ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Update

The only problem Pitt has at PG is if X gets injured . The freshman walk on , OE combined with Femi and Horton and even CAikens if needed will be able to give X a blow or fill in if he’s in foul trouble . Unless Femi isn’t an ACC level pg then a freshman pg is desperately needed in the next class .
My guess is that Schifino would reclassify to 2021 if X leaves after this upcoming season, so Pitt will be very solid at PG for at least a couple years

My guess is that Schifino would reclassify to 2021 if X leaves after this upcoming season, so Pitt will be very solid at PG for at least a couple years
I think the potential for Hood-Schifino to potentially class up might be some of the reason why we've barely been connected to any 2021 guards - except for Warley, who appears to have moved elsewhere.

I'm coming around on taking Trey Murphy and Jeffress if we can. I thought we have to get another ball handler to be safe next year. But the reality is we're not a tournament team next year, so building for 2 years out is smart.

There's also a non-zero chance that "next season" doesn't start until 2021.

I just can’t see X leaving early based on performance. He needs to improve sooo much to be an all ACC player let alone an NBA player . If he goes to the D league there’s no guarantee that he’d be the best pg on that team . Stay at Pitt and improve is my advise to X .

The only problem Pitt has at PG is if X gets injured . The freshman walk on , OE combined with Femi and Horton and even CAikens if needed will be able to give X a blow or fill in if he’s in foul trouble . Unless Femi isn’t an ACC level pg then a freshman pg is desperately needed in the next class .

The unmentioned player in this equation is Onye Ezeakudo. This guy
actually played and was effective last season until he was injured. The
times that he subbed for X, he proved he can play at this level as a
sub, as long as it's only for a few minutes at a time. He's not a scoring
threat, but he has a decent floor game and handle. More importantly
he did a decent job running the team from the point.
X is surely going to play 30+ minutes. 34 minutes is a good number IMO.
Anything more than that and he tires, I don't care what some posters say
about being young and in shape. If you ever played this game, you know what
I'm talking about. Anyway, three minutes or so per half can easily go to
Horton, Odukale, Onye, or any combination thereof.
With that said, I'd still like to see Capel bring in a grad transfer combo
guard who can shoot along with another big.

Last edited:
Pitt is building a program, not a specific team. Telling Murphy or Jeffress to go away so we can bring in a back up guard would be my idea of epic stupidity.
You can build a program while building a team. That means not being blinded because you can secure one player.

Toney plays, Champagnie plays, Jeffress sits or redshirts?,Murphy sits out?

Collier already recruited over? Hugley and Coulibaly see no time at the four.

Femi sees no time as a three? Drumgoole?

The following year they all play?

Nothing builds a program like team success. A team needs component parts to be successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: jctrack
You can build a program while building a team. That means not being blinded because you can secure one player.

Toney plays, Champagnie plays, Jeffress sits or redshirts?,Murphy sits out?

Collier already recruited over? Hugley and Coulibaly see no time at the four.

Femi sees no time as a three? Drumgoole?

The following year they all play?

Nothing builds a program like team success. A team needs component parts to be successful.
It seems like Murphy is being recruited by Pitt primarily as a guard, so I'm not sure what Jeffress, Hugley, or Coulibaly have to do with anything. There are plenty of minutes to go around in the backcourt.It'd be X, Femi, Horton, and Murphy in the backcourt whether Murphy is eligible this year or next year.

I'm not sure why adding a 6'8" 2-guard isn't building a complimentary team. A roster comprised of those four guys in the backcourt; Toney, Champagnie, Drumgoole, and Jeffress at the wing; and Collier, Hugley, Amadasun, Coulibaly, and Brown at forward is a pretty balanced, complimentary roster.

Pitt needs another guard. Not bringing in a guard who can handle the ball for this year would be epic stupidity.

Like Femi?

Bringing in another guard for the sake of doing so is a waste of a scholarship.

Well one scholarship is being reserved for Jeffress and we’re looking to add a shooter (almost certainly via transfer). I don’t think adding another big is anywhere on the radar for this class

It seems like Murphy is being recruited by Pitt primarily as a guard, so I'm not sure what Jeffress, Hugley, or Coulibaly have to do with anything. There are plenty of minutes to go around in the backcourt.It'd be X, Femi, Horton, and Murphy in the backcourt whether Murphy is eligible this year or next year.

I'm not sure why adding a 6'8" 2-guard isn't building a complimentary team. A roster comprised of those four guys in the backcourt; Toney, Champagnie, Drumgoole, and Jeffress at the wing; and Collier, Hugley, Amadasun, Coulibaly, and Brown at forward is a pretty balanced, complimentary roster.
If any scholarship player other than X can handle the ball, I agree with you.

Anyone remember the year Woodall got hurt?

X ever get in foul trouble? A loss or two due to that can cost post season. Another year without post season does not advance the program.

That's what they recruited Femi to do.
I am sure I am in the minority here. I consider the kid a player, but doubt he is a point guard. I am even more skeptical that he can handle being the primary backup as a frosh.

I want someone who has played. Experience wins.

Trey Murphy may have to sit a season, even if he doesn't, he is not the difference maker.

How many shots does he even get next season? I expect Justin and Horton to be 1-2 in shots with X third. If we didn't have Horton and Murphy was truly a two, sure, but we have Horton.

Last edited:
I am sure I am in the minority here. I consider the kid a player, but doubt he is a point guard. I am even more skeptical that he can handle being the primary backup as a frosh.

Trey Murphy may have to sit a season, even if he doesn't, he is not the difference maker.

How many shots does he even get next season? If we didn't have Horton and Murphy was truly a two, sure, but we have Horton.

X was able to handle being the starting PG as a freshman. I'd take Femi as backup over a bad senior transfer.

How many shots does he even get next season?
You're totally allowed to be skeptical of Femi's ability to be the backup point guard as a freshman. I personally think he can handle <10 mpg playing the point, but I don't think you're the only one who thinks that. I'm just saying that, based on everything that we've seen from the guys in the portal that the staff has been involved with and connected to, the staff seems to be planning for Femi to be the backup point guard in 2020 because they aren't involved with any of the point guards on the market outside of the 5 star kid from Canada, who is one of the best available recruits in the whole country for 2020. Even the kid from Dartmouth said that he was being recruited by Pitt primarily to be part of a rotation at the 2 guard, not really as a point guard.

We seem to be looking for shot-making guards for the non-Jeffress scholarship slot, and Murphy is the best of that bunch. He's not going to choose Pitt over UVA, Villanova, and Houston to not get shots; he's one of the best sit-out transfers on the market for a reason. If he's immediately eligible, I think he plays at least 20 minutes a game rotating in with Horton at the 2, and playing as the third guard in 3-guard sets alongside X and Horton.

How many shots does he even get next season? If we didn't have Horton and Murphy was truly a two, sure, but we have Horton.

If the staff is not recruiting a backup grad transfer point guard, as it now seems, then-- either they don't agree with those of us who see it as a major need; or, they aren't finding anyone good enough to fill that role who is interested in Pitt.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
If the staff is not recruiting a backup grad transfer point guard, as it now seems, then-- either they don't agree with those of us who see it as a major need; or, they aren't finding anyone good enough to fill that role who is interested in Pitt.
In my mind, the last three Pitt coaches under valued point guard depth.

They did that even leaving open scholarships.

You're totally allowed to be skeptical of Femi's ability to be the backup point guard as a freshman. I personally think he can handle <10 mpg playing the point, but I don't think you're the only one who thinks that. I'm just saying that, based on everything that we've seen from the guys in the portal that the staff has been involved with and connected to, the staff seems to be planning for Femi to be the backup point guard in 2020 because they aren't involved with any of the point guards on the market outside of the 5 star kid from Canada, who is one of the best available recruits in the whole country for 2020. Even the kid from Dartmouth said that he was being recruited by Pitt primarily to be part of a rotation at the 2 guard, not really as a point guard.

We seem to be looking for shot-making guards for the non-Jeffress scholarship slot, and Murphy is the best of that bunch. He's not going to choose Pitt over UVA, Villanova, and Houston to not get shots; he's one of the best sit-out transfers on the market for a reason. If he's immediately eligible, I think he plays at least 20 minutes a game rotating in with Horton at the 2, and playing as the third guard in 3-guard sets alongside X and Horton.
It’s possible that they are comfortable with Horton backing up point.

I think Horton and Femi are more than Capable.
I watched like 8 or so Horton Full games.
He played a decent amount at pg. Ya just pass the ball and get into an offense.
Femi is a past 1st type of guy, especially a pass down court quick type of player.
They just don't look to dribble around, which is actually a good thing.
In an offense the pg doesn't even have to handle the ball that much if you design it that way.
Murphy can play 2 through 4, it be nice to get a tall shooter.

Reactions: Tonyt66
I have been higher on the walk on than most.

There was a play before he got hurt that changed my mind. There was a steal and he had a breakaway with a huge lead. He did not convert. You can't be on the court if you don't make that play.

In my mind, the last three Pitt coaches under valued point guard depth.

They did that even leaving open scholarships.
In defense of JD no one was coming in here to sit behind JRob for three yrs . Newkirt and Wilson just weren’t very good .

I have been higher on the walk on than most.

There was a play before he got hurt that changed my mind. There was a steal and he had a breakaway with a huge lead. He did not convert. You can't be on the court if you don't make that play.

I might be off in my memory, but wasn't that the play he was injured?
Either way, I can see him with two minutes per half. That alone gets X to
36 minutes. Throw in Horton or Odukale for a few minutes more and X is
seeing realistic minutes that won't wear him down.

[
Well one scholarship is being reserved for Jeffress and we’re looking to add a shooter (almost certainly via transfer). I don’t think adding another big is anywhere on the radar for this class

Yeah, you're probably right. I was just giving my preference. Not
suggesting I had any inside info.

How many shots does he even get next season? I expect Justin and Horton to be 1-2 in shots with X third. If we didn't have Horton and Murphy was truly a two, sure, but we have Horton.

So you're skeptical of Femi playing point, despite the fact that his recruiting took off the moment he started playing the point? Exactly what skills do you think he lacks?

X is going to play between 32 and 34 minutes per game in all likelihood. That's not a lack of depth issue, that's the usage you'd expect from a player of X's calibre no matter where he plays. Femi, Horton (categorically not a 1, but he can give you a couple of minutes in a pinch) and Ezeakudo can easily cover the rest.

There is absolutely no value in dumpster diving for someone just so you have another point guard in case X gets hurt. The point guard you bring in would have to be an equivalent calibre of prospect to Jeffress/Murphy and I think you'll find that such a player does not exist.

I might be off in my memory, but wasn't that the play he was injured?
Either way, I can see him with two minutes per half. That alone gets X to
36 minutes. Throw in Horton or Odukale for a few minutes more and X is
seeing realistic minutes that won't wear him down.
I believe you are right about that play.

IMO if Murphy is able to play this yr that gives us the 4 guard rotation we want and the walk on doesn't even see the floor unless X gets hurt or in early foul trouble and Femi is not effective. He only played this year because we only have three guards other than that he wasn't going to the floor.
IMO if we get Jeffress and Murphy and he gets the waiver I think we can be a bubble team and make the tournament and my early prediction would be 20 + wins.

Reactions: jctrack and below0w

If the new Trey can shoot 40% from 3, he will get all the shots he can take.

IMO if Murphy is able to play this yr that gives us the 4 guard rotation we want and the walk on doesn't even see the floor unless X gets hurt or in early foul trouble and Femi is not effective. He only played this year because we only have three guards other than that he wasn't going to the floor.
IMO if we get Jeffress and Murphy and he gets the waiver I think we can be a bubble team and make the tournament and my early prediction would be 20 + wins.

Of course he won't "see the floor" if what you say happens and we end
up with four guards to rotate back there. However what we have right
now is X, Horton, and Femi Odukale. We ran into a numbers problem
last season at guard with injuries and a limited number of guards.
Murphy, Trey, and X... not enough bodies. Murphy got hurt, and
Drumgoole returned but proved ineffective. So the walk on (Onye)
got some floor time. All I'm saying is he did pretty darn well for a
walk on. Right now we have three guards, plus Drumgoole who is
IMO a small forward and not a guard. You mentioned Murphy. As I
understand it he won't be eligible this year, so we'd be right back where
we were with three guards.
This is why I'd like to see a grad transfer combo guard added to the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: gary2
If the new Trey can shoot 40% from 3, he will get all the shots he can take.
I respect your opinion.

You don't think we need an experienced back up point? Someone that runs offense, not plays offense. Someone that is a different look from X.

I totally agree with you if Murphy doesn't get a waiver. This is just my opinion no inside info but with a record 420+ in the portal and the vote for a 1 time transfer w/o sitting coming up and if they don't pass it for 2020 I think they will give out a lot of waivers because they wouldn't want those players sitting out not playing anywhere because most won't be able to go back to their teams. IMO
Of course he won't "see the floor" if what you say happens and we end
up with four guards to rotate back there. However what we have right
now is X, Horton, and Femi Odukale. We ran into a numbers problem
last season at guard with injuries and a limited number of guards.
Murphy, Trey, and X... not enough bodies. Murphy got hurt, and
Drumgoole returned but proved ineffective. So the walk on (Onye)
got some floor time. All I'm saying is he did pretty darn well for a
walk on. Right now we have three guards, plus Drumgoole who is
IMO a small forward and not a guard. You mentioned Murphy. As I
understand it he won't be eligible this year, so we'd be right back where
we were with three guards.
This is why I'd like to see a grad transfer combo guard added to the team.

I respect your opinion.

You don't think we need an experienced back up point? Someone that runs offense, not plays offense. Someone that is a different look from X.

What experienced point guard would want to come here and play <10 minutes per game? You want a competent, experienced point guard, but with the dearth of minutes available you're not going to get that. Experienced, but not good or good, but not experienced. Those are your realistic choices. The former is unappealing and we already recruited the latter in Femi.

Furthermore, I don't think you realize just how hard it is to find a "true" point guard nowadays. I assume that's what you mean when you say you want someone different from X who "runs offense, not plays offense". I'll ignore that you're low key disrespecting X's ability with that and just point out how incredibly rare that kind of player is in today's game. TJ McConnell went from Duquesne to Arizona to the NBA despite having a number of significant limitations. That's the market scarcity for guys who can run an offense in the manner that you seem to be envisioning.

Kyle Cuffe Jr. Out of Brooklyn, NY 2022 SG
Blessed to receive an offer from the University of Pittsburgh. I would like to thank Coach Jeff Capel and the coaching staff! #zooEra #gopathers https://t.co/ac0xUOLgpV

What do you think of him? He's only 6'2 right now!

I totally agree with you if Murphy doesn't get a waiver. This is just my opinion no inside info but with a record 420+ in the portal and the vote for a 1 time transfer w/o sitting coming up and if they don't pass it for 2020 I think they will give out a lot of waivers because they wouldn't want those players sitting out not playing anywhere because most won't be able to go back to their teams. IMO

If there were any way Capel could know about waivers and eligibility, it
would really help in the recruitment of Murphy. However no matter what,
we need another guard for this coming year. I see this as more important
than another big or for that matter any of our other recruits we're
waiting on.

You do know that he's a SG he just grew 3' in his first 2 yrs of college but he still has the same skills but he's just longer now.
If there were any way Capel could know about waivers and eligibility, it
would really help in the recruitment of Murphy. However no matter what,
we need another guard for this coming year. I see this as more important
than another big or for that matter any of our other recruits we're
waiting on.

What experienced point guard would want to come here and play <10 minutes per game? You want a competent, experienced point guard, but with the dearth of minutes available you're not going to get that. Experienced, but not good or good, but not experienced. Those are your realistic choices. The former is unappealing and we already recruited the latter in Femi.

Furthermore, I don't think you realize just how hard it is to find a "true" point guard nowadays. I assume that's what you mean when you say you want someone different from X who "runs offense, not plays offense". I'll ignore that you're low key disrespecting X's ability with that and just point out how incredibly rare that kind of player is in today's game. TJ McConnell went from Duquesne to Arizona to the NBA despite having a number of significant limitations. That's the market scarcity for guys who can run an offense in the manner that you seem to be envisioning.
A good grad transfer can get the 24 mpg that Murphy was getting pre-injury.

You think Femi gets that time? I don't.

The play offense rather than run offense was a direct quote from our Head Coach. Maybe he has learned you might want the option of doing both.

You do know that he's a SG he just grew 3' in his first 2 yrs of college but he still has the same skills but he's just longer now.

Yeah, he's 6'8" and an outside threat. He's viewed as a guard though, so
I have no problem with him being added to our backcourt numbers.
Again, the question remains about eligibility. If we do get him and he's
not eligible, then we once again need another guard for the upcoming
season.

Reactions: Tonyt66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT