ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt v NC State Results

Define “the correct way”. I think some French people may have some issues with the Western PA bastardization of DuBois and Versailles...
They are both located in W Pa so in this instance the W Pa way.

Losing was expected but this was bad.... disappointed still in wrestling with this program. Individuals are there but program still far from where it should be.

Reactions: jctrack
Can anyone discuss Pitt's S&C program? Almost every NC St wrestler looks to be in superior shape by the eye test than Pitt's wrestlers.

Reactions: TFBaum and jctrack
NC St. wrestlers look really big and definitely are strong. We got out muscled in many matches especially Nino. That was a freshman in his first ACC match who beat Nino!

Reactions: lucac and jctrack
The only good thing about this match was that NC State has six 5th year seniors in their lineup. Of course, with the new rule all 6 could return next year but assuming they don’t, they will be losing a lot.

The bad thing is that they also had 3 freshmen in their lineup and they are all really good. And, in the earlier match I saw them in, they had two other freshmen wrestle who were very good as well.

What almost everyone is noticing about them appearing so much stronger than the Pitt wrestlers was pretty apparent. I used to think Hidley was a freak of nature; with that haircut he looks like Shoop from Vision Quest. But, Short looks like a slightly smaller version of Hidley. And, they clearly are exceptional on top. That has to be coaching. Even in the two matches we won, they were good in top.

I think Wentzel’s loss at 165 took all the fight out of the team. Harvey wrestles on emotion and he perhaps gave the worst effort I have seen from him. Nino was terrible. He had a problem with that guy’s height, but if he is going to wrestle at 197 he needs to be prepared to wrestle tall guys and strong guys. Last year, he couldn’t handle the younger Hidley brother; this year, he got beaten by a true freshman making his debut.

The only good thing about this match was that NC State has six 5th year seniors in their lineup. Of course, with the new rule all 6 could return next year but assuming they don’t, they will be losing a lot.

The bad thing is that they also had 3 freshmen in their lineup and they are all really good. And, in the earlier match I saw them in, they had two other freshmen wrestle who were very good as well.

What almost everyone is noticing about them appearing so much stronger than the Pitt wrestlers was pretty apparent. I used to think Hidley was a freak of nature; with that haircut he looks like Shoop from Vision Quest. But, Short looks like a slightly smaller version of Hidley. And, they clearly are exceptional on top. That has to be coaching. Even in the two matches we won, they were good in top.

I think Wentzel’s loss at 165 took all the fight out of the team. Harvey wrestles on emotion and he perhaps gave the worst effort I have seen from him. Nino was terrible. He had a problem with that guy’s height, but if he is going to wrestle at 197 he needs to be prepared to wrestle tall guys and strong guys. Last year, he couldn’t handle the younger Hidley brother; this year, he got beaten by a true freshman making his debut.
I thought Nino was better at the lower weight. I'm not a wrestler, so can someone explain why a wrestler who is successful at a weight would move up a weight class? I assume that it has to do with the rest of the team, but why not have a different wrestler move up? And I agree that Pitt looks to lack strength in comparison to most of their opponents, not just NC St. What is the S&C program like?

I thought Nino was better at the lower weight. I'm not a wrestler, so can someone explain why a wrestler who is successful at a weight would move up a weight class? I assume that it has to do with the rest of the team, but why not have a different wrestler move up? And I agree that Pitt looks to lack strength in comparison to most of their opponents, not just NC St. What is the S&C program like?
Another non wrestler here.

Pitt looked to lack the quickness or the energy and stamina of most of the NC ST wrestlers.

in my estimate, that was the problem more than strength. Pitt seemed slow and plodding to me.

strong maybe, but not terribly athletic.

Wrestling is often about styles.. Cooley beat that Trumble kid at the Junior Nats in Nov, although FS is different, and in last night’s extra matches Cooley lost to Reenan 8-5/9-5 (couldn’t see the score board).. Last time Nino faced Reenan, Nino majored him. Probably why NC state gave the freshman a shot in the duel

he’s going to lose to a guy who didn’t take one offensive shot

nino like this at Oklahoma State. He’s not good when we aren’t wrestling well as a team.

Wrestling is often about styles.. Cooley beat that Trumble kid at the Junior Nats in Nov, although FS is different, and in last night’s extra matches Cooley lost to Reenan 8-5/9-5 (couldn’t see the score board).. Last time Nino faced Reenan, Nino majored him. Probably why NC state gave the freshman a shot in the duel
Reenan has always been vastly overrated. I bet Trumble straight up beat him out. His takedown defense was impressive. If that match taught us anything, its that Nino needs to develop an alternate attack against guys like Trumble who can defend finishes so well. Something as simple as a snap and spin would be useful to him.

As far as the difference between the teams, NC St certainly seemed bigger than Pitt. Reminded me quite a bit of OK St, which isn't surprising considering thats where Pat P came from. John Smith seems big on large weight cuts and it seems that Pat P is the same way. Trombley looked giant compared to Philippi. So did Trumble compared to Nino.

Where NC St won that match was on top though. The Bullards were nasty. Trumble was impressive as was Wilson at Hwt. Tariq Wilson even managed riding time against Matthews. It really was a big factor in the final result

I don’t believe Reenan lost the starting spot, I think if the dual was close, he would have been in there.

But agree that NC must spend a lot of time working on top position.

Reactions: singregardless
I don’t believe Reenan lost the starting spot, I think if the dual was close, he would have been in there.

But agree that NC must spend a lot of time working on top position.
Maybe so, but if Trumble can beat Nino, why couldn't he beat Reenan too?

Maybe so, but if Trumble can beat Nino, why couldn't he beat Reenan too?
Assuming Reenan can get the takedowns on Trumble the same way Cooley did, with hand fighting, upper body..Trumble just stayed low when in neutral waiting for Nino to shoot on his legs and then stuffed the head. Just my opinion watching those 2 matches. I could be competely wrong, but all can gather from Trumble / Nino match is, Trumble can fight off a straight leg attack and is good on top.

Reactions: bwh05 and jctrack
They were very likely hiding Reenan for the ACC tournament since they had the dual in hand, which makes the loss that much harder to take. Virginia did this with DeCamillo against Forys back in the day.

Nino beat Reenan twice last year, but remember Reenan had a torn ACL and if you remember last year, it showed. The guy was essentially wrestling with one leg.

Did anyone see any All-Americans last night in Blue & Gold? I didn't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT