ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Bubble Viewing Guide for 3/11

Lunardi referenced VCU as a possible at large today if they don’t win. Root for VCU. And Duke tonight. Losing is bad, but losing to tourney champ may help some with perception.

Lunardi referenced VCU as a possible at large today if they don’t win. Root for VCU. And Duke tonight. Losing is bad, but losing to tourney champ may help some with perception.
Again they have zero Q1 wins and 2 Q4 losses. Yes they beat Pitt but they have no shot. Still yes root for them.

Reactions: MTkeeper23
What about Virginia winning the tournament wouldn’t that help the overall resume more since beat them then Duke winning even though as you mentioned they would be the champ but they still destroyed Pitt.

Again they have zero Q1 wins and 2 Q4 losses. Yes they beat Pitt but they have no shot. Still yes root for them.

Yeah, you still want the perception of only losing to the A10T champs by four rather than the A10T second place team.

Northwestern winning yesterday would have helped with that also.

What about Virginia winning the tournament wouldn’t that help the overall resume more since beat them then Duke winning even though as you mentioned they would be the champ but they still destroyed Pitt.
We need our UVA home win to stay Q1 so root for them.

Having a win against the tourney champ also helps with perception. The Duke/UVa result won't impact Pitt at all.

I just said the opposite…lol…but fair point there too.

At this point, it’s probably more about what the bubble teams do than something that might give a mini-boost to our resume.

It will of Duke kills them and UVA NET goes above 30. It’s 23 now
There's no way a UVA loss to Duke on a neutral floor will move them 8 spots in NET.

Yes, Pitt fell 11 spots... but it is easier to have big moves the farther back in NET that you are. And also, there were 30 other games that day impacting Pitt's ranking in NET.

Even if Duke won by 30 tonight, UVA would stay Top 30.

Absolutely think you want Duke to win so you can play the caught-them-at-the-wrong-time card (and further distance ourselves from Clemson, if Duke could handle UVA). Miami keeping it close without one of their better players already wasn't a great look.

Memphis up 25 on Tulane at the half so that game is close to being over already with a Memphis Houston Conference final which is what we wanted. If UAB doesn’t steal a bid tonight by beating FAU I really don’t see a scenario where Pitt doesn’t at least make it to Dayton on Tuesday or Wednesday. There is just not enough that has happened the last 2-3 days with these bubble teams that are behind Pitt or right there with them for them not to get in.

There's no way a UVA loss to Duke on a neutral floor will move them 8 spots in NET.

Yes, Pitt fell 11 spots... but it is easier to have big moves the farther back in NET that you are. And also, there were 30 other games that day impacting Pitt's ranking in NET.

Even if Duke won by 30 tonight, UVA would stay Top 30.
Well UVA went from 29 to 23 last night so i wouldn’t tempt fate

Absolutely think you want Duke to win so you can play the caught-them-at-the-wrong-time card (and further distance ourselves from Clemson, if Duke could handle UVA). Miami keeping it close without one of their better players already wasn't a great look.

I was leaning that way too because it IS a selection *committee*, and that perception probably helps more.

Well UVA went from 29 to 23 last night so i wouldn’t tempt fate
There's not enough teams playing today for them to have that kind of move after tonight. The NET has more fluidity when there are lots of teams playing on a particular day, because it takes multiple teams moving up or down for really big moves to happen.

A loss to 17-NET Duke on a neutral court will not drop UVA 8 spots. It's not even possible, really.

Even without any of the possible bid stealers such as UAB or Tulane (Tulane not looking like a concern any longer), isn’t Pitt still vying with teams such as Rutgers, Arizona State, Nevada, Vanderbilt and Oklahoma St for the last 2 at-large spots going to Dayton. If you’re comfortable thinking we’re in the top 2 of that group, then you have us in a tourney playin game.

Or if you think we’re also above teams like NCST, Utah State and Miss St, then we’re comfortably in the tourney and not in a Dayton playin game.

I’d probably throw VCU into the mix as well as a candidate for one of those at-large spots if Dayton beats them for the A10 AQ spot.

Even without any of the possible bid stealers such as UAB or Tulane (Tulane not looking like a concern any longer), isn’t Pitt still vying with teams such as Rutgers, Arizona State, Nevada, Vanderbilt and Oklahoma St for the last 2 at-large spots going to Dayton. If you’re comfortable thinking we’re in the top 2 of that group, then you have us in a tourney playin game.

Or if you think we’re also above teams like NCST, Utah State and Miss St, then we’re comfortably in the tourney and not in a Dayton playin game.

I’d probably throw VCU into the mix as well as a candidate for one of those at-large spots if Dayton beats them for the A10 AQ spot.
I don't think we're vying with Vandy or Nevada. I think both of those are CLEARLY behind Pitt.

I also agree with Lunardi and Palm that NCSU and ASU are behind Pitt.

Reactions: cabe23
I don't think we're vying with Vandy or Nevada. I think both of those are CLEARLY behind Pitt.

I don’t see how Pitt can’t be in - at least in Dayton now even if UAB wins

I don’t see how Pitt can’t be in - at least in Dayton now even if UAB wins
Again, it is no sure thing. It will come down to how the committee views that long list of teams I gave. Given how the ACC is generally viewed across the board relative to the other conferences, it is no slam dunk that we’re in.

I’m not going to vehemently disagree with you but will say that it’s all just opinions right now. The only opinion that matters is the committee’s and who knows what they really think. The resumes of all these schools I listed really aren’t that different and I’m not real comfortable given how the ACC conference is viewed relative to the other conferences.

A couple weeks ago we were firmly in but we did ourselves no favors how we closed things out.

I’m not going to vehemently disagree with you but will say that it’s all just opinions right now. The only opinion that matters is the committee’s and who knows what they really think. The resumes of all these schools I listed really aren’t that different and I’m not real comfortable given how the ACC conference is viewed relative to the other conferences.

A couple weeks ago we were firmly in but we did ourselves no favors how we closed things out.
Capel late late collapse?

I think Pitt right now is around 90% to make it.

If FAU wins it goes to like 96%

If SDSU and FAU win - 99%

Reactions: cabe23
I think Pitt right now is around 90% to make it.

If FAU wins it goes to like 96%

If SDSU and FAU win - 99%
I agree with this.

And I would add:

Right now.... 40% bye / 50% Dayton / 10% out

If SDSU wins.... 50% bye / 40% Dayton / 10% out

If SDSU loses and FAU wins... 30% bye / 66% Dayton / 4% out

If both SDSU and FAU wins... 50% bye / 49% Dayton / 1% out

I agree with this.

And I would add:

Agreed, if they both lose I would go 40% bye, 50% Dayton, 10% out. And I think this is our worst case

I agree with this.

And I would add:

You and Whirly changing your %’s based on if SDSU wins. You don’t think Utah State is already in and ranked higher than Pitt?

You and Whirly changing your %’s based on if SDSU wins. You don’t think Utah State is already in and ranked higher than Pitt?

If they end up losing this game they are still probably in, but they very well could be behind us already and and even if they aren't it's surely close. The Athletic guy has them as one of the last four in and two spots behind us. That certainly could be the way that the committee sees it, and if so a lose tonight probably leaves them still in, but also still behind us.

We had a ball in the air to win the ACC regular season. I get what the metrics say. I get that the conference has some duds. But that also says we were right there over the long haul with the best the conference has.

That HAS to count for something with perception. I’m not asking for a top 4 seed I’m asking to get in the regular field

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
I think USU is in already. I think a loss today slightly increases our odds of avoiding Dayton and slightly decreases the odds that USU avoids Dayton.

Reactions: Elsalvador
IMHO, if ACC only gets 4 bids, it should be between Pitt and NC State for the 4th bid.

If 5 bids both Pitt and NC State should both be in unless Clemson enters the picture over Pitt.

IMHO, if ACC only gets 4 bids, it should be between Pitt and NC State for the 4th bid.

If 5 bids both Pitt and NC State should both be in unless Clemson enters the picture over Pitt.
It’s hard to compare all these bubble teams across various conferences but looking within conference I agree with you w/r to Pitt and NCST. NCST is pretty much universally rated higher than us but my biased self has a hard time agreeing. I’d be a little annoyed if we end up getting left out while NCST makes it.

I think that everything has gone our way and it looks like we’re narrowly going to make the cut BUT it also shows how far from safe we were, even after the Gtech win.

I was ridiculing the penn st game in OT in the 50’s the other day but the ACC final is even worse. 24-17 halftime

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT