ADVERTISEMENT

Playing a home game in 🇮🇪 is a joke, right?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
There's no way this can be true. Early April Fool's? I have said numerous times that scheduling 2 losses vs Wisconsin was extremely dumb. At least you can make the argument that we might beat them at home (small chance) and that there might be a decent crowd. I dont buy those arguments but people could say that. Now, you eliminate our home game and make us play a defacto road game in front of an 80% Wisconsin crowd (they will travel big-time) a few thousand miles away.

You guys realize if I thought of this idea, everyone would have rightfully ridiculed the crap out of me and it would have wound up on message board geniuses. You dont sell a home game to Dublin. Period. We arent BC, Duke, Wake, shit programs like that. We should be playing at home. I dont care how much Dublin is paying. I assume the $$$ we get for selling this game is more lucrative than playing at Acrisure but how much more and is that really worth pissing off Pitt fans who would prefer to see Wisconsin come here?

It's a few years away still and I'm with you. I don't care about the money, it takes away the premiere non-conference, really conference as well, home game away from the season ticket holders.

It's a few years away still and I'm with you. I don't care about the money, it takes away the premiere non-conference, really conference as well, home game away from the season ticket holders.

I hope the AD at that time buys out of this and the stupid UConn home and home

I'm trying to think of who this game being in Ireland actually benefits. Pitt loses a home game. And frankly, not only would I not plan a trip to Ireland for this; if I were already in Ireland at the time by happen chance, I sure as hell wouldn't waste six hours of my time there on a college football game. And I doubt we'll convert many Irish people into hardcore college football fans by sending two third-rate programs over to play a 9-6 snoozefest.

I don't get it. And I realize teams have been playing over there for a while. Will a free trip to the mecca help us recruit some ginger offensive lineman?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Can we sell our participation in this game to another team? I’m serious. I’d rather play Duquesne at home in the “city game”

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Can we sell our participation in this game to another team? I’m serious. I’d rather play Duquesne at home in the “city game”
Trade it to BC for their home game against Umass or UConn or something

I'm trying to think of who this game being in Ireland actually benefits. Pitt loses a home game. And frankly, not only would I not plan a trip to Ireland for this; if I were already in Ireland at the time by happen chance, I sure as hell wouldn't waste six hours of my time there on a college football game. And I doubt we'll convert many Irish people into hardcore college football fans by sending two third-rate programs over to play a 9-6 snoozefest.

I don't get it. And I realize teams have been playing over there for a while. Will a free trip to the mecca help us recruit some ginger offensive lineman?

It benefits Pitt financially. I would guess Pitt will make $1 million-$3 million more than playing it Acrisure. But, as I said, is that worth a better chance at a loss and pissing off fans.

Funny thing is I hate this game but I'd go. I'll go to Camp Randall too but I'm a Pitt football degenerate.

I get both sides. It’s cool our team is the main event in another country. It sucks it takes away a competitive edge and a home game. I’m leaning towards it’s cool to play in Ireland.

I absolutely love this. Can’t wait to go to Madison in 2026, and now an excuse to go to Dublin- love it. Travel the US (and now the world) while also taking in a Pitt football game is one of the best parts of being a sports fan.

I'm going to go too but that doesn't make it right. The stadium seats 50K people. There will be 20K Wisconsin fans, 3K Pitt fans, and 27K locals. 40K or so Pitt fans are going to miss out on going to a Pitt/Wisconsin game.

There's no way this can be true. Early April Fool's? I have said numerous times that scheduling 2 losses vs Wisconsin was extremely dumb. At least you can make the argument that we might beat them at home (small chance) and that there might be a decent crowd. I dont buy those arguments but people could say that. Now, you eliminate our home game and make us play a defacto road game in front of an 80% Wisconsin crowd (they will travel big-time) a few thousand miles away.

You guys realize if I thought of this idea, everyone would have rightfully ridiculed the crap out of me and it would have wound up on message board geniuses. You dont sell a home game to Dublin. Period. We arent BC, Duke, Wake, shit programs like that. We should be playing at home. I dont care how much Dublin is paying. I assume the $$$ we get for selling this game is more lucrative than playing at Acrisure but how much more and is that really worth pissing off Pitt fans who would prefer to see Wisconsin come here?
But I thought the Big 10 West was so weak?

Part of the national mission of shoving a sport down a country's fan base's throat where said country not interested in it even though they are told they should be......sound familiar?

Part of the national mission of shoving a sport down a country's fan base's throat where said country not interested in it even though they are told they should be......sound familiar?

Terrible example. World-class soccer is immensely popular in the US. College football is about as popular Irelend as professional dodgeball is in the US.

It benefits Pitt financially. I would guess Pitt will make $1 million-$3 million more than playing it Acrisure. But, as I said, is that worth a better chance at a loss and pissing off fans.

Funny thing is I hate this game but I'd go. I'll go to Camp Randall too but I'm a Pitt football degenerate.

But you're just completely making that up, lol. For all we know, Pitt is getting less money out of this deal. In fact, I would say that's probable.

I only skimmed this, but they're saying the total cost for these two BIG schools to play in Ireland was $10M, which included the Northwestern guarantee... and $6M of that cost is for airfare. So, all told, they got less than $4M. How much less I don't know.

How much did Pitt pull in for the Tennessee game (Wisconsin travels well, so I assume attendance for this could be similar)? I mean, even a modest 55,000 x $40/ticket already puts the number at $2.2M. I guess you'd have to make some concession for the season tickets that would be sold anyway, whether there are 6 or 7 home games. Either way, this doesn't sound like Pitt will be coming out ahead.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/big-red-business-the-cost-of-putting-on-a-football-game-in-ireland

But you're just completely making that up, lol. For all we know, Pitt is getting less money out of this deal. In fact, I would say that's probable.

I only skimmed this, but they're saying the total cost for these two BIG schools to play in Ireland was $10M, which included the Northwestern guarantee... and $6M of that cost is for airfare. So, all told, they got less than $4M. How much less I don't know.
Randomly pulling a number out of his ass isn't believable? LOL, his life revolves around it.

The issue is going to be all the Pitt people (employees) who use this as a free vacation to Ireland. $6m on airfare seems insane. How many freaking people did they fly to Ireland.

I wonder how the TV money shakes out for this. It's a Pitt home game, so it's ACC TV money. Is this in addition to the existing contract? If not, will ESPN be pitching in to cover costs? It will likely be a good TV draw in week 0.

How much did Pitt pull in for the Tennessee game (Wisconsin travels well, so I assume attendance for this could be similar)? I mean, even a modest 55,000 x $40/ticket already puts the number at $2.2M. I guess you'd have to make some concession for the season tickets that would be sold anyway, whether there are 6 or 7 home games. Either way, this doesn't sound like Pitt will be coming out ahead.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/big-red-business-the-cost-of-putting-on-a-football-game-in-ireland

Pitt makes some absurdly stupid decisions:

- courtside luxury boxes and putting them on TV

- putting the ticket broker/visiting fan sections on TV at Acrisure

- new volleyball arena when you already are experiencing crazy success in your current one

- passing up a home and home with Michigan to lose 2 games to Utah

Horrible decisions over many administrations. However, I have to give Pitt the benefit of the doubt. It makes absolutely no sense to sell a home game to Irelend if you arent going to make money on the deal. Taking this game out of Pittsburgh is insanely stupid. There isnt even a word to describe what it would be if they actually lose money on the deal. They have to be making money on this. And as someone said earlier, perhaps this was needed to help underwrite the volleyball arena. I would think that ESPN would even throw some extra money Pitt's way for giving them a no-competition Week 0 highly rated game. Pitt has to be making money on this but that's not a good enough reason to take it out of Pittsburgh.

Randomly pulling a number out of his ass isn't believable? LOL, his life revolves around it.

The issue is going to be all the Pitt people (employees) who use this as a free vacation to Ireland. $6m on airfare seems insane. How many freaking people did they fly to Ireland.

I wonder how the TV money shakes out for this. It's a Pitt home game, so it's ACC TV money. Is this in addition to the existing contract? If not, will ESPN be pitching in to cover costs? It will likely be a good TV draw in week 0.

There is no way they spent $6 million on airfare. Lets say they flew 1000 people, which is far too many. They would have to have spent $6000 on round-trip tickets. So yea, no way. For Pitt, it'll probably be something like 300 travelers @ $500 each. $150K

It seems nuts to me as well, but we're talking about players, band members, cheerleaders, team managers/coaches/staff, other admin, and all of the associated equipment. I mean I just don't know enough to dispute what's in the article, honestly. Maybe there's something I'm overlooking, or maybe they're lumping all travel/lodging/meals costs in that number.

Pitt has to be making money on this but that's not a good enough reason to take it out of Pittsburgh.

Add jet lag to my list of concerns. Northwestern lost its next ten games after playing in Ireland last season. Nebraska lost 7 of 10, with wins coming against one FCS teams and two JUCO teams (Indiana and Rutgers). This supports my narrative as is, so I refuse to lend any credence to the possibility that they were just really bad teams.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Add jet lag to my list of concerns. Northwestern lost its next ten games after playing in Ireland last season. Nebraska lost 7 of 10, with wins coming against one FCS teams and two JUCO teams (Indiana and Rutgers). This supports my narrative as is, so I refuse to lend any credence to the possibility that they were just really bad teams.

You play Robert Morris the next week and you are fine. Knowing Pitt though, we will schedule the finest FCS program out there so we can risk a loss.

Please, it’s not like they’re playing in New Zealand, it’s a 5 hour time difference.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I’m interested in stacking wins like good teams. Eff the non con. The ACC is challenge enough. Play the MaC/temple/ navy/ 1aa schools. Miami, Clemson, fsu, and ND are plenty enough challenge.

Want a tough ooc? Schedule the backyard brawl every year and stop scheduling these stupid series games with teams that do nothing for us win-wise or recruiting-wise.

Stupid question time. Will season ticket holders get tickets to this game as part of the season ticket package if they want them? Not sure how that is worked out in the negotiations for this type of game when one of the two schools is giving up a home game to participate.

I absolutely love this. Can’t wait to go to Madison in 2026, and now an excuse to go to Dublin- love it. Travel the US (and now the world) while also taking in a Pitt football game is one of the best parts of being a sports fan.
Remember- no restroom break at the end of the 3rd quarter at Camp Randall….hold it in.

Reactions: GaryMcgheeForThree
Pitt makes some absurdly stupid decisions:

- courtside luxury boxes and putting them on TV

- putting the ticket broker/visiting fan sections on TV at Acrisure

- new volleyball arena when you already are experiencing crazy success in your current one

- passing up a home and home with Michigan to lose 2 games to Utah

Horrible decisions over many administrations. However, I have to give Pitt the benefit of the doubt. It makes absolutely no sense to sell a home game to Irelend if you arent going to make money on the deal. Taking this game out of Pittsburgh is insanely stupid. There isnt even a word to describe what it would be if they actually lose money on the deal. They have to be making money on this. And as someone said earlier, perhaps this was needed to help underwrite the volleyball arena. I would think that ESPN would even throw some extra money Pitt's way for giving them a no-competition Week 0 highly rated game. Pitt has to be making money on this but that's not a good enough reason to take it out of Pittsburgh.

Playing Michigan or Ohio State would sellout Acrisure. Utah travels well but distance and their number of fans/alumni miniscule to Ohio State and Michigan.

Playing Michigan or Ohio State would sellout Acrisure. Utah travels well but distance and their number of fans/alumni miniscule to Ohio State and Michigan.

And that's why these are the only teams we should play home and home:

Mich
OSU
Alabama
Texas
Oklahoma
Georgia
Florida
Tenessee (Pitt got one right for once)
USC
Oregon (maybe)

We are going to lose 2 games anyway, might as well get a good crowd.

The list of teams we should play 1 in Dublin, 1 at their place:

Hawaii

• Love
Reactions: cbpitt2
For all we know, Pitt is getting less money out of this deal. In fact, I would say that's probable.

There is no way that is the case. Simply no way.

As an example, the reason that Florida and Georgia continue to play in Jacksonville every year, and were worried about what to do these next couple of years when the Jacksonville stadium is getting completely renovated, is because the two schools make a lot more money playing in Jacksonville than they do playing home and home. Over a two year cycle they both make about twice as much money.

Now if schools that regularly sell out 90,000 seat stadiums are making that much more money playing their game in a 67,000 seat neutral site stadium, what do you think is going to happen with a Pitt team that has trouble selling half as many tickets plays in a game like that?

There's a reason that schools like Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida State, Clemson and others play games at neutral sites. And it's not because they make less money playing in them.

As an example, the reason that Florida and Georgia continue to play in Jacksonville every year, and were worried about what to do these next couple of years when the Jacksonville stadium is getting completely renovated, is because the two schools make a lot more money playing in Jacksonville than they do playing home and home. Over a two year cycle they both make about twice as much money.

Now if schools that regularly sell out 90,000 seat stadiums are making that much more money playing their game in a 67,000 seat neutral site stadium, what do you think is going to happen with a Pitt team that has trouble selling half as many tickets plays in a game like that?

There's a reason that schools like Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida State, Clemson and others play games at neutral sites. And it's not because they make less money playing in them.
Yeah, but they're at least selling those 67,000 tickets - likely at a sizeable markup from what they would be otherwise. It sounds like this game will be lucky to have 30,000 people, and I imagine they're a lot cheaper.

I honestly don't know enough about it to die on any hills one way or the other. I just know that something doesn't add up if that article is accurate. Like if the money was coming from the $65M or whatever this game was bringing in the city, it would make sense (and maybe that is the case with some of these other neutral site games). But it provides some pretty rigid dollar amounts that don't leave a ton of wiggle room for Pitt to come out millions ahead in this ordeal.

Even if Pitt stood to break about even, it doesn't seem that far-fetched that they would vote in favor of this: A free trip for lots of university employees; national exposure; perhaps a recruiting pitch. Let's not pretend that many teams don't lose money every year participating in bowl games. So I don't think it's a slam dunk at all that Pitt is coming out of this millions ahead, as has been suggested.

But, like I said, if one argument is that season tickets will cost the same whether this game is played in Ireland or Pittsburgh... yeah, I could see the appeal in creating an extra game worth of revenue that way. As other have alluded to, they're sort of towing a thin line with pissing the fans off that way, though.

It is true that UF/UGa and UT/OU make more money in their neutral site games. However, they could simply just play those games on campus while taking it out of the season ticket and charge exorbitantly high ticket prices to make up for the fee that Jax and Dallas pay.

Yeah, but they're at least selling those 67,000 tickets - likely at a sizeable markup from what they would be otherwise. It sounds like this game will be lucky to have 30,000 people, and I imagine they're a lot cheaper.

I honestly don't know enough about it to die on any hills one way or the other. I just know that something doesn't add up if that article is accurate. Like if the money was coming from the $65M or whatever this game was bringing in the city, it would make sense (and maybe that is the case with some of these other neutral site games). But it provides some pretty rigid dollar amounts that don't leave a ton of wiggle room for Pitt to come out millions ahead in this ordeal.

Even if Pitt stood to break about even, it doesn't seem that far-fetched that they would vote in favor of this: A free trip for lots of university employees; national exposure; perhaps a recruiting pitch. Let's not pretend that many teams don't lose money every year participating in bowl games. So I don't think it's a slam dunk at all that Pitt is coming out of this millions ahead, as has been suggested.

But, like I said, if one argument is that season tickets will cost the same whether this game is played in Ireland or Pittsburgh... yeah, I could see the appeal in creating an extra game worth of revenue that way. As other have alluded to, they're sort of towing a thin line with pissing the fans off that way, though.

I'm not even reading your article because I dont need to. There is simply no way any school would sell a home game to lose money. Not even as stupid as Pitt is. They will make money. And Nutting has an extra weekend of the parking lots.

If you don't think that the tickets for the Pitt game in Ireland are going to be selling for a lot more than they do for Pitt games in Pittsburgh then I think you are going to be in for a big surprise.

Because it's not even going to be close.

As a private University, Northwestern did not disclose how much they were compensated. Nebraska received $250000 in addition to having most of their expenses covered. Ticket retail prices ranged from $175 to $340. It was not a sellout and I couldn't find anything indicating whether ticket prices were ever lowered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT