ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt volleyball

Dointhatrag

Sophomore
Sep 3, 2017
ends up with a 6th seed for the tournament. despite being ranked second in be nation. Hosts first two rounds, likely plays penn st (11 seed) in third round at Stanford ( ranked 3rd)

ends up with a 6th seed for the tournament. despite being ranked second in be nation. Hosts first two rounds, likely plays penn st (11 seed) in third round at Stanford ( ranked 3rd)

I don't know what seed they should have gotten but I do know their ranking is meaningless. The reality is that Pitt plays in a weak volleyball conference. They need to go out and play more Big Ten, Big 12, and western teams. I think they did that to an extent this year but probably not enough.

I don't know what seed they should have gotten but I do know their ranking is meaningless. The reality is that Pitt plays in a weak volleyball conference. They need to go out and play more Big Ten, Big 12, and western teams. I think they did that to an extent this year but probably not enough.
Should have been higher.
Played Ohio State and PSU (twice), Pepperdine, Utah, Cal Poly (last 3 in California), and Oregon. That's a robust out of conference schedule.

Pitt got jobbed, as usual. However, Pitt can shut everyone up and beat Penn State when they face off.

Just keep in mind that it's like Boise State going up against Bama.

Reactions: singregardless
Are you for cupcake schedules or not? Make up your mind.

Should have been higher.
Played Ohio State and PSU (twice), Pepperdine, Utah, Cal Poly (last 3 in California), and Oregon. That's a robust out of conference schedule.

Ohio State finished 15-17. Oregon finished 9-20. Neither of those were tough matches, although everyone expected Oregon to be good. Pepperdine wasn't particularly good this season either.

I think what the committee is saying, without actually saying it, is that if you want a top seed you have to play other top level teams, even if you lose to them. Which doesn't make much sense, but they are saying that losing to Nebraska, for instance, is better than beating Utah, because Nebraska is better than Utah.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Ohio State finished 15-17. Oregon finished 9-20. Neither of those were tough matches, although everyone expected Oregon to be good. Pepperdine wasn't particularly good this season either.

I think what the committee is saying, without actually saying it, is that if you want a top seed you have to play other top level teams, even if you lose to them. Which doesn't make much sense, but they are saying that losing to Nebraska, for instance, is better than beating Utah, because Nebraska is better than Utah.
So Wisconsin played 1-2 more top 50 RPI games than Pitt did. And they LOST them. So your point is well taken.

People like to say stuff like that, and it's so obviously wrong it's hard to respond to.

its hard to respond to because it’s true. If you’re a top 6 team and you’re goal is to win it all you’ll be playing really good teams eventually. So what does it matter if you play a better team a round early ? You will have to beat some really good teams to win it all eventually anyway

Why ignore Penn State? Isn't the Big 14 a VB power? Going to Cali and sweeping ain't bad.
Win and it won't matter, but 6 is a low seed for either the number 2 or number 4 team.
Hope they use it as motivation.

its hard to respond to because it’s true. If you’re a top 6 team and you’re goal is to win it all you’ll be playing really good teams eventually. So what does it matter if you play a better team a round early ? You will have to beat some really good teams to win it all eventually anyway
Home court advantage....that's the difference in seeding.

It's fine though, I hope the ladies use this as motivation to prove the committee wrong.

Reactions: Saboteur

Right. So this year in the NCAA basketball tournament Louisville is going to play Michigan in the first round, and then Duke in the second round, and then if they keep winning they'll get Virginia next, and then Michigan State. That will get them to the Final Four, where they can play North Carolina and Kentucky to win the championship. Because after all, if your goal is to win the championship seeding doesn't matter.

Here's why seeding matters (and who would have ever thought that you'd have to explain it?). If Pitt got the four seed like everyone expected then they might have still manipulated the bracket so that Pitt and Penn State still played in the third round, but then rather than that game being played at Stanford that game would be played at Pitt. Do you not understand why that would be an advantage to Pitt? Then in the Elite Eight Pitt would have gotten (assumedly) Wisconsin, again at home, rather than Stanford at Stanford. Do you not understand why that would be an advantage to Pitt? Which path is more likely for Pitt to make it to the Final Four, and ultimately to win the championship, Penn State on a neutral court followed by Stanford on the road or Penn State and then Wisconsin at home?

I mean seriously, it's so obvious why seeding matter that I can't imagine how anyone with even half a brain argues otherwise, and yet we see statements like yours all the time.

In a discussion of teams that you mentioned that weren't actually any good, yeah. I mean would it make you feel better if I pretended that Penn State wasn't any good too? I assumed that we would all agree that Penn State wasn't a bad team, like for instance Oregon turned out to be, or thoroughly mediocre, like Ohio State and Pepperdine ended up. But maybe I was wrong.

OK, for the sake of completeness, Penn State is really good. Utah is good, but a step behind someone like Penn State. Cincinnati and Cal Poly are also pretty good, but another step down from Utah. Ohio State, Pepperdine, South Carolina and Green Bay are nothing special. Not bad by any stretch, but all teams that top ten teams expect to beat pretty easily and it's a big upset when they don't. And Oregon, Duquesne and Cleveland State are varying degrees of bad.

Happy?

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I guess I will say something else.if you followed pitt volleyball you would know that the Pete isn’t really their home.so yes they were playing at home,but really not.

Who are they playing in the 3rd round? I guess everyone moaning about their seed will have to shut up now. Still a great season by the ladies. Congrats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT