ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs Illinois Sunday at 6PM

wrestlingfan22

Scholarship
Dec 11, 2022
We host our first home dual meet of the season this Sunday vs the Fighting Illini, this was a dual we won in dominant fashion last year. That is a possibility this year, but there also should be many good/close matches.

Last year they had a few guys out of the lineup. I agree however we should dominate them. Outside of 174. I think we could win every match if we really bring our A game. More likely we drop two more matches. I see the score in the ballpark of 24-9.

Top matches I’m looking forward to…133, 141, 149, 157 and 197.

Preview:
This dual is not as good as it could be unfortunately, due to Byrd (133), and the Braunagel twins (165&197) taking redshirts this season. Byrd taking a medical and the twins taking Olympic. But it should still have some great matchups.

125: Camacho vs Cardani
Cardani is a 6th year senior who sat out last season but was a NCAA qualifier in 2022. He is 2-2 so far this year, including a win against the Navy 125 that Camacho lost too. Much like any other Camacho matchup this is a tossup that could go either way. Toss-Up.

133: Vin vs Madrigal
This is a matchup that is very intriguing to me. Madrigal is an Oklahoma transfer in his 6th season, who redshirted last season, but was a 2x NCAA qualifier with some quality wins in his career. Based on rankings Vin is the big favorite but Madrigal has shown an knack for keeping matches close throughout his career, combined with the veteran experience he has that make me want to call this a toss up match. However Madrigal has only gone in 1 dual, if their other 133 Cole Bower goes I would have Vin as the comfortable favorite. Toss-Up.

141: Matthews vs Pucino
Matthews won this match last year 4-2. Pucino DNQ for NCAA last year but had some nice wins including a pin of NCAA 7th Place Parker Filius and a decision over Kal Miller (who just majored Matthews). I trust in Cole and give him the favorite but it will likely be a close match. Pitt Favored.

149: Solomon vs Webster/Harrier
Webster has started the last 3 Illinois duals, but due to his true freshman status there is a chance they try to preserve his 5 dates and don't send him here. I expect him to go however, as he is their best option at the weight and seems to be at an NCAA qualifier level already based on his win over UNC starter Jayden Scott. If Harrier does end up going I would expect Solomon to win by bonus. On the assumption that Webster goes: Toss up.

157: Keslar vs Roberts
Roberts missed most of last season, but has started off well this year. He beat Ley from Navy (who beat Keslar earlier this year) and 3x NCAA Qualifier Lovett from CMU. I have this match still as a toss up, in part due to Keslar's impressive win against Blaze from Purdue. It should be a battle for Keslar. There is a chance Scoles wrestles as one of his 5 dates, and due to his high recruit status I would also classify this match as a toss up. Keslar can make some progress towards qualifying with a win here. Toss up.

In the first half I have 4 toss ups and 1 Pitt favored match. I would hope we go at least 3-2 to start of this match but pretty much any result from these first 5 would not surprise me.

165: Heller vs Illinois 165
Illinois has 3 options they have used in duals at 165 and Heller is the favorite over all of them. Luke Odom started the year as the starter but hasn't wrestled since 11-04. The last two duals were manned by Chris Moore and Caden Ernd who both went 1-0. They are also both former 174's/ were formerly listed at 174. Odom used to be a 157, and wrestled in this dual last year getting pinned by Cheese. Pitt favored.

174: Luca vs Ruth
Ruth is ranked 4th in the country currently by Intermat compared to Luca who is ranked 20th. He is the favorite, as he went 2-0 against Luca last year, but considering both were 1 takedown matches and the one in the dual even went to SV makes me think this is a possible upset for Pitt. A win here really would cement Luca as an AA contender. Illinois favorited

184: Heller vs Connell
Heller went 2-0 against Connell last season, winning 8-1 in the dual and 2-0 in SV at Midlands. Because of that he is the favorite, but overall they are very similar. Connell is 2-2 this season, losing to Kane from UNC in a close match and getting pinned by Key from Navy (Who also pinned Reece). This is far from a lock but Reece hopefully gets the job done. Pitt favored

197: Stout vs Pettigrew
Pettigrew has started all duals for Illinois this season. He lost 14-13 to the Navy 197 that Stout beat 4-1. His other loss came in SV 8-5 to the UNC starter. Stout is the favorite and if he can put up some points it will be a good bounce back from last weekend, but Pettigrew appears to be someone unafraid to see points go on the board so it could be an interesting matchup. Pitt Favored

HWT: Dayton vs Luffman
Luffman sat out last season but went 1-2 at his last NCAAs. He is a 2x NCAA qualifier who has some high quality wins in his career. This season he has looked good, with a very impressive major decision over the heavyweight from Navy that beat Pitzer earlier this year. He is currently ranked 8th in the country by Intermat. I believe that this is still a tossup as I think Pitzer is just now adjusting to wrestling with his new frame, but it will be a good measuring stick to see just how high our expectations for him should be. Toss up

In the second half I have Pitt favored in 3 matches, Illinois favored in 1, and 1 toss up. This second half gives us good insurance from a possible poor start, but it could be a statement end to a dominant win.

Overall I have it 4 Pitt favored, 1 Illinois favored and 5 toss ups. This is a dual we are favored in and could even end up dominating in, but it is not impossible for this to be similar to the Maryland dual and come down to the final match

Last edited:
Preview:
This dual is not as good as it could be unfortunately, due to Byrd (133), and the Braunagel twins (165&197) taking redshirts this season. Byrd taking a medical and the twins taking Olympic. But it should still have some great matchups.

Cardani is a 6th year senior who sat out last season but was a NCAA qualifier in 2022. He is 2-2 so far this year, including a win against the Navy 125 that Camacho lost too. Much like any other Camacho matchup this is a tossup that could go either way. Toss-Up.

This is a matchup that is very intriguing to me. Madrigal is an Oklahoma transfer in his 6th season, who redshirted last season, but was a 2x NCAA qualifier with some quality wins in his career. Based on rankings Vin is the big favorite but Madrigal has shown an knack for keeping matches close throughout his career, combined with the veteran experience he has that make me want to call this a toss up match. However Madrigal has only gone in 1 dual, if their other 133 Cole Bower goes I would have Vin as the comfortable favorite. Toss-Up.

Matthews won this match last year 4-2. Pucino DNQ for NCAA last year but had some nice wins including a pin of NCAA 7th Place Parker Filius and a decision over Kal Miller (who just majored Matthews). I trust in Cole and give him the favorite but it will likely be a close match. Pitt Favored.

Webster has started the last 3 Illinois duals, but due to his true freshman status there is a chance they try to preserve his 5 dates and don't send him here. I expect him to go however, as he is their best option at the weight and seems to be at an NCAA qualifier level already based on his win over UNC starter Jayden Scott. If Harrier does end up going I would expect Solomon to win by bonus. On the assumption that Webster goes: Toss up.

Roberts missed most of last season, but has started off well this year. He beat Ley from Navy (who beat Keslar earlier this year) and 3x NCAA Qualifier Lovett from CMU. I have this match still as a toss up, in part due to Keslar's impressive win against Blaze from Purdue. It should be a battle for Keslar. There is a chance Scoles wrestles as one of his 5 dates, and due to his high recruit status I would also classify this match as a toss up. Keslar can make some progress towards qualifying with a win here. Toss up.

In the first half I have 4 toss ups and 1 Pitt favored match. I would hope we go at least 3-2 to start of this match but pretty much any result from these first 5 would not surprise me.

Illinois has 3 options they have used in duals at 165 and Heller is the favorite over all of them. Luke Odom started the year as the starter but hasn't wrestled since 11-04. The last two duals were manned by Chris Moore and Caden Ernd who both went 1-0. They are also both former 174's/ were formerly listed at 174. Odom used to be a 157, and wrestled in this dual last year getting pinned by Cheese. Pitt favored.

Ruth is ranked 4th in the country currently by Intermat compared to Luca who is ranked 20th. He is the favorite, as he went 2-0 against Luca last year, but considering both were 1 takedown matches and the one in the dual even went to SV makes me think this is a possible upset for Pitt. A win here really would cement Luca as an AA contender. Illinois favorited

Heller went 2-0 against Connell last season, winning 8-1 in the dual and 2-0 in SV at Midlands. Because of that he is the favorite, but overall they are very similar. Connell is 2-2 this season, losing to Kane from UNC in a close match and getting pinned by Key from Navy (Who also pinned Reece). This is far from a lock but Reece hopefully gets the job done. Pitt favored

Pettigrew has started all duals for Illinois this season. He lost 14-13 to the Navy 197 that Stout beat 4-1. His other loss came in SV 8-5 to the UNC starter. Stout is the favorite and if he can put up some points it will be a good bounce back from last weekend, but Pettigrew appears to be someone unafraid to see points go on the board so it could be an interesting matchup. Pitt Favored

Luffman sat out last season but went 1-2 at his last NCAAs. He is a 2x NCAA qualifier who has some high quality wins in his career. This season he has looked good, with a very impressive major decision over the heavyweight from Navy that beat Pitzer earlier this year. He is currently ranked 8th in the country by Intermat. I believe that this is still a tossup as I think Pitzer is just now adjusting to wrestling with his new frame, but it will be a good measuring stick to see just how high our expectations for him should be. Toss up

In the second half I have Pitt favored in 3 matches, Illinois favored in 1, and 1 toss up. This second half gives us good insurance from a possible poor start, but it could be a statement end to a dominant win.

Overall I have it 4 Pitt favored, 1 Illinois favored and 5 toss ups. This is a dual we are favored in and could even end up dominating in, but it is not impossible for this to be similar to the Maryland dual and come down to the final match
Great recap. Appreciate all your insight.

Preview:

Luffman sat out last season but went 1-2 at his last NCAAs. He is a 2x NCAA qualifier who has some high quality wins in his career. This season he has looked good, with a very impressive major decision over the heavyweight from Navy that beat Pitzer earlier this year. He is currently ranked 8th in the country by Intermat. I believe that this is still a tossup as I think Pitzer is just now
This was a great write up. I think this is going to be closer than a lot of want it to be. If Cole and Dayton wrestle well I like our chances. H2P

Reactions: bwh05 and jctrack
Takedown Ruth with 30 seconds left. Luca escapes. 8-5

Another takedown in the closing seconds for Ruth. Looked like that first takedown by Luca pissed Ruth off lol. 11-5 win for Ruth

3-1 Reece after 1. His opponent is wrestling up 2 weights

Stout takes down in the second and gets a reversal. 5-0

5-0 going to the third. Stout with a decade of riding time

Stout gets beat on a straight double leg and gives up the three. 5-4 Stout with under a min to go

Stout holds on for the 5-4 win. Went from looking for the major to barely hanging on. Stout's shot defense leaves a lot to be desired. He is definitely not a scrambler. Thats his Achilles heel at this point

Pitzer hit with locking hands at the end of the second then Luffman escapes at the end of the period. 2-0 Luffman

Luffman about to erase the ride time now. Pitzer has to do something. That locked hands was huge.

Escape Pitzer. 2-1 Luffman

Vince gives up the early takedown but gets a locked hand point on a challenge from HCKG.

Vince takes down and gets the reversal to tie it at three, then Madrigal ends up hurt. Vince takes down off injury choice and gets another reversal for a 5-3 lead. Solid work from Vince from bottom

Lol Cole gives up a takedown on another low double. Escape Cole. 3-2 Pucino

Solomon following up Matthews' gem with one of his own. Gives up 3 quickly then gets tilted for 4 back points. 7-0 Webster

There we go. Solomon with a sneaky takedown as time expires in the first. 7-4 Webster

Reactions: Chaos
Escape and takedown to start the second for Solomon. He takes the 8-7 lead

Reactions: Chaos
Reversal for Webster for a 9-8 lead. Currently a review for an escape for loss of control. Should get the point I think

Reactions: kyfra
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT