ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: The OT threads

Should the OT threads stay here or be moved to the Locker Room?

• Keep them here

Votes: 56 67.5%
  • Move them

Votes: 27 32.5%

• Total voters

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Lots of OT threads on the board lately, so I'll ask the denizens of the forum:

Should those threads stay here or be moved to the Locker Room board, which is designed for off-topic conversations?

Reactions: USN_Panther
I voted to keep 'em here, and that's because some are interesting and I might not see them otherwise. But on the other hand, it's really become a slow Pitt news period - with no major football or basketball news of late. (e.g. Look how long the same threads have been toward the top of the list.....)

Maybe the OT's should get moved to the Locker Room in....say, August - when football camp starts?

Thanks for the poll, Chris.

I voted to keep them here, simply because I don't have any interest in the Locker Room forum. I consider that to be the place for arguments, mainly political, which I don't want any part of.

I could see the angst of folks if these non-political OT threads were during the season, or a time of the year where there were football related happenings; but this is a long, slow, boring part of the year, and they at least give me a reason to come to this board.

If this board were regulated to Pitt football only conversations this time of the year, there might be enough traffic to warrant me coming here twice a week.

But, thanks again for the poll, so that all decide.

The Locker Room is a crazy, partisan filled political place. I think most of the OT's here are fun stuff, and somewhat relevant to the audience. I think in the Locker Room it gets buried.

I just think we should all be respectful and not proliferate 20 "OT" posts like a certain poster has done over the last couple of days, I am not sure what his problem was.

Last edited:

Should those threads stay here or be moved to the Locker Room board, which is designed for off-topic conversations?
Keep them here or curtail them from July thru January...else this board will be tumbleweeds with very little football related stuff going on for stretches and you can have only so many on-campus stadium go arounds....besides eventually some of the OT's get around to getting back to something Pitt football related. Example just yesterday, I ended up including a video of Marino and Sammartino together on a South Oakland sign dedication during an OT on his death..

Keep them here or curtail them from July thru January...else this board will be tumbleweeds with very little football related stuff going on for stretches and you can have only so many on-campus stadium go arounds....besides eventually some of the OT's get around to getting back to something Pitt football related. Example just yesterday, I ended up including a video of Marino and Sammartino together on a South Oakland sign dedication during an OT on his death..

Yeah I think when it comes to the season, and heavy recruiting season, the topics tend to take care of itself.

Maybe create an OT board, like a general discussion forum about things Pittsburgh. I agree that the Locker Room isn't a place for the OT threads.

Well, it's the football offseason. If they go in the locker room, I likely won't see them or read them. Not a big deal either way to me. People who cry about them on the free board are a bunch of babies.

I often get news on this board since I've completely toned out the news sites.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Agree with what others above said. Leave them here except for politics and maybe if PSU threads get out of hand. I like the pop culture/food/beer discussions that spring up and also like others have said they fill up some of the off season down time. Like all threads - if not interested, move along.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
The locker room is a cesspool where people's true colors show and it makes me see certain posters in a way that makes me want to not associate with them at all.

Chris,

I would advise you to rename the Locker Room Board, the Political Board or maybe the Alt-right board. In doing this, I would say to create an "OT board." Normally, I'd say to put the OT stuff over on the Locker Room Board but that place is a cesspool and I feel really dirty even clicking that link. I have no problem with expressing your own political views but those guys take it way too far.

Reactions: ratking17
As long as they are clearly marked OT, I don’t see the harm. I think they make for some of the most interesting conversations we have on here.

There’s only so many times you can talk about the hue of the blue on the uniforms or who’s going to win the starting outside linebackers jobs.

It’s nice to talk about other things from time to time without having to go searching for it and without having to wade through all of the crazy political talk.

Also, if they are clearly marked OT, and if you’re not interested in them, then don’t read it. It’s not too tough.

Reactions: ratking17
Chris,

I would advise you to rename the Locker Room Board, the Political Board or maybe the Alt-right board. In doing this, I would say to create an "OT board." Normally, I'd say to put the OT stuff over on the Locker Room Board but that place is a cesspool and I feel really dirty even clicking that link. I have no problem with expressing your own political views but those guys take it way too far.

SMF is 100% correct here

Chris,

SMF is 100% correct here

I do think it would be neat to have a true "locker room board" or "OT board" for general discussion but politics should not be allowed. Give them their own political board. There are political extremists that dominate that board.

As long as they are clearly marked OT, I don’t see the harm. I think they make for some of the most interesting conversations we have on here.

There’s only so many times you can talk about the hue of the blue on the uniforms or who’s going to win the starting outside linebackers jobs.

It’s nice to talk about other things from time to time without having to go searching for it and without having to wade through all of the crazy political talk.

Also, if they are clearly marked OT, and if you’re not interested in them, then don’t read it. It’s not too tough.
I agree.

Chris,

I understand your point, you have see me exasperated in some of those arguments, but don't you think because since most of the debate is pro Right and you aren't right, that is your major problem with it? Trust me, the degree of partisanship scares the hell out of me, because that is a representative few. But I think if it is the same vitriolic speech only from the opposite view you may not view it quite the same.

Chris,

I understand your point, you have see me exasperated in some of those arguments, but don't you think because since most of the debate is pro Right and you aren't right, that is your major problem with it? Trust me, the degree of partisanship scares the hell out of me, because that is a representative few. But I think if it is the same vitriolic speech only from the opposite view you may not view it quite the same.

No, my problem is because it is too far-right. I would feel the same way if it were too far-left. I remember a poster by the name of "Dying on Principle" was a far-left nutbag that posted only during election season and never on a regular Pitt sports board. I thought that was really strange.

I think there are some posters on there who post reasonable pro-right opinions but the majority are Breitbart-types, completely brainwashed and I don't think that type of stuff should be posted on a "locker room board." Like I said, a Political Board, Conservative Board, fine, but it would be fun to have a true locker room board where we could discuss OT stuff without all the political stuff.

I also think that board is a bad representation of Pitt fans. I dont agree with your handle that recruits read these boards, but if they did, I wouldn't want them reading that board. College-educated white men skew Democrat. However, that board is probably 90% Republican. If it were only that, that might be ok but there are some far-right folks over there and I think that's a bad look.

Keep them here, unless they are about the Penn State scandal, then delete that crap! I can't believe anyone is still interested to talk about that garbage anymore. LOL!

SMF is 100% correct here
never been over there but are all the commenters alt-right (whatever that even is)?

Not all. There are only like, I would say 5 regular contributors who have leftist views. The rest are pro-right to varying degrees, which as I said in another post is odd because college-educated white men lean a little left by a small majority

No, my problem is because it is too far-right. I would feel the same way if it were too far-left. I remember a poster by the name of "Dying on Principle" was a far-left nutbag that posted only during election season and never on a regular Pitt sports board. I thought that was really strange.

I think there are some posters on there who post reasonable pro-right opinions but the majority are Breitbart-types, completely brainwashed and I don't think that type of stuff should be posted on a "locker room board." Like I said, a Political Board, Conservative Board, fine, but it would be fun to have a true locker room board where we could discuss OT stuff without all the political stuff.

I also think that board is a bad representation of Pitt fans. I dont agree with your handle that recruits read these boards, but if they did, I wouldn't want them reading that board. College-educated white men skew Democrat. However, that board is probably 90% Republican. If it were only that, that might be ok but there are some far-right folks over there and I think that's a bad look.

Well all I can say if people are really that partisan and that devoted to one set of ideals, they don't want solutions. And that is my main problem with their "debates".

Not all. There are only like, I would say 5 regular contributors who have leftist views. The rest are pro-right to varying degrees, which as I said in another post is odd because college-educated white men lean a little left by a small majority
funny, now "pro-right"...but you labeled them as extremist af first ("the Alt-right board"). Wonder why? I tend not to assign derogatory labels as much as possible outside of jest... Interesting how you seem to have gleaned the race, gender and education of the posters here also (odd, that white college-educated men would behave in such a fashion)...tsk, tsk...

Last edited:
The locker room is a cesspool where people's true colors show and it makes me see certain posters in a way that makes me want to not associate with them at all.

You do realize that some posters on this board feel the same way about you???

What exactly are people's true colors?? Do you mean they have to agree with you??

Again you do realize that half the country thinks one way and the other half has another viewpoint??? Why should this board be any different?

I have to laugh when posters think their thoughts and opinions are right, the only opinions, and others shouldn't have counter points of view.

Grow up!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

funny, now "pro-right"...but you labeled them as extremist af first. Wonder why? I tend not to assign derogatory labels as much as possible... Interesting how you seem to have gleaned the race, gender and education of the posters here also (odd, that white college-educated men would behave in such a fashion)...tsk, tsk...

I said to call it an alt-right board as a joke. I did say there are some political extremists on there, not all obviously.

I don't have a problem with that board if they could just call it a Political Board or Conservative Board. Calling it a Locker Room Board just isn't the correct title because that's not what it is. It would be nice to have a fun, OT board where Pitt fans can discuss TV, movies, and non-political current events

I said to call it an alt-right board as a joke. I did say there are some political extremists on there, not all obviously.

I don't have a problem with that board if they could just call it a Political Board or Conservative Board. Calling it a Locker Room Board just isn't the correct title because that's not what it is. It would be nice to have a fun, OT board where Pitt fans can discuss TV, movies, and non-political current events
back just met track....so you went with..."the online political movement or grouping based in the U.S. whose members reject mainstream conservative politics and espouse extremist beliefs and policies typically centered on ideas of white nationalism Board" as a joke...hahahaha, good one!

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Chris,

I probably would. I am center-left. I would want nothing to do with a board dominated by far-leftists. I dont share a lot of their views

It's curious to look back at alot of the political "discussions" had on this board.

Most posters right of center "fight it out" and most posters left of center put people on ignore, call them nasty names, or request that the posters be banned.

What happened to all that tolerance, and acceptance of different ideas, opinions, etc.???

William Buckley Jr. got it right a long time ago!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

can we all agree, im definitely one of these people you are referring too. I mean, I'd appreciate if we can all agree that I am definitely one of these people. for the record. I just like this out there, documented..

ADVERTISEMENT