ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs VT game thread

Wow. What an unbelievable beat down by a terrible Va Tech team. We scored 14 offensive points. Are you freakin kidding me? This is 2023. Worse yet, our defense was equally horrible. There was literally no aspect of this game that we played well.

I thought we'd be around 7-5 (maybe 6-6 at worst). Looking at the rest of the schedule we'll be lucky to win 3 games.

How can this program be this bad after 9 years?

Cruzer

Narduzzi says “It’s not just on one guy.” BS

It is on one guy - PN… for refusing to try to understand the offensive side of the ball his entire time as a HC at Pitt. His cluelessness has lead to him making so many bad decisions with his OCs.

Yes, Jurkovec is just awful with his accuracy, decision making and clock management, but it is Narduzzi who hired Cignetti and brought in Phil -cluelessly believing Phil would be amazing when it was clear he has been very mediocre most of his college career.

Bartholomew

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It's Tim Hasselbeck. He's a BC guy. Probably has a lot of connections there still and doesn't want to be overly harsh on their castaways. I have to believe he's now a huge Pitt fan for us taking them off of their hands, actually.
Hasselbeck was very critical of the QB NOT staying in the pocket. Time after time .

Wow. What an unbelievable beat down by a terrible Va Tech team. We scored 14 offensive points. Are you freakin kidding me? This is 2023. Worse yet, our defense was equally horrible. There was literally no aspect of this game that we played well.

I thought we'd be around 7-5 (maybe 6-6 at worst). Looking at the rest of the schedule we'll be lucky to win 3 games.

How can this program be this bad after 9 years?

Cruzer
How can it be this bad after 10 MONTHS?

Narduzzi: "Phil was under pressure the entire game. ... I still feel that he's the guy back there making the play."

And he was correct. Phil’s lack of pocket presence is very weird for a guy who has been playing the position for as long as he has.
Thing that is weird is didn’t this guy make his hay of being an RPO guy in high school? He never COULD throw worth a dam but he did other things well, like decisions to hand off or take off or (rare occasions) drop back and pass. But the latter was seemingly always the last option. He is kind of fat now and slower but why isn’t he being used for his strengths? Why did anyone, ND, BC, or ourselves, try to make him a pocket passer? I can get he went to ND because it was his “dream” school regardless of how they play, but why didn’t he then transfer to a school that would use him properly? So there are a LOT of individuals who screwed this guy up (including himself).

You guys might not win another game? Sorry this is happening to you all. Not really but whatever you do hang onto your Head Coach.

Thing that is weird is didn’t this guy make his hay of being an RPO guy in high school? He never COULD throw worth a dam but he did other things well, like decisions to hand off or take off or (rare occasions) drop back and pass. But the latter was seemingly always the last option. He is kind of fat now and slower but why isn’t he being used for his strengths? Why did anyone, ND, BC, or ourselves, try to make him a pocket passer? I can get he went to ND because it was his “dream” school regardless of how they play, but why didn’t he then transfer to a school that would use him properly? So there are a LOT of individuals who screwed this guy up (including himself).
I mentioned it earlier in the game thread. My guess is that his body is broken down.... and the things that he could do well in high school and the first 3 or 4 years at ND and BC are much harder now. And the things he should have learned how to do at ND and BC as a quarterback are hard to do now because he never did them naturally and he is broken down.

I also think that is why we see the WTF decision making at times both in the pocket running into sacks and not seeing open receivers down the field. This dude just cannot play anymore. He doesn't know what to do within what he is capable of doing. He could probably run a half assed RPO because he is still a big dude who can run a bit and can take a hit.... but his head is disconnected from his current playbook and how is capabilities fit into it.

Hasselbeck was very critical of the QB NOT staying in the pocket. Time after time .
I was just responding to a question. He was certain more critical of our offense and QBing than you'll hear on most broadcasts, and even so, he was probably being way too kind.

Reactions: sonofabit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT