ADVERTISEMENT

Phil, boo’s and PN

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
Late post, Phil’s entire 6 year career has been the definition of inconsistent. That’s why I may have been in the minority to not be excited when he signed. IMO CV is better and has more upside. Yarnell is a better pure passer than Phil also (yes small sample size for both Yarnell & CV). Phil is what he is after 6 years. He can have a real nice game, he can be ok, or horrible like this past game.

He didn’t quit as he shouldn’t and runs pretty well. But he lacks pocket awareness. Has a weak arm, poor accuracy (10/32 just flat out horrible). This was not on the OL, WRs, etc. Sure everyone could’ve played better, but make no doubt about it Phil lost the game.

With all that being said…after the game Phil should have acted like a leader/team player and took responsibility for his awful play. Instead he was sensitive and immature. I’m not one to boo the guys who put on the Pitt blue and gold as long as they give everything they have. But Phil reacted horribly and showed no leadership skills.

At the end of the day with NIL, he is a paid pro and should act like it as a near 24 year old 6th year guy. PN will take heat for him and say the fans were booing PN. Thats why players go all out (almost always) for PN because he has their backs.

As for PN the next move and the season is on him. Anyone who knows my posting history knows I support PN but will be critical when it’s warranted. Phil could come out and light up WVU or be horrible again (no one knows). But if it’s the latter PN needs to have the quick hook ready. We may not have Kancey, Izzy or Dennis but we have more talent than WVU and still have a chance to have a pretty nice year. PN can’t let loyalty such as a recruiting promise to a last chance transfer cost us the WVU game and a nice season.

Last edited:
Late post, Phil’s entire 6 year career has been the definition of inconsistent. That’s why I may have been in the minority to not be excited when he signed. IMO CV is better and has way more upside. Yarnell is a better pure passer than Phil also (yes small sample size for both Yarnell & CV). And no I’m not the guy to call for the back up qb. But Phil is what he is after 6 years. He can have a real nice game, he can be ok, or horrible like this past game where he is the reason Pitt lost.

He didn’t quit as he shouldn’t and runs pretty well. But he lacks pocket awareness. Has a weak arm, poor accuracy (10/32 just flat out horrible). This was not on the OL, WRs, etc. Sure everyone could’ve played better, but make no doubt about it Phil lost the game.

With all that being said…after the game Phil should have acted like a leader/team player and took responsibility for his awful play. Instead he was sensitive and immature. I’m not one to boo the guys who put on the Pitt blue and gold as long as they give everything they have. But Phil reacted horribly and showed no leadership skills.

At the end of the day with NIL, he is a paid pro and should act like it as a near 24 year old 6th year guy. PN will take heat for him and say the fans were booing PN. Thats why players go all out (almost always) for PN because he has their backs.

Now moving on to PN. The next move and the season is on him. Anyone who knows my posting history knows I support PN but will be critical when it’s warranted. Phil could come out and light up WVU or be horrible again (no one knows). But if it’s the latter PN needs to have the quick hook ready. We may not have Kancey, Izzy or Dennis but we have more talent than WVU and still have a chance to have a pretty nice year. PN can’t let loyalty such as a recruiting promise to a last chance transfer cost us the WVU game and a nice season.

They will come out, try to play it safe, get a stupid penalty, end up third and long, throw a 2 yard pass, punt and WVU will play aggressive and go up 7-0 three minutes in.

They will come out, try to play it safe, get a stupid penalty, end up third and long, throw a 2 yard pass, punt and WVU will play aggressive and go up 7-0 three minutes in.
Hope not. But if you mean play it safe as in running on WVU, I believe Pitt can. Now can Phil pass on them…?

Reactions: Jeffburgh
What’s wild is that the matchup of Cig and Jurk isn’t some random chance. It’s the culmination of multiple years of Duz plotting and planning to get these guys in here… despite the fact neither had distinguished themselves. They had merely been Ok in their season together (BC seemed happy to be rid of both of them), and not even that in their separate years at other schools as OC and QB. We weren’t striving to bring Lincoln Riley and C Williams together here; closer to Chryst and Tino.

It’s only one year (though we’re saddled with Cig for at least three), hopefully we can muddle though. But … How many other likely better Oc and QB prospects did Duz cast aside in this relentless Quest For Dire?

Late post, Phil’s entire 6 year career has been the definition of inconsistent. That’s why I may have been in the minority to not be excited when he signed. IMO CV is better and has more upside. Yarnell is a better pure passer than Phil also (yes small sample size for both Yarnell & CV). Phil is what he is after 6 years. He can have a real nice game, he can be ok, or horrible like this past game.

As for PN the next move and the season is on him. Anyone who knows my posting history knows I support PN but will be critical when it’s warranted. Phil could come out and light up WVU or be horrible again (no one knows). But if it’s the latter PN needs to have the quick hook ready. We may not have Kancey, Izzy or Dennis but we have more talent than WVU and still have a chance to have a pretty nice year. PN can’t let loyalty such as a recruiting promise to a last chance transfer cost us the WVU game and a nice season.
Agree with some of your points, disagree with others.

If CV or Yarnell gave Pitt a better chance to win, I'm sure they would be out there.

One thing I totally disagree with is putting the loss all on Phil's shoulders. Overall, Phil was awful, but there's plenty of blame to go around, starting with the offensive line. The defense also played an abysmal first half.

Also, I know it's cool to beat up on Phil for his play on Saturday night. His accuracy, pocket presence, field vision, arm strength, etc have been hashed out over and over in the last 48 hours. And there is validity to all that. But while he had the one fumble, I think he deserves at least some credit for not giving up the back-breaking turnovers that could have easily led to a blowout loss. With the lack of protection Saturday night, that could have easily happened. He got away with a few 50/50 balls, (and by a few, I mean several) but at least they were downfield. As mightily as Jurk struggled Saturday, I think there is at least something to be said for the fact that he still threw for 3 TDs without a pick and actually had Pitt in the game with a chance to win.

I don't think it's fair to judge his leadership based on the post-game presser. I have no problem with his response. Just because he didn't respond the way people want or expect doesn't make his response horrible, imo. The fans that are overly critical about his response are probably the same people that were seething at the teeth after Deion's TCU post-game presser. If you watch the whole video of Phil, the media prodded and did their best to get him to say a little more, but he showed restraint. When questioning flipped to the WVU game, Jurk stated that he liked playing on the road... and they couldn't let that one go. They tried so hard to bait him into expounding on that to get something else controversial out there for public consumption.

Reactions: jayhawks65

If CV or Yarnell gave Pitt a better chance to win, I'm sure they would be out there.

One thing I totally disagree with is putting the loss all on Phil's shoulders. Overall, Phil was awful, but there's plenty of blame to go around, starting with the offensive line. The defense also played an abysmal first half.

Also, I know it's cool to beat up on Phil for his play on Saturday night. His accuracy, pocket presence, field vision, arm strength, etc have been hashed out over and over in the last 48 hours. And there is validity to all that. But while he had the one fumble, I think he deserves at least some credit for not giving up the back-breaking turnovers that could have easily led to a blowout loss. With the lack of protection Saturday night, that could have easily happened. He got away with a few 50/50 balls, (and by a few, I mean several) but at least they were downfield. As mightily as Jurk struggled Saturday, I think there is at least something to be said for the fact that he still threw for 3 TDs without a pick and actually had Pitt in the game with a chance to win.

I don't think it's fair to judge his leadership based on the post-game presser. I have no problem with his response. Just because he didn't respond the way people want or expect doesn't make his response horrible, imo. The fans that are overly critical about his response are probably the same people that were seething at the teeth after Deion's TCU post-game presser. If you watch the whole video of Phil, the media prodded and did their best to get him to say a little more, but he showed restraint. When questioning flipped to the WVU game, Jurk stated that he liked playing on the road... and they couldn't let that one go. They tried so hard to bait him into expounding on that to get something else controversial out there for public consumption.
Phil is our OC’s guy, everyone knows the decision on starting QB was made the second he picked Pitt, there was no open comp. PN lets his OC’s do their thing and doesn’t micromanage. Therefore PN holds plenty of blame as I said.

I did give him “credit” as you said for not giving up. But should we have to give a guy credit for not quitting?

The media didn’t make Phil say anything. He should be more media savvy, and say something such as: we, but specifically me has to play better. This is on me, I take responsibility, I’ll learn from this. If they ask him more about booing he could simply say: I may not agree with the booing but I didn’t give them a lot to cheer about, once again, this is on me and our team.

I stated everyone including OL could have played better. But 10 for 32…the QB was by far the biggest culprit and it’s not even close.

Rewatch the game or just watch the condensed game on the ACC YouTube to see how bad he was. I’ll help out with a few time stamped examples (could give a ton more)…

-1st shown pass announcer states, “that is way behind the intended receiver Bub Means”. Literally threw the ball out of bounce 8 yards behind Bub. Yet some want to blame Bub. I understand he doesn’t have a big arm but if you are going to throw it up give the WR a chance like Patti did when Bub made some huge contested catches vs UCLA.

-6:25 mark doesn’t give Gavin a chance with bad overthrow.

-8:50 another weak armed under throw where Johnson doesn’t have a chance.

-11:10 getting ripped (outmuscled) by a DB who is listed as 50 pounds less than Phil. This was not some strip from behind.

-12:55 no awareness when flushed out of the pocket.

-13:10 another bad under throw not giving the WR a chance.

-19:10 Reynolds, would have to make an unbelievable type of catch on this poor throw.

-19:23 doesn’t give WR a chance on 3rd down unless they change the rules and allow guys to catch a ball 6 yards out of bounds.

-19:36 you can’t take a sack here. If he had any pocket awareness, he would’ve picked up the blitzing linebacker. This was a delayed blitz where the linebacker started at least 10 yards on the other side of the LOS giving Phil plenty of time to pick it up. But he’s never been know for his FB IQ.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittbb80

I presume the Boston sports media never covers BC because his media presence was absolutely horrible. For being a QB for this many years he seemed like a kid out of a small PA a county after his first college game being interviewed.

Moxie? Oh boy.

Reactions: 4upmc
I presume the Boston sports media never covers BC because his media presence was absolutely horrible. For being a QB for this many years he seemed like a kid out of a small PA a county after his first college game being interviewed.

Moxie? Oh boy.
Yep horrible media presence.

You figure he would have learned a little when he struggled in his limited media time with ND. Phil came off as spoiled when it was mentioned he had his parents speak to coaches about PT. Then he said ND lied to him with recruiting promises (most schools make “promises”). My guess is you are correct about Boston sports media and BC.

As a near 24 year old 6th year guy, I was surprised how bad he was with the media.

and runs pretty well. But he lacks pocket awareness. Has a weak arm, poor accuracy (10/32 just flat out horrible).
Other than that hes great............lol

Like you I hope he comes through but also hope Duzz pulls the trigger in the likelihood that he continues to play horribly. Sadly Im not sure Duzz will do that but he risks losing he team if he doesnt. Cant preach everyone has to earn a job and then let the transfer QB stink out the joint two years in a row.

Reactions: 4upmc
Phil is our OC’s guy, everyone knows the decision on starting QB was made the second he picked Pitt, there was no open comp. PN lets his OC’s do their thing and doesn’t micromanage. Therefore PN holds plenty of blame as I said.

I did give him “credit” as you said for not giving up. But should we have to give a guy credit for not quitting?

The media didn’t make Phil say anything. He should be more media savvy, and say something such as: we, but specifically me has to play better. This is on me, I take responsibility, I’ll learn from this. If they ask him more about booing he could simply say: I may not agree with the booing but I didn’t give them a lot to cheer about, once again, this is on me and our team.

I stated everyone including OL could have played better. But 10 for 32…the QB was by far the biggest culprit and it’s not even close.

Rewatch the game or just watch the condensed game on the ACC YouTube to see how bad he was. I’ll help out with a few time stamped examples (could give a ton more)…

-1st shown pass announcer states, “that is way behind the intended receiver Bub Means”. Literally threw the ball out of bounce 8 yards behind Bub. Yet some want to blame Bub. I understand he doesn’t have a big arm but if you are going to throw it up give the WR a chance like Patti did when Bub made some huge contested catches vs UCLA.

-11:10 getting ripped (outmuscled) by a DB who is listed as 50 pounds less than Phil. This was not some strip from behind.

-19:10 Reynolds, would have to make an unbelievable type of catch on this poor throw.

-19:23 doesn’t give WR a chance on 3rd down unless they change the rules and allow guys to catch a ball 6 yards out of bounds.

-19:36 you can’t take a sack here. If he had any pocket awareness, he would’ve picked up the blitzing linebacker. This was a delayed blitz where the linebacker started at least 10 yards on the other side of the LOS giving Phil plenty of time to pick it up. But he’s never been know for his FB IQ.
Offensive line was blown up all night. Not much from the running game. Defense had Pitt in catch up mode all night.

Jurk sucked ass, but there's more than enough blame to go around.

That is appreciated. You did neglect to add that PJ often gestured angrily at the receiver afterward, as if it was the receiver who was to blame. It’s possible that they sometimes are to blame of course, but certainly not on the throws that were way out of bounds, way overthrown, woefully underthrown etc. Either way, while every QB is human and might occasionally show frustration, for him to do it in exaggerated form nearly every time was … unfortunate.

No sense in using stronger words than those, because the Hc is never, ever going to yank him so we may as well shut up about it and place blind faith that he gets it together.

Reactions: gary2

I hate to say it, but, I don't think we have better talent than WVU where it matters most. I think their lines are superior to ours on both sides of the ball, especially the offensive line. They will surely run on us just like Cincy did. I doubt we run on them with any great degree of success. Our offensive line has been awful for 2 games. I don't expect that to change at WVU. That will put immense pressure on Phil to make the offense go.
The game is going to represent the Cincy game where we get behind early if the defense isn't capable of stopping the run. I dont have a ton of faith in them stopping it either. The WVU starting OL and RB are better than Cincinnati had. You can bet the Duzz will be stacking the box which will leave our smallish d-backs one-on-one. WVU's QB doesn't look like much of a passer tho. I really don't like our chances tho overall. The Duzz will have us ready to play, but, perhaps the biggest deciding factor will be how many bonehead mistakes we make.

Reactions: pittmaninwv

Ordinarily as a general statement this would be true, but not when you bring a 6th year transfer in as the pre-ordained starter. There was never any question that Jurk would start and finish these early non-con games, and he will start again against WVU despite how bad he was against Cinci.

The real question is, if Jurk continues to struggle to move the offense against WVU, will Dooz make the move to QB2, and if so, at what point?

Ordinarily as a general statement this would be true, but not when you bring a 6th year transfer in as the pre-ordained starter. There was never any question that Jurk would start and finish these early non-con games, and he will start again against WVU despite how bad he was against Cinci.

The real question is, if Jurk continues to struggle to move the offense against WVU, will Dooz make the move to QB2, and if so, at what point?
I think Staying with Jurk was absolutely the right move Saturday night. It's wishful thinking to believe that a QB with no more experience than those other guys were going to come in and provide any spark behind that piss poor line play. Realistically, I think there is a good probability they make things worse.

When Jurk starts turning it over and digging the hole deeper, he has to sit. If the protection is there and his accuracy is as off as it was Saturday night, or if he has protection, receivers open, and continually has trouble finding them, he has to sit. Even if that's in the WVU game. JMO.

Other than that hes great............lol

Like you I hope he comes through but also hope Duzz pulls the trigger in the likelihood that he continues to play horribly. Sadly Im not sure Duzz will do that but he risks losing he team if he doesnt. Cant preach everyone has to earn a job and then let the transfer QB stink out the joint two years in a row.
Lol. Yes hopefully he comes through. He has had nice games in his career (pre injuries vs Pitt maybe his best). So yes it can be done. But he’s had really bad games as well. One word…inconsistent.

Agree about earning the job. But fine Phil, you get the start and can shut up everyone (like 4upmc lol). However if you start as poor as the last game we need a relief pitcher ready to go and hopefully spark a win.

PN has waited too long to pull the trigger with a change in the past such as DiNucci. Stubborn or whatever he can’t wait this long if we don’t see dramatic improvement.

Reactions: pittbb80

Pre ordained starter is right. Nothing the other guys did in camp would matter.

If he struggles PN’s past shows he waits longer than he should to make a move. Therefore really need Phil to be good. He has to be better right? And playing on the road is better for him if he lets the home crowd get to him.

When Jurk starts turning it over and digging the hole deeper, he has to sit.
You realize that passes other than INT’s are just as bad as turnovers many times. His passes were soooo far off that it was impossible to have an INT. For example his first 3rd down pass was 8 yards away from Bub and out of bounds. No DB in the world could INT that pass, but no WR in the world could catch it, leading to…you guessed it a “turnover” on downs.

As a Pitt fan I sure as heck hope you are right and he plays well. I believe PN has the team ready and Pitt wins somehow…

Reactions: Jeffburgh
So media presence = fake canned answers and saying what we want and expect to hear?

Yes. Fan feelings are hurt too easily. You can't be mean to them. Phil can say "SMF is an asshole" is every post-game presser and I would be cool with it as long as he won.

Pre ordained starter is right. Nothing the other guys did in camp would matter.

If he struggles PN’s past shows he waits longer than he should to make a move. Therefore really need Phil to be good. He has to be better right? And playing on the road is better for him if he lets the home crowd get to him.
Yup just like Slowvis was preordained and Duzz stuck with him until slowvis bailed. Patti was clearly the better option. Although Nick had injury issues so it’s hard to say how long he would have lasted had he made the switch.

I think Staying with Jurk was absolutely the right move Saturday night. It's wishful thinking to believe that a QB with no more experience than those other guys were going to come in and provide any spark behind that piss poor line play. Realistically, I think there is a good probability they make things worse.

When Jurk starts turning it over and digging the hole deeper, he has to sit. If the protection is there and his accuracy is as off as it was Saturday night, or if he has protection, receivers open, and continually has trouble finding them, he has to sit. Even if that's in the WVU game. JMO.
I agree. And despite his struggles I think it’s very important to give him this next start. If he can’t get it done Saturday, a change will definitely be in order and Dooz would be a fool not to give someone else a look.

Reactions: TD_6082
Yup just like Slowvis was preordained and Duzz stuck with him until slowvis bailed. Patti was clearly the better option. Although Nick had injury issues so it’s hard to say how long he would have lasted had he made the switch.
I don’t think it was at all clear to anyone that Patti was the better option.

I don’t think it was at all clear to anyone that Patti was the better option.
Start of season, no. In the GT game, definitely he should have relieved Slovis in the second half. Of course, Patti had been injured, so might not have been healthy then. If not, Yarnell should have been brought in. The Princeton guy. Davis running the Wildcat. Sauls trying FGs on first down everywhere would have been a better option. And so forth. You can’t just forfeit that game. You can’t. That was a gimme game. But he did.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
I agree. And despite his struggles I think it’s very important to give him this next start. If he can’t get it done Saturday, a change will definitely be in order and Dooz would be a fool not to give someone else a look.

I think he gets UNC either way. Tough to break in a new QB in that one. But if we start 1-3 and he struggles, you'd have to think Villeaux would be the starter in Blacksburg.

I agree, but if he plays a first half like last week, I would make the switch at halftime. However, I don't think Duzz will make the switch in-game unless it's clearly out of reach and CV comes in during garbage time.

If PJ stinks in Morgantown, I don't think there's any way you can start him against UNC. He'll get booed to high heaven the first time he steps on the field. The only positive will be a lack of crowd to boo after starting 1-2.

You realize that passes other than INT’s are just as bad as turnovers many times. His passes were soooo far off that it was impossible to have an INT. For example his first 3rd down pass was 8 yards away from Bub and out of bounds. No DB in the world could INT that pass, but no WR in the world could catch it, leading to…you guessed it a “turnover” on downs.

As a Pitt fan I sure as heck hope you are right and he plays well. I believe PN has the team ready and Pitt wins somehow…
Those passes weren't anywhere near as bad as turnovers. Had Jurkovec started throwing picks Saturday night, as bad as he was, the game would have been a route similar to the 45-3 Covid year loss to Notre Dame when Joey Yellen went 10/27 with 3 INTs.

Those passes weren't anywhere near as bad as turnovers. Had Jurkovec started throwing picks Saturday night, as bad as he was, the game would have been a route similar to the 45-3 Covid year loss to Notre Dame when Joey Yellen went 10/27 with 3 INTs.
Speaking of Old Yellen, it's worth noting that he is presently 3rd string at Hawaii as a 5th year senior. And we had certain posters on the Lair saying he should have started at Pitt.

Ok…those of you who defended this God awful QB in this thread. Dare you to find a single way to defend him? I’ll wait…

Boo Phil vs NC. Prove us wrong. We would love it. Cross a 50% completion record we might slow down. Simply win a game and we might stop. Just be a game manager at least. Don't ride defensive coattails. Do what you are supposed to. You might practice 365 days a year. We apparently waste 365 days a year getting our hopes up watching these sites.

I think you have seen the light and agree it’s time to bench the Jerk right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT