ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Attendance/Atmosphere continues to hurt recruiting 4/5 star recruits

Lets start by trying to keep a Head Coach for more than 5 seasons. How about winning the Home games that we are supposed to win. Maybe if we get a lead in a game we don’t go into “conservative lets not lose this game” mode and let teams come back and beat us in the second half. How about we wins games that are national TV games that have strong followings and ratings instead of playing like we really don’t deserve to be on the field with those teams . Lets try to recruit and develop a quality QB nand running back that could be named in the running for Heisman every couple years or possibly great players that draws National attention. How about we field a defense that doesn’t give up tons of passing yards or points and gets blown away by teams that it should beat.
I guess what I am trying to say is when Pitt offers a program that will consistently WIN games, play exciting football, rank nationally in offense and defenses that dominate and compete for ACC and National Championships, we can expect to see Pittsburgh Fans showing up to want to be part of that excitement. It’s not really that difficult to see the solution.........play entertaining football..........recruit great players and.........just win baby. It’s not really that difficult.

Well it is kind of difficult. Outside of 10 or 15 schools it's extremely difficult to win long term.

exactly....and it is on TV as well.
The Duke game after Clemson is often cited as an indictment of poor fan support. But it's more an indictment of the cruelty of the college football system to maintain interest, especially in a pro town. If the Steelers were having a mediocre season and looked unlikely to make the playoffs, but (say) pulled off an unlikely road win over New England to put them back in the wildcard or division hunt, and then had a home game... I'd imagine there would big sudden interest and walk up action. Because suddenly the playoffs were at stake, and even a wildcard berth gives you a shot (however tough) to win it all.

However, for Pitt, by the time of the Clemson win, the damage had been done. We weren't gonna win the Coastal, and thus we had no chance to win the conference (or certainly not to go to the college football playoff). At best we were gonna get a marginal bowl no matter what, and it really didn't matter if we had 6, 7, or 8 wins, we'd be slotted into one of the least appealing of those bowls.

It's our own fault for losing a couple of close games we had every chance to win, so I'm not whining. But in a pro town especially, having no chance for a championship at all squashes fan interest in coming out for late season games.

I saw Heather Lyke's recent comment about selling 50,000 season tickets. Sadly, I've seen this same statement two years ago when Scott Barnes looked like an utter fool "SEASON TICKET RECORD" while Heinz looked like a yellow morgue the rest of the season even after the signature PSU win everyone was looking for. I'm obviously pro on campus vs off campus however then again who is building a new off campus state of the art facilities or moving off campus to a pro stadium these days? The answer is nobody and why Heinz doesn't work. USF and Temple are the latest schools playing in pro stadiums looking to move to an on campus stadium. Regardless of the situation, I want to see improvement with Pitt football and it appears to me that athletics keeps doing the same thing over and over again regardless of the leadership whether its Pederson, Barnes and now Lyke when it comes to Heinz Field.

The reason Pitt wants to play Penn State so badly is because it helps ticket sales which I get however I have a major problem with how Pitt markets the rest of the schedule. I'm sure the Pitt/PSU atmosphere will be great and they will talk it up, but I'm realist and also a frustrated fan because when I see the same results/marketing plan year after year, I know nothing is being changed to fix the problem. The bottom line is we need a much better atmosphere at Heinz for the rest of the other games to attract 4/5 star recruits. Pitt puts out its marketing/promos a month before the season starts? Hello. Who does that? When MLB announces their schedule, the promo schedule comes with it. Pitt clearly has a ticket/atmosphere problem at Heinz vs other teams excluding PSU/ND/WVU and we saw how embarrassing it was all of last year even against a top 10 team in Oklahoma State. ESPN also exposed Heinz Field last year with Pitt and mocked it on college game day which is terrible for recruiting and you can bet that PSU, UM, ND, OSU (whom we compete with for 4/5 star players) use this to their advantage when it comes to negative recruiting. If I was recruiting a kid to come to my school over Pitt, I would absolutely be using this to my advantage because its legal/clean recruiting.

Pitt needs to sell all of the uppers for less attractive games or probably most games such as Albany for $1. Some might say this is crazy but isn't it better to have people in the building who are buying food, merchandise, etc. and might hopefully enjoy the experience and come back for another game or two. Everyone likes cheap tickets, food/drink specials so why not try it? I remember Buck night as a Pitt student back in the 90's and I'm not even a Pirates fan but I went. $1 tix and hot dogs was a great deal to me and it got people to go. How do you sell elite 4/5 star recruits when they see Heinz Field half empty and then go to UM/OSU/ND/PSU the week later for another visit packed with a great atmosphere. I'm sorry but its an impossible task for the coaching staff and I feel we aren't giving Duzz the tools he needs to really grow the program. Are you happy being 7-5 every year and playing in a stupid meaningless Tire Bowl? I'm not. If you go through the schedule for this season and what do you think our record will be? Yep, same results year after year. We do get a few top recruits each year whether its Ford, Hamlin, Whitehead, Boyd, etc. but if you want to compete for championships the formula shows you need 8 to 10 4/5 stars per class. OK, there will be a few cases where I'm wrong like a Wisconsin, but for the most part if you want to compete for ACC championships to potentially get a playoff shot, the entire Heinz strategy needs to change to help recruiting. If you don't want to change the plan, move back to campus so you can build your own 55K seat stadium in Panther hollow or on the OC lot where there is room for it so we can have on campus atmosphere like the schools we compete for elite players. I want to be also be VERY clear that there will always be 2 or 3 star players who turn out to be stars whether its Donald, Revis, etc. but the bottom line is the recruiting rankings don't lie. You can't rely on recruiting these high ceiling players who usually don't pan out otherwise Pitt would have a much better record. We need sure things like a Shady, Boyd, Whitehead, etc. who make a clear different in your program. There will be some 4/5 busts but if you recruit 8 to 10 per class you will be fine for the long run and build depth especially when key players get hurt which we don't have in certain positions.

Lastly, nobody gives a crap about the City of champions, Pitt practicing next to Ben/AB/Bell, playing at the same stadium at the Steelers, etc. We've seen tons of local 4/5 star players who I'm sure grew up diehard Steeler fans (not the Browns) and went elsewhere so that theory clearly doesn't work especially when the Steelers are also a national team. It's beyond frustrating when fans get upset and then strictly want to blame the coaches. Yes, you need good coaching but you need elite players to compete for championships otherwise you get the same results like we are seeing. Unlike the NFL, you can't pay free agents and don't get to draft better players based on having a poor record. That's why recruiting and atmosphere/marketing plays a vital role in Pitt's future success and we've done a terrible job in improving this process. H2P!

The Pirates have a much larger pool to draw from. When they do a $1 night or fireworks night, there target audience is basically all 2 million Western Pennsylvanians because almost everyone is a Pirate fan or a "annual night out at PNC fan" to some degree. Pitt has very few fans in comparison and a $1 Pitt night against Albany isn't going to sell more than maybe a couple thousand extra tickets, maybe, and you pi$$ off season ticket holders for that extra 2000 sold seats.

I've said this before, if Pitt announced all upper deck seats were free for the entire year, it would not make a noticeable difference in crowd size. Price is not keepikg keeping Pitt fans away. Pitt draws a good amount of fans for what it is, a relatively small school with small alumni base (compared with other P5s) playing in a city where it is the minor league team. The problem is not the fans, the price, or the location. Its the size of Heinz Field. If 30K seats were destroyed from HF tomorrow, the 40K at a Pitt game vs Albany would be absolutely rocking.

I'm expecting PM may be found guilty of some of the 18 charges Mueller charged him with by Monday or Tuesday of this week. I'll come back on the board once the verdict is announced. Not a witch hunt.

Will you also be here, so we can discuss.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
No discussion the CENSOR threatened already..

PM trial has what to do with Muellers Russian HOAX Trump witch hunt?

Boris wants to know....
Where are Moose and Squirrel?

The Pirates have a much larger pool to draw from. When they do a $1 night or fireworks night, there target audience is basically all 2 million Western Pennsylvanians because almost everyone is a Pirate fan or a "annual night out at PNC fan" to some degree. Pitt has very few fans in comparison and a $1 Pitt night against Albany isn't going to sell more than maybe a couple thousand extra tickets, maybe, and you pi$$ off season ticket holders for that extra 2000 sold seats.

I've said this before, if Pitt announced all upper deck seats were free for the entire year, it would not make a noticeable difference in crowd size. Price is not keepikg keeping Pitt fans away. Pitt draws a good amount of fans for what it is, a relatively small school with small alumni base (compared with other P5s) playing in a city where it is the minor league team. The problem is not the fans, the price, or the location. Its the size of Heinz Field. If 30K seats were destroyed from HF tomorrow, the 40K at a Pitt game vs Albany would be absolutely rocking.
Since we'll be past Penn State on the schedule after this year, I think the AD is going to institute some type of change, whether it involves outright tarps, or just restricting season tic sales to the lower bowl.

I personally think the harping on attendance is a vehicle of the local media that is mostly made up of grads from traditional Pitt rivals. But I get the impression from interviews in recent years that Pitt leadership is growing sensitive to the negative optics of the attendance. Lyke and Gallagher seem more proactive on perceived problem areas, as the Stallings firing showed.

We aren't gonna get the Steelers to agree to dark seats, so that pretty much limits any other options.

Exactly. It is not a pricepoint thing at all. It is more of a habit thing. People here just aren't in the habit of going to a college football game. They grew up, most who went to another college or did not go, rooting for the pro teams in town. Hell, let's face it, the local kids who went or go to Pitt likely grew up rooting for the Steelers before they did Pitt.

In our lifetimes, well most of ours, the Steelers sustained period of "down time", they still went to the AFC Championship game in 1985 and was a dropped past away from knocking off the Broncos in 1989. Contrast this with say the Browns or Lions or Titans......and at the same time, Pitt could have put a real foothold on a fanbase here, and well....we floundered despite having top 10 recruiting classes.

In my cognizant sports viewing life.....meaning from like 8 years old and over, that is now 40+ years (ahem), the Steelers have drafted in the Top 10, what twice?? That means they were bottom 10 only 2 times in like 45 years. That kind of sustained success is hard to compete against when your high water marks are like an 8-5 type of season.

Since we'll be past Penn State on the schedule after this year, I think the AD is going to institute some type of change, whether it involves outright tarps, or just restricting season tic sales to the lower bowl.

I personally think the harping on attendance is a vehicle of the local media that is mostly made up of grads from traditional Pitt rivals. But I get the impression from interviews in recent years that Pitt leadership is growing sensitive to the negative optics of the attendance. Lyke and Gallagher seem more proactive on perceived problem areas, as the Stallings firing showed.

We aren't gonna get the Steelers to agree to dark seats, so that pretty much limits any other options.

They are going to have to. Every AD has said the goal is to sell every seat. That sounds nice but it isn't realistic. Pitt cannot fill 70K fans for Syracuse or GT. Pitt literally would have to become an Alabama or Ohio State and be and annual Top 5 team, not one year but every year to sell out games like that. An 8-4 or even a consistent 9-3 type program isnt going to sell 70K for those games.

The goal of the AD should be how to improve the atmosphere for what a realistic reasonable Pitt crowd will be.

"OK, we are going to draw somewhere between 35K and 50K unless we are a CFP contending program or PSU, ND, WVU, or a blue blood comes in, how can we improve the gameday atmosphere for that 35K-50K."

I've said it a million times, you have to eliminate the upper deck endzone and the upper deck non-TV sideline. That gives you a 45K seat stadium roughly with people sitting closer together. Whether you tarp over the seats or leave them empty yellow is a secondary discussion

Exactly. It is not a pricepoint thing at all. It is more of a habit thing. People here just aren't in the habit of going to a college football game. They grew up, most who went to another college or did not go, rooting for the pro teams in town. Hell, let's face it, the local kids who went or go to Pitt likely grew up rooting for the Steelers before they did Pitt.

In our lifetimes, well most of ours, the Steelers sustained period of "down time", they still went to the AFC Championship game in 1985 and was a dropped past away from knocking off the Broncos in 1989. Contrast this with say the Browns or Lions or Titans......and at the same time, Pitt could have put a real foothold on a fanbase here, and well....we floundered despite having top 10 recruiting classes.

In my cognizant sports viewing life.....meaning from like 8 years old and over, that is now 40+ years (ahem), the Steelers have drafted in the Top 10, what twice?? That means they were bottom 10 only 2 times in like 45 years. That kind of sustained success is hard to compete against when your high water marks are like an 8-5 type of season.
Agreed. The early to mid 80s were our best chance to rise to a blue blood status. We were still getting great recruiting (think of our fleet of elite tailbacks at one time in the mid 80s!). The Steelers had a bit of a lull. The Pirates and Pens were dead. A couple of NC runs would have helped us approach critical mass in the region as the Steelers had done in the late 70s. WPA was hurting then and would have thrown behind a big sports winner more than ever.

But we squandered it ... first allowing Sherrill to leave, then choosing poorly in his replacement, underachieving on the field with top notch talent, and failing to upgrade facilities (quite the opposite, actually). By the early 90s, the O Conner fiasco led to "public ivy" pretensions, the misguided faith in Hackett, the desperation that was Majors 2, and the bottom totally dropping out. By then, blue blood status and pecking order in college football was so firmly entrenched thanks to ESPN and the conference structure that we've never really recovered. I had hope that the ACC would propel us but not so far.

In the current structure I don't foresee a giant leap either. Too many top recruits are content to be stockpiled by the blue bloods. The networks as now configured aren't likely to allow that to change.

Best hope for Pitt, keeping Narduzzi and a stable staff around similar to Beamer at VT and hope he can slowly build a better program with solid depth. And like Washington, catch lightning in a bottle some year. That and if cable tv dissolves into an ad-hoc model and college football is forced to reconfigure to allow more even competition. Big if's.

Agreed. The early to mid 80s were our best chance to rise to a blue blood status. We were still getting great recruiting (think of our fleet of elite tailbacks at one time in the mid 80s!). The Steelers had a bit of a lull. The Pirates and Pens were dead. A couple of NC runs would have helped us approach critical mass in the region as the Steelers had done in the late 70s. WPA was hurting then and would have thrown behind a big sports winner more than ever.

But we squandered it ... first allowing Sherrill to leave, then choosing poorly in his replacement, underachieving on the field with top notch talent, and failing to upgrade facilities (quite the opposite, actually). By the early 90s, the O Conner fiasco led to "public ivy" pretensions, the misguided faith in Hackett, the desperation that was Majors 2, and the bottom totally dropping out. By then, blue blood status and pecking order in college football was so firmly entrenched thanks to ESPN and the conference structure that we've never really recovered. I had hope that the ACC would propel us but not so far.

In the current structure I don't foresee a giant leap either. Too many top recruits are content to be stockpiled by the blue bloods. The networks as now configured aren't likely to allow that to change.

Best hope for Pitt, keeping Narduzzi and a stable staff around similar to Beamer at VT and hope he can slowly build a better program with solid depth. And like Washington, catch lightning in a bottle some year. That and if cable tv dissolves into an ad-hoc model and college football is forced to reconfigure to allow more even competition. Big if's.
Pitt has yet to recover from The Killer Bees arrogance toward Jackie,and the same in the aftermath by simply handing the job to Foge.

Pitt has yet to recover from The Killer Bees arrogance toward Jackie,and the same in the aftermath by simply handing the job to Foge.

I contend that the move to match A&M and give Sherrill what he wants, or at least then hiring Jimmy Johnson instead of Foge goes down as one of the single worst blunders in college football history. IN ITS HISTORY! No program has ever had such a self inflicted blow, and in conjunction with SMU's "Death Penalty", no punishment worse.

Apparently those of you with the “winning cures all” mantra never bothered watching the YouTube video of Pitt vs Syracuse 1979. 3 years removed from a NC, Dan Marino at QB, Hugh Green at DE and 15 k empty seats to watch over things.

Maybe Pitt just got lucky in the 70s with Majors and his tons of recruits. They University was clearly unable to support the success long term. Pitt won the lottery and then didn't know how to manage their winnings, then went bankrupt. As opposed to acquiring wealth over time via smart decisions.

I contend that the move to match A&M and give Sherrill what he wants, or at least then hiring Jimmy Johnson instead of Foge goes down as one of the single worst blunders in college football history. IN ITS HISTORY! No program has ever had such a self inflicted blow, and in conjunction with SMU's "Death Penalty", no punishment worse.
Pretty much. One area I always contend is a hidden consequence: if we make the right decisions, continued winning significantly, maintain facilities, also upgrading our basketball similarly... we'd have had a fighting chance to have been invited into the Big Ten over (or with) PSU at the time of the original expansion. It seems far fetched in retrospect because of how things really happened for us. But if we had made all the right moves leading up to that, I think things would have been drastically different.

Absolutely true. Pitt has been its own worst enemy, and the Sherrill exit/Foge hire is Exhibit A, Your Honor. Pitt was RIGHT THERE but threw it away in the worst eggheads-in-the-Cathedral debacle since the departure of Jock Sutherland.

Well it is kind of difficult. Outside of 10 or 15 schools it's extremely difficult to win long term.
It also only sold out less than 24 hours before kickoff and 7000 or so Cincy fans helped out.
Well, if youre going to play that nitpicking game, the weather was fairly crappy so that kept a few casual Pitt fans from buying tix and ... EVERY college team in America has opposing fans in attendance (especially big games). Do you think it's ALL Ohio St fans at an OSU/Michigan game in Columbus? And if you were at that game in '09, you barely noticed Cincy fans... Because there were 63000 fans and they were outnumbered 9-1. And at one point 1 in every 9 Pitt fan was being body pressed above their fellow Pitt fans heads. Winning brings fans in Pittsburgh. Do it on the regular and you build atmosphere.

It also only sold out less than 24 hours before kickoff and 7000 or so Cincy fans helped out.
Well, if youre going to play that nitpicking game, the weather was fairly crappy so that kept a few casual Pitt fans from buying tix and ... EVERY college team in America has opposing fans in attendance (especially big games). Do you think it's ALL Ohio St fans at an OSU/Michigan game in Columbus? And if you were at that game in '09, you barely noticed Cincy fans... Because there were 63000 fans and they were outnumbered 9-1. And at one point 1 in every 9 Pitt fan was being body pressed above their fellow Pitt fans heads. Winning brings fans in Pittsburgh. Do it on the regular and you build atmosphere.

Yes, the weather was cold but my point was that ONLY 58K Pitt fans showed for a championship game against an undefeated #4 team for a berth in the Sugar Bowl. And not every team travels. Let me ask you this, lets say on that day, all Pitt had to do was beat 4-7 Syracuse to win the BE. Syracuse would have traveled 100 fans. How many Pitt fans would have showed? My guess is 49K. Pitt just doesn't have a large enough fanbase to fill Heinz except for the most unique circumstances

Maybe Pitt just got lucky in the 70s with Majors and his tons of recruits. They University was clearly unable to support the success long term. Pitt won the lottery and then didn't know how to manage their winnings, then went bankrupt. As opposed to acquiring wealth over time via smart decisions.
I think this is a fair answer.
About the only defense I can offer to not having full houses then was the fact that we were in the midst of both Steeler mania at its peak and the Pirates also competing strongly. The region in tough economic straits. And it was pre-ESPN when college sports was more of niche entertainment than the mainstream/ primetime pastime they'd would become in the 80s and 90s. Combined, there was less capacity for the region to give Pitt football top priority then. Doesn't mean it alleviates the dismay of fan indifference then (though really, crowds weren't terrible, just not SRO) ... nor excuses the school for poor husbandry of the success. Just observations.

But, if a few schools are in the running and close, then a factor — such as the lack of game-day atmosphere at one of the schools — can be what helps a kid to make his difficult decision of eliminating one of the schools.

All schools have coaches who are good recruiters, who know how to make the kid feel like a priority. All schools preach that we’re a family... All schools can point to players in the NFL...

And all schools recruiting against Pitt can show photos of the yellow seats... And social media has made it simple to get this negative message to a recruit — over and over...

Go Pitt.
This isn't true. There are absolutely staffs with much, much better recruiters than we have. There are lots of staffs who can point to much better NFL production that our STAFF has. It doesn't matter that Pitt has had a few NFL standouts. It matters what this staff has done. Most haven't done much.

Reactions: pittdan77
Apparently those of you with the “winning cures all” mantra never bothered watching the YouTube video of Pitt vs Syracuse 1979. 3 years removed from a NC, Dan Marino at QB, Hugh Green at DE and 15 k empty seats to watch over things.

Actually, Pitt's attendance was 30% higher than the national average of Division 1 programs from 76-81.Winning isn't the lone solution, but it does increase attendance.

yeah but check it out in 1981 against cuse on a beautiful saturday at Pitt Stadium. Excellent crowd.

Actually, Pitt's attendance was 30% higher than the national average of Division 1 programs from 76-81.Winning isn't the lone solution, but it does increase attendance.
What does national averages have to do anything?

You like to make this false conclusion-
But national average attendance has nothing to do with a lack of filling a right sized on campus stadium, consistently- at the peak of our most successful run.

It’s not the stadium , or the font on the helmet, or the hue of the uniforms,

Simply put, there is not much- and never has been and likely will never be- community interest in Pitt football.

Too much local competition regionally,

It’s okay to simply accept that reality.

What does national averages have to do anything?

You like to make this false conclusion-
But national average attendance has nothing to do with a lack of filling a right sized on campus stadium, consistently- at the peak of our most successful run.

It’s not the stadium , or the font on the helmet, or the hue of the uniforms,

Simply put, there is not much- and never has been and likely will never be- community interest in Pitt football.

Too much local competition regionally,

It’s okay to simply accept that reality.

I'm showing that statements like 'Pitt never had good attendance even during the great years' is not true, because Pitt had good attendance in comparison to other programs at the time. The University dropped the ball, and we are still suffering.

If Pitt built a top program , there would be many more fans at the games. Sports is so much bigger now then just 20 years ago. Pirates were good back in the 80s and 90s, tons of empty seats. Now if we had those same teams right now , there would be packed crowds each night.

Pitt with a top program right now , on campus, would be magical, times are different and we , Pitt couldn't see the future and dug it's own grave

If Pitt built a top program , there would be many more fans at the games. Sports is so much bigger now then just 20 years ago. Pirates were good back in the 80s and 90s, tons of empty seats. Now if we had those same teams right now , there would be packed crowds each night.

Pitt with a top program right now , on campus, would be magical, times are different and we , Pitt couldn't see the future and dug it's own grave

You act as though this is the pros.

VT as an example. They use to play in a beat up stadium , like high school quality , this was in the 80s. They choose to build a program , they were drawing 15 000 at their games, now today ...... We are letting Pitt off the hook with this argument. PITT choose to shelve football , keep a team to say they had one , but didn't give two cents about it , all lip service and window dressing

Reactions: pittdan77
VT as an example. They use to play in a beat up stadium , like high school quality , this was in the 80s. They choose to build a program , they were drawing 15 000 at their games, now today ...... We are letting Pitt off the hook with this argument. PITT choose to shelve football , keep a team to say they had one , but didn't give two cents about it , all lip service and window dressing
VT has a large, passionate fanbase whose alums and people in their community value VT Football and support them financially. Their support helped build the program. They are PS on a smaller scale.

Reactions: ThePanthers

Pitt upgraded to a professional stadium......

Reactions: Burgh15
The stadium is fine, the [product is what needs to change. If you win, those seats will be packed. When Wanny was here and we played Cincy for the BCS bid, Heinz was absolutely rockin --- I'd put that atmosphere THAT day up against any other college stadium. It was wild, fun, fans were excited about THAT team. WIN... and it WILL be like that again sooner rather than later.

The Cincy game, as you implied, was a defacto playoff game. Sure, we'll have a good atmosphere if we have a home game where the conference championship is literally on the line. I don't see how that will happen in the ACC, which has a neutral site conference title game. At best we would get a defacto divisional championship game against an opponent, which requires us both to win more games, and to be lucky enough to get that game at home at the end of the season, possibly against the other top divisional foe.

We can't count on that Cincinnati situation very often is my point. Scheduling WVU and PSU is one of the few things we can do to bring in more attendance.

Absolutely true. Pitt has been its own worst enemy, and the Sherrill exit/Foge hire is Exhibit A, Your Honor. Pitt was RIGHT THERE but threw it away in the worst eggheads-in-the-Cathedral debacle since the departure of Jock Sutherland.

Let's face it, Pitt was "the U" before the U was. And if Sherrill stayed, likely Pitt wins the NC Marino's SR year, likely we contend and maybe win another over the next few years, and we again become what Miami became. Of course, the NCAA may have come harder after us, I think when they really started looking at Pitt as a program with recruiting violations, they saw the incompetency running Pitt sports and football and figure those sanctions where worse than what they could have done.

VT as an example. They use to play in a beat up stadium , like high school quality , this was in the 80s. They choose to build a program , they were drawing 15 000 at their games, now today ......

What are you talking about? Va Tech has played in Lane Stadium since the '60's, and by 1980 it had a seating capacity of 52,500. It was never a "like high school quality" stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT