ADVERTISEMENT

Real Test for Rudy and the offense

tomlin has a much better image from outsiders than people (And media)_ who closely follow the team..

i like the Jeff Fisher comparison. i compare him to Marvin Lewis too, that's not an insult or a compliment really. He just ran his course in Cincy and well so has Tomlin..

if he does hire someone good outside of the organization as OC, i will probably get a slight feeling of encouragement but that will fade quickly im sure..
Jeff Fisher coached 21 years (ignoring first year when he only coached 6 games) and finished .500 or better 11 seasons, so he was basically batting .500 at finishing .500.
Tomlin's streak is both impressive and meaningless. No matter what he has been handed due to injuries, schedule, his own incompetent staff, he has been able to guide the team to a non-losing season. But that also hasn't gotten him much in terms of playoff success.
I would say Tomlin is more like John Harbaugh, but Harbaugh seems more open to change than Tomlin.

Yeah those 5 yard throws were impressive
He learned the 5-yard throws from watching Kenny refuse to let it go downfield and play it safe to protect the ball, because his only good stat is not throwing INTs, easy to do when 95% of your throws are super safe.

He learned the 5-yard throws from watching Kenny refuse to let it go downfield and play it safe to protect the ball, because his only good stat is not throwing INTs, easy to do when 95% of your throws are super safe.
Did you make that observation from your couch or from being in the stands numb nuts?

Best QB play in years?

Hand off, near pick , a bunch of 5 yarders, multiple fumbles and one huge YAC for a TD?

Best QB play in years??

Perspective… he barely survived because of YAC and it was a hair away from putting in Pickett 2nd half

They played against backups for crissakes
So he played lie Kenny but a better completion percentage

Buffalo beat Dallas. They beat Miami last night. They are playing well. It’s hard to judge the Steelers because they played two bad defenses and the Ravens who were roster resting. I like Buffalo to beat the Steelers by 14 points and that would happen if the starting QB was Big Ben in his prime. They have a stout team on both sides of the ball and they have an actual home field advantage.

No it's just reality, unlike many of you, I'm not here to cheerlead for Kenny just because he went to Pitt.
How exactly do you regularly see who is open down the field from your couch? That is one of the bigger differences of being at the game as opposed to your couch. Rudolph should continue starting because he has the hot hand, but you are fool if you think guys were consistently open downfield and KP just decided to check it down.

Reactions: FireballZ
Or maybe it’s just the Steelers offense when they play a decent team

yep, accurate passes in stride. again, something we havent seen in quite some time..

i know i know, kenny went to pitt, he's great, it wasnt his fault, matt canada,
Oh come on Z. Thats bullshit and you know it. You guys act like KP never threw an accurate ball.

Criticism of his bailing too soon is more than fair. But the dude was every bit as accurate at Rudy with less protection and Canada Dry calling the plays

Like I said this weekend will be the acid test. If Rudy plays well I’ll eat crow and admit it was KP holding the offense back. Question is will the KP haters admit that the Rudy Train was fools gold built on crappy defenses and a Ravens team that sat their starters and had nothing to play for ?

I’m sure Mark Madden aka Pitt 79 will come up with some lame excuse for Rudy’s poor performance should he have one

Vegas doesn’t think much of Mason’s chances. Highest line of any game this weekend including Green Bay at Dallas.

I love TJ, but to be fair, I think he has very specific impact and him being gone will not be as big of a difference as other players might be.

I am thinking Vegas really knows who Mason has performed against over last three games.

Tomlin will ride or die with Mason. Bringing Kenny in later would put his whole image in even more doubt. Unless Mason gets hurt, Kenny will be secured to the sideline.

Oh come on Z. Thats bullshit and you know it. You guys act like KP never threw an accurate ball.

Criticism of his bailing too soon is more than fair. But the dude was every bit as accurate at Rudy with less protection and Canada Dry calling the plays

Like I said this weekend will be the acid test. If Rudy plays well I’ll eat crow and admit it was KP holding the offense back. Question is will the KP haters admit that the Rudy Train was fools gold built on crappy defenses and a Ravens team that sat their starters and had nothing to play for ?

I’m sure Mark Madden aka Pitt 79 will come up with some lame excuse for Rudy’s poor performance should he have one
Rudolph could win 10 in a row and there will always be an excuse why we dont give him credit. bad defense, the run game is now playing well, blah blah.

come on, Pickett's success was against very bad teams too and no one said a word then. so we just are going to ignore Rudolph's 3 games of over 700 yards passing and blame it on weak defenses?

That doesnt count, the real test is against buffalo lol. and let me guess, if he wins then, we'll find another excuse and the real test on mason will be the next game..

we all love to talk about Pickett's late season run last year. lets look at that.. He beat a tyler huntley led ravens, dropped 13 points on a a 6-9 raiders, beat a 5-9 carolina team with sam darnold at qb, actually lost to a tyler huntly ravens team too, beat a 5 - 8 mariotta falcons team, and a 4- 7 matt ryan colts team..

it's just weird how beating bad teams doesnt count for Mason Rudolph but it's the key resume builder for Pickett..

This is a tough matchup for the Steelers. The Bills have an excellent receiver, a deep threat who will probably smoke the defense at least once, and two good tight ends, plus a running game that can get it done. Rudolph is going to have a better feel for the pass rush.

The Steelers like to keep games close, I just don't know if they can prevent the Bills from scoring without Watt and the injuries to the ILBs. Even if Allen throws 3 picks, he can put up 30 points. The offense will probably have to take some chances.

Rudolph could win 10 in a row and there will always be an excuse why we dont give him credit. bad defense, the run game is now playing well, blah blah.

come on, Pickett's success was against very bad teams too and no one said a word then. so we just are going to ignore Rudolph's 3 games of over 700 yards passing and blame it on weak defenses?

That doesnt count, the real test is against buffalo lol. and let me guess, if he wins then, we'll find another excuse and the real test on mason will be the next game..

we all love to talk about Pickett's late season run last year. lets look at that.. He beat a tyler huntley led ravens, dropped 13 points on a a 6-9 raiders, beat a 5-9 carolina team with sam darnold at qb, actually lost to a tyler huntly ravens team too, beat a 5 - 8 mariotta falcons team, and a 4- 7 matt ryan colts team..

it's just weird how beating bad teams doesnt count for Mason Rudolph but it's the key resume builder for Pickett..

And the haters forget that after Canada Dry left and they played a crappy Cinci team his stats were as good as Rudy’s without the TD due to drops Johnson. He was also playing well against st Louis.

Rudy’s game against the Ravens was mediocre.

Like I said I’ll give him props if he plays wel Saturday. But I doubt any of the KP haters will acknowledge that the great Rudy’s stats were built on cream puffs

And the haters forget that after Canada Dry left and they played a crappy Cinci team his stats were as good as Rudy’s without the TD due to drops Johnson. He was also playing well against st Louis.

Rudy’s game against the Ravens was mediocre.

Like I said I’ll give him props if he plays wel Saturday. But I doubt any of the KP haters will acknowledge that the great Rudy’s stats were built on cream puffs
I’m a KP fan believe it or not. Wish he could just stick in the pocket longer and not panic.

Got frustrated with him and it’s nice to see a qb hit sone shots downfield.

But not giving up on him and truly hoping he can salvage his career in Pgh under a real OC.

tomlin has a much better image from outsiders than people (And media)_ who closely follow the team..

i like the Jeff Fisher comparison. i compare him to Marvin Lewis too, that's not an insult or a compliment really. He just ran his course in Cincy and well so has Tomlin..

if he does hire someone good outside of the organization as OC, i will probably get a slight feeling of encouragement but that will fade quickly im sure..
There should be no comparison to Marvin Lewis. If Marvin Lewis coached here, he would’ve won a Super Bowl, and won more than one playoff game in a decade. Marvin Lewis had ownership problems to overcome. And by the time they overcame those issues and got a real GM and a real scouting department they decided to let him go. If Marvin Lewis were allowed to coach somewhere that had a good ownership group, he would win a couple playoff games.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

I have no thought that Rudolph is good or has a future as a solid NFL starter, but that doesn't make Kenny better. It's 2 separate issues. Saying Kenny has been bad is true, saying that is also not saying Rudolph is good, I totally admit Rudolph sucks and the bottom may fall out at any moment, that doesn't make Kenny better.

I have no thought that Rudolph is good or has a future as a solid NFL starter, but that doesn't make Kenny better. It's 2 separate issues. Saying Kenny has been bad is true, saying that is also not saying Rudolph is good, I totally admit Rudolph sucks and the bottom may fall out at any moment, that doesn't make Kenny better.
it's turned into a Kenny vs Mason discussion and one has to suck and one has to be good. it's frustrating. and the worst part, it's going to be the topic on local sports talk shows from now until next fall.

over and over and over and over

Reactions: Pitt79
it's turned into a Kenny vs Mason discussion and one has to suck and one has to be good. it's frustrating. and the worst part, it's going to be the topic on local sports talk shows from now until next fall.

What the truth is, neither of the two has been any better than mediocre.

And another irritating thing is the idea that there are Kenny Haters a secret cabal of Nitters and Hoopies working to undermine him even if it means the Steelers suffer because of it. and there are also Mason Haters who want Kenny to win the battle because he's from Pitt and are concerned more about Kenny's personal future than the Steelers team. Myself, I don't care about either one as a person or what school they went to, I just want what's best for the STEELERS TEAM.

Pitt79, what are your thoughts on Kenny Pickett?
So far, not very good at all, he abandons the pocket, seems to not see open receivers, has often enough missed wide open receivers, I also think they've pounded the idea "protect the ball" into his head to the point he won't cut loose many aggressive passes that could be a TD or big gainer just to avoid the INT at all cost.

I just want what's best for the STEELERS TEAM.
well then hope the latest rumors about Tomlin stepping down after the season are true then. mediocre mike not being our HC next year would be the best thing for the steelers team..

So far, not very good at all, he abandons the pocket, seems to not see open receivers, has often enough missed wide open receivers, I also think they've pounded the idea "protect the ball" into his head to the point he won't cut loose many aggressive passes that could be a TD or big gainer just to avoid the INT at all cost.
that's the formula for this roster to win. worked with rudolph last week, worked for Pickett most of the year. play conservative, dont turn ball over and make the other team drive the field to beat us..

you have PIckett or Rudolph or Mitch "cut loose" and go hard down field, you loose and you lose big time. it's how the roster is constructed... it's why mitch and his style was the kiss of death for us..

blame tomlin or colbert or khan the accountant on roster structure but asking Kenny to go nuts and play aggressive with this roster would be suicide..

well then hope the latest rumors about Tomlin stepping down after the season are true then. mediocre mike not being our HC next year would be the best thing for the steelers team..
I'm all for it, that would be a great change, the only problem is the dumb ass Rooneys won't DO THE RIGJHT THING and hire an offense first head coach to totally dump the play scared, weak Steelers Way offense.

that's the formula for this roster to win. worked with rudolph last week, worked for Pickett most of the year. play conservative, dont turn ball over and make the other team drive the field to beat us..

you have PIckett or Rudolph or Mitch "cut loose" and go hard down field, you loose and you lose big time. it's how the roster is constructed... it's why mitch and his style was the kiss of death for us..

blame tomlin or colbert or khan the accountant on roster structure but asking Kenny to go nuts and play aggressive with this roster would be suicide..
Then change the whole philosophy and roster, even accept losing years to rebuild it, and spend less on defense/more on offense, personally I don't want to watch this garbage anymore, 18 years of Ben cured me of being able to enjoy old school Stillers Football, it's disgusting to watch the impotence. Even with Ben, I feel like they were too conservative, Ben should have had years with 40+ TD passes, and more 5000-yard seasons than one, he had the ability, and they could have been putting up more points and TDs the entire game instead of waiting for the 4th quarter for Ben to lead a comeback.

Then change the whole philosophy and roster, even accept losing years to rebuild it, and spend less on defense/more on offense, personally I don't want to watch this garbage anymore, 18 years of Ben cured me of being able to enjoy old school Stillers Football, it's disgusting to watch the impotence. Even with Ben, I feel like they were too conservative, Ben should have had years with 40+ TD passes, and more 5000-yard seasons than one, he had the ability, and they could have been putting up more points and TDs the entire game instead of waiting for the 4th quarter for Ben to lead a comeback.
dont tell me, tell mediocre mike, his FCS caliber coordinators and the Rooney Rules ownership who's # 1 goal is meeting a diversity hire quota moreso than winning football games.

Reactions: Pitt79

Actually it’s more nuanced than that save for a few KP or Rudy Haters/Koolaide Drinkers

Most people have argued the following

1. The jury is out on KP give. The horrible OC he’s played under and the awful performance of the OL. No one who has supported KP has said he’s great or the sure fire long term solution. He did play better when Canada was fired and they added the rookie to LT.

2. Rudy has benefited from improved OL Play. A solid run game NO Canada and poor defenses. If he continues to play well this weekend then he deserves to be the starter moving into 2024

It’s mostly the people who have written KP off who use Rudys play as proof that KP sucks

dont tell me, tell mediocre mike, his FCS caliber coordinators and the Rooney Rules ownership who's # 1 goal is meeting a diversity hire quota moreso than winning football games.
That's why it's pretty hopeless, sad but true

1. The jury is out on KP give. The horrible OC he’s played under and the awful performance of the OL. No one who has supported KP has said he’s great or the sure fire long term solution. He did play better when Canada was fired and they added the rookie to LT.

2. Rudy has benefited from improved OL Play. A solid run game NO Canada and poor defenses. If he continues to play well this weekend then he deserves to be the starter moving into 2024

It’s mostly the people who have written KP off who use Rudys play as proof that KP sucks
i agree with #1 whole heartedly..

#2? Well i'd say that the run game and OL benefitted from having mason back there and being a threat to stay in the pocket and make a pass downfield.. i dont think you can over look that.

to believe that the OL just magically began to play in week 15 and it was pure coincidence that it just happened with Mason is kind of naive.

Ben should have had years with 40+ TD passes, and more 5000-yard seasons than one, he had the ability, and they could have been putting up more points and TDs the entire game instead of waiting for the 4th quarter for Ben to lead a comeback.

I also think they've pounded the idea "protect the ball" into his head to the point he won't cut loose many aggressive passes that could be a TD or big gainer just to avoid the INT at all cost.

Whoa. So Ben was limited by a shitty OC and offensive philosophy but KP wasn’t and stinks ?

Seems like you two are agreeing with me. The jury on KP is out until he has an OC that isn’t overly conservative and an OL that give him better protection. I’d add that having recievers who are more consistent and who up every play would help too

i agree with #1 whole heartedly..

#2? Well i'd say that the run game and OL benefitted from having mason back there and being a threat to stay in the pocket and make a pass downfield.. i dont think you can over look that.

to believe that the OL just magically began to play in week 15 and it was pure coincidence that it just happened with Mason is kind of naive.
What I’m saying is that Seattle’s run defense is garbage. It had nothing to do with Mason. Same with Cinci of course KP played well against Cinci too. Mason came back down to earth against a ravens team that had a pulse defensively (even though it was the JV team that had nothing at stake )

Eh, Chris Hoke is an idiot. At the same time, I don't want either Pickett or Rudolph to be our future. There's a seismic gap between those guys and the really good quarterbacks in this league.
How many really good QBs are there?

How’s Tua, Hurts and Lawrence been lately ?

He’ll even the best Qb hands down Mahomes has struggled this year with crappy WRs.

How many really good QBs are there?

How’s Tua, Hurts and Lawrence been lately ?

He’ll even the best Qb hands down Mahomes has struggled this year with crappy WRs.

See, this is what bugs me with Steeler fans defending Pickett. Nobody is saying those guys are All Pro-caliber all the time. They certainly have their struggles at times. But show me when Pickett won a Super Bowl. Show me when he won an MVP. Show me when he got to a Super Bowl. Show me when he dropped 70 on a team and threw for 4,600 yards in a season.

The problem with Pickett is that he NEVER flashes any of that stuff. If Ohtani hits .200 this year, that doesn't all of a sudden justify Henry Davis hitting .180.

Reactions: boseman7
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT