ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett

i always say this, how many actual good qbs just had a career ruined, squandered because they were drafted on bad teams and thrown to the wolves way too early, ruining any chance of success??

Ben's rookie year was a perfect scenario even though he got rushed into the job due to Maddox's injury. Look at that team, loaded defense, great run game with Duce and Bus.. if you recall that year, he really was only asked to throw the ball and win the game twice. At dallas and i want to say the giants. every other regular season game, he'd have like 10 pass attempts in the second half, just make a play or two and stay out of the way..

i think we had a record number of wins where we kneeled on the ball. And to Ben's credit, he did it. Of course then we decided to put the ball in his hands against the patriots in the afc championship game on the coldest day in the history of pittsburgh and well, that didnt end well.

If he gets drafted by the browns, i guarantee you he's out of football in 4 years. how many of those browns qbs, if drafted by another team or not forced into action, probably have much better and longer careers?

See I think Ben's skillset was such that he would have worked out anywhere. He could buy time behind even the worst of o-lines, and even guys like Nate Washington and Cedric Wilson can get open eventually. Might not have won Super Bowls without a defense, but I still think he'd have made playoff runs. Sitting up in the 500 level at some Steeler games and watching him zip a ball from one side of the field to the sidelines on the other side was just so impressive.

I agree with the premise in general, though. That said, Pickett has very few - if any - "plus" tangibles. He'd have to be in an almost Purdy-esque situation to thrive, in my opinion.

If Wilson wants to keep playing he's absolutely worried about his next deal. He doesn't want to be a low-paid backup QB. He wants to be a starter at some level of starting money.
Ya know he’s also married to a pop star, right ?
He’s more likely to retire than ball out

Reactions: 303vND
There are always seems to be a conversation about Kenny Pickett and how’s he doing. There are other Pitt panthers in the NFL to discuss besides Kenny.

For instance , what about James Conner? How much does he have left at age 29? How about Damar Hamlin? Is he going to be on an NFL roster this year? Tyler Boyd? How will he adjust to the Titans offense?

All the guys I mentioned (and there are more) who are worse off than Kenny. Each were very important to Pitt and had more than one good year.

See I think Ben's skillset was such that he would have worked out anywhere.
very interesting and valid point. def might be right. i was using him as an example though, specific to the browns and how much success he had from day one with the steelers being in a perfect situation..

just cant measure what it would do to your psyche, your maturity, growth, confidence going into a successful team with supporting talent vs going into a losing situation and getting the brunt of the blame as a rookie QB.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Like winning games ?
My money is on more losses this season because I don’t think Wilson is interested in playing at all for essentially free , and Fields sucks .
The defense was the reason for most of the wins.

very interesting and valid point. def might be right. i was using him as an example though, specific to the browns and how much success he had from day one with the steelers being in a perfect situation..

just cant measure what it would do to your psyche, your maturity, growth, confidence going into a successful team with supporting talent vs going into a losing situation and getting the brunt of the blame as a rookie QB.

Yeah, I don't disagree with the premise. I just think the analysis would probably get a little complex.

Like Marino was on some pretty mediocre teams, but I don't recall anyone really doubting him as a QB. So he seemed to succeed in spite of it. Of course it's possible that it was the defense that was bad, so it might be a moot point. But I'm sure there have been plenty of quarterbacks who have still shined despite being surrounded by offensive ineptitude.

Then Peyton Manning was taken by a team that finished 3-13. In his first season, they finished 3-13 again. The next season, 13-3. So how much of the turnaround was attributable to him vs other factors?

Point being... I think it's all pretty nuanced. But I think the really good ones shine no matter what. With guys like Pickett, the circumstances probably only dictate whether or not they can look serviceable. Dude didn't have a ton of pedigree. He blew up for one season (his 4th starting in college, which is rare), while throwing to a 1st round pick. He was doubted about as much as any first QB taken ever was. And he then showed that he probably isn't a 1st round talent in the time since then. So it's really just a couple thousand Pitt fans who think he is some great talent who got screwed over by the system. No bias in that! At the end of the day, his big time success is about as much of an aberration on his career as Pitt football's 70's success is in its modern-day history. But fans are fans, so they think they best can be the norm.

Reactions: Pitt79
Can’t wait for Steelers at Eagles on Dec. 15! Just praying that somehow Kenny is the starting QB for them, and then soundly beats the Steelers! Me thinks that a lot of the hate Kenny people here would suddenly become very quiet!
I hope he plays, and the Steelers smash his ass and destroy him, I'm a Steelers fan, not a fan of some dude from NJ who used to play for Pitt. When he was playing for Pitt, I was rooting for him, when he was a Steelers, I was rooting for him, I root for TEAMS not individual players.

Reactions: Schaef60
Yeah, I don't disagree with the premise. I just think the analysis would probably get a little complex.

Like Marino was on some pretty mediocre teams, but I don't recall anyone really doubting him as a QB. So he seemed to succeed in spite of it. Of course it's possible that it was the defense that was bad, so it might be a moot point. But I'm sure there have been plenty of quarterbacks who have still shined despite being surrounded by offensive ineptitude.

Then Peyton Manning was taken by a team that finished 3-13. In his first season, they finished 3-13 again. The next season, 13-3. So how much of the turnaround was attributable to him vs other factors?

Point being... I think it's all pretty nuanced. But I think the really good ones shine no matter what. With guys like Pickett, the circumstances probably only dictate whether or not they can look serviceable.
Exactly, young Ben or Marino would have won 12 games and threw 30 TDs last year, with Canada as OC, Old Ben threw 33 and 22 TDs his last seasons with Canada.

Exactly, young Ben or Marino would have won 12 games and threw 30 TDs last year, with Canada as OC, Old Ben threw 33 and 22 TDs his last seasons with Canada.

Yeah, that's what I keep coming back to.

I think people just dump it all on Canada and make up this dream scenario where Pickett could have been [this good] if only not for that.

Well, the old broken lawnmower known as Big Ben - in all his elbow trouble-having glory - dwarfed Pickett's stats with that same bum OC. But it doesn't matter. In 30 years, old Pitt fans will still be talking about what could have been with Pickett. It is what it is.

Reactions: Burgh15 and Pitt79
Yeah, that's what I keep coming back to.

I think people just dump it all on Canada and make up this dream scenario where Pickett could have been [this good] if only not for that.

Well, the old broken lawnmower known as Big Ben - in all his elbow trouble-having glory - dwarfed Pickett's stats with that same bum OC. But it doesn't matter. In 30 years, old Pitt fans will still be talking about what could have been with Pickett. It is what it is.
I'm also tired of hearing about how NUMBERS don't matter, TD passes don't matter, scoring points doesn't matter! They tell me Kenny was winning games, Kenny wouldn't be winning so many games if the D wasn't holding so many teams to less than 20 points or scoring defensive TDs themselves. Name a few games where the other team was scoring a lot and Kenny kept pace and won a high scoring shootout?

I'm also tired of hearing about how NUMBERS don't matter, TD passes don't matter, scoring points doesn't matter! They tell me Kenny was winning games, Kenny wouldn't be winning so many games if the D wasn't holding so many teams to less than 20 points or scoring defensive TDs themselves. Name a few games where the other team was scoring a lot and Kenny kept pace and won a high scoring shootout?
Hard to disagree. Wins were much more attractive before fantasy football.

Mitch couldn’t win games with same defense .
Wild , right ?

The Steelers are 8-9 or 9-8 with whomever they have at QB. Pickett, Rudolph, Wilson or Fields. Doesn’t matter. Until you trot out a real stud at QB the other teams in the division will have a better QB including the Browns.

The Steelers are 8-9 or 9-8 with whomever they have at QB. Pickett, Rudolph, Wilson or Fields. Doesn’t matter. Until you trot out a real stud at QB the other teams in the division will have a better QB including the Browns.
Before you posted this, I was going to post about Wilson. Yeah he’s old yada yada yada. But if healthy he’s going to do well in this offense. It doesn’t change the fact that the Steelers could be back to square one next off season. But he doesn’t turn the ball over, and the passing game will be set up through the running game and play action, and his vast experience will be a plus. This is the type of offense Kenny needed here. He’d have developed and got better each week. He would have put up 8 yards per attempt like he did after Canada was fired. Probably wouldn’t have won more games though. That would have been tough for anyone to do.

Reactions: joeydavid
Before you posted this, I was going to post about Wilson. Yeah he’s old yada yada yada. But if healthy he’s going to do well in this offense. It doesn’t change the fact that the Steelers could be back to square one next off season. But he doesn’t turn the ball over, and the passing game will be set up through the running game and play action, and his vast experience will be a plus. This is the type of offense Kenny needed here. He’d have developed and got better each week. He would have put up 8 yards per attempt like he did after Canada was fired. Probably wouldn’t have won more games though. That would have been tough for anyone to do.
This is what I keep saying -
Trading Kenny for fields was stupid since they aren’t going to pick up fields option next year

This is what I keep saying -
Trading Kenny for fields was stupid since they aren’t going to pick up fields option next year
Steelers did him wrong no doubt. But Kenny can be a douche too. He has an arrogance about him that helps him in the clutch. But it might have been to a detriment to him too. I think the Seattle game last year was embellished by the media and corrected by Dejan. But whatever happened after the season with Wilson, regardless of how it was executed and pissed off Mason and Kenny, Kenny should have been a pro and sucked it up and stayed the course. Maybe it will work out for him, I dunno. But he seemed to have an ally in Tomlin and this situation would have been good for him. Backing up an old Wilson wouldn’t have been a bad thing.

And it’s because of his doucheyness that I’m not a huge fan of his. I’m more of a fan of Rudolph the person than Kenny. Mason is a really good person. I just defend them both because of the situations they were in.

There are always seems to be a conversation about Kenny Pickett and how’s he doing. There are other Pitt panthers in the NFL to discuss besides Kenny.

For instance , what about James Conner? How much does he have left at age 29? How about Damar Hamlin? Is he going to be on an NFL roster this year? Tyler Boyd? How will he adjust to the Titans offense?

All the guys I mentioned (and there are more) who are worse off than Kenny. Each were very important to Pitt and had more than one good year.
So start a thread about one of them...
barack obama only you have the power to move us forward GIF by Obama

James Conner, Damar Hamlin, and Tyler Boyd are all expected to be week 1 starters. Please explain to me how they are "worse off" than a QB that is almost, barring injury, guaranteed not to be the starter?

I hope he plays, and the Steelers smash his ass and destroy him, I'm a Steelers fan, not a fan of some dude from NJ who used to play for Pitt. When he was playing for Pitt, I was rooting for him, when he was a Steelers, I was rooting for him, I root for TEAMS not individual players.
But you have Pitt in your user name - make it make sense? And I root for every individual that wore that jersey and represented the university and the city irrespective of what team they play for.

Well, if Mitch "The General" Trubisky can't win with the Steelers' defense then what hope does anyone have...
what's great it steelers and pitt fans, and non pitt fans, we all argue about kenny, mason, fields, russ, all this, we all debate and argue but the great thing is we all can come together and agree that trubisky sucked from day one til he was gone.

at least we have that.

Steelers did him wrong no doubt. But Kenny can be a douche too. He has an arrogance about him that helps him in the clutch. But it might have been to a detriment to him too. I think the Seattle game last year was embellished by the media and corrected by Dejan. But whatever happened after the season with Wilson, regardless of how it was executed and pissed off Mason and Kenny, Kenny should have been a pro and sucked it up and stayed the course. Maybe it will work out for him, I dunno. But he seemed to have an ally in Tomlin and this situation would have been good for him. Backing up an old Wilson wouldn’t have been a bad thing.

And it’s because of his doucheyness that I’m not a huge fan of his. I’m more of a fan of Rudolph the person than Kenny. Mason is a really good person. I just defend them both because of the situations they were in.
Not sure how much either of them personally . Kenny didn’t talk to the media when Mitch and then Mason played because why would he ? Talk to the QBs who are playing .
I think this whole narrative is bullshit to be honest .
Kenny under a rookie deal couldn’t “force “ a trade . Omar decided a fresh start was needed for the Steelers . End of story . Same reason Mason wasn’t resigned .
Kenny did and said all the right things while here .

what's great it steelers and pitt fans, and non pitt fans, we all argue about kenny, mason, fields, russ, all this, we all debate and argue but the great thing is we all can come together and agree that trubisky sucked from day one til he was gone.

at least we have that.
And now we have another broken Bears qb reclamation project .
Unfortunately , we know how this story ends .
Turnovers and losses

Ben stunk with Canada.
He really did but with that coordinator and that OL, who wouldn’t? But he was a HOFer able to leverage a decade and a half of experience into success by some measurements. Yinzers for whatever reason expected that out of Pickett. I’m going to be gentle here and simply call them unreasonable.

Man, it’s difficult to follow a HOFer, that’s one thing. But then to follow a HOFer and have the situation Pickett was in…

He really did but with that coordinator and that OL, who wouldn’t? But he was a HOFer able to leverage a decade and a half of experience into success by some measurements. Yinzers for whatever reason expected that out of Pickett. I’m going to be gentle here and simply call them unreasonable.

Man, it’s difficult to follow a HOFer, that’s one thing. But then to follow a HOFer and have the situation Pickett was in…
SETUP FOR FAILURE FROM DAY ONE!

But you have Pitt in your user name - make it make sense? And I root for every individual that wore that jersey and represented the university and the city irrespective of what team they play for.
I root for THE TEAM PITT PANTHERS
I root for THE TEAM PITTSBURGH STEELERS

When players leave those teams, I really don't care what they do, I don't follow them to some team I don't care about and start rooting for that team, THAT IS WHAT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME? Sports are generally a team thing, people in general are fans of teams. I don't care if Kenny becomes a Hall of Famer with the Eagles and wins 10 Super Bowls, all I know for sure is, every time he faces the Steelers I WANT THE TEAM, THE STEELERS, TO WIN.... THE TEAM.

Not sure how much either of them personally . Kenny didn’t talk to the media when Mitch and then Mason played because why would he ? Talk to the QBs who are playing .
I think this whole narrative is bullshit to be honest .
Kenny under a rookie deal couldn’t “force “ a trade . Omar decided a fresh start was needed for the Steelers . End of story . Same reason Mason wasn’t resigned .
Kenny did and said all the right things while here .
It's been pretty well established that if a player doesn't want to be a Steeler, the team moves them. The whole volunteers not hostages thing. Let's be real, do you think the Steelers would have given up Pickett with 2 years left of control at $3million/year if he hadn't made it clear that he'd be a disgruntled player? Omar decided that Pickett wasn't worth the headache that keeping him around would have caused. The only reason Kenny isn't here is because of Kenny.

I mean Kenny did do everything right, except remember that drives are supposed to culminate in the end zone. Or stick around try and compete for a starting job against the 2nd oldest starting QB in the NFL.

Mike Greenberg might have the most accurate statement on steelers qb i've seen to date..

“The Steelers may have replaced one bad QB with two bad QBs”

He made the playoffs and had triple the TDs of Kenny, so then Kenny stunk too.

He was also an experienced QB with a better WR group and way more throws. And played 16 games. The QBR is very close.

Mike Greenberg might have the most accurate statement on steelers qb i've seen to date..

“The Steelers may have replaced one bad QB with two bad QBs”

And on the same day, his espn colleague, Stephen A Shithead, gushed over the fact that the Steelers got rid of Kenny and Mitch and replaced them with Wilson and Fields.

Being cautiously optimistic and measured is one thing. Many people are. But Stephen A. gushing and having a tingle running up his leg is a really peculiar phenomenon. I can’t put my finger on why he’s so excited to have Fields and Wilson leading his favorite team.

I root for THE TEAM PITT PANTHERS
I root for THE TEAM PITTSBURGH STEELERS

When players leave those teams, I really don't care what they do, I don't follow them to some team I don't care about and start rooting for that team, THAT IS WHAT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME? Sports are generally a team thing, people in general are fans of teams. I don't care if Kenny becomes a Hall of Famer with the Eagles and wins 10 Super Bowls, all I know for sure is, every time he faces the Steelers I WANT THE TEAM, THE STEELERS, TO WIN.... THE TEAM.
Well I guess you wouldn't have or believing in having a Pitt Ring of Honor or the number of Pitt players in the HOFs? You sound exactly like a Steeler fan - unfortunately you sound like one that went to Ped U or WVU...not Pitt.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT