ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett and Whipple

rpastir

Freshman
Dec 31, 2008
I'm very happy to see that KP is returning for another year. However, as others have posted, that most likely means Whipple is staying too.

So, my question to the board is: Would you rather have KP and Whipple come back?....or would you rather take our chances with a new QB and OC?

H2P.

I'm very happy to see that KP is returning for another year. However, as others have posted, that most likely means Whipple is staying too.

So, my question to the board is: Would you rather have KP and Whipple come back?....or would you rather take our chances with a new QB and OC?

H2P.
I am not a fan of the OC or OL coach, but in this case I’d take the offer of Pickett and Whipple rather than a new OC and unknown QB.

Vince Davis proved when he has some room he can take a game over. I agree with you guys O line has to do their part. It starts in the weight room now!

H2P.
I know I am probably in the minority, but I think Whipple should be brought back. Narduzzi hasn't had an O Coordinator for more than 2 years, and I think that revolving door has been problematic. Given that, I think Narduzzi was basically stuck with Whipple for at least 3 years, unless Whipple got a better offer. But I think that was part of the motivation of Narduzzi hiring Whipple as opposed to an up and comer -- Whipple is at the stage of his career where he wants to finish out his career here and not bounce around, so Narduzzi didn't have to worry about Whipple being a repeat of Canada. Having Pickett come back with Whipple makes it all the better.

Yes, I am critical of his play calling, but I am sure Whipple would call more balanced games if we had an O line that could run block.

Again, Whipple isn't the problem, its our undersized, atrocious OL

The OL actually played better the last four games. I thought Morrisey played his best football at the end of the season and some of the younger guys actually looked decent. The good news is that they are recruiting bigger linemen in these last two classes so that's some good news.

The most glaring question I have for the OL coach is why didn’t #76 (Gonclaves) play earlier in the year? He made a big impact and was clearly one of their 5 best OL.

Maybe some guys are just gamers and now they know.

The one knock on Jerry Rice was speed. But he rarely got caught when the lights were on.

And by no means am I suggesting we have any Jerry Rices in terms of talent.

Since we’re stuck with Coach Duzz for at least another year, I’d rather have that year with KP than without him. And I imagine that KP doesn’t stay, at least at Pitt, if a new OC were coming in...

Go Pitt.

Unpopular opinion probably, but I will take the combo back. A new OC does not help us beat Clemson, ND, or Miami this year. Possibly we get the wins over NC State and BC. I always thought Pickett got burnt by losing his redshirt year, so will see what he can give us in what should have been his redshirt senior season. The question now becomes who transfers out? Patti?

To answer your question, I think we need to look at it this way: If you’re Coach Narduzzi and 2021 is a make-or-break season, would you rather take your chances with a 5th-year starting QB or a new offensive system led by an unproven QB?

Personally, I was in favor of moving on from Whipple but if it means bringing Pickett back, I think you have to retain him.

If you're looking at it solely for next year, then it's probably better to have Pickett and Whipple then a new OC and a new QB. My guess is that Duzz knows he needs wins next year or he's going to be looking for a new job.

With a veteran Pickett in the same offense, 8 or 9 wins against next year's schedule isn't out of the question.

If you're looking at it solely for next year, then it's probably better to have Pickett and Whipple then a new OC and a new QB. My guess is that Duzz knows he needs wins next year or he's going to be looking for a new job.

With a veteran Pickett in the same offense, 8 or 9 wins against next year's schedule isn't out of the question.
If he doesn’t win 8 or more games next year, then we have some issues. Anything less than 8-5 is simply not getting the job done.

UMass - H
Tennessee - A
W. Michigan - H
N. Hampshire - H
Duke - A
GT - A
Clemson - H
Miami - H
UNC - H
UVA - H
SU - A
VT - A

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
If he doesn’t win 8 or more games next year, then we have some issues. Anything less than 8-5 is simply not getting the job done.

UMass - H
Tennessee - A
W. Michigan - H
N. Hampshire - H
Duke - A
GT - A
Clemson - H
Miami - H
UNC - H
GT - H
SU - A
VT - A
I wonder what the baseline number of regular season wins would be for Narduzzi to stay? Clemson is likely a loss, UNC and Miami should be tossups but they have recruited better than us, and who knows about Tennessee.

My expectation would be a loss against Clemson, win at least one out of the other three mentioned above, and then win the rest. 9-3 with a bowl win would be enough for him to stay, IMO. I’d be on the fence with 8-4. Anything less and I think a coaching change would be necessary.

I wonder what the baseline number of regular season wins would be for Narduzzi to stay? Clemson is likely a loss, UNC and Miami should be tossups but they have recruited better than us, and who knows about Tennessee.

My expectation would be a loss against Clemson, win at least one out of the other three mentioned above, and then win the rest. 9-3 with a bowl win would be enough for him to stay, IMO. I’d be on the fence with 8-4. Anything less and I think a coaching change would be necessary.
Might add that it’s how they play for him. Hasn’t been an issue getting effort from his teams. Expect 76 and 78 to bolster and easily replace 77 and 57. I know their names. Just lazy.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Might add that it’s how they play for him. Hasn’t been an issue getting effort from his teams. Expect 76 and 78 to bolster and easily replace 77 and 57. I know their names. Just lazy.
Although I’m not a fan of Whipple, I am interested to see what his offense looks like with an improved line. If the rushing game (line + emergence of Abanikanda) can take that next step, I think offense can see a big boost. I’d also be interested to see how Pickett performs when he isn’t always carrying the load.

I agree. I’d rather move on from Whip, but I think Duzz knows next yr is critical for him. If he is keeping Coach Whip, that must mean he feels confident.

UMass - H
Tennessee - A
W. Michigan - H
N. Hampshire - H
Duke - A
GT - A
Clemson - H
Miami - H
UNC - H
GT - H
SU - A
VT - A
GT Tech away again????

The OL actually played better the last four games. I thought Morrisey played his best football at the end of the season and some of the younger guys actually looked decent. The good news is that they are recruiting bigger linemen in these last two classes so that's some good news.

I thought the entire offense played much better the last 4 games too. The WR drops were back for the 1st qtr of the Clemson game, and Kenny was erratic in the GT game, but overall, it seemed to be improving.

I thought the entire offense played much better the last 4 games too. The WR drops were back for the 1st qtr of the Clemson game, and Kenny was erratic in the GT game, but overall, it seemed to be improving.

The drops are a major problem and the staff needs to bring in that playmaker. Addison won't be enough with Turner leaving. GT was Pickett's worst game. Honestly believe that he played hurt most of the season.

Reactions: TD_6082
The drops are a major problem and the staff needs to bring in that playmaker. Addison won't be enough with Turner leaving. GT was Pickett's worst game. Honestly believe that he played hurt most of the season.
Is Turner definitely gone? I saw some tweets by him after Kenny said he was staying.

Any chance Pickett stayed on the condition that he was not running to the sideline every play for the call?

Even more to the point. Any chance they are going to let him call some of his own plays? No way I come back if I am KP without getting some control of play calling to help prepare for the NFL.

A true TE threat would go a long way to help KP be more effective. Good offenses get a ton of 3rd-down conversions and red-zone TDs from their TEs...

Go Pitt.

Again, Whipple isn't the problem, its our undersized, atrocious OL

The OC is responsible for poor recruiting, developing talent, getting the players in positions that they can be succesfull at, tweaking the offense to use what you have, designing plays, etc., so Whipple is the problem, IMO.

Any chance Pickett stayed on the condition that he was not running to the sideline every play for the call?
Pickett is one who says it’s helpful to get insights from Whipple while getting the call.

Some fans and a few announcers are the ones who complain.

Whipple has to call a better game day but not being able to run the ball limits an offense. Have to have a balance. Again it comes down to the players executing their blocks on the line and the wrs catching the ball. The RBs have to do better running the ball to seeing the creases in the line. V Davis did a nice job of that in the last game. TE is important in Whipple's scheme. Not happy with the play calling but its numerous problems that held the offense back.

Reactions: Hilton Head Panther

Lyke isn’t going to fire anyone short of 2-3 consecutive losing seasons. Pitt admin is happy with mostly 6-8 win seasons and no losing records—no interest in trying for better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT