ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Bubble Viewing Guide for 3/11

Feb 24, 2023
Here’s todays viewing guide for what who to watch as it pertains to Pitt’s tourney hopes. The teams in bold are who we need to root for:

• 1pm- Ohio State vs. Purdue (CBS)
  • 1pm- Saint Louis vs. VCU (CBSS)
  • 3pm- Cincinnati vs. Houston (ESPN2)
  • 330pm- Vanderbilt vs. Texas A&M (ESPN)
  • 330pm- Penn St. vs. Indiana (CBS)
  • 530pm- Tulane vs. Memphis (ESPN2)
  • 6pm- Utah St. vs. SDSU (CBS)
  • 830pm- UAB vs. FAU (CBSS)
That’s a full day of stressful basketball watching, let’s see what happens…

Here’s todays viewing guide for what who to watch as it pertains to Pitt’s tourney hopes. The teams in bold are who we need to root for:

FAU/UAB prime time will be the highest rated CUSA game ever in the Pgh market 😉

Reactions: HailToPitt725
This stuff all reeks of goober nerds making the rules up as they go. We're 35ish games into the season; I don't get how a single game (and, much worse: the point differential in that game) at this point is shifting teams up and down so much.

That said, I think we're well past the point of caring what Penn State does. They're solidly ahead of us. Unless we are talking about Indiana having a better chance to beat OSU, if it comes down to it.

Reactions: JD1976
This stuff all reeks of goober nerds making the rules up as they go. We're 35ish games into the season; I don't get how a single game (and, much worse: the point differential in that game) at this point is shifting teams up and down so much.

That said, I think we're well past the point of caring what Penn State does. They're solidly ahead of us. Unless we are talking about Indiana having a better chance to beat OSU, if it comes down to it.
Agreed on all points. I also agree that we can forget about worrying about Penn State. They have a good enough body of work at this point.

Nice work. This provides some good focus for the day. Maybe I’ll use as the basis for an 8 game parlay to make it even more fun.

Reactions: GaryMcgheeForThree

The SLU/VCU game is meaningless. The A10 is only getting 1 team in the dance, regardless.

The PSU/Indiana game is also meaningless. Both teams are in, and are above Pitt on the S-curves.

The USU/SDSU is mostly meaningless.... though it could impact whether Pitt is in Dayton or USU is.

The other five games are very important.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
The SLU/VCU game is meaningless. The A10 is only getting 1 team in the dance, regardless.

The PSU/Indiana game is also meaningless. Both teams are in, and are above Pitt on the S-curves.

The USU/SDSU is mostly meaningless.... though it could impact whether Pitt is in Dayton or USU is.

The other five games are very important.

Considering we lost to VCU, if they lose, then it make our loss versus them even worse. But I agree the A-10 is looking like a 1-bid league again.

And the committee has done bigger snubs than PSU and Utah St before, so I wouldn't say it's "meaningless," but if either pull a Pitt/Duke type performance today, then that might make them a like 95% lock vs. a 99%, which who knows what happens at that point.

So yeah those three aren't meaningless, but definitely way less meaningful than the other ones.

Reactions: FireballZ
I still believe that the decision will ultimately come more down to what number of bids the committee wants to award (or limit the ACC to) than what non ACC teams do today---although they might impact the total number of ACC bids that get awarded.

Only 3 (Duke, Virginia and Miami)?

Or four, the above 3 plus one of Pitt, NC State and Clemson?

Or five, 2 out of Pitt, NC State, Clemson.

Last edited:
I still believe that the decision will ultimately come more down to what number of bids the committee wants to award (or limit the ACC to) than what non ACC teams do today---although they might impact the total number of ACC bids that get awarded.

Only 3 (Duke, Virginia and Miami)?

Or four, the above 3 plus one of Pitt, NC State and Clemson?

Or five, 2 out of Pitt, NC State, Clemson.
5 is my bet.

3 would be a disgrace. The ACC is weak metrically because of the large number of teams in the conference, that doesn’t mean the top X of the ACC is any worse than the top X of the SEC or Big 10, those conferences just don’t have as many bottom feeders.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8

I think the bid stealers at this point are down to 3 teams assuming Utah State is already in which they probably are although you still want them to lose to San Diego. The 3 teams left are UAB over FAU, Tulane if they beat Memphis, and Dayton if they beat VCU tomorrow.

I think the bid stealers at this point are down to 3 teams assuming Utah State is already in which they probably are although you still want them to lose to San Diego. The 3 teams left are UAB over FAU, Tulane if they beat Memphis, and Dayton if they beat VCU tomorrow.
vcu???

Only Tulane and UAB can steal a bid now. Tulane would have to beat Memphis and FAU. Pitt seems like a lock for Dayton.
I’ll still give Dayton a slight chance of being a bid stealer if they can beat VCU tomorrow. VCU has an outside shot at getting an at large if they don’t win the A10 tourney so I’ll leave the door open at least a crack still went it comes to that game still being a potential bid stealer.

So Vandy definitely helped.

Not sure if Purdue, VCU, Houston has quite the impact, but looks like things breaking well.

Indiana/PSU probably didn’t impact us.

Penn State is no longer a bid stealer for Pitt at this point. They are safely in the tournament whether they beat Purdue tomorrow or not.
Yeah, it would have been funny see them blow that (just knowing it’s the same fans).

But not worth the energy to care too much

VCU has no quad one wins and 2 Q4 losses - if our NET was better they could have a Q1 win. They have no at large shot

I mean VCU still has 26 wins which is a lot and a NET of 61 and they beat Pitt head to head. So I wouldn’t say they have no shot at an at large bid. I’ll still root for Dayton tomorrow just to be safe. But I think we can safely sit here and say if Tulane loses to Memphis now and UAB loses to FAU then the bid stealers are all but done and Pitt would be in pretty good shape going into selection Sunday tomorrow.

I mean VCU still has 26 wins which is a lot and a NET of 61 and they beat Pitt head to head. So I wouldn’t say they have no shot at an at large bid. I’ll still root for Dayton tomorrow just to be safe. But I think we can safely sit here and say if Tulane loses to Memphis now and UAB loses to FAU then the bid stealers are all but done and Pitt would be in pretty good shape going into selection Sunday tomorrow.
If you think VCU might be in, then you want to root for VCU tomorrow... not Dayton. You don't want Dayton to be a bid stealer.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT