ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt not ranked again. #29 this week.

I wonder when the last time was a team in 1st place in the ACC(Or any power 5 conference) was unranked this late in the season?
and on a five game winning streak and near the top of the country for road wins....

I was hopeful Pitt would be ranked, but as long as they have a seed number next to their name in March that’s all that matters.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
TCU being ranked after losing 2 this week without Miles is egregious. Until he comes back, they are not a top 25 team.

watched a little bit of them against Baylor... wasn't very impressed. Again, they're missing their best player... but idk how you can watch them and then Pitt and think TCU is better.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Current AP top 25 Q1/Q2 wins and Q3/Q4 losses
1) 13 0 Bama
2) 12 1 Houston
3) 13 0 Purdue
4) 11 0 UCLA
5) 14 0 Kansas
6) 11 0 Texas
7) 9 0 Virginia
8) 11 1 Arizona
9) 11 0 Baylor
10) 8 0 Tenn
11) 8 1 Marquette
12) 9 0 KSU
13) 8 1 Gonzaga
14) 8 0 Indiana
15) 8 1 Miami
16) 11 1 Xavier
17) 8 2 St. Mary’s both quad 3
18) 8 1 Creighton
19) 9 0 Iowa State
20) 8 1 Uconn
21) 8 0 SDST
22) 8 1 TCU quad 4
23) 6 0 NCST
24) 5 1 Providence
25) 5 0 FAU
Others
NW 8 0
Illinois 7 0
Texas A&M 5 2 (both quad 4)
Mizz 8 0

So Pitt would be the only top 25 with a quad 3 and quad 4 loss. They do have 8 Q1/Q2 but debate really is if they should be 23-25. Could see both views.

Reactions: Drew1208
1) 13 0 Bama
2) 12 1 Houston
3) 13 0 Purdue
4) 11 0 UCLA
5) 14 0 Kansas
6) 11 0 Texas
7) 9 0 Virginia
8) 11 1 Arizona
9) 11 0 Baylor
10) 8 0 Tenn
11) 8 1 Marquette
12) 9 0 KSU
13) 8 1 Gonzaga
14) 8 0 Indiana
15) 8 1 Miami
16) 11 1 Xavier
18) 8 1 Creighton
19) 9 0 Iowa State
20) 8 1 Uconn
21) 8 0 SDST
22) 8 1 TCU quad 4
23) 6 0 NCST
24) 5 1 Providence
25) 5 0 FAU
Others
NW 8 0
Illinois 7 0
Mizz 8 0

So Pitt would be the only top 25 with a quad 3 and quad 4 loss. They do have 8 Q1/Q2 but debate really is if they should be 23-25. Could see both views.

The debate is what in the everloving F#@% a quad even has to do with anything. It's dumb and way too broad. Let the idiots who made it up choose from shoes sizes of 4, 8, 12, or 16 and then get back to me on why this is stupid.

Ridiculous.
Palm latest today has IU as a 4, Northwestern and Duke 7 and Pitt as a 9. Now way Indiana should be 5 seeds higher than Pitt. My concern is that perception becomes reality. And Pitt has 4 more Q3/Q4 games which just adds more pressure to not slipping up.

Last edited:
The debate is what in the everloving F#@% a quad even has to do with anything. It's dumb and way too broad. Let the idiots who made it up choose from shoes sizes of 4, 8, 12, or 16 and then get back to me on why this is stupid.
I agree but it suggests Pitt has worse losses than nearly all teams currently in the top 25, which could explain some stuff rather than it’s a conspiracy and people hate Pitt. Ironic Dixon is the only other team with a quad 4 loss. A lot of teams have at least 8 quad 1/2 wins. If they beat Vt that would be 9 and stronger argument for inclusion next week.

Palm latest today has IU as a 4, Northwestern and Duke 7 and Pitt as a 9

I feel like after FSU a lot of us thought, "That sucks, but we're probably still in." Then we go win the next five, to the surprise of pretty much everybody, and we're still only two seeds higher? That's nuts to me. I thought we had way more leeway than that, but I can't imagine where we would be had we lost any of those five.

People that say the stuff like the AP poll and the NET don’t matter when it comes to the selection committee and tournament time are just fooling themselves.

The NET is a factor and the human element has a bias toward perception whether they want it to or not. Pitt’s perception is still that they aren’t nearly as legitimate as they have proven that they are. The national perception severely lags behind the actual eyeball test.

All of that could be the difference in dropping Pitt 3-4 seed lines below where they should be. It matters.

Agree and very stupid. It's an equation so the media darlings get the benefit.

Reactions: bschulter
I agree but it suggests Pitt has worse losses than nearly all teams currently in the top 25, which could explain some stuff rather than it’s a conspiracy and people hate Pitt. Ironic Dixon is the only other team with a quad 4 loss. A lot of teams have at least 8 quad 1/2 wins. If they beat Vt that would be 9 and stronger argument for inclusion next week.

I hear you. But, like, RPI in and of itself is inevitably going to be imperfect. And now we're going to take those imperfect numbers and plug them into this random criteria we came up with. Like, why? Why does beating the first or worst team in a quad have to be weighted the same when we have the ability to rank the teams from 1 - 358?

Are they trying to incentivize better non-conference scheduling or something? Might as well not even play a Quad 4 team, if you can avoid it, if it can seemingly only hurt you. I keep seeing # of Quad 1/2 wins and # of Quad 3/4 losses without much reference of the inverse of either of those things.

When was the last time a team in 1st place in the ACC(Or any power 5 conference) was unranked this late in the season?
Last week - Clemson. The ACC is weak this year. Most voters are going to rely on NET ranking since they don’t follow teams as close as us fans.

I mentioned last week we did not have enough votes coming into this week to jump in to the top 25 by beating 2 bad teams this week. We are gaining votes but we play two bad teams again this week so we may not get in the top 25 next week either.

Having a loss in quad 3 and 4 is killing our perception. And a bad ACC is not helping.

We are two weeks away from entering the top 25. But we will need to win the next 4 games for that to happen.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
watched a little bit of them against Baylor... wasn't very impressed. Again, they're missing their best player... but idk how you can watch them and then Pitt and think TCU is better.
Because TCU plays in what the pundits consider to be the best conference. And once a team gets in the top 20 they seldomly drop more than a few spots if they lose. Especially when TCU lost to top teams in the top conference.

The only way you make a big leap is by beating a top 5 or top 10 team like Northwestern did.

Pitt’s perception was 14th in the ACC preseason. So they have to prove it to the voters. And now unfortunately our remaining opponents are not good so we will be lucky to be ranked 20th even if we win the rest of our regular season games.

Our tournament seed is going to based on how far we go in the ACC tournament. If we make the championship game we get a 4 or 5 seed. We win the tournament we get a 4 seed. We lose early and we are an 8 seed

Reactions: Drew1208
I hear you. But, like, RPI in and of itself is inevitably going to be imperfect. And now we're going to take those imperfect numbers and plug them into this random criteria we came up with. Like, why? Why does beating the first or worst team in a quad have to be weighted the same when we have the ability to rank the teams from 1 - 358?

Are they trying to incentivize better non-conference scheduling or something? Might as well not even play a Quad 4 team, if you can avoid it, if it can seemingly only hurt you. I keep seeing # of Quad 1/2 wins and # of Quad 3/4 losses without much reference of the inverse of either of those things.
Simple solution. Don’t lose to crappy teams like Florida St at home. It’s that simple. That loss is single handedly keeping Pitt out of the top 25. They dug the hole now they need to keep winning to convince the voters

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
1) 13 0 Bama
2) 12 1 Houston
3) 13 0 Purdue
4) 11 0 UCLA
5) 14 0 Kansas
6) 11 0 Texas
7) 9 0 Virginia
8) 11 1 Arizona
9) 11 0 Baylor
10) 8 0 Tenn
11) 8 1 Marquette
12) 9 0 KSU
13) 8 1 Gonzaga
14) 8 0 Indiana
15) 8 1 Miami
16) 11 1 Xavier
18) 8 1 Creighton
19) 9 0 Iowa State
20) 8 1 Uconn
21) 8 0 SDST
22) 8 1 TCU quad 4
23) 6 0 NCST
24) 5 1 Providence
25) 5 0 FAU
Others
NW 8 0
Illinois 7 0
Mizz 8 0

The AP and Coaches poll voters should not look at NET, which does not publish its formula and is focused on groupings of 25% for efficiency -- it is not a tool for comparing resumes. Voters should look at the eye test, trusted predictive models, and head to head results. They should somewhat consider recency as well though not at the expense of entirely ignoring early season resume. NET does not do those things.

Reactions: gary2
Simple solution. Don’t lose to crappy teams like Florida St at home. It’s that simple. That loss is single handedly keeping Pitt out of the top 25. They dug the hole now they need to keep winning to convince the voters

Okay, but is there not path to redemption? The team that just won the Super Bowl last night lost to the freaking Colts.

Pitt not being ranked and leading the ACC shows this poll and many more are garbage. Utter rubbish. In football, the playoffs are really determined within the first three weeks of polls. No matter how good you are, if you're not in the popularity contest from the start, you'll never make up enough ground to get in. It's a rigged beauty pageant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT