ADVERTISEMENT

Phillippi Transfer Official

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Steve Patrick just wrote a story for Vuckovan's site saying the transfer is official. UVA would not give him a full release, so he will have to sit out this season, and then will have 3 years of eligibility.

In the story, Patrick also hints that Forys may redshirt this year so that he can finish out his career when Pittsburgh hosts the NCAA championships in 2019. That would really hurt this season but would make the team better the following year.

For Luke's uncle: the story mentions that 7 of Phillippi's 14 losses in high school (in 4 years of wrestling) were to Luke.

Totally unrelated: Flo Wrestling is reporting that PSU sophomore to be Nick Suriano may transfer to Rutgers. Apparently, he stopped taking classes at PSU and has been working out with the Rutgers club team. The PSU website reports that Cael has been traveling back and forth to NJ to try to get him to return.

This could be a big break for tOSU if true. PSU doesn't have another 125 pounder on its roster and Cael didn't recruit one in the incoming class. He also hasn't recruited one in the 2018 class, focusing instead on a kid in the 2019 class who was expected to replace Suriano after he graduated. Even with 5 national champions returning, it could make PSU vulnerable. They didn't qualify anyone for the NCAAs at 133 last year, their 141 pounder graduated, and tOSU has a team which could well push them this year especially if they don't have Suriano.

Reactions: PantherMMA
I'll be skeptical on the Suriano news but that would be Insanity. If you listened to Dalton Macri on the PA Power podcast he said he left Cornell because he just didn't fit in with the student body there. I've heard similar things about Suriano and PSU (I certainly wouldn't feel at home there.)

Very happy about Phillippi, I'm confused about the Forys Fenstermacher Phillippi weight dynamic though. Dom RS this upcoming season, KJ starts at 33 or 41, Phillippi sits....but then what?

I think Phillippi probably fits in at 141. If Forys doesn't redshirt, there is no issue. If he does, then you go with the top 2 out of the three. It's a better problem to have then trying to find a guy who can wrestle at a weight, which happened far too frequently with Peters.

Reactions: PantherMMA
I think Phillippi probably fits in at 141. If Forys doesn't redshirt, there is no issue. If he does, then you go with the top 2 out of the three. It's a better problem to have then trying to find a guy who can wrestle at a weight, which happened far too frequently with Peters.

If Phillippi is a 41 like you say, then I see KJ starting at 33 while Dom redshirts then next year KJ will redshirt while Dom starts.

...assuming Fenstermacher is a 33.

The article says that Forys is thinking about redshirting so that he can close his career at the NCAAs in Pittsburgh. I'm sure the staff doesn't want that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT