ADVERTISEMENT

Real Test for Rudy and the offense

Ben should have had years with 40+ TD passes, and more 5000-yard seasons than one, he had the ability, and they could have been putting up more points and TDs the entire game instead of waiting for the 4th quarter for Ben to lead a comeback.

I also think they've pounded the idea "protect the ball" into his head to the point he won't cut loose many aggressive passes that could be a TD or big gainer just to avoid the INT at all cost.

Whoa. So Ben was limited by a shitty OC and offensive philosophy but KP wasn’t and stinks ?

Seems like you two are agreeing with me. The jury on KP is out until he has an OC that isn’t overly conservative and an OL that give him better protection. I’d add that having recievers who are more consistent and who up every play would help too
But Ben still delivered big, a bad season for Ben was like 22 TDs and 3700 yards with Canada as a 40-year-old. That would seem miraculous for KP, those are monster numbers to KP.

See, this is what bugs me with Steeler fans defending Pickett. Nobody is saying those guys are All Pro-caliber all the time. They certainly have their struggles at times. But show me when Pickett won a Super Bowl. Show me when he won an MVP. Show me when he got to a Super Bowl. Show me when he dropped 70 on a team and threw for 4,600 yards in a season.

The problem with Pickett is that he NEVER flashes any of that stuff. If Ohtani hits .200 this year, that doesn't all of a sudden justify Henry Davis hitting .180.
That’s total bullshit. You don’t have the number of fourth quarter winning drives by not flashing anything

The point I was making is top notch Qbs are far and few between. There maybe 5 in the league

The Jury is out on KP. Hes had some flashes and shown some promise but at the same time the issues of bailing too soon he had in college before his senior year continue to be a problem limiting his ceiling

But Ben still delivered big, a bad season for Ben was like 22 TDs and 3700 yards with Canada as a 40-year-old. That would seem miraculous for KP, those are monster numbers to KP.
Ben was an experience HOFer. No one is saying KP is even close to having Ben’s talent especially at this stage. I think he could lead a team to a superbowl but the jury is still out on that. But the point is if the system limited Ben an experience HOF qb it surely has a big impact on a younger inexperienced less talented qb

How exactly do you regularly see who is open down the field from your couch? That is one of the bigger differences of being at the game as opposed to your couch. Rudolph should continue starting because he has the hot hand, but you are fool if you think guys were consistently open downfield and KP just decided to check it down.

I've only been to one game this year, but as you can see on the link, you don't have to attend to see what Kenny misses.

Ben should have had years with 40+ TD passes, and more 5000-yard seasons than one, he had the ability, and they could have been putting up more points and TDs the entire game instead of waiting for the 4th quarter for Ben to lead a comeback.

I also think they've pounded the idea "protect the ball" into his head to the point he won't cut loose many aggressive passes that could be a TD or big gainer just to avoid the INT at all cost.

Whoa. So Ben was limited by a shitty OC and offensive philosophy but KP wasn’t and stinks ?

Seems like you two are agreeing with me. The jury on KP is out until he has an OC that isn’t overly conservative and an OL that give him better protection. I’d add that having recievers who are more consistent and who up every play would help too
ben put up video game numbers the 2nd half of his career, no issues with the OC under him IMO until Canada.. AB in pittsburgh in a 6 year span had over 9,000 yards receiving, 120+ catches a season, ben was throwing for over 4k year in and year out, was consistently in top 3 for highest yards per attempt. Bell was putting up huge numbers, again, no complaints at all with our OC under Ben in the last 7-8 year of his career..

the Jury is out on KP, agree. not looking good after 2 years but he deserves one more chance to make it work here in year 3, at least compete for the job.

How many really good QBs are there?

How’s Tua, Hurts and Lawrence been lately ?

He’ll even the best Qb hands down Mahomes has struggled this year with crappy WRs.
I would take all of them over Kenny, would you?

What I’m saying is that Seattle’s run defense is garbage. It had nothing to do with Mason. Same with Cinci of course KP played well against Cinci too. Mason came back down to earth against a ravens team that had a pulse defensively (even though it was the JV team that had nothing at stake )
he was 18-20 in freezing rain. yes, very conservative play calling but deservedly so. is that coming back down to earth? PItt fans would be erecting a statue for Kenny if he went 18-20 with a 150 QB rating.. you guys talk about how great it is when kenny does it but when mason does, it's "coming back down to earth?"

christ almighty, the double standard on here is ridiculous. you are making me side with pitt79, you know how that makes me feel?

ben put up video game numbers the 2nd half of his career, no issues with the OC under him IMO until Canada.. AB in pittsburgh in a 6 year span had over 9,000 yards receiving, 120+ catches a season, ben was throwing for over 4k year in and year out, was consistently in top 3 for highest yards per attempt. Bell was putting up huge numbers, again, no complaints at all with our OC under Ben in the last 7-8 year of his career..

the Jury is out on KP, agree. not looking good after 2 years but he deserves one more chance to make it work here in year 3, at least compete for the job.
Ben was an HOFer who had some great weapons And yes with Canada and the loss of AB his performance suffered. As I said before been a numbers were awful through theee quarters when Canada was calling the plays. When he went hurry up magically his arm was better and his stats greatly improved.

To a lesser extent when the game is on the line in the fourth quarter and they have to throw out the Canada playbook KP has more often than not delivered. Now that’s not proof that he’s the long term solution but it is proof that he has some ability to be a championship qb. (Note don’t confuse that with a Great qb )

Y’all act as if KP hasn’t done anything to merit further consideration If that were the case why not just dump him now and cut your losses.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Ben was an HOFer who had some great weapons And yes with Canada and the loss of AB his performance suffered. As I said before been a numbers were awful through theee quarters when Canada was calling the plays. When he went hurry up magically his arm was better and his stats greatly improved.

To a lesser extent when the game is on the line in the fourth quarter and they have to throw out the Canada playbook KP has more often than not delivered. Now that’s not proof that he’s the long term solution but it is proof that he has some ability to be a championship qb. (Note don’t confuse that with a Great qb )

Y’all act as if KP hasn’t done anything to merit further consideration If that were the case why not just dump him now and cut your losses.
dude i literally agree with 95% of what you and FK are saying, we arent really disagreeing that much.

i just think you guys kind of have a double standard with Mason and Kenny, that's all. i think sub-consciously, many steeler fans on here kinda want Mason to fail, to make KP look better. it's human nature i guess.

No one says it, everyone says "they dont care who is qb, they want everyone to do well" but then a second later, kind of poo poo a 18 - 20 performance in a january rain storm when they'd be singing the praises if #8 did it.

But we pretty much all agree that we are all looking forward to Kenny coming back next year under a new OC and hopefully a better OL (aka, without Dan Moore).

That’s total bullshit. You don’t have the number of fourth quarter winning drives by not flashing anything

The point I was making is top notch Qbs are far and few between. There maybe 5 in the league

The Jury is out on KP. Hes had some flashes and shown some promise but at the same time the issues of bailing too soon he had in college before his senior year continue to be a problem limiting his ceiling

That's such a small sliver of the game at large, and it requires our defense to have us in a position so that Kenny Pickett's 16 points will be enough to win the game. It's just not a formula I want to rely on.

I'm fine with giving him another half season in a new system, but I'm just not impressed as of now. 24 starts, and the stats are there for everyone to see.

Reactions: Pitt79

He could have been doing it the whole time, the weak ass, play scared Steelers Way, limited him for years. For his career he averaged 23 TDs and 12 INTs, I don't mind the INTs, I think he would have less TDs if his goal was less INTs

he was 18-20 in freezing rain. yes, very conservative play calling but deservedly so. is that coming back down to earth? PItt fans would be erecting a statue for Kenny if he went 18-20 with a 150 QB rating.. you guys talk about how great it is when kenny does it but when mason does, it's "coming back down to earth?"

christ almighty, the double standard on here is ridiculous. you are making me side with pitt79, you know how that makes me feel?
That should feel good, it means you're trying to be objective,

One went 75 yards on a bad angle by a back up Safey. Take that away and he’s 17 for 19 and 75 yards. Dink and dunk

Again let’s talk after Saturday. If Rudy plays well I’ll admit he’s been the catalyst. If he stinks out the joint will you be able ti admit that his “great play” was mostly due to poor defenses ?

Speaking of double standards you guys are the ones daimissing KPs play against Cinci the week after Canada was fired but are ball washing Rudy for similar stats against the same team.

And again no one is claiming that Kps play has been great. Thats a red herring you guys throw out there

He could have been doing it the whole time, the weak ass, play scared Steelers Way, limited him for years. For his career he averaged 23 TDs and 12 INTs, I don't mind the INTs, I think he would have less TDs if his goal was less INTs

i've debunked your nonsense with this topic a million times, you refuse to accept reality..

i said good day..

None of them would do any better on this offense. Each has far more talent around them and have struggled
I totally disagree, they'd all do minimum DOUBLE what Kenny has produced, with the same offense and with Canada too.

Back to the original question, would you take them ahead of Kenny if you could?

One went 75 yards on a bad angle by a back up Safey. Take that away and he’s 17 for 19 and 75 yards. Dink and dunk

Again let’s talk after Saturday. If Rudy plays well I’ll admit he’s been the catalyst. If he stinks out the joint will you be able ti admit that his “great play” was mostly due to poor defenses ?

Speaking of double standards you guys are the ones daimissing KPs play against Cinci the week after Canada was fired but are ball washing Rudy for similar stats against the same team.

And again no one is claiming that Kps play has been great. Thats a red herring you guys throw out there
lol, ok, throw out the last 3 games and lets just use the bills game as our only source of data for him.

Funny that when Kenny played and won against bad teams with backup qbs, you guys were fine using that to support him.. i went thru his wins last year and how bad those teams were and often times, using back up qbs. no one ever used that against kenny though.

again, double standard. hey, you dont want mason to outshine kenny, i get it. just admit it. it's fine, i dont get why you guys hide from it.

Its beyond hilarious how you guys are criticizing Mason "dinking and dunking" when that is the epitome of Kenny's career here. 106 yards passing against cleveland, 126 yards against green bay, 160 yards against the titans, 114 yards against houston, but it's ok, it's Kenny, it's not his fault..

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
Rudolph did way better against Cincy, MR34-KP16, TWO TD passes, IN THE SAME GAME! Kenny's done that once in 24 games.

I totally disagree, they'd all do minimum DOUBLE what Kenny has produced, with the same offense and with Canada too.

Back to the original question, would you take them ahead of Kenny if you could?
No none of them is a clear upgrade. What did Tua do before he had a legit wr in a far more qb friendly offense. hurts before they had brown and smith? And what as Lawrence actually done ?

lol objective. KP stinks and the only reason the Steelers offense has performed better is because of the great Rudy
All the other players are the same, Rudolph is the only change. He's not great at all, I still think he sucks, but FACT IS he's outperformed Kenny.

No none of them is a clear upgrade. What did Tua do before he had a legit wr in a far more qb friendly offense. hurts before they had brown and smith? And what as Lawrence actually done ?
So Tua, Hurts and Lawrence aren't an upgrade over KP? what are you smoking with your blue- and gold-colored glasses on? ALL 3 are a clear upgrade.

lol, ok, throw out the last 3 games and lets just use the bills game as our only source of data for him.

Funny that when Kenny played and won against bad teams with backup qbs, you guys were fine using that to support him.. i went thru his wins last year and how bad those teams were and often times, using back up qbs. no one ever used that against kenny though.

again, double standard. hey, you dont want mason to outshine kenny, i get it. just admit it. it's fine, i dont get why you guys hide from it.

Its beyond hilarious how you guys are criticizing Mason "dinking and dunking" when that is the epitome of Kenny's career here. 106 yards passing against cleveland, 126 yards against green bay, 160 yards against the titans, 114 yards against houston, but it's ok, it's Kenny, it's not his fault..
Whose hiding. You keep distorting what I say to fit your narrative

The great Rudy couldnt beat out the duck yet his amazing play is what made Seattle fear his passing prowess and give up huge yards in the run game. Let’s competlely ignore the fact that Seattle’s run D is the worst in the league

it’s ok. I’ll man up and admit I was wrong if Rudy continues to play welll. Sounds like you’ll make up some excuse if Rudy bombs on Saturday to support the flawed argument that the improvement in the offense the last two weeks(it was back to the mean against the ravens JV team) was soley due to the great Rudy

All the other players are the same, Rudolph is the only change. He's not great at all, I still think he sucks, but FACT IS he's outperformed Kenny.
Yea seattles defense which really is the only game that stands out had nothing to do with the great Rudy having a great game

News flash all qbs miss open receives
Not a news flash, the point was you don't have to be at the game to find out he's missing wide open receivers consistently. Sorry, I didn't think I needed to make the point so obvious.

Whose hiding. You keep distorting what I say to fit your narrative

The great Rudy couldnt beat out the duck yet his amazing play is what made Seattle fear his passing prowess and give up huge yards in the run game. Let’s competlely ignore the fact that Seattle’s run D is the worst in the league

it’s ok. I’ll man up and admit I was wrong if Rudy continues to play welll. Sounds like you’ll make up some excuse if Rudy bombs on Saturday to support the flawed argument that the improvement in the offense the last two weeks(it was back to the mean against the ravens JV team) was soley due to the great Rudy
oh my lord you are impossible. now we are bringing up the great rudy losing out to the duck lol..

great objectivity there, you definitely are rooting for mason.

sticking with your logic, the great kenny couldnt beat out Mason who got beat out by Duck. what's that say about Kenny??

you are just as bad as Pitt79.. enjoy sitting around on sunday passively aggressively rooting for Mason to suck so it will make you feel better about kenny, sounds like you wont be alone with many on here going to be doing the same..

e

you will never admit it. lets face it, if he looks good then it will be because of some other reason and you'll make another excuse and then we'll have to see how he does in the 2nd rd of the playoffs to truly judge Mason..

at the same time, kenny was so good for beating juggernauts like the colts and raiders last year with 13-10 and 16-10 wins where he put up 175 yards passing..

please, just admit it, you want Mason to fail. you are frustrated that he is doing well i get it, it's no big deal. i'll be honest, i truly wanted Mitch to suck. Die hard steeler fan but i absolutely, without hesitation, wanted him to suck. there is nothing wrong with it, you want Kenny to be the starter and for that to happen, mason has to fail.

admit this without fear and you will feel sooo much better.

Last edited:
Not a news flash, the point was you don't have to be at the game to find out he's missing wide open receivers consistently. Sorry, I didn't think I needed to make the point so obvious.
Not a news flash but all QBs miss wide open receivers every game

you will never admit it. lets face it, if he looks good then it will be because of some other reason and you'll make another excuse and then we'll have to see how he does in the 2nd rd of the playoffs to truly judge Mason..

at the same time, kenny was so good for beating juggernauts like the colts and raiders last year with 13-10 and 16-10 wins where he put up 175 yards passing..

please, just admit it, you want Mason to fail. you are frustrated that he is doing well i get it, it's no big deal. i'll be honest, i truly wanted Mitch to suck. Die hard steeler fan but i absolutely, without hesitation, wanted him to suck. there is nothing wrong with it, you want Kenny to be the starter and for that to happen, mason has to fail.

admit this without fear and you will feel sooo much better.

I’m a man of my word. if Mason Plays well then I’ll admit that he clearly was the catalyst for the offense. No excuses. I have no skin in the game I’ve said that like Rudy and started a thread on what a stand up guy he is

Every argument I’ve made is factually supported

1. After Oh Canada was canned KPs performance was as good as Rudy’s who had the benefit of the back up OCs further tweaking the offense for two weeks

2. Rudy’s passing has nothing to do with the great run game against Seattle. They stink period

3. Rudy’s performance against the ravens JV team was more of the norm for the Steelers offense

As a result the game this week will tell the tale. If Rudy does well then it’s clear he is the driving force. If he stinks well I’ve been right You’re afraid to commit to the later because I’m guessing you know deep down that the resurgent offense has been fools gold

So what’s you’re excuse going to be if we see bad Rudy this weekend ?

2678807.jpg

^ I give you guys credit for being so committed to the debate over which one is hotter.

Offensive production is way down overall though. The top season this year was 4,600 passing yards and 35 touchdowns (different players). That was the 3rd best QB season last year and not even top 5 in 2021.

Defenses are playing 2-high and forcing everything underneath. The moon ball from CJ Stroud last weekend was awesome because it was a throwback to 10 years ago. We rarely see that kind of super deep stuff over the middle anymore. Defenses just won't let you do it.

Prime Ben probably wouldn't have gotten 4,200 yards this year. And late career Ben probably would have looked like Gardiner Minshew and done about 3,500.

I’m a man of my word. if Mason Plays well then I’ll admit that he clearly was the catalyst for the offense. No excuses. I have no skin in the game I’ve said that like Rudy and started a thread on what a stand up guy he is

Every argument I’ve made is factually supported

1. After Oh Canada was canned KPs performance was as good as Rudy’s who had the benefit of the back up OCs further tweaking the offense for two weeks

2. Rudy’s passing has nothing to do with the great run game against Seattle. They stink period

3. Rudy’s performance against the ravens JV team was more of the norm for the Steelers offense

As a result the game this week will tell the tale. If Rudy does well then it’s clear he is the driving force. If he stinks well I’ve been right You’re afraid to commit to the later because I’m guessing you know deep down that the resurgent offense has been fools gold

So what’s you’re excuse going to be if we see bad Rudy this weekend ?
You are hopeless man. Like I said, just admit that it is Kenny or bust with you.

If you can’t see Mason has played better than Kenny, then it’s not worth even arguing.

Enjoy rooting against Mason on Sunday.

dude i literally agree with 95% of what you and FK are saying, we arent really disagreeing that much.

i just think you guys kind of have a double standard with Mason and Kenny, that's all. i think sub-consciously, many steeler fans on here kinda want Mason to fail, to make KP look better. it's human nature i guess.

No one says it, everyone says "they dont care who is qb, they want everyone to do well" but then a second later, kind of poo poo a 18 - 20 performance in a january rain storm when they'd be singing the praises if #8 did it.

But we pretty much all agree that we are all looking forward to Kenny coming back next year under a new OC and hopefully a better OL (aka, without Dan Moore).
Id be lying if I said I wasnt somewhat biased or at least rooting for KP. But at the same time I would be happy if Rudy played well as I think hes a good dude as well.

I also have some concerns about KP as they relate to pocket presence. That spin move to his left drives me nuts. But at the same time I dont think a crappy QB without potential has as many clutch fourth quarter comebacks late in games as he has.

and I agree our opinions are not that far apart. I admit Rudy has played well. The difference being I think a lot of it has to do with the competition and the elimination of canada where as you dont No biggie

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Id be lying if I said I wasnt somewhat biased or at least rooting for KP. But at the same time I would be happy if Rudy played well as I think hes a good dude as well.

I also have some concerns about KP as they relate to pocket presence. That spin move to his left drives me nuts. But at the same time I dont think a crappy QB without potential has as many clutch fourth quarter comebacks late in games as he has.

and I agree our opinions are not that far apart. I admit Rudy has played well. The difference being I think a lot of it has to do with the competition and the elimination of canada where as you dont No biggie
it's funny, you and i are saying 98% the same thing yet we are arguing. lol, it's weird.

I listen to this side and i get mad at Kenny and tear him down then i read one of Pitt79's 800 million posts bashing Kenny and i stick up for Kenny.

My quick summation. I am looking forward to seeing kenny play under a real OC next year. i truly dont think Mason would be ideal as our starting qb next year, i really dont. i think he would be a below avg starting qb and Kenny has the higher ceiling.

I truly do like Mason as a legit #2, a guy who can win you some games if needed. Which he has done. pissed that Tomlin didnt see it til it was almost too late.

regardless, i think we both agree and both are KP fans. truly hoping and praying he figures it out next year.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT