ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett

Well you can be smug but he’s not the only one. And he’s connected, and not a $hit stirrer or click baiter. I’m just saying that the only reason we are questioning Dan Moore vs Jones is because of where Jones was drafted. There is possible that Moore is better.
If Moore is better Wilson better wear extra rib protectors because he is gonna be a human
guac lol GIF by Justin Gammon

Dan Moore is almost 26. Broderick Jones just turned 23. It's possible the year 4 guy is better than the year 2 guy right now. It's also possible that changes at some point. There are some pretty good tackles in the league who struggled early on.

What's not possible, however, is for Kenny Pickett to complete a pass that travels more than 96 inches in the air :)
Kenny better get to the clinic quick with all these crabs on his 🥜 s😉

Reactions: 303vND
I’m just saying that the only reason we are questioning Dan Moore vs Jones is because of where Jones was drafted. There is possible that Moore is better.

Actually I think the reason that people question Moore versus Jones is that they've watched Moore be one of the worst tackles in the NFL the last couple of seasons, and Jones was mostly decent when he finally got to play last year.

There are really only two ways that Moore is actually better. First of all, and maybe most likely, Jones' injury is much worse than they are letting on and it is seriously compromising his play. Or secondly, and far less likely, it could be that somehow Moore improved by leaps and bounds over the off season. Because he wasn't better last year. At all. And he certainly wasn't better the year before either.

Reactions: pittbb80
I agree with you but try telling that to most of the football world. The Myles Garrett love over TJ is the strangest phenomenon I’ve seen in recent years. ESPN has him at like the #4 player in the NFL and TJ the #10 player.
My brother and I had this very same conversation a few weeks ago. It's nuts. It's bananas. It's completely unexplainable. But here it is: ESPN

Well, pro game is a bit different for a LT. Everyone is crazy fast. If Moore is better, that's great but if Jones can't even start at RT, that's really bad.

Shocked at how awful Jones has looked at RT. So awful that you have to wonder why the Steelers ever put him there.

Jones should be the starting LT. I don't know why they're playing around with him.

Shocked at how awful Jones has looked at RT. So awful that you have to wonder why the Steelers ever put him there.

Jones should be the starting LT. I don't know why they're playing around with him.
It's the Steelers. You just draft guys and they can play any position without ever playing it before. Or they hold you way down the depth chart until the last minute and throw you in games. They even threw Watt on the other side and watched him flounder until they realized he can't beat good LT's.

Me: Man, this offense is just so bad. Is there anyone close to the top of the league at any position?
Friend: Offense does suck but that defense is so much better than last year. Defense will win games.
And that is how the Steelers became what they are.

The season can't start soon enough. Everyone is predicting and offering opinions, but no one truly knows $hit. A lot of bias coming across in this thread.

Soon, the proof will be in the pudding so to speak. Both for the Steelers and for Pitt football.

He is playing with a brace in his right shoulder - which explains why . He can’t do leverage on his outside properly

Lack of options .
Moore can’t play RT .
The rookie is injured
They have big problems if they have no other options than a rookie who is hurt. Jones can't play RT either, and apparently Moore can't play either.

Offensive line has been an issue for a while and it hasn't gotten any better. It's nice that they finally realized they might need to draft some guys, but you need to bring in some free agents to help transition. This entire OL group is a disaster.

• Haha
Reactions: FreeportPanther
Terrell Edmunds released by Jags. Here are Steelers top picks since TJ Watt was drafted in 2017:

2018-Terrell Edmunds
2019-Devin Bush
2020-Chase Claypool
2021-Najee Harris
2022-Kenny Pickett
2023-Broderick Jones
2024-Troy Fautanu
Actually I think the reason that people question Moore versus Jones is that they've watched Moore be one of the worst tackles in the NFL the last couple of seasons, and Jones was mostly decent when he finally got to play last year.

There are really only two ways that Moore is actually better. First of all, and maybe most likely, Jones' injury is much worse than they are letting on and it is seriously compromising his play. Or secondly, and far less likely, it could be that somehow Moore improved by leaps and bounds over the off season. Because he wasn't better last year. At all. And he certainly wasn't better the year before either.
Or three, as Doug Whaley said this AM, you have to wonder if something is going on off the field with Jones because he hasn’t developed.

And you know this how?

I've watched them. Jones had a piss poor game at RT recently but he doesn't like that spot. Also, pretty sure his PFF rating at LT is better than Moore's. I could wrong. I think Jones allowed half the sacks in the same amount of games played, as a rookie. He should be the LT. Tomlin needs to stop dicking around with the OL.

I've watched them. Jones had a piss poor game at RT recently but he doesn't like that spot. Also, pretty sure his PFF rating at LT is better than Moore's. I could wrong. I think Jones allowed half the sacks in the same amount of games played, as a rookie. He should be the LT. Tomlin needs to stop dicking around with the OL.
How is his PFF at LT better when he hasn't played a down at LT?

How is his PFF at LT better when he hasn't played a down at LT?

I said I could be wrong, but it doesn't matter. He outperformed Moore at the T position, and he doesn't like the right side. Why are both Jones and Fantanu practicing there?

Terrell Edmunds released by Jags. Here are Steelers top picks since TJ Watt was drafted in 2017:

2018-Terrell Edmunds
2019-Devin Bush
2020-Chase Claypool
2021-Najee Harris
2022-Kenny Pickett
2023-Broderick Jones
2024-Troy Fautanu

Or three, as Doug Whaley said this AM, you have to wonder if something is going on off the field with Jones because he hasn’t developed.
The third is not he hasn’t developed but based on these preseason games it would appear he’s regressed. He didn’t look near this bad last year. I guess we’ll find out ima few weeks

2018-Terrell Edmunds
2019-Devin Bush
2020-Chase Claypool
2021-Najee Harris
2022-Kenny Pickett
2023-Broderick Jones
2024-Troy Fautanu

After 1 season ?
C’mon
As noted - he’s playing with a brace on his right shoulder .
Sadly - even hurt he’s still the best option

H
I said I could be wrong, but it doesn't matter. He outperformed Moore at the T position, and he doesn't like the right side. Why are both Jones and Fantanu practicing there?
fantanu has been injured since the first preseason game
I get that folks don’t watch preseason - but that’s why .

Reactions: pittdan77
They have big problems if they have no other options than a rookie who is hurt. Jones can't play RT either, and apparently Moore can't play either.

Offensive line has been an issue for a while and it hasn't gotten any better. It's nice that they finally realized they might need to draft some guys, but you need to bring in some free agents to help transition. This entire OL group is a disaster.
It’s has been for years .
Was even bad the back end of Ben’s career - he was just a backyard type qb who made it work , despite taking tons of sacks

Reactions: pittdan77
Because the coaches are boneheads. That is the only logical conclusion. I have no idea how their O Line coach is still employed.

It’s has been for years .
Was even bad the back end of Ben’s career - he was just a backyard type qb who made it work , despite taking tons of sacks
Yeah, this. The line was built for the run. The OL was never built for the passing game when Ben was here. He just made it work. Somewhere along the way they decided the OL isn't really worth putting much money into and here's where you are.

Looking at the roster, they're not deep at many key positions. Was either neglect or maybe just wishing they'd get by. Obviously the cap limits you but never being able to draft quality starters on the first two days is killing the franchise.

Because of the constant mis-evaluation and player development that has plagued this franchise for over a decade.

Because of the constant mis-evaluation and player development that has plagued this franchise for over a decade.
Their biggest mistake was one that most franchises make with aging star QB's. They tried to squeeze a little more juice out of a dry lemon by drafting weapons to assist Ben when they should have blown it up and started fresh, especially in the trenches.

Their biggest mistake was one that most franchises make with aging star QB's. They tried to squeeze a little more juice out of a dry lemon by drafting weapons to assist Ben when they should have blown it up and started fresh, especially in the trenches.
You can even go back to when the Steelers were "good" and it was never a strong pass blocking unit. DeCastro and Pouncey were both better run blockers but easily better than anyone up front right now. But then you had guys like Kelvin Beachum, Mike Adams, and Villanueva at left tackle. Team hasn't had a good left tackle since Max Starks hung it up. The last good offensive line, as a unit, was 2012.

There is something to be said about continuity. Nothing good comes out of a coaching carousel. But in this case, we may have the exact opposite, and that’s complacency with Rooney…if we haven’t achieved it already. If this season is an abject failure, it should be curtains for Tomlin. But I think you’re right. He has a job here for as long as he wants one.
I'm not a Tomlin hater AT ALL. And yet I look at the Matt Canada saga and I'm still amazed that he got an extension out of that and not a pink slip. 99% of head football coaches would have been fired over that whole thing, with the terrible decisions and bad judgment.

His strengths are his consistency and commitment to doing what they do. But what they've been doing lately is hover around .500 and it's hard to see how this half-assed approach to "winning now for TJ and Cam" (because they aren't ACTUALLY going all in) will net them much more than another half-assed season.

It's time for someone with a fresh approach and new plan, and as a STH I'm 100% bought in on taking some lumps in order to build something better. But the only thing that Art hates more than falling short of the playoffs is losing seasons, and I've heard it said that Mike Tomlin has never...you know.

I'm not a Tomlin hater AT ALL. And yet I look at the Matt Canada saga and I'm still amazed that he got an extension out of that and not a pink slip. 99% of head football coaches would have been fired over that whole thing, with the terrible decisions and bad judgment.

His strengths are his consistency and commitment to doing what they do. But what they've been doing lately is hover around .500 and it's hard to see how this half-assed approach to "winning now for TJ and Cam" (because they aren't ACTUALLY going all in) will net them much more than another half-assed season.

It's time for someone with a fresh approach and new plan, and as a STH I'm 100% bought in on taking some lumps in order to build something better. But the only thing that Art hates more than falling short of the playoffs is losing seasons, and I've heard it said that Mike Tomlin has never...you know.
Fair post. But regarding your last comment about Rooney, he may hate losing seasons…but he doesn’t appear to love winning enough.

Dude I promise this is the post of the day. I would root for the Steelers again if the replaced Tomlin or Art started actually demanding results. Neither will probably happen so I am happy rooting for Pitt and watching NFL for entertainment with no strong rooting interest.

Reactions: Parkview57
Dude I promise this is the post of the day. I would root for the Steelers again if the replaced Tomlin or Art started actually demanding results. Neither will probably happen so I am happy rooting for Pitt and watching NFL for entertainment with no strong rooting interest.
Thanks. I just really feel strongly that they need to sh*t or get off the pot. Are they building for the future or to win now? Figure it out and then go at that goal 100%. The idea that they reload not rebuild is cute, but it doesn't seem like a surprise that trying to have it both ways has yielded middling results.

IMO, the best thing for the franchise is to draft a young QB to build around and then commit fully to his development...record be damned. Tomlin just doesn't seem wired for that though. And right now it feels like he's too loyal to "his guys" on defense to accept short-term pain for long-term gain.

Sounds like they are finally looking to move Jones over to LT... after all the preseason games are complete. Brilliant. Lol if they just throw Jones in there to start the first real game when they could have tried it during a preseason game. Especially knowing that Fantanau will be targeted at the starter at RT when he's healed up.

I mean, it's just stupid how long it's taking them to figure it out. Jones is the LT and Fantanau is the RT. Moore can be their backup if they get hurt or struggle.

IMO, the best thing for the franchise is to draft a young QB to build around and then commit fully to his development...record be damned. Tomlin just doesn't seem wired for that though. And right now it feels like he's too loyal to "his guys" on defense to accept short-term pain for long-term gain.
That plan is already out the window. They cannot wait until the draft to decide what to do with the position unless they finish the season with a top five pick. If that's the case, you'd head into the season with a rookie and probably terrible, low cost backups which is what they've been doing. There is going to be a ton of spin about how injuries at WR and OL made them unlucky this year and Fields is going to get a four year contract with club options at a somewhat affordable price. Kordell Stewart all over again. Maybe Tomlin will even give him a big fat kiss when Fields runs for 200 yards against the Bengals in the last game for winning and preserving the most mediocre streak in NFL history.

Sounds like they are finally looking to move Jones over to LT... after all the preseason games are complete. Brilliant. Lol if they just throw Jones in there to start the first real game when they could have tried it during a preseason game. Especially knowing that Fantanau will be targeted at the starter at RT when he's healed up.

I mean, it's just stupid how long it's taking them to figure it out. Jones is the LT and Fantanau is the RT. Moore can be their backup if they get hurt or struggle.
Why did it take this long to figure this out? The Steelers are stuck on being smarter than everyone else and then they find out that they were the dumbest cats in the class all along.

My brother and I had this very same conversation a few weeks ago. It's nuts. It's bananas. It's completely unexplainable. But here it is: ESPN

I agree with you but try telling that to most of the football world. The Myles Garrett love over TJ is the strangest phenomenon I’ve seen in recent years. ESPN has him at like the #4 player in the NFL and TJ the #10 player.
I don't watch the Browns enough to confirm whether this is true or not, but I have relatives who are Browns fans and they'll tell you it's because the Steelers double team and create a complete gameplan around neutralizing Garrett, so you don't notice him twice a year when he plays the Steelers, even though he is having a drastic outcome on those two games by virtue of how he frees up other defenders. And of course he is a monster in the remaining 15 games.

I don't watch the Browns enough to confirm whether this is true or not, but I have relatives who are Browns fans and they'll tell you it's because the Steelers double team and create a complete gameplan around neutralizing Garrett, so you don't notice him twice a year when he plays the Steelers, even though he is having a drastic outcome on those two games by virtue of how he frees up other defenders. And of course he is a monster in the remaining 15 games.
Next time tell them TJ gets double teamed too, and it’s not just the Steelers that Garrett doesn’t show up for. Garrett might have had one sack the whole 2nd half of the season last year. So it’s not just the two game vs Pittsburgh… It’s also the final two months of the season of no production. Unless you count almost getting to the QB, which weirdly has become more important than actually getting to the QB.

The other argument I hear is that Garrett goes up against left tackles who are often left tackles because they are the other teams best lineman, and TJ goes up against right tackles. Well my counter is that Garrett has the benefit of coming in on most QBs blind side which should account for more sacks and certainly more strip sacks. QBs see Watt coming, yet TJ causes more turnovers than Garrett by far.

I’ll take the guy with more sacks, more fumbles caused, and more ints every year than the guy who almost gets to the QB. I’ve never seen a guy (Garrett) get more run for being almost good enough. And he won DPOY in a season that he no showed the entire back half of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT