ADVERTISEMENT

Thiero

The same guy on that board that said he was headed to Baylor now recanted and said it’s not UNC because Pitt is making a hard push for him. So I think it may be settling in for them!
That’s actually quite funny. Even that dude can read the tea leaves and see what’s going on…but Hubert Davis can’t.

Reactions: docpanther26
We are going to need to be a different team in some respects without Blake. Not only the 110 threes but the court spacing Blake afforded us. Even if we get Thiero, he’s only going to shoot something like 50 threes.
That is what people need to adjust to.

I wanted/expected HCJC to continue to value the three and make sure they could continue to have a team that shot a high volume at a good %, and build around that.

With Corhen and now presumably adding Thiero, this is going to be like one of those old Huggy Cincy teams - long, tough defensively, attack the basket, though they still should have a good three shooting component with a number of guys who should be able to hit them at a good %, just won't have a Hinson or Elliott who will shoot a ton of them.

They think they can’t compete with our bag.

Yes really.

As I said, college basketball player salaries are limited. Its not that UNC boosters cant afford Thiero, its whether or not they can justify a high salary for what may be a role player.

I wanted/expected HCJC to continue to value the three and make sure they could continue to have a team that shot a high volume at a good %, and build around that.

With Corhen and now presumably adding Thiero, this is going to be like one of those old Huggy Cincy teams - long, tough defensively, attack the basket, though they still should have a good three shooting component with a number of guys who should be able to hit them at a good %, just won't have a Hinson or Elliott who will shoot a ton of them.
Kind of like NC State who made a long tourney run with Middlebrooks, Burns, and Diablo inside with Horne and a few others shooting threes and driving to hoop.

As I said, college basketball player salaries are limited. Its not that UNC boosters cant afford Thiero, its whether or not they can justify a high salary for what may be a role player.
There’s no doubt. You are correct. They have three other spots to fill and have to be prudent. But they also think Thiero can be the difference between being a top 15 team and being a FF contender. Seems to me that if it were, say, 100K separating their offer and ours…you’d think they’d allocate the funds.

Yeah it’s an adjustment for sure and for as much as I respect Capel and think he’s the best guy to lead our program…it will be interesting to see if he can lead this team to success playing a different system than what he’s wanted the past few years.

I don’t know if Corhen is the type of rebounder Jamie would have wanted…but I do wonder if this team will look more like a Jamie team, old and physical, albeit with what appears to be better FT shooters.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Yeah it’s an adjustment for sure and for as much as I respect Capel and think he’s the best guy to lead our program…it will be interesting to see if he can lead this team to success playing a different system than what he’s wanted the past few years.

I don’t know if Corhen is the type of rebounder Jamie would have wanted…but I do wonder if this team will look more like a Jamie team, old and physical, albeit with what appears to be better FT shooters.
Yeah, they will have guys like Wanny, going back Jaron Brown, versitile, tough.

But, Jamie was like the hyper controlling mom on these guys offensively, and his evalution of guys didn't greatly value the ability to put the ball in the basket.

Posting that, we will see the same basic HCJC offense, with freedom for guys in the context of how they set things up for advantagous positions to put them in.

So, I think we might see some JD defense and toughness, but not the constrained offensive play.

But, Jamie was like the hyper controlling mom on these guys offensively, and his evalution of guys didn't greatly value the ability to put the ball in the basket.

Posting that, we will see the same basic HCJC offense, with freedom for guys in the context of how they set things up for advantagous positions to put them in.

So, I think we might see some JD defense and toughness, but not the constrained offensive play.
I think that’s it. I think they trust their analytic-driven approach to spacing and running their little actions that they’re confident that they can generate what they want to generate on the offensive end, especially if you’re good enough and athletic enough to be a group of hammers on defense.

I think if you add Thiero, this is probably the kind of rugged, athletic, but still offensively capable team that Capel’s always wanted to have. I think he’s always wanted to be Houston, more or less. I don’t think any of the guys on this team (minus maybe the twins) would really look out of place on Houston’s roster…and, in one case, was actually on that roster.

I think that’s it. I think they trust their analytic-driven approach to spacing and running their little actions that they’re confident that they can generate what they want to generate on the offensive end, especially if you’re good enough and athletic enough to be a group of hammers on defense.

I think if you add Thiero, this is probably the kind of rugged, athletic, but still offensively capable team that Capel’s always wanted to have. I think he’s always wanted to be Houston, more or less. I don’t think any of the guys on this team (minus maybe the twins) would really look out of place on Houston’s roster…and, in one case, was actually on that roster.
I think it is easy to get excited about what Pitt might be next season and I am, but

We did lose both Hinson and Carrington. They were our two best players.

The players we are bringing in did not contribute to their teams at that level.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

Spot on Jeff, Great post H2P!!!

I will always hold JD in high regard for what he did for us as a program etc. He's a class act that was a huge part of the glory days of Pitt basketball. H2P

So is it safe to assume this ship has sailed? I seen the announcement about the twins returning and wondered was there a correlation between them and him.

Why the no with a question mark? That's rather ambiguous. I poses more questions than answers.
The deadline to enter portal is today, hence twins formally announcing they are back. It’s interesting/sort of impressive that no one else entered other than Will and Fede. I guess Kante was sole player to not formally announce but so many vids of him via Pitt mbb that it was clear he was returning. But instead of being shown/bolting for the door, I guess it is good Capel has players that are either 1) happy in system, 2) happy being end of bench role players (e.g., Barnes, JDG), or players that are willing to fight for minutes and show their worth (e.g., Corhen vs GDG vs Kante). Theiro to Pitt seems likely. He left Uk before Cal left. UNC can certainly play a role, but he will get the minutes he wants at Pitt and sounds like family factor a role as well.

So is it safe to assume this ship has sailed? I seen the announcement about the twins returning and wondered was there a correlation between them and him.

No. My guess is that they are in contract negotiations and A412 is trying to figure out if they can meet his price......for the use of his name and image for marketing purposes of course.

He announced last time on his bday/Mother’s Day. Maybe he does the same. I wouldn’t worry yet.

The deadline to enter portal is today, hence twins formally announcing they are back. It’s interesting/sort of impressive that no one else entered other than Will and Fede. I guess Kante was sole player to not formally announce but so many vids of him via Pitt mbb that it was clear he was returning. But instead of being shown/bolting for the door, I guess it is good Capel has players that are either 1) happy in system, 2) happy being end of bench role players (e.g., Barnes, JDG), or players that are willing to fight for minutes and show their worth (e.g., Corhen vs GDG vs Kante). Theiro to Pitt seems likely. He left Uk before Cal left. UNC can certainly play a role, but he will get the minutes he wants at Pitt and sounds like family factor a role as well.

I'm assuming you put Barnes in that category because he accepted a redshirt last season, but he's not content with end of bench. He's going to compete, he's worked on his strength and most importantly - he can shoot.

No. My guess is that they are in contract negotiations and A412 is trying to figure out if they can meet his price......for the use of his name and image for marketing purposes of course.
Or he's coming here and just trying to squeeze as much NIL as he can before announcing.

I'm assuming you put Barnes in that category because he accepted a redshirt last season, but he's not content with end of bench. He's going to compete, he's worked on his strength and most importantly - he can shoot.
Yep. Assuming he is end of bench until he proves otherwise. But I like he is willing to stick and compete and prove he belongs.

Pitts only chance is how much PT can he get and whether PT trumps money for him .

I read that Cal has a 5 million dollar NIL fund at his disposal .

Reactions: Scasten17
Pitts only chance is how much PT can he get and whether PT trumps money for him .

I read that Cal has a 5 million dollar NIL fund at his disposal .

Right. Kansas was the highest last year at $4 million. So Arkansas could have the highest payroll this season. If Thiero can get like $750K, he isnt going to come to Pitt for 300K or 400K. Maybe if we can get within 50K he chooses us for a bigger role on the team. But I doubt we will be able to get close.

They already do a 50/50 raffle at all the conference home games, just like they do at all the football home games.
It was a joke. The point being, it’s pissing in the wind in terms of fundraising.

You either have some wealthy sports crazed donors who will write very large checks, or you have nothing.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
Your guess?? You have no info, no facts as usuaual.. My guess your knowledge rate is .000001. Keep up the pathetic work. I'm sure your proud you were once right.
Overreaction on your part. Often SMF does shoot off his mouth trying to make
facts out of outlandish opinions. This is one time where he says "my guess." He's
clearly stating that this time it's an opinion....cut him some slack.

So around the same he had last yr at KY and they did squat!
I think it finally has sunk in for Cal , that while recruiting the very best high school talent worked in the past you need guys with experience who’ve proven that can win at the collegiate level if you want to succeed in todays game .

Isn’t it nice to have that level of support.

I think it finally has sunk in for Cal , that while recruiting the very best high school talent worked in the past you need guys with experience who’ve proven that can win at the collegiate level if you want to succeed in todays game .

Isn’t it nice to have that level of support.
KY had 9 portal transfers in and they did squat

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT