ADVERTISEMENT

RE: Coaching critiques

While I am slightly encouraged by Capel doing his best coaching job since the first 5-6 games of his tenure (if you recall—the STL win and the narrow Iowa loss), there’s nothing that he could do this year short of a miraculous NCAAT appearance that gives me any interest in seeing him back next year. Even with that, we can’t make the mistake Georgetown made where they kept Ewing because of a lucky 4-day Big East tourney title run.

Ryan Odom or bust.

Actually, Pitt's best chance is to win the ACCT. We could something like 11-9, get a 6 seed, get a 1st Round bye. Beat the 11, beat the 3, maybe the 2 gets upset, and maybe the 1 isnt there when we get to the Final.

Not really impossible. 13-7 would do it, especially with a win or 2 in ACCT.

But that is also asking a lot. But you never know.

To make it at 13-7, we will need a bare minimum of 2 wins over Duke/UNC/UVa. If we're 20-11 and literally have no wins over NCAAT teams or maybe just one, there's no shot. Would probably need to reach the ACCT Final and be 23-12. The ACC is just too weak.

No, just quasi-confused.

From a competitive standpoint, do you guys disagree that the ACC (minus Duke/UVa/UNC) is roughly equal to the MWC, A10, or American? I know you say you just cant take them out. Well, its a 15 team, 20 game league. Lets take them out for hypothetical purposes. The 12 team "league within a league" is the MWC

From a competitive standpoint, do you guys disagree that the ACC (minus Duke/UVa/UNC) is roughly equal to the MWC, A10, or American? I know you say you just cant take them out. Well, its a 15 team, 20 game league. Lets take them out for hypothetical purposes. The 12 team "league within a league" is the MWC

ACC is 6th of 6 of the P6. It’s better than the rest of the leagues.

No reason to overcomplicate things by pretending certain teams in the league aren’t in it or whatever - it’s that simple.

Remember when @Sean Miller Fan claimed a mediocre Big 19 was the greatest conference ever?

Right up there with his misplaced love for Harley that he won’t acknowledge.

No reason to overcomplicate things by pretending certain teams in the league aren’t in it or whatever - it’s that simple.

Its not overcomplicating it. Its a valid point. Not just this year, but in most years Duke, UNC, and UVa will be going to the NCAA Tournament and garner high seeds. There are 12 other teams in the league, which is like a league within a league. These teams are fighting each other for 1-2 NCAA bids. You realize this isnt so different than the MWC, American, and A10, correct?

Its not overcomplicating it. Its a valid point. Not just this year, but in most years Duke, UNC, and UVa will be going to the NCAA Tournament and garner high seeds. There are 12 other teams in the league, which is like a league within a league. These teams are fighting each other for 1-2 NCAA bids. You realize this isnt so different than the MWC, American, and A10, correct?

No lol.

It’s just a down cycle. Louisville will be Louisville again soon, even if they have to hire Payne after this year. NC State will get Pitino or something like that. Florida St isn’t going to be 1-9 most years. Syracuse is still Syracuse.

You’re being dramatic.

For hypothetical purposes, let's take the top teams out of every conference in every sport and then compare them to lesser conferences. That would be fun.

For hypothetical purposes, let's take the top teams out of every conference in every sport and then compare them to lesser conferences. That would be fun.

OK, lets do that. Take out the blue bloods or near blue bloods (UVa, Az, Nova, MSU, etc) out of the P6 leagues and lets compare.

No lol.

It’s just a down cycle. Louisville will be Louisville again soon, even if they have to hire Payne after this year. NC State will get Pitino or something like that. Florida St isn’t going to be 1-9 most years. Syracuse is still Syracuse.

You’re being dramatic.

Maybe but I am saying currently. We are in the A10 + Duke, UVa, UNC

The ACC is better than the PAC-12. I do think SMF was correct to early identify how the SEC could make in-roads in ACC country by spending more on coaches but the PAC has been pretty bad year after year, to the extent I mentioned above that sometimes they have gotten less bids than the Mountain West or AAC.

ok and if you take out Michigan, OSU, Penn St of the B10 football this year, that conference is PATHETIC. What’s your point exactly?

Correct. Its basically a mid-major/high major league within a league + OSU/Mich/PSU. My point is you cant make the NCAAT out of the ACC. The league within a league is too weak.

We just got the better of the Big 10 in head to head matchups.

Reactions: JS School
Awesome. We also have the 2nd worst OOC record behind the P12 (P6). But make sure you tell the committee about the ACC/B10 challenge results when they put in 9 B10 teams and 4 ACC.

Awesome. We also have the 2nd worst OOC record behind the P12 (P6). But make sure you tell the committee about the ACC/B10 challenge results when they put in 9 B10 teams and 4 ACC.
How many times has the ACC only had 4 teams selected since Pitt was a full-time member?

How many times has the ACC only had 4 teams selected since Pitt was a full-time member?

It would have been last year had VT not won the ACC. Only 3 teams from the 12 team league within a league made it. This year, there will be 4 teams in and 1 out of the bottom 12.

ok and if you take out Michigan, OSU, Penn St of the B10 football this year, that conference is PATHETIC. What’s your point exactly?
I was going to post the same thing.

In the 70s everyone was saying how tough the AFC Central was. But if you took out the Steelers and Oilers, it would have been one of the weakest divisions in the NFL. Nobody ever thinks about that. Except maybe SMF.

Of course in year 5 with very little joy to date, every game is a referendum on Capel. As someone who has been critical of the Capel era, I didn’t think this one was on him last night. But I’ll give 3 good things and 3 bad things I think I see from the actual on court coaching aspect of this game and how it could translate beyond.

Good:
1. Everyone knows Capel let’s his players play free. Until this year, it didn’t work all that well because they hadn’t had shooters. Now that guys are sprinting to spots in transition and taking and making wide open 3’s, the offense and its flow are translating at a higher rate. This should be something good to continue.

2. The 1-2-2 3/4 court zone. It disrupted their flow and got some turnovers and when it didn’t took about 12-13 seconds for Vandy to get into into any sort of offense. With FF at the back end, you can gamble a bit more and stay in it a bit longer. If Hugley were ever to get in shape, he could be a gambler for steals in the back. I’d like to see it stay as a staple off FT regardless of make or miss. Miss is even better because they will have to hand it to a guard then set up their press break and it will take 2-3 seconds longer to break.

3. The end of game coaching was good. They played loose, they played aggressive, drew up a nice set in a timeout and took a late lead. You can’t really blame the foul on the end on Capel. Just a flukey, unlucky mistake from a guy who played a terrific game otherwise.

Bad:
1. The obvious. Playing the ineffective Hugley way too much. The key stretch that he was in when FF should’ve been in was after the under 8 in the second half. Inexcusable. FF was + 13 and Hugley was -12. Or +12 and -13. Either way, the point is you simply cannot play Hugley more at this juncture. And the time has come and passed for him to figure it out in game. He needs to play less, plain and simple.

2. The offensive sets aren’t conducive to get Hugley going either. Forcing him into decisions at the 3 point line leads him to believe he’s a 3 point shooter, getting bad fouls with his body, or pick and rolling which is not his strong suit. And the other main set where he gets it and dribble hands off isn’t much better as he just does not look comfortable at this juncture. FF has to be the pick and roll guy. Catching lobs and O boards should be his only shot to score. I guess this could’ve been 1B

3. This really could be labeled 1C. I absolutely cannot stand switching DHO and screens with Hugley. He cannot guard bigs, let alone guards. And the same can be said for FF. I loved the way Vandy played our ball screens. The effort really threw us off.
The other thing about the switching onto guards with our bigs and Vice versa is it puts Hugley and FF in bad rebounding position. We saw how that worked out.

Really minor tweaks could be made to have a mildly successful season and a possible NIT berth. It will be almost impossible for NCAA with the OOC record.
My issue is I don’t think Eliot or Nelly can play much better than they did last night. Burton could have but I think you saw close to our ceiling last night.

My issue is I don’t think Eliot or Nelly can play much better than they did last night. Burton could have but I think you saw close to our ceiling last night.
Nah /
Nike is usually better and frankly we know hopefully Hugley can actually not be totally worthless

I was going to post the same thing.

In the 70s everyone was saying how tough the AFC Central was. But if you took out the Steelers and Oilers, it would have been one of the weakest divisions in the NFL. Nobody ever thinks about that. Except maybe SMF.

You are comparing 5 team division with a 15 team division. The ACC has a 12 team league within league which is God awful. A 1 bid league.

You are comparing 5 team division with a 15 team division. The ACC has a 12 team league within league which is God awful. A 1 bid league.
This is so dumb. Why are you like this?
There's 15 teams in the league. Do you know how bad it is to only get 5 or 6 teams in? And this year, it will be 4.
i will bet you literally any amount of $ you want 5 or more teams make the NCAA tournament from the ACC. You can take 4 or less. Deal? No, of course not. Because like everything else you say, you think if you repeat it enough times you can come back and say you were right or people will forget. Please I will give you my cashapp, venmo, PayPal whatever to arrange payments.

This is so dumb. Why are you like this?

i will bet you literally any amount of $ you want 5 or more teams make the NCAA tournament from the ACC. You can take 4 or less. Deal? No, of course not. Because like everything else you say, you think if you repeat it enough times you can come back and say you were right or people will forget. Please I will give you my cashapp, venmo, PayPal whatever to arrange payments.
I think we should all get in on this action!

There were only 4 teams in that division. Which should make it even more obvious that it was sarcasm. Yet you call PittPharm a moron. Keep telling us how smart you are, but don't insult other people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT