ADVERTISEMENT

Playing a home game in 🇮🇪 is a joke, right?

If you don't think that the tickets for the Pitt game in Ireland are going to be selling for a lot more than they do for Pitt games in Pittsburgh then I think you are going to be in for a big surprise.

Because it's not even going to be close.

Okay, but again, this is coming from people who seem to have actual firsthand knowledge of the numbers:

"The price tag for putting on the game? $10 million, said John Anthony, founder and chief executive of Anthony Travel, a division of On Location and the official travel sponsor of the game.

One report in the Irish press put the airfare price tag at about $6 million to uproot the two schools and fly them to Dublin. Then, there’s the guarantee to Northwestern, which is the host school, as well as covering Nebraska’s expenses, plus security, social events, and game-day field preparation."

So that leaves $4M to cover Pitt's guarantee + Wisconsin's expenses + security + social events + game-day field preparation. You guys saying "there's no way Pitt isn't making money off this" isn't really solid evidence they're coming out "1-3 million ahead." It's possible they're coming out ahead (again, especially with the aforementioned double dipping component of the season ticket sales), but it's also possible they're not based on what I'm reading.

He cant understand it? Really? It takes away a home game and makes the game harder to win since it'll be at Camp O'Randall

Yulp. Always a little bush league when you can't secure a true home and home with a team. Home schedule that year is BC, SMU, Duke, Cal, Uconn... and then probably an FCS team. Possibly the worst we've ever had.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbpitt2 and Burgh15
Home schedule that year is BC, SMU, Duke, Cal, Uconn... and then probably a G5 and FCS. Possibly the worst we've ever had.

WHAT?????

I didnt even look but I figured we had WVU or some other good game.

FCS
G5
UConn
SMU
Cal
Duke
BC

Yea, easily our worst home schedule ever. I know why we sold the game now. We would have had 8 home games and we cant have that now can we? So we'll keep season ticket prices the same from 2026 when we play

FCS
G5
Miami (OH)
FSU
UNC
Syr
GT

WHAT?????

I didnt even look but I figured we had WVU or some other good game.

FCS
G5
UConn
SMU
Cal
Duke
BC

Yea, easily our worst home schedule ever. I know why we sold the game now. We would have had 8 home games and we cant have that now can we? So we'll keep season ticket prices the same from 2026 when we play

FCS
G5
Miami (OH)
FSU
UNC
Syr
GT

Yeah I saw that number had it at 8 and edited my post to exclude the second G5 game. I assume we'll be at a G5 team that season now. But maybe we will still find a way to play 7 at the Ack. Either way it's pretty weak unless SMU buys its way into the top ten by then.

Yeah I saw that number had it at 8 and edited my post to exclude the second G5 game. I assume we'll be at a G5 team that season now. But maybe we will still find a way to play 7 at the Ack. Either way it's pretty weak unless SMU buys its way into the top ten by then.

They need to stop playing home and homes with G5s. I suspect we will buy a G5 home game and that's where the Dublin money will go to pay. Also, even if SMU is really good by then, no one in Pgh will care or will go to the game. SMU, Cal, Duke, BC. Good lord that's an impossible sell. I am giving up my season tickets that year in protest and will buy them for a couple bucks on Stubhub.

Reactions: cbpitt2
He cant understand it? Really? It takes away a home game and makes the game harder to win since it'll be at Camp O'Randall
The only people who might be upset are the students

Since they actually attend with regularity regardless of opponent, support the team and probably can’t afford to travel yet.

So yeah … it’s three years out

I don’t get it

Meh. It’s thinking out of the box which 3-9 programs that are 4th or 5th in their own market should try.

Meh. It’s thinking out of the box which 3-9 programs that are 4th or 5th in their own market should try.

A team 4th or 5th in their own market should try to play its best home game at home instead of Ireland. I hope we have a new AD by then and they buy out of this series.

Reactions: cbpitt2
I dont understand why it had to be Wisconsin. Why couldnt they sell the BC or SMU or Cal or Duke games?
Wisconsin is going to have a lot more fans making the trip compared to those schools. This game all about selling travel packages to the fans going over, Pitt was either offered more money to play Wisconsin compared to the other teams or they’re getting a cut of the travel package money for both teams.

Here’s the packages they have for the game next year.

Wisconsin is going to have a lot more fans making the trip compared to those schools. This game all about selling travel packages to the fans going over, Pitt was either offered more money to play Wisconsin compared to the other teams or they’re getting a cut of the travel package money for both teams.

Here’s the packages they have for the game next year.

So what. Wisconsin is the best game on the schedule. You dont sell that. Tell them to take SMU, Cal, Duke, or BC or eff off. If we are that broke that we have to sell our best home game, why are we building a volleyball arena?

Reactions: Burgh15 and cbpitt2
So what. Wisconsin is the best game on the schedule. You dont sell that. Tell them to take SMU, Cal, Duke, or BC or eff off. If we are that broke that we have to sell our best home game, why are we building a volleyball arena?
We won’t know if it’s the best game on the schedule for awhile, the days of the Badgers breezing through the B1G West are over, they can easily be a 4 or 5 win team when 2027 rolls around.

Once again that arena is for more than volleyball.

We won’t know if it’s the best game on the schedule for awhile, the days of the Badgers breezing through the B1G West are over, they can easily be a 4 or 5 win team when 2027 rolls around.

Once again that arena is for more than volleyball.

Stop it. Even if Wisconsin goes 4-8 the next 3 years, which they won't, it would easily be the most anticipated game on that abortion of a home schedule. And the arena is for volleyball. Gymnastics and wrestling get to use it just like women's hoops gets to use The Pete. No one said "The Pete is for more than men's basketball. The women play there too."

Reactions: Burgh15
Stop it. Even if Wisconsin goes 4-8 the next 3 years, which they won't, it would easily be the most anticipated game on that abortion of a home schedule. And the arena is for volleyball. Gymnastics and wrestling get to use it just like women's hoops gets to use The Pete. No one said "The Pete is for more than men's basketball. The women play there too."

The Pete is for more than men's basketball. The fact that you don't think so doesn't mean that it isn't, it's just another in the (very) long list of things you are wrong about.

The Pete is for more than men's basketball. The fact that you don't think so doesn't mean that it isn't, it's just another in the (very) long list of things you are wrong about.

Here's what I mean. If Pitt didn't have a men's team or lets say we were in the Patriot League for hoops, that doesn't get built, at least not that big. The Pete was built 100% for men's basketball. Women's hoops and concerts play there because the men cant use it 24/7.

By the same token, if we didnt have a volleyball program, we wouldn't have built that arena for wrestling/gymnastics.

Here's what I mean. If Pitt didn't have a men's team or lets say we were in the Patriot League for hoops, that doesn't get built, at least not that big. The Pete was built 100% for men's basketball. Women's hoops and concerts play there because the men cant use it 24/7.

By the same token, if we didnt have a volleyball program, we wouldn't have built that arena for wrestling/gymnastics.

All the construction Pitt has done to renovate/replace other old buildings on campus must completely blow your mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT