ADVERTISEMENT

Rank these in order of your excitement

Just my opinion but it’s really weird to see the way you all are talking/feeling about Pitt football.

I mean, Pitt is and has been a solid program. Pretty mediocre but you can expect 6 to 8 wins yearly.

I get it, we had a 3-9 season. A disgrace. It was pathetic.

But guess what? We also had a pathetically bad offense, and the whole offensive staff and QB is gone.

2024 preseason win total from Vegas?

Which is pretty much predicting (with a ton of unknowns) right back to our usual mediocrity.

So I get it if you’re tapped out just because of the current landscape of college sports or whatever.

But there’s this weird sense of apathy and doom about Pitt football that I don’t totally understand. If you’re only interested when they have a CFP chance… then of course you’re not excited. But you shouldn’t be a Pitt fan.

To me, this season is pretty damn exciting because you can make a realistic case for anything from 4-8 to 8-4 and I’d believe it. Even 3-9 and 9-3 seem possible.

Brand new, drastic OC change. New Qb.

Just seems odd that Pitt football fans feel so entitled and dramatic.

JMO

Who the TF is being dramatic?

We got asked a question, answered it, and because we don't share the same opinion you do we have a personal defect?

you sound entitled, not us.

Reactions: FireballZ

We got asked a question, answered it, and because we don't share the same opinion you do we have a personal defect?

So entitled with my 3 club seats and gold parking !

The guys who played hockey when I was in high school were absolutely the last picks in gym class. None of them were the least bit talented at any other sport.

So I agree - If the 90% of guys who were better than them in football, basketball, etc. chose to play hockey, then I'm guessing they would fall back into the same low tier in that sport as well. It's a sport that doesn't attract the best of the best in this country.

For me, they were then 2nd to last pick. The last pick were still the band/Magic cards kids. The hockey kids had a few mid-level athletes but also did seem to have more nerdish and like WWEish kids than the others.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79

lol - have a good day my man.

Pitt football - 8-4. I’ll quote this post in December

But the truth is there are people playing football and basketball who would suck at soccer, it's just the stupid 'Muricans who think it's easy.

There are probably more "last pick in gym class" kids on the football teams because they dont cut so the unathletic fat kids can at least stand on the sideline and be part of the team.

But the truth is there are people playing football and basketball who would suck at soccer, it's just the stupid 'Muricans who think it's easy.
Wrong. The football teams in most American high schools would destroy the soccer teams in soccer. No one cares how easy it is, the popularity of the sport drives the players to football basketball baseball, not soccer, it has nothing to do with easy.

PS American soccer is pretty lousy on the Men's side anyway.

Wrong. The football teams in most American high schools would destroy the soccer teams in soccer. No one cares how easy it is, the popularity of the sport drives the players to football basketball baseball, not soccer, it has nothing to do with easy.

Bahahaha....I just thought about this and it's true at my daughter's school. Actually, the girls soccer team probably whips them, straight up. It's like three sheltered home school kids, a goofy ginger kid that is always hurt, six chubby kids that are afraid to play football, and a bunch of kids that look really awkward when they run. There is that one kid who is kind of decent and would probably be okay on a good club team but he's stuck with this mess and will score a goal a game just because most of the rest of the schools they play are sort of in the same boat. It was so bad that the boys coach quit and jumped over to the girls team when the position opened.

Reactions: Parkview57

That's really fccking STUPID, the soccer players would destroy the football players in soccer it wouldn't be close, and the basketball players by double figures, it wouldn't be close :) :) :)

You still have to know how to play soccer, having the faster or stronger team won't win if they don't know how to play.

Last edited:
Bahahaha....I just thought about this and it's true at my daughter's school. Actually, the girls soccer team probably whips them, straight up. It's like three sheltered home school kids, a goofy ginger kid that is always hurt, six chubby kids that are afraid to play football, and a bunch of kids that look really awkward when they run. There is that one kid who is kind of decent and would probably be okay on a good club team but he's stuck with this mess and will score a goal a game just because most of the rest of the schools they play are sort of in the same boat. It was so bad that the boys coach quit and jumped over to the girls team when the position opened.
What school is that?

It probably depends on where you live, in the Baltimore area, no team of football players is beating a high school soccer team, not even close. Some schools soccer is the bigger sport.

Last edited:
I like the penguins -
But, I’m not watching every game and honestly will just catch highlights until the final stretch towards playoffs .
Also why I don’t watch baseball .
I’m like this with every sport nowadays. It’s rare I watch a full game of anything unless it is just background noise. Probably the league I watch most now is the NFL, but that has a lot to do with the relatively short season and the fact that the games are mostly on Sundays when I can watch.

The level of ignorance on this board as it pertains to the athletic ability of soccer players is actually quite impressive. I’m cool if you don’t like the sport. I think it’s dumb that people care what other people like or dislike. But to deny their athletic ability is just ignorant.

What school is that?

It probably depends on where you live, in the Baltimore area, no team of football players is beating a high school soccer team, not even close. Some schools soccer is the bigger sport.

I don't think anyone is suggesting 11 (or whatever the number is) guys who have never kicked a ball before would beat 11 soccer players at the high school level. But if all 22 guys started playing at the same age and devoted the same amount of time to it, well, that's another story.

The level of ignorance on this board as it pertains to the athletic ability of soccer players is actually quite impressive. I’m cool if you don’t like the sport. I think it’s dumb that people care what other people like or dislike. But to deny their athletic ability is just ignorant.
Those idiots making these comments think it's just a matter of kick and chase and having a few faster or stronger guys will win because in their mind there are no soccer specific skills, they're so stupid they actually think NFL WRs could be good enough to play pro soccer if they can run fast :)

I don't think anyone is suggesting 11 (or whatever the number is) guys who have never kicked a ball before would beat 11 soccer players at the high school level. But if all 22 guys started playing at the same age and devoted the same amount of time to it, well, that's another story.
And even if that was the case, a lot of the current soccer players would still be better than the football athletes-it's not only about being fast or strong. So, then you agree that the current soccer players who have been playing the game would beat the football players ?

And even if that was the case, a lot of the current soccer players would still be better than the football athletes-it's not only about being fast or strong. So, then you agree that the current soccer players who have been playing the game would beat the football players ?

Are we talking about just throwing football players out there who have never kicked a ball and don't even know the rules, or do they at least get a week or more to brush up on all that?

I would think that a good high school soccer team would beat the Steelers at soccer.

Are we talking about just throwing football players out there who have never kicked a ball
Not really I think a lot of the skill kids have played some youth soccer, its just athletes tend to play the popular sports in high school,many have played some. 79 is really out of touch, he has no idea how much better the football , basketball and baseball males are than most (not all of course) of soccer kids .

But to deny their athletic ability is just ignorant.
I understand if you are talking about 6A or maybe 5A schools, but in these smaller schools 4A-1A which make up 67% of schools in PA, there are simply not that many really good athletes and the three majors dominate the numbers. I am not trying to denigrate anyone's athletic ability BTW.

Pirates. Enjoying them being competitive and playing games that matter for the first time in over a decade

Pitt FB. Looking forward to seeing the offense under Bell and the defense rebounding

Pitt Hoops. Only because they don’t start until baseball is over and Pitt football will be near completion. Pitt hoops really doesn’t get interesting until the conference games start. But I’m reallly looking forward to seeing how this programs continues to improve
Ok. Cross the Pirates off the list. Four soul crushing losses in over a week totally eliminated any enjoyment associated with the pirates.

Exactly-

I hope they're 8-4. Like Souf I have season tickets. I just stated an opinion that I wasn't as excited as usual.

So do I?

I guess I just don’t really see what makes this Pitt football season less intriguing than 90% of the other Pitt football seasons besides we were 3-9 last year.

I also don’t see the harm in being excited that it’s football season and we can all bitch and be depressed in late September if need be

Proof of the lack of good male athletes choosing soccer.

In a world tournament how would
Major League All star teams, All Pro football teams, and the NBA all stars fair against the world?

Here is how men's soccer has fared, (Is 1930 relevant?)
USA Mens soccer RESULTS

So do I?

I guess I just don’t really see what makes this Pitt football season less intriguing than 90% of the other Pitt football seasons besides we were 3-9 last year.

I also don’t see the harm in being excited that it’s football season and we can all bitch and be depressed in late September if need be

Well, let's see: the receivers sucked last season, and we lost our best one. Our QB is last season's 3rd stringer. The offense, which wasn't good last season, lost two guys to the draft and doesn't really appear to have significantly upgraded anywhere (I get it: "Anyone is better than Jurkovec.")

Our best three defensive linemen, or thereabouts, were paid to go play elsewhere. People understand that if the current young guys flash there's a good chance they'll be gone, too.

Anyone with an ounce of objectivity - including the guys who actually make a livelihood out of it - can see that this roster is deficient. Thus, the line is at 5.5 (yes, that is lower than usual) even with two freebies.

Our conference is in peril.

College football is getting a bit silly as a whole.

So, no - this isn't like 90% of our seasons. Do you think this team has never had any expectations? A few people were picking us as a dark horse playoff team in 2022. Pitt fans were thrilled when Pickett said he was coming back in 2021, and the majority of this board predicted ten or more wins. In 2020, some people were predicting one of the better defenses in Pitt history.

I don't know why you think people are totally out of line in their assessments with where the talent level is on this team right now.

I have little hope for Pitt football this season or moving forward.

Last season was terrible.
They lost a lot of good players off of a bad team.
Implementation of an entire new offense will take time.
Nothing about the direction college football is going is advantageous to Pitt.
The ACC will die and Pitt isn’t getting into the Big 2.
Even if they did they would be Mississippi State at best.
Narduzzi is stuck here because of his contract. He has no incentive to improve.

There just isn’t a lot to be excited about.

I played football, basketball, and baseball growing up. Hockey was an afterthought. There were hardly any ice rinks in the area and very few kids played it. I liked Mario, but just could never get into the sport and I’d much rather spend my time following the other 3 sports.
OK. But I mean, the Pens were the cities most dominant team over the last 35 years. I guess people like losers.

Yeah that is the way I feel. Really it sucks, because usually this time of year I am completely excited about the upcoming season. But it goes beyond Pitt. I mean, I feel college football is a farce. The Pac 12 was the best conference top to bottom last year, and it is gone. The Big East in those 2000-2003 timeframe (I feel) was the best overall conference top to bottom, and it is gone.

It has strictly become about money. And so many of you used to say how much you like college football over pros because it is about the love of the game. Never has the NFL been so overly disruptive and overt about just being complete cash grabs as college football has.

Simply that’s not true.
Hell, playing zero soccer ever - I played intramural with a bunch of soccer players on defense .

Knowing how to position to cut off lanes and spacing are inherent skills to football and especially basketball

Reactions: Parkview57
Simply that’s not true.
Hell, playing zero soccer ever - I played intramural with a bunch of soccer players on defense .

Knowing how to position to cut off lanes and spacing are inherent skills to football and especially basketball
Exactly. Never played soccer, but played soccer in college intramurals. (Hey it was the 80's, soccer really was not that big yet) I was athletic enough, but weird things like having to have both feet on the ground on a throw in was new to me. But hockey and basketball have skills that definitely are transferrable. Defense keeping the guy in front of you. Offense (and defense) moving without the ball. Going to open space. Those are all translatable to those other sports.

If they implement that salary cap and then start to regulate these NIL deals I'll have hope.

I mean, I do think it would be possible for Pitt to have a much better team now even with all the disadvantages. The problem is once you get mired in this transfer game it can be difficult to get out of (see: Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, etc.). The team isn't very good so, instead of stying to make it better, guys just keep jumping ship.

Like, now that we're back to recruiting full classes, things would probably be fine again in a few years if the young guys stayed and matured here and then were the predominant starters as upperclassmen. But once it becomes en vogue to just split, good luck fixing that.

I will ask this, though: WTF are we doing at QB? The recruiting there has sucked.

So do I?

I didn't attack you for being excited. I'm not depressed I am not excited. I just answered a question.

Reactions: pittjas
Well, let's see: the receivers sucked last season, and we lost our best one. Our QB is last season's 3rd stringer. The offense, which wasn't good last season, lost two guys to the draft and doesn't really appear to have significantly upgraded anywhere (I get it: "Anyone is better than Jurkovec.")

Our best three defensive linemen, or thereabouts, were paid to go play elsewhere. People understand that if the current young guys flash there's a good chance they'll be gone, too.

I was listening to Peak’s latest mailbag episode.
And one of the questions was: which player would be the hardest to replace this upcoming season if they went down?

And Peak was talking about how it was a really good question and there wasn’t one that stood out.

And that kind of summed up the upcoming season. None of them standout because it looks like largely a roster of JAGs. There isn’t anybody special. So what difference would it matter if any one particular player went down? It’s just a bunch of mid across the board.

And one of the questions was: which player would be the hardest to replace this upcoming season if they went down?

And Peak was talking about how it was a really good question and there wasn’t one that stood out.

And that kind of summed up the upcoming season. None of them standout because it looks like largely a roster of JAGs. There isn’t anybody special. So what difference would it matter if any one particular player went down? It’s just a bunch of mid across the board.
Yeah - this season can be ugly .
I’ll be there cheering and hoping for the best , anyway

This is a team coming off of 3 wins. The talent might be lacking

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT