ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt adding women's lax as a sport. Hopefully men's lax follows.

ratking17

Head Coach
Mar 15, 2009
I would assume Title IX issues here make women's lax the first sport added but I would also assume men's cant be far behind.

Reactions: H2P-2007
It may be sexist, but I have never been a fan of women's lacrosse. Women beating on each other with sticks while running up and down a field is not something I enjoy. Now, women's volleyball, where they try to smash the ball into their opponent's face while wearing those tight pants.... that's my idea of a good time.:)

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Per Lyke press conference (tweeted by Alan Saunders):

- Team will begin play in 2021-2022
- Scholarships fully funded
- Will play at Peterson Sports complex to start
- Will eventually play in new lacrosse stadium to be built as part of the Victory Heights initiative (fundraising ongoing for that project)
- First part of VictoryHeights already approved (added floor to Peterson Sports Complex).
- No plan to add men's lacrosse or any other sport at this time
- Men's BB season tickets well ahead of last year

How many high schools in Western PA have women’s lacrosse teams? Some have field hockey teams. Would it have made more sense for Pitt to start a women’s field hockey team?

How many high schools in Western PA have women’s lacrosse teams? Some have field hockey teams. Would it have made more sense for Pitt to start a women’s field hockey team?

CLASS AAA

Section 1

*- Peters Township, 8-1

*- Upper St. Clair, 8-1

*- Mt. Lebanon, 7-1

Bethel Park, 4-4

Canon-McMillan, 2-6

Baldwin, 1-8

Allderdice, 0-9

Section 2

*- Fox Chapel, 9-0

*- Shady Side Academy, 9-1

Indiana, 6-4

Latrobe, 5-4

Norwin, 4-5

Penn-Trafford, 3-7

Hempfield, 2-8

Freeport, 0-9

Section 3

*- Sewickley Academy, 8-1

*- Pine-Richland, 7-1

Seneca Valley, 5-3

North Hills, 4-5

North Allegheny, 3-5

Butler, 2-6

Shaler, 1-8

CLASS AA

Section 1

*- Oakland Catholic, 8-0

Franklin Regional, 7-1

Ellis School, 6-2

Plum, 4-4

Greensburg Central Catholic, 2-6

Yough, 2-7

Greensburg Salem, 0-9

Section 2

*- Trinity, 8-0-1

*- Quaker Valley, 6-2

*- Seton LaSalle, 6-2

*- Blackhawk, 5-2-1

Moon, 1-7

South Fayette, 1-7

Chartiers Valley, 1-8

Section 3

*- Hampton, 7-0

*- Mars, 6-1

Aquinas Academy, 3-3

Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic, 3-3

Knoch, 1-6

Winchester Thurston, 0-7

Reactions: Parkview57
LAX is fast-paced, high-scoring, hard-hitting -- just a fun sport to play and watch. My son plays. I said, "what the hell are you doing?" when he decided. But the games are fast-paced and high-scoring like basketball (and has the same type movement/flow), has physicality (like football and hockey) and requires speed and stamina (like soccer). I love it. There's a reason it's the fastest growing sport in this country (not soccer, it's 2nd best).

I am not sure the rules at the collegiate level, but here in central pa, girls high school lax really restricts the players from being aggressive. Lots of stupid restrictive rules. I hope college doesn't have that.

Lax is a fun easy to follow sport. I would totally follow pitt lax in the future

I dont think so.

With fully funded scholarships, recruits can and will come from everywhere. I would suspect the same model as soccer......hire a great coach and get good players from all over.

Knowing Heather, she will expect the new team to be real good real fast.

Reactions: bubba31
I would assume Title IX issues here make women's lax the first sport added but I would also assume men's cant be far behind.

We won't be adding any men's sports. One of the main reasons we added women’s Lax was Title IX.

Last edited:
Men’s Lax is pretty good , women’s though ......
Really boring but as someone said...it is what it is.

The only women’s sport in college not putting me to sleep in 5 minutes is Softball which is damn good..

I guess lady gymnasts are pretty good but it’s not really a sport..just a difficult way to leap or summersault from one place to another.

It may be sexist, but I have never been a fan of women's lacrosse. Women beating on each other with sticks while running up and down a field is not something I enjoy. Now, women's volleyball, where they try to smash the ball into their opponent's face while wearing those tight pants.... that's my idea of a good time.:)

giphy.gif
Chicks with Sticks!
Check out what happened to U of Cincy head women's lax coach this week for an interesting read

I am not sure the rules at the collegiate level, but here in central pa, girls high school lax really restricts the players from being aggressive. Lots of stupid restrictive rules. I hope college doesn't have that.

Lax is a fun easy to follow sport. I would totally follow pitt lax in the future

The collegiate rules are apparently similar. But it's a sport I personally don't get but I'm certainly not opposed to it either.

I am not opposed to it, but I say strike up the women's football teams and be done with it. The women( and HS girls) would love it, IMO

Here is what I don’t understand. Says in the article that they will build a women’s lax stadium that seats 3000. Why and where? Can’t they play on the soccer field?

No question this move has to happen if we want to be an ACC school. The next has to be men’s lax. It is the fastest growing sport. It will supplant softball and baseball at the youth level eventually. Numbers are already declining for these sports. Gives the university better exposure with elite universities.

Here is what I don’t understand. Says in the article that they will build a women’s lax stadium that seats 3000. Why and where? Can’t they play on the soccer field?

No question this move has to happen if we want to be an ACC school. The next has to be men’s lax. It is the fastest growing sport. It will supplant softball and baseball at the youth level eventually. Numbers are already declining for these sports. Gives the university better exposure with elite universities.
Baseball will not be supplanted by lax in this country. The same soccer fantasy is now about 30 yrs old and ain’t happened yet.

Reactions: brickfhouse
LAX is fast-paced, high-scoring, hard-hitting -- just a fun sport to play and watch. My son plays. I said, "what the hell are you doing?" when he decided. But the games are fast-paced and high-scoring like basketball (and has the same type movement/flow), has physicality (like football and hockey) and requires speed and stamina (like soccer). I love it. There's a reason it's the fastest growing sport in this country (not soccer, it's 2nd best).

Man, this was a sport I wish was more prevalent and popular when I was in school. I would have loved to play this. I messed around in college with it, but this is something most of us in Western Pa growing up in the 80's missed out on.

Reactions: passedout
Lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the country and the Mid-Atlantic/NY corridor is to this sport what the Southeast is for football talent.

Would think/hope a mens team is close behind this announcement.

Reactions: passedout
Baseball will not be supplanted by lax in this country. The same soccer fantasy is now about 30 yrs old and ain’t happened yet.
The average age of baseball fans is like 57! Compared to like 42 for hoops and 35 for soccer. I dropped baseball 20 years ago, I realized at one point, "why am I watching this boring crap?" I think when old people like you die, baseball will follow you soon after.

The average age of baseball fans is like 57! Compared to like 42 for hoops and 35 for soccer. I dropped baseball 20 years ago, I realized at one point, "why am I watching this boring crap?" I think when old people like you die, baseball will follow you soon after.
Lmao

You maroons can’t complete a sentence wo the “old guys dying”

Just as Lefties always think the Yutes will be your savior; but most grow up and get a clue and guess what , you lose.

Baseball will not be supplanted by Lax or kiick thee ball kiick thee ball harder.

Reactions: brickfhouse
Lmao

You maroons can’t complete a sentence wo the “old guy”.

Just as Lefties always think the Yutes will be your savior; but most grow up and get a clue and guess what , you lose.

Baseball will not be supplanted by Lax or kiick thee ball kiick the ball harder.
Maybe not. It's pretty much nothing anywhere but here, Japan and the Carribean, so we'll see.

It has nothing to do with politics, so I don't know how you get "lefties", I just think baseball is super boring, I can't sit through it, it's too slow, that's all, that's why I quit watching it 25 years ago.

Oh, I go to the ball park maybe once or twice a year to drink beer with friends, but always make sure I sit far away, because since I won't be paying attention, I don't want to get hit by a foul ball.

Man, this was a sport I wish was more prevalent and popular when I was in school. I would have loved to play this. I messed around in college with it, but this is something most of us in Western Pa growing up in the 80's missed out on.

I wish the internet was more prevalent and popular when I was in school. I wouldn’t have played anything.

Lmao

You maroons can’t complete a sentence wo the “old guys dying”

Baseball will not be supplanted by Lax or kiick thee ball kiick thee ball harder.

Tick tick tick

Reactions: HOF Coach

Because 3 varsity teams sharing one field for both practice and game competitions is way less than ideal. They really need a second field. It is already over-crowded.

The reason a women's sport was added was Title IX, not the ACC. The ACC played a role in sport selection, but not the add. Pitt's been looking for years to add a women's sport but, simply, couldn't afford to before now. They've essentially been out of compliance with Title IX for over a decade but luckily have flown under the radar. But in the ACC, adding lax makes sense based on conference quality, regional demographics, and that it would get more exposure than field hockey or rowing on the ACC Network. They looked hard at rowing a few years back. It provides good scholarship numbers and avoids overcrowding the Olympic sports facilities on the hill, but is just an expensive sport to field with the cost of shells and boathouse necessities, etc.

I wouldn't hold your breath on men's lax. At least not until after a lax-dedicated stadium is in the works for sure. There's a reason there are only 5 ACC schools with men's lax. Again, it is a Title IX number issues. If Pitt were to add a men's sport (which is unlikely barring some big Pegula-like donation), lax would be near the top of the list, but they'd also have to add another women's sport along side of it, which is the problem. That's an expensive proposition.

Last edited:
Because 3 varsity teams sharing one field for both practice and game competitions is way less than ideal. They really need a second field. It is already over-crowded.

The reason a women's sport was added was Title IX, not the ACC. The ACC played a role in sport selection, but not the add. Pitt's been looking for years to add a women's sport but, simply, couldn't afford to before now. They've essentially been out of compliance with Title IX for over a decade but luckily have flown under the radar. But in the ACC, adding lax makes sense based on conference quality, regional demographics, and that it would get more exposure than field hockey or rowing on the ACC Network. They looked hard at rowing a few years back. It provides good scholarship numbers and avoids overcrowding the Olympic sports facilities on the hill, but is just an expensive sport to field with the cost of shells and boathouse necessities, etc.

I wouldn't hold your breath on men's lax. At least not until after a lax-dedicated stadium is in the works for sure. There's a reason there are only 5 ACC schools with men's lax. Again, it is a Title IX number issues. If Pitt were to add a men's sport (which is unlikely barring some big Pegula-like donation), it would be near the top of the list, but they'd also have to add another women's sport along side of it, which is the problem. That's an expensive proposition.

Yep. Heather basically said after this add there is nothing else in the works in the forseeable future.

Yep. Heather basically said after this add there is nothing else in the works in the forseeable future.

There was really absolutely nothing new from anything she said yesterday, except for the timetable for adding lax. Bwh05 informed the board that women's lax was coming (at least) over a year ago.

My primary concern in the past with bwh05 news about adding women's lax was the field crowding issue, so with that on the docket to be addressed, I think this is a great add given the university's needs, associated costs, exposure, demographics, conference quality, and available choices.

There was really absolutely nothing new from anything she said yesterday, except for the timetable for adding lax. Bwh05 informed the board that women's lax was coming (at least) over a year ago.

My primary concern in the past with bwh05 news about adding women's lax was the field crowding issue, so with that on the docket to be addressed, I think this is a great add given the university's needs, associated costs, exposure, demographics, conference quality, and available choices.

There have been some discussions about the land below the PSC for a possible expansion

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
There have been some discussions about the land below the PSC for a possible expansion
Interesting, and probably the best place to put a new field up there. Pitt already does own a number of the parcels on Brackenridge Street (including the largest ones close to Robinson Street) but there still appear to be a few owned and occupied homes that would need to be acquired. Given the location and the likely (my guess) age of the homeowners, it shouldn’t cost too much to acquire the rest of the land they would need between Brackenridge and the PSC.

:cool:
Interesting, and probably the best place to put a new field up there. Pitt already does own a number of the parcels on Brackenridge Street (including the largest ones close to Robinson Street) but there still appear to be a few owned and occupied homes that would need to be acquired. Given the location and the likely (my guess) age of the homeowners, it shouldn’t cost too much to acquire the rest of the land they would need between Brackenridge and the PSC.

We tried to buy up property when we built the PSC but some didn’t want to sell and some even tried to portray Pitt as screwing people over. Of course many of those homes ended up condemned which was clearly Pitt’s fault lol

If the goal had been to pick a much, much more boring game, then of course it would have...

Reactions: paulbl99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT