ADVERTISEMENT

Potential changes to the 12 team CFP

I think we’re inching closer towards that. I wouldn’t be surprised in the near future if the so-called ‘super league’ retains affiliation with universities in name only. If that happens, the relationship between college football and the NFL could become more like the MLS and Premier League than, say, AAA baseball and the MLB.
That seems odd in a way. if it was a pro team just named Pitt Panthers and the players where pros and have no real connection to the school, I don't think I'd be into that, I think I'd rather be D3.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
That seems odd in a way. if it was a pro team just named Pitt Panthers and the players where pros and have no real connection to the school, I don't think I'd be into that, I think I'd rather be D3.
I’m with you there. I wish we could get a Time Machine and revert back to how college football was 20-30 years ago. Times are a changing…

I’m with you there. I wish we could get a Time Machine and revert back to how college football was 20-30 years ago. Times are a changing…
i want to go back to having 80% of the good bowl games on TV on New Years day, going from noon til night, on cbs, abc and nbc..

im so old, i remember when new years day bowls were actually played on new years day..

i want to go back to having 80% of the good bowl games on TV on New Years day, going from noon til night, on cbs, abc and nbc..

im so old, i remember when new years day bowls were actually played on new years day..
I will say that it was a little weird playing in a ‘New Year’s Six’ game on December 30… doesn’t make sense anywhere else except in the world of college football! :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Sometimes, really good teams get left out of playoff formats at the expense of inferior teams. That's just how it works. Honestly though, the auto bids wouldn't be necessary anyway because the SEC is already getting at least two teams in, most years and the TV people will make sure the money makers are there.

Right.

The SEC isn’t literally arguing that it deserves two automatic bids.

It’s going to argue:

1. There shouldn’t be auto-bids

2. auto bids should be based on some third party ranking, instead of conference winning.

I get people are upset because they see it as the SEC trying to get another team into the playoffs.
But so what? It’s going to have another team in the playoff anyway in the expanded system, regardless of what model we adopt.
And it should. Last year 2024 SEC teams finished 1, 2, 5, 7, and 8 in F+ rankings.
2021 was 1,2, 8.
2020 was 1, 5, and 6.
2019 was 2, 3, 5, 8, 9.

Etc. Etc.

They aren’t really trying to “game” the playoff system. You actually have to game it to keep multiple SEC teams out.

Reactions: pittdan77
Right.

The SEC isn’t literally arguing that it deserves two automatic bids.

It’s going to argue:

1. There shouldn’t be auto-bids

2. auto bids should be based on some third party ranking, instead of conference winning.

I get people are upset because they see it as the SEC trying to get another team into the playoffs.
But so what? It’s going to have another team in the playoff anyway in the expanded system, regardless of what model we adopt.
And it should. Last year 2024 SEC teams finished 1, 2, 5, 7, and 8 in F+ rankings.
2021 was 1,2, 8.
2020 was 1, 5, and 6.
2019 was 2, 3, 5, 8, 9.

Etc. Etc.

They aren’t really trying to “game” the playoff system. You actually have to game it to keep multiple SEC teams out.
I think the participants are best left to the committee. There isn't any evidence that there will be more than two or three teams in a given season that even can win it, anyway. The rest is just to squeeze more revenue out of everyone.

Reactions: cashisking884
This is so true. They seem to openly root for this conference flipping chaos.
Their stance (i.e. Mandel, Forde, etc) is always that the conferences are too weak and poorly managed and deserved to be raided rather than how bad it is for the sport. This dates back to the initial raid of the Big East. Not sure what the reaction was to the collapse of the old Southwest conference, pre-internet days.

As long as they get their final 4 with 2 SEC teams, A Big 10, and ND every year, they could care less about anything else. It's all about the "tradition". TCU really threw a wrench in their party last year.

With respect, yes there is.
No there isn't, I go to at least one game a year, I went to every game when I lived in Pittsburgh, I root for the team, wear the gear, watch every game, went to school there, lived there for years, that's all a fan is, no further obligations.

No there isn't, I go to at least one game a year, I went to every game when I lived in Pittsburgh, I root for the team, wear the gear, watch every game, went to school there, lived there for years, that's all a fan is, no further obligations.
That's what a casual fan is at best. Certainly not an avid fan. That's just the way it is with college sports.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
That's what a casual fan is at best. Certainly not an avid fan. That's just the way it is with college sports.
So be it. but if Pitt is relegated to a lower level, even D3, I'll still be there, following PITT ONLY, never watching any games of the new Super Leagues, while many of these so-called real fans have already said they won't care anymore.

And I guess as a real fan, it will be fine for you to TOTALLY BAIL on Pitt Football if they drop to a lower level, WOW what a great fan :)

Once again your stupidity shows through. As has been shown, over and over again, I go to the Pitt games to see Pitt play. Whether they are playing Penn State or Temple, Notre Dame or Grambling, I go to the Pitt games. To see Pitt.

Unlike you, who shows up once every year or so when someone offers you a free ticket.

I know for a fact which one of us that PITT thinks is a better fan. And it isn't the guy you see in the mirror each morning.

Once again your stupidity shows through. As has been shown, over and over again, I go to the Pitt games to see Pitt play. Whether they are playing Penn State or Temple, Notre Dame or Grambling, I go to the Pitt games. To see Pitt.

Unlike you, who shows up once every year or so when someone offers you a free ticket.

I know for a fact which one of us that PITT thinks is a better fan. And it isn't the guy you see in the mirror each morning.
Again, you continue to prove yourself to be a complete and total moron. You are an absolute nobody, you are nothing. You don't decide what a fan is. again, you are no authority, you are nothing. so, will you continue to follow every Pitt game if they drop to D3? If going to every game in person is required to be a fan, then Pitt has almost no fans in the grand scheme of thing. In fact, I am the more normal fan, and I'm actually way more intelligent for getting free tickets often, only a complete moron like you would rather pay than get tickets for free.

So be it. but if Pitt is relegated to a lower level, even D3, I'll still be there, following PITT ONLY, never watching any games of the new Super Leagues, while many of these so-called real fans have already said they won't care anymore.
They won’t have anything to care about anymore because Pitt will not be able to carry on with a program that is not funded by significant conference and network money (and disappearance of donations and tickets revenue).

No money coming in, but still having to give out dozens and dozens of scholarships, pay a dozen or so coaches, staff, travel, stadium rent (and the latter is the key point… only renting a stadium makes dropping the sport an even easier decision).

Schools in the middle of nowhere, with nothing else for students to do, with nostalgic alum who might ‘come back’ for tailgating in the fields around campus (and still willing to donate and buy some tickets), with a big white elephant stadium in the middle of campus that would be cost prohibitive to tear down … probably will try to muster on and play. Pitt won’t, mainly because it won’t have to.

I suppose a group of guys might carry on with a club football team, which I suppose you as the super fan would be happy to watch, except that it probably would have to meet played in somebody’s back yard and not likely to be broadcast anywhere (though with so many random streaming services, who knows).

This is the reason for concern that Pitt football remain in a place with a spot in the playoffs. Like the Pirates we likely never sniff the CFP in any of ours or even our grandchild’s lifetimes, but we need to be part of it for the program to continue.

The 25 largest FBS college football stadiums in the United States:
RANKSCHOOLSTADIUMCAPACITY
1MichiganMichigan Stadium (Ann Arbor, Mich.)107,601
2Penn StateBeaver Stadium (University Park, Pa.)106,572
3Ohio StateOhio Stadium (Columbus, Ohio)102,780
4Texas A&MKyle Field (College Station, Texas)102,733
5LSUTiger Stadium (Baton Rouge, La.)102,321
6TennesseeNeyland Stadium (Knoxville, Tenn.)101,915
7AlabamaBryant-Denny Stadium (Tuscaloosa, Ala.)101,821
8TexasDarrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium (Austin, Texas)100,119
9GeorgiaSanford Stadium (Athens, Ga.)92,746
10UCLARose Bowl (Pasadena, Calif.)91,136
11FloridaBen Hill Griffin Stadium (Gainesville, Fla.)88,548
12AuburnJordan-Hare Stadium (Auburn, Ala.)87,451
13OklahomaGaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium (Norman, Okla.)86,112
14NebraskaMemorial Stadium (Lincoln, Neb.)85,458
15ClemsonClemson Memorial Stadium (Clemson, S.C.)81,500
16Notre DameNotre Dame Stadium (South Bend, Ind.)80,795
17Florida StateDoak Campbell Stadium (Tallahassee, Fla.)79,560
18South CarolinaWilliams-Brice Stadium (Columbia, S.C.)77,559
19Southern CalLos Angeles Memorial Coliseum (Los Angeles)77,500
20WisconsinCamp Randall Stadium (Madison, Wisc.)75,822
21Michigan StateSpartan Stadium (East Lansing, Mich.)74,866
22ArkansasDonald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium (Fayetteville, Ark.)72,000
23WashingtonHusky Stadium (Seattle, Wash.)70,138
24IowaKinnick Stadium (Iowa City, Iowa)69,250
25templephillie
Jordan Hare is my favorite. The Swamp is filthy.

if pitt is D3, they'll be playing at highmark stadium in front of 180 fans who pay 5 dollars for general admission seating. and no, i dont think you'll be spending your saturdays watching this..

• Haha
Reactions: HTownStiller
I think the participants are best left to the committee. There isn't any evidence that there will be more than two or three teams in a given season that even can win it, anyway. The rest is just to squeeze more revenue out of everyone.
And we should pursue getting MORE of that revenue.

Jordan Hare is my favorite. The Swamp is filthy.

Kyle Field is pretty insane. I’ve been there a couple of times now the last couple of years since moving to Texas and that place was packed and jumping.

I can’t imagine how it is would be ever if they ever got good.

if pitt is D3, they'll be playing at highmark stadium in front of 180 fans who pay 5 dollars for general admission seating. and no, i dont think you'll be spending your saturdays watching this..
I will, I'll prefer it over watching Bama or tOSU. I may even attend MORE games in person.

I will, I'll prefer it over watching Bama or tOSU. I may even attend MORE games in person.
well go a few minutes early and bring a lawn chair so you can get a good seat on the 50 yard line right on the field. they may need you to volunteer to set up the concession stand or break down the field after though..

Kyle Field is pretty insane. I’ve been there a couple of times now the last couple of years since moving to Texas and that place was packed and jumping.

I can’t imagine how it is would be ever if they ever got good.
I've wanted to get to a game there. Give those folks credit. We're getting better at Acri as the memories are no longer bad play or revolving coaches. Stability is required.

well go a few minutes early and bring a lawn chair so you can get a good seat on the 50 yard line right on the field. they may need you to volunteer to set up the concession stand or break down the field after though..
That would be so much fun. My cousin played football for Westminster College in the late 80s when they were NAIA D3 National Champs, I went to a couple games and there would be like 3000 people there, but the tailgate and game atmosphere was so laid back and truly fun, it was a great time.

• Haha
Reactions: HTownStiller
Not likely in Highmark. Maybe Highland Park. The zoo parking lot. After the ultimate frisbee practice ends. Some of the same guys may play both

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT