ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt has the best wins

Zeppy13

Prep
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2024
I think Pitt has the best wins of Penn State or West Virginia in the last 5 years. Do you agree? Pitt has beaten a 13 ranked Wake Forest, 15 Ranked Louisville. An unranked Clemson (but I think we will all agree that was a huge game). Does WVU even have a ranked win in that time? PSU beat a 25 ranked IOWA at home. Pitt has had bigger wins as of the last 5 years, am I wrong?

I think Pitt has the best wins of Penn State or West Virginia in the last 5 years. Do you agree? Pitt has beaten a 13 ranked Wake Forest, 15 Ranked Louisville. An unranked Clemson (but I think we will all agree that was a huge game). Does WVU even have a ranked win in that time? PSU beat a 25 ranked IOWA at home. Pitt has had bigger wins as of the last 5 years, am I wrong?

Not sure that says much. I dont think Franklin has ever beaten a ranked team. Maybe Iowa but I dont count them as a ranked team. That's a program that should get the death penalty for what they have done to college football.

And PSU probably wont have to beat a ranked team to make the CFP this year. Just get off the bus 10 times to play some 7-5 teams and boom.....CFP

Last edited:
I suppose you're right, but the flip side to that is we've probably had the worst losses as well which does more to shape perception. The occasional David vs Goliath win is not sustainable and causes delusional hope that we have turned the corner to an upper tier team when actually we just seem to be good as playing under dog. Hopefully we get back to 9 wins which feels like it should be sustainable.

Reactions: Millerton
While you’re right, Pitt has had its fair share of big wins the last 5 years, like others have mentioned, the crushing losses are just as important. I often play the mental gymnastics of “what if” with Pitt more than I care to admit.

While you’re right, Pitt has had its fair share of big wins the last 5 years, like others have mentioned, the crushing losses are just as important. I often play the mental gymnastics of “what if” with Pitt more than I care to admit.

One thing about Franklin, is he has like 0 WTF losses and near 0 upset losses of any nature. He is as predictable as they get. If he has better players, he wins. If he doesn't, he loses.

Pitt has the only conference championship during the past 5 years. PSU beat Utah in the Rose Bowl a couple years back when Utah finished ranked #11.

One thing about Franklin, is he has like 0 WTF losses and near 0 upset losses of any nature. He is as predictable as they get. If he has better players, he wins. If he doesn't, he loses.
The Big Ten rarely has any teams ranked 15-25. They usually have a couple top 10-15 teams, then a huge drop off. I don't know how much the new additions really build up the middle of the conference.

Pitt has the only conference championship during the past 5 years. PSU beat Utah in the Rose Bowl a couple years back when Utah finished ranked #11.

Exhibition games dont count. We beat a UCLA team with the same record who beat Utah. Big whoop.

So… if you don’t include all the games in a year, and also not include all the years in the timeframe that was stated?

Being it is that username’s initial post, could it be an alter ego of someone else who would use that line of reasoning.

So… if you don’t include all the games in a year, and also not include all the years in the timeframe that was stated?

Being it is that username’s initial post, could it be an alter ego of someone else who would use that line of reasoning.

All games are included except the exhibition games

Five years is a weird cutoff to make this point. For instance, in 2019 Penn State beat Michigan (finished 18th), Iowa (finished 15th), and Memphis (finished 17th). And then in 2022 they beat Utah (finished 10th). And they have some at least a handful of other ranked wins, too, whereas I think our only other ones besides the ones I'm mentioning below might be Louisville and UCLA.

So our best wins were Clemson (finished 14th) and Wake (finished 15th), but they have one that is higher and have more over ranked teams. So I'm just not sure what we're illustrating here.

Reactions: Mufasa94
All games are included
First off, the OP ignored a whole season (2019) in the timeframe they chose to use as another poster pointed out. Then there is the bowl game results…
except the exhibition games
As yet another (earlier) poster mentioned, the bowl games count on the record and in the rankings.

Pitt ended as a 3-loss non-top 10 team in 2021.

PSU ended as a 3-loss non-top 10 team in 2023.

Do you think Pitt would like a Rose Bowl or Cotton Bowl win? Pitt hasn't won a major bowl game since 1982.

Not sure that says much. I dont think Franklin has ever beaten a ranked team. Maybe Iowa but I dont count them as a ranked team. That's a program that should get the death penalty for what they have done to college football.

And PSU probably wont have to beat a ranked team to make the CFP this year. Just get off the bus 10 times to play some 7-5 teams and boom.....CFP
Franklin and Penn State beat #2 Ohio State in 2016.

NOT an exhibition game if it counts in your win / loss record and in the final rankings. FACT! You can keep saying it, and I'll keep telling you the facts!
Don’t bother. He’s the same one who insists last year’s hoops team was an NCAA team. He’ll say whatever in his fantastical head to support whatever narrative he wants to pursue.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittmeister
First off, the OP ignored a whole season (2019) in the timeframe they chose to use as another poster pointed out. Then there is the bowl game results…

As yet another (earlier) poster mentioned, the bowl games count on the record and in the rankings.

Pitt ended as a 3-loss non-top 10 team in 2021.

PSU ended as a 3-loss non-top 10 team in 2023.

That's great. I dont care. Bowl games are exhibitions. Count them if you like but I dont. Congrats on beating Utah though. Real great W there.

Reactions: cashisking884
The Big Ten rarely has any teams ranked 15-25. They usually have a couple top 10-15 teams, then a huge drop off. I don't know how much the new additions really build up the middle of the conference.
Interesting thought. If you assume Michigan and Ohio State are in the upper echelon, where do you rank a Penn State, Oregon, USC, Washington? Even a Wisconsin, Michigan State, Nebraska or Iowa can all be ranked solidly in the Top 25. In terms of depth, I think it’s every bit as deep as the SEC.

Interesting thought. If you assume Michigan and Ohio State are in the upper echelon, where do you rank a Penn State, Oregon, USC, Washington? Even a Wisconsin, Michigan State, Nebraska or Iowa can all be ranked solidly in the Top 25. In terms of depth, I think it’s every bit as deep as the SEC.
Maybe with dropping divisions, the middle of the pack teams won't cannibalize each other from having to all play one another. It seemed in the past, no one in the West other than Iowa/Wisconsin (and usually never both at the same time) could step up to be even a 15-25 ranked team. It's not so much that any of the programs can't do it, they definitely have the potential to in a good year, there just never was more than one or two doing it at any given time.

No, just games that occurred in October 2016.

That is incorrect. But, you’d probably make up another reason to not count the others, something like they occurred on a Saturday.

List the wins over ranked teams that arent Iowa or exhibition games.

List the wins over ranked teams that arent Iowa or exhibition games.
Not counting Iowa, there were 3 bowl games. Not including the bowl games that count towards a team’s record, there was Michigan, Wisconsin, and Northwestern.

Now, you can do a little self educating to learn the years that those happened.

Btw, the one making the claim should be the one supporting said claim with proof.

Not counting Iowa, there were 3 bowl games. Not including the bowl games that count towards a team’s record, there was Michigan, Wisconsin, and Northwestern.

Now, you can do a little self educating to learn the years that those happened.

Btw, the one making the claim should be the one supporting said claim with proof.

What years did they beat those ranked teams? Beating a ranked NW is kinda funny but seriously, I don't remember these. What years?

Hahaha I am a real person. New to the message boards good to meet ya haha!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT