ADVERTISEMENT

Pro/Rel coming to CFB? Barnes says maybe?

Oregon State and Washington State are both good this year. I think I read this is their first ever matchup with both teams ranked. So being biased now, Barnes wants a merit-based pro/rel system. It obviously will never happen. No need for further discussion. How does Barnes still have a job? Its not his fault the conference crumbled but he played a part in their bad TV decisions just by being present

grasping at straws
Probably. I didn’t even read the espn article, but it would make sense for the Indiana’s, Northwestern’s, Miss St and Vanderbilt’s of the CFB world not have the security of playing in the big time every year, while teams from the ACC or B1G not being shut out from the big time.

This model would have been worthy to discuss in the 90s before all of the expansion and media rights deals started. There is no way they can negotiate this with all of the media rights money currently. Furthermore, with the scheduling challenges that exists already, how would the system support it? European leagues use it to ensure the most competitive teams are playing each other. As long as schools are able to schedule fcs and non-power 4 schools, the model no longer works.

maybe they see TV value in there being games at the end of the year where promotion or relegation is decided
That is a good point. Relegation battles can be just as intriguing. It would make most games carry weight instead of just the ones pitting top teams. And more games carrying weight means more eyes and better tv deals.

Barnes continues to be clown shoes
Doesn’t work since every team doesn’t play every other team , he’ll not even in conference

Barnes relegated pitt hoops to purgatory

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Scott Barnes: Hey guys, I really think we should consider promotion and relegation in college football!

People who actually make the decisions: Yeah, sure Scott, we'll get right on that.

That is a good point. Relegation battles can be just as intriguing. It would make most games carry weight instead of just the ones pitting top teams. And more games carrying weight means more eyes and better tv deals.
Plus, American college football is a lot like the top European soccer leagues, where the same very few teams win the championship over and over and over and the rest just fight to avoid being relegated :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT