Pitt teams who have made Elite 8 in NCAA Tournaments

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Pitt basketball 1974
Pitt basketball 2009
Pitt volleyball 2021

Is that the list?

Pitt men's soccer will be favored to get there and Pitt baseball could be a darkhorse to get to the CWS (Round of 8).

Again, it is amazing to me how Pitt, a program that 10, hell maybe 5 years ago, had maybe the bottom 5 collection of Olympic Sports and now they are thriving. Yet, basketball has gone in the complete toilet, which should be the easiest to maintain.

not maybe. it was absolutely dead last in p5. and by a good margin.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
The NCAA wrestling championships are not set-up the same as the tournaments for other sports, but I noticed Pitt has a handful of top 8 team finishes at the championships (although all from 1970 or earlier).

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Again, it is amazing to me how Pitt, a program that 10, hell maybe 5 years ago, had maybe the bottom 5 collection of Olympic Sports and now they are thriving. Yet, basketball has gone in the complete toilet, which should be the easiest to maintain.

You just gave a simple,
but accurated explanation
of the importance of coaching.
These Olympic Sports that you
mentioned now have excellent
coaches who can both recruit
and get these recruits to perform
at a higher level.

You also mentioned basketball. I
do think that Capel can coach, but
so far the recruiting part of his job
as a head coach is in question. I'm
hoping he turn this around and
brings in some legitimate ACC
players, especilly bigs. We'll see.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
You just gave a simple,
at a higher level.

It shows that if you can recruit and you can coach, the name or location of the school matters very little. Pitt is not a destination location for volleyball and soccer players but look. There aren't any excuses. Either you can sell yourself to recruits/parents or you cant.

You just gave a simple,
at a higher level.

Those elite type of coaches are extremely hard to get though. Especially at places like Pitt. Let's enjoy what we got and hopefully continue to grow. I think this admin is very supportive too.

It shows that if you can recruit and you can coach, the name or location of the school matters very little. Pitt is not a destination location for volleyball and soccer players but look. There aren't any excuses. Either you can sell yourself to recruits/parents or you cant.
Why did Vinovich end up at Pitt? I mean he was a big time coach, like a Calipari or Coach K in soccer wasn't he?

Reactions: USN_Panther
Ive watched more Pitt baseball, volleyball, and soccer the past few months than I have in my entire lifetime.
same. ACCN is a good!
Why did Vinovich end up at Pitt? I mean he was a big time coach, like a Calipari or Coach K in soccer wasn't he?

he was at WF a long time. then tried his hand doing some professional work. didn't pan out. he wanted to build a program in the ACC. pitt was the only opening. lurch did one good thing and didn't screw it up.

2 in our history. then 2 in 2 months. amazing.
Actually it will be 21 days between the Pitt/Washington Elite 8 volleyball and soccer games.

Heather absolutely deserves credit for Fisher and Vidovich not leaving for greener pastures. But again, I dont want to make this a whole other thread but nobody cares about these sports.

LOL Lurch - we call him Baby Huey.
The best moves by Pitt AD's in decades literally just involved them answering the phone:

"Hi Steve. This is John Swofford, do you want to come to the ACC."

"Hi Scott, this is your old NCAAT Committee buddy, Ron Wellman, my man Jay Vidovich, the best coach in America wants back in the ACC and you're the only opening, can you hire him?"

The best moves by Pitt AD's in decades literally just involved them answering the phone:

"Hi Steve. This is John Swofford, do you want to come to the ACC."

"Hi Scott, this is your old NCAAT Committee buddy, Ron Wellman, my man Jay Vidovich, the best coach in America wants back in the ACC and you're the only opening, can you hire him?"
Do you really believe it was that simple for PITT to join the ACC?

Updated list

Pitt 🏀 1974
Pitt 🏀 2009
Pitt 🏐 2020 *** April 2021 due to Covid
Pitt ⚽️ 2020 *** May 2021 due to Covid
Pitt ⚽️ 2021
Pitt 🏐 2021

Reactions: johnsbe3
Updated list

Pitt 🏀 1974
Pitt 🏀 2009
Pitt 🏐 2020 *** April 2021 due to Covid
Pitt ⚽️ 2020 *** May 2021 due to Covid
Pitt ⚽️ 2021
Pitt 🏐 2021
Pitt ⚽️ 2022
Pitt 🏐 2022

Is there a reason why you continue to not list the basketball final four from 1941? Just because it happened a long time ago that doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

Reactions: doubleAA's
Pitt football won the national championship in 1918 with a 4 -1 record..

And we went 13-6 in basketball in 1941 and were somehow invited to an 8 team tournament. The NIT was the bigger tournament back then and basketball was 5 5'8 white guys in booty shorts. Sorry, it doesn't qualify for my post.

And we went 13-6 in basketball in 1941 and were somehow invited to an 8 team tournament. The NIT was the bigger tournament back then and basketball was 5 5'8 white guys in booty shorts. Sorry, it doesn't qualify for my post.
lol, yeah, sports were something else back then. probably best to leave those out of it for sure..

And the rules were so different. Wasn’t there a rule that only so many players could advance past half court?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT