ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett

Sure I am
We
Have a completely new Qb room this season , and will have a completely new Qb room next season .
That’s not a good plan
Keeping neither Kenny nor resigning Mason cheaply was a bad plan

Field will be due $25 mil next year . And he sucks so bad he was traded for a 5th round pick
If Wilson is worth resigning - and that remains to be seen - why wouldn’t the Steelers be able to do so? They’ll have plenty of cap space.

Same applies to Fields.

If both stink, or are mediocre, then they’re better off starting over than falling back to a low ceiling option like Kenny.

If Wilson is worth resigning - and that remains to be seen - why wouldn’t the Steelers be able to do so? They’ll have plenty of cap space.

Same applies to Fields.

If both stink, or are mediocre, then they’re better off starting over than falling back to a low ceiling option like Kenny.
I'll trust Omar on this one as well.

Steelers weren't on at my place so I put the Eagles game on. Eagles are also installing a new offense. Didn't run anything complicated. A few RPO and a lot of short pass plays that were designed to compliment the run. There were a couple of passes down field that weren't great, one that was kind of high over the middle, and a couple that were placed beautifully into tight spots where only the WR had a play on the ball. There was one blitz that I don't think Pickett read very well and cost them a sack. I do think he kept expecting the pass pro to break down and looked hurried a couple times. Generally, he looked okay. Nothing dazzling, nothing terrible. Eagles announcers gave zero hint that Pickett was destined to be a #3 or anything. If anything they spoke like he was an upgrade at the #2 spot.

Steelers weren't on at my place so I put the Eagles game on. Eagles are also installing a new offense. Didn't run anything complicated. A few RPO and a lot of short pass plays that were designed to compliment the run. There were a couple of passes down field that weren't great, one that was kind of high over the middle, and a couple that were placed beautifully into tight spots where only the WR had a play on the ball. There was one blitz that I don't think Pickett read very well and cost them a sack. I do think he kept expecting the pass pro to break down and looked hurried a couple times. Generally, he looked okay. Nothing dazzling, nothing terrible. Eagles announcers gave zero hint that Pickett was destined to be a #3 or anything. If anything they spoke like he was an upgrade at the #2 spot.
He’ll make about $50 mil in his career as a back up. Not bad.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and 303vND
whether you think KP is good or not, he got absolutely shafted with his OC and playmakers during his tenure with Pittsburgh.

I think Fields is talented .. but this offense and personnel is no different than his CHI days .. maybe even worse. I'll take DJ Moore and Cmet over Pickens and Friermuth all day long. They're actually serious about Van Jefferson being a #2? Austin / Wilson as the #3? Brutal.

If Fields did start (IMO Wilson as a stranglehold on the starting job - I don't think it's close) then go with a Ravens type offense. Fields, Warren, Najee. Run the ball .. but at the end of the day, you're just a worse version of Baltimore.

I don't see this team winning many games. I think they stink and they're an injury away on defense (#90) from being horrible.

They're actually serious about Van Jefferson being a #2? Austin / Wilson as the #3? Brutal.
they have been trying to get Ayiuk for about 3 months now so i dont think the steelers are any more comfortable with Van Jefferson at the wr2 spot than the fans are.

Yes, it is easily the worst WR unit in the nfl which is why we really need to get Ayiuk.. WIth Ayiuk and Pickens, that makes a terrible wr unit actually pretty respectable. Especially with an effective run game.

they have been trying to get Ayiuk for about 3 months now so i dont think the steelers are any more comfortable with Van Jefferson at the wr2 spot than the fans are.

Yes, it is easily the worst WR unit in the nfl which is why we really need to get Ayiuk.. WIth Ayiuk and Pickens, that makes a terrible wr unit actually pretty respectable. Especially with an effective run game.

I think they're comfortable with it .. which doesn't make sense to me. I know they're going after Ayiuk .. but the offers and their unwillingness to budge on draft compensation tells me otherwise. I don't think the ask is all that high. SF doesn't have a ton of leverage .. it's either move Ayiuk this year and keep Deebo .. or sign Ayiuk this year and move Deebo next year. Maybe the Steelers get it done .. but if they don't, they're stuck with Van Jefferson at the #2 and I think that's a way more likely outcome than not.

I think they're comfortable with it .. which doesn't make sense to me. I know they're going after Ayiuk .. but the offers and their unwillingness to budge on draft compensation tells me otherwise. I don't think the ask is all that high. SF doesn't have a ton of leverage .. it's either move Ayiuk this year and keep Deebo .. or sign Ayiuk this year and move Deebo next year. Maybe the Steelers get it done .. but if they don't, they're stuck with Van Jefferson at the #2 and I think that's a way more likely outcome than not.
if they were comfortable with it, they wouldnt have offered Ayiuk 28/m a year, which they reportedly did..

the problem here is, you have to not only get Ayiuk a deal he wants but also a deal that the 49ers want. Usually its one or the other but in this case, it's both. hence the stale mate...

no clue why we dont offer a 2n'd rd pick and Muth, which apparently they want. not sure if that's true to be honest though considering muth would be 2nd or 3rd string TE on that team and not even an option in the pass game for that niners offense.

if they were comfortable with it, they wouldnt have offered Ayiuk 28/m a year, which they reportedly did..

the problem here is, you have to not only get Ayiuk a deal he wants but also a deal that the 49ers want. Usually its one or the other but in this case, it's both. hence the stale mate...

no clue why we dont offer a 2n'd rd pick and Muth, which apparently they want. not sure if that's true to be honest though considering muth would be 2nd or 3rd string TE on that team and not even an option in the pass game.
I don't think SF is willing to part with Ayiuk unless it's an over the top return. The fact the Steelers keep falling back in love with a deal sort of suggests that it is still a possibility.

That's just dumb - you're talking about maybe three QBs in the league that could have been successful in this situation.
I'm not saying be an all pro, just saying mediocre production would have been nice.

I'm not saying be an all pro, just saying mediocre production would have been nice.
Like winning games ?
My money is on more losses this season because I don’t think Wilson is interested in playing at all for essentially free , and Fields sucks .

Reactions: DruidTM
Yes
So he is getting $43 mil whether he plays or not .
So explain the math to me another why he has any incentive for the stillers?
Explain your prediction earlier in this very thread that we won’t have Wilson next year because he’ll sign a big free agent deal. That doesn’t happen if he doesn’t produce this year. Pillboy is right, you’re in the wrong lane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt_Pill Boy
But he had a chance to play, just by luck he should have stumbled to better than the all-time fewest TD passes in 500 attempts in NFL history
He used MS-dos and somehow had strong earnings to report to Wall Street. W/L are what matters most. He delivered at an elite rate.

Fast forward to today, I’m 20X more of a Justin Fields fan than I am Kenny. And here I sit hoping Fields can produce wins. I’m a bit worried to be honest. He has to fix the turnover problem in his game…which frankly will hurt this Steeler team more than if he failed to throw TD passes.

Anyone remember the Detroit game when the WR unit Rudolph had to throw to was even worse (due to injuries)? Mason also had the terrible oline and 40 mile an hour winds and a wet football. Yinzers said he wasn’t an nfl QB. You guys said he shouldn’t even hold a clipboard. I strongly defended him and said he was certainly an NFL QB. Turns out Mason is an NFL QB afterall. I never doubted him.

What yinzers don’t understand is that with that offense last year, only a handful of QBs would have fought through it and put up good numbers….the elite types. Guys like Kenny and Mason aren’t those type of QBs. And neither are 90% of the others.

Explain your prediction earlier in this very thread that we won’t have Wilson next year because he’ll sign a big free agent deal. That doesn’t happen if he doesn’t produce this year. Pillboy is right, you’re in the wrong lane.
You think he’s worried about his next deal ?
He’ll be 36 after this season. An injury ends his career
Holy shit, that’s delusional thinking

Anyone remember the Detroit game when the WR unit Rudolph had to throw to was even worse (due to injuries)? Mason also had the terrible oline and 40 mile an hour winds and a wet football. Yinzers said he wasn’t an nfl QB. You guys said he shouldn’t even hold a clipboard. I strongly defended him and said he was certainly an NFL QB. Turns out Mason is an NFL QB afterall. I never doubted him.

What yinzers don’t understand is that with that offense last year, only a handful of QBs would have fought through it and put up good numbers….the elite types. Guys like Kenny and Mason aren’t those type of QBs. And neither are 90% of the others.
It seems other teams in the league agreed with the yinzers
Since he was signed on the cheap to be a backup , again

But I agree with your general point
I mean how many playoff games did even Big Ben?

It seems other teams in the league agreed with the yinzers
Since he was signed on the cheap to be a backup , again

But I agree with your general point
I mean how many playoff games did even Big Ben?
There wasn’t much to go on. The point is you can’t expect non elite QBs to shine shit or perform with MS-DOS as was so brilliantly stated earlier by 303vsND. And not even the largest of Kenny apologists thinks Kenny is that type of QB. But he is an NFL QB you can win with if you give him the tools. Fields though? I hope so but have my doubts.

You think he’s worried about his next deal ?
He’ll be 36 after this season. An injury ends his career
Holy shit, that’s delusional thinking
If Wilson wants to keep playing he's absolutely worried about his next deal. He doesn't want to be a low-paid backup QB. He wants to be a starter at some level of starting money.

There wasn’t much to go on. The point is you can’t expect non elite QBs to shine shit or perform with MS-DOS as was so brilliantly stated earlier by 303vsND. And not even the largest of Kenny apologists thinks Kenny is that type of QB. But he is an NFL QB you can win with if you give him the tools. Fields though? I hope so but have my doubts.
Fields will have many of the same problems those other guys had because the Steelers were too enamored with certain skill positions to pay attention to putting talented OL-men in front of them. I don't think they fixed that in the draft but even if they luck out and those guys become legit OL-men, it will be a couple of years before they get to that level. Fields only advantage is that he can run for his life a little better than most. Unfortunately, that hasn't been a workable strategy in the NFL to this point (see Baltimore). Yes, Lamar Jackson is a two time MVP and has only put more than 24 points on the scoreboard in the playoffs once.

i always liked rudolph. just wasnt given any real shot here in pittsburgh, tomlin botched the qb situation for about 4+ years now...

i always liked rudolph. just wasnt given any real shot here in pittsburgh, tomlin botched the qb situation for about 4+ years now...
I'd argue that it's been longer than that. He had a HOF type guy that he didn't know how to win with because they felt like putting deadbeats or run first guys that didn't pass block well, in front of him, was a good idea.

Reactions: 303vND
He’ll make about $50 mil in his career as a back up. Not bad.

He's already set for life, based on one really good season of college football. Tough to feel too bad for him. Backup QB has to be the best job in sports.

Heading into 2022, many thought Sam Howell could be the top pick in the draft.

Pickett's contract: 4 years, $14M, all guaranteed

Howell's contract: 4 years, $4M, $361k guaranteed

If you're taken in the first round, you have won the game of life.

Reactions: 303vND
So much disparaging of Fields in this thread as an attempt to prop Pickett up. But let me break it down....

Fields.... sucks
Pickett.... sucks
Wilson.... probably sucks

The fact that Suzy is dating Curly doesn't mean that Vicky's husband, Moe, is some stud muffin.
lol, so true. still cant believe some pitt fans are so thin skinned that they try and justify the pickett pick with saying that other people suck..

guys, it was a colossal F up draft pick. he is not a good nfl qb, he was really really good at pitt. let both be true, he's no longer in pittsburgh so wish him the best and move on already..

ben dinucci will probably have a longer nfl career than him

I get a sense that Pickett will be around for a while, but I could be wrong. Honestly, I thought he would understand the game (protections, etc.) much better than what he has shown. And I have seen many backup QBs spin it much better than he can.

That said, I also see some backup QBs who I'm shocked are in the NFL and not the PSL, so I think the experience that Pickett got from being a 1st rounder who got to play so much will give him some value.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
He really did, and Rudolph was set up to fail from the start. Coach Randy was best known for his “fart in a skillet” quote and not passing game innovation. Is he in football? Last I heard he wasn’t. Then we had an Ahole starting QB who saw Rudolph as a threat from day 1 and did nothing to help him. Think about starting a new career and not having a coach or a tenored coworker to lean on. Rudolph is what he is, an NFL backup by every definition of the term. His job is to come in and win games if called upon and he can do it. All credit to him. The Steelers failed him.

He really did, and Rudolph was set up to fail from the start. Coach Randy was best known for his “fart in a skillet” quote and not passing game innovation. Is he in football? Last I heard he wasn’t. Then we had an Ahole starting QB who saw Rudolph as a threat from day 1 and did nothing to help him. Think about starting a new career and not having a coach or a tenored coworker to lean on. Rudolph is what he is, an NFL backup by every definition of the term. His job is to come in and win games if called upon and he can do it. All credit to him. The Steelers failed him.
i see soo many glaring issues with tomlin and this staff, annually. i know we all hated canada and deservedly so but it goes so much deeper than that.

The qb position over the last 4 years just being botched and reactionary aside, they still have no plan with this OL. Broderick jones interviewed yesterday, saying he has no idea day to day if he's playing on left or right. they announced fautanu starting at RT after repping on left, and he's out a week or two. they love dan moore and herbig but they draft tackles early last two rounds and frasier this year and as soon as they draft their replacements, all of a sudden. the veteran OL men are really good again? THEN WHY THE HELL DID YOU DRAFT THEIR REPLACEMENTS..

Its crazy how much people outside of this city love tomlin when he has shown absolute ineptness toward running an nfl team. he must have the greatest PR team in the world behind the scenes.. i just dont get it..

So much disparaging of Fields in this thread as an attempt to prop Pickett up. But let me break it down....

Fields.... sucks
Pickett.... sucks
Wilson.... probably sucks

The fact that Suzy is dating Curly doesn't mean that Vicky's husband, Moe, is some stud muffin.
Yeah it’s been a little harsh. I really don’t know how anyone can absolve Kenny yet say that Fields is terrible. My position is both are unfinished products. Fields needs to protect the football. Kenny needs to do a better job getting rid of the football when he has a pass rush. Both can be fixed. Consistent OL play and experience will help Kenny but he’s already shown to be a winner. And believe it or not I think Tomlin can be the best coach for Fields because we know how Tomlin hates turnovers. If he can limit them, his legs will more than make up for his accuracy issues and maybe he too can show he’s a winner.

Kenny got a bum deal in Pittsburgh and Fields deserves a shot with a new coaching staff and franchise. But as I said above, I’m a fan of Fields now. If I had a choice for only one to succeed, it would be Fields.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Yeah it’s been a little harsh. I really don’t know how anyone can absolve Kenny yet say that Fields is terrible. My position is both are unfinished products. Fields needs to protect the football. Kenny needs to do a better job getting rid of the football when he has a pass rush. Both can be fixed. Consistent OL play and experience will help Kenny but he’s already shown to be a winner. And believe it or not I think Tomlin can be the best coach for Fields because we know how Tomlin hates turnovers. If he can limit them, his legs will more than make up for his accuracy issues and maybe he too can show he’s a winner.

Kenny got a bum deal in Pittsburgh and Fields deserves a shot with a new coaching staff and franchise. But as I said above, I’m a fan of Fields now. If I had a choice for only one to succeed, it would be Fields.
im with you FK, pretty much spot on. man oh man, i feel like Fields (if/when he plays) will make us love him and hate him, a few times, every game..

but between him and wilson, i'd choose him every day of the week. there is nothing about wilson that excites me at all.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
89 yards on 14 completions? A 15-play scoring drive?

Seems like the same old Pickett to me. Doesn't get the ball downfield in chunks, and he doesn't put points on the board.

I get that it's the preseason, but that's an all-too-familiar stat line.
Maybe. But in his only game after Canada was fired, he averaged over 8 yards per throw. Small sample size, just as last weeks game was

I think we noticed it more because he was the hometown college guy on the hometown pro team, but there have been so many 1st round quarterbacks over the years who have been drafted into bad circumstances. Teams typically aren't taking a QB in round one unless they suck (obviously with some exceptions). I definitely agree that the circumstances were not ideal, but I just think this happens with probably more than 75% of the guys taken in the first round. There were Bears fans who were vouching for Trubisky when we picked him up and saying that he never really had a fair chance in Chicago. You either rise above it or you don't, I guess.

That's been my stance for a while now: maybe Kenny could do well in something closer to ideal circumstances; maybe he couldn't. But the special ones can do well in just about any circumstances, so I'm pretty sure he is not that. And I want a special QB on my team, so I'm not too sad to see him go. It'd have just been two more years of kicking the can down the road (which we're doing this year anyway; I get it).

Reactions: Pitt79 and Fk_Pitt
I think we noticed it more because he was the hometown college guy on the hometown pro team, but there have been so many 1st round quarterbacks over the years who have been drafted into bad circumstances. Teams typically aren't taking a QB in round one unless they suck (obviously with some exceptions). I definitely agree that the circumstances were not ideal, but I just think this happens with probably more than 75% of the guys taken in the first round. There were Bears fans who were vouching for Trubisky when we picked him up and saying that he never really had a fair chance in Chicago. You either rise above it or you don't, I guess.

That's been my stance for a while now: maybe Kenny could do well in something closer to ideal circumstances; maybe he couldn't. But the special ones can do well in just about any circumstances, so I'm pretty sure he is not that. And I want a special QB on my team, so I'm not too sad to see him go. It'd have just been two more years of kicking the can down the road (which we're doing this year anyway; I get it).
i always say this, how many actual good qbs just had a career ruined, squandered because they were drafted on bad teams and thrown to the wolves way too early, ruining any chance of success??

Ben's rookie year was a perfect scenario even though he got rushed into the job due to Maddox's injury. Look at that team, loaded defense, great run game with Duce and Bus.. if you recall that year, he really was only asked to throw the ball and win the game twice. At dallas and i want to say the giants. every other regular season game, he'd have like 10 pass attempts in the second half, just make a play or two and stay out of the way..

i think we had a record number of wins where we kneeled on the ball. And to Ben's credit, he did it. Of course then we decided to put the ball in his hands against the patriots in the afc championship game on the coldest day in the history of pittsburgh and well, that didnt end well.

If he gets drafted by the browns, i guarantee you he's out of football in 4 years. how many of those browns qbs, if drafted by another team or not forced into action, probably have much better and longer careers?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT