ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: Wannstedt vs Narduzzi

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
This post is not intended to glorify Dave Wannstedt or his coaching but since the days of Mike Gottfried, nobody has recruited to Pitt better than Dave Wannstedt and arguably, nobody had a tougher situation to recruit to considering we were beginning play in the post-apocalyptic Big East with many rumors swirling about its BCS status.

So, I guess my question is, what's the difference? What's changed? Considering we are in the ACC, you'd think it should be easier to recruit now. How can or what can Narduzzi do to duplicate Wanny's recruiting success.......and you cant say "win." Winning helps but it is not a prerequisite to recruiting success. See Purdue, Maryland, Kentucky, Wanny/Pitt.

You are pointing out a perception verses a fact. Pitt has recruited better than Purdue by a wide margin and almost exactly the same level as Kentucky and Maryland. Cherry picking any given year is foolish.

All of that said, HCPN was recruiting at a HCDW level through his first 2 full classes. My issue with DW's recruiting was he loaded up in the same positions and ignored others so the roster was always incomplete.

It's also easier to recruit when you have easy wins on the schedule so I'm not sure the ACC has made things easier.

@ChrisDokish - Sep 11

Avg. Rivals recruiting ranking last 3 years

No. 16 Mississippi St 28.7
No. 15 TCU 29.7
No. 13 Virginia Tech 33.0

PITT 34.3

No. 6 Wisconsin 36.7
No. 24 Oklahoma St 38.7
No. 14 West Virginia 40.7
No. 17 Boise St 58.7
No. 18 UCF 59.0

This is a tired subject. Yes, the more high profile players you have, the better chance for high success...However, if you are recruiting the right players AND developing them, you can still win.

Are you telling me that App St has more pure talented players than Pitt???

I think the real problem is development... look at some of the high profile players that we have brought in that are on the bench or struggling.

These players have had little to no impact.

Hamlin - 4 Stars
Pugh - 4 Stars - transferred
Flowers - 4 Stars - transferred
Hendrix - 4 Stars
McKee - 4 Stars
Davis - 4 Stars
Drake - 4 Stars
Warren - 4 Stars
Ford - 5 Stars
Pine - 4 Stars
Reeves - 4 Stars - transferred
Sibley - 4 Stars - Injured

Then there are highly talented players that are still sitting on the bench, transferred or contribute very little:

Coleman - DB
Smith - WR
Butler - WR
Wheeler - DT
Miller - transferred
Garner- DB

These guys have been good, but not special yet...

Camp - 4 Stars
Watts - 4 Stars

Then there are s few players that have played better than expected based on their profile:

Wirginis - 2 Stars - Chryst recruit.
Weaver - low 3 Stars
Pinnock - low 3 stars
Idowu - 2 Stars - Chryst recruit
Jones - 2 Stars

Also, the recruiting is erratic....We do well in recruiting certain positions, but terrible at others...we have done well at DT, RB, and DB. We have done average or below average on every other position...

As someone pointed out this week a lot of the Chryst recruits are still starting...

Bottom line is that there is enough talent to compete for the division title. The recruiting talent needs to be spread out over the entire positions.

Watch the tape of App State and Psu and decide for yourself if they have better athletes than Pitt.I saw two wr that can fly,two Nfl type corners,very fast RB and a very accurate qb who made all the throws down the field.They matched Psu athleticism thats why it was a close game.bwdik

Last edited:
In year 4 recruiting is tied to winning. In years 1 and 2 you can sell a vision but by year 3 it is hard to sell a vision without results.
That's why the 5-7 in Duz yr 3 was more harmful than in Duz yr 1. Even if logical minds were accepting, the mainstream recruiting community apparently is taking red flags from it. Need a bounce back season desperately. It ain't starting well unfortunately.

Ignore the rankings. Tell me what players Narduzzi has brought in that are close to as good as Jabaal Sheard, Dion Lewis, Jon Baldwin, Dorin Dickerson, Shady McCoy, etc. Wanny brought in at least 15-20 players better than the best guy Narduzzi has brought in. Who IS the best player Duzz has recruited to Pitt?

Watch the tape of App State and Psu and decide for yourself if they have better athletes than Pitt.I saw two wr that can fly,two Nfl type corners,very fast RB and a very accurate qb who made all the throws down the field.They matched Psu athleticism thats why it was a close game.bwdik

Yes.... And how many stars did they have coming out of high school?

Obviously the coach can:

1. ID the right players for his system.
2. Can develop the players he has recruited.

That IS coaching...

App State is in a Southern Hillbilly state, they put football above academics, so I'm sure they cheat better than we do, keep academic standards super low, cover up crimes, probably even payments to some degree. They are probably DYING to win, we are not.

@ChrisDokish - Sep 11

No. 15 TCU 29.7

PITT 34.3

No. 6 Wisconsin 36.7
No. 24 Oklahoma St 38.7
No. 17 Boise St 58.7
No. 18 UCF 59.0

This is a tired subject. Yes, the more high profile players you have, the better chance for high success...However, if you are recruiting the right players AND developing them, you can still win.

I think the real problem is development... look at some of the high profile players that we have brought in that are on the bench or struggling.

Hamlin - 4 Stars
Hendrix - 4 Stars
McKee - 4 Stars
Davis - 4 Stars
Drake - 4 Stars
Warren - 4 Stars
Ford - 5 Stars
Pine - 4 Stars

Then there are highly talented players that are still sitting on the bench, transferred or contribute very little:

Coleman - DB
Smith - WR
Butler - WR
Wheeler - DT
Miller - transferred
Garner- DB

Camp - 4 Stars
Watts - 4 Stars

Then there are s few players that have played better than expected based on their profile:

Weaver - low 3 Stars
Pinnock - low 3 stars
Jones - 2 Stars

Also, the recruiting is erratic....We do well in recruiting certain positions, but terrible at others...we have done well at DT, RB, and DB. We have done average or below average on every other position...

As someone pointed out this week a lot of the Chryst recruits are still starting...

Bottom line is that there is enough talent to compete for the division title. The recruiting talent needs to be spread out over the entire positions.

For the record, most of those recruits are not at the star level you reference. Ford was a 247 composite 4 star, not a 5-star.

Warren, Pine, Drake, and McKee were composite 3 stars on 247. Pugh was also a 3-star composite.

The hit rate with the 3-stars is about what you'd expect.

@ChrisDokish - Sep 11

No. 15 TCU 29.7

PITT 34.3

No. 6 Wisconsin 36.7
No. 24 Oklahoma St 38.7
No. 17 Boise St 58.7
No. 18 UCF 59.0

Hamlin - 4 Stars
Hendrix - 4 Stars
McKee - 4 Stars
Davis - 4 Stars
Drake - 4 Stars
Warren - 4 Stars
Ford - 5 Stars
Pine - 4 Stars

Coleman - DB
Smith - WR
Butler - WR
Wheeler - DT
Miller - transferred
Garner- DB

Camp - 4 Stars
Watts - 4 Stars

Weaver - low 3 Stars
Pinnock - low 3 stars
Jones - 2 Stars

If the recruiting season finished right now, the three year average for Pitt would be 40 and falling. Based on recent commits and the crystal ball predictions, that's going to get worse. So far as the Costal is concerned, VT, UNC, and Miami are all doing much better in recruiting. The three year average (including this year) for those schools is 23 and rising. Yes, you have to win on the field but you're at a severe disadvantage in talent right out of the gate going forward.

What Dokish and other apologists fail to understand is that Pitt has been recruiting at a similar level since they joined the ACC so showing what looks like a respectable average (including the one year Pitt finished 4th in the conference) is meaningless in the context of performance on the field and performance versus the rest of the conference in recruiting.

There simply isn't enough talent at Pitt to consistently compete for the Coastal and the talent that is there is being squandered.

But hey, Tim Salem sleeps in his office and makes his wife change light bulbs! WOW!!!

This post is not intended to glorify Dave Wannstedt or his coaching but since the days of Mike Gottfried, nobody has recruited to Pitt better than Dave Wannstedt and arguably, nobody had a tougher situation to recruit to considering we were beginning play in the post-apocalyptic Big East with many rumors swirling about its BCS status.

So, I guess my question is, what's the difference? What's changed? Considering we are in the ACC, you'd think it should be easier to recruit now. How can or what can Narduzzi do to duplicate Wanny's recruiting success.......and you cant say "win." Winning helps but it is not a prerequisite to recruiting success. See Purdue, Maryland, Kentucky, Wanny/Pitt.
Hafley. Exactly the type of coach Narduzzi needed to hire when he was looking for coaches during the off season. Early results say he swung and missed on the 3 coaches he hired in the off season

I am no insider with some great insight here. But it did seem like Wanny had a good relationship with local coaches and boosters and that helped us land some of the top local recruits; and Jeff Hafley did an excellent job in New Jersey. Maybe the coach relationship is less important than it used to be because of social media or whatever, but it is something Wanny had going.

There isn't one guy on this staff who I think compares to Hafley as a closer. Dion Lewis, Ray Graham, TJ Clemmings...

Also, Wanny inherited a program that recruited its traditional footprint at least somewhat well under Walt and had the advantage of being a Pitt guy that a lot of yinzers instantly took to.

Also, Wanny kept his recruiting strategy consistent in terms of geographic footprint (the WPIAL "fence", New Jersey, and a smattering of New York, Eastern PA, etc.) That wasn't that different than Walt, who did the same thing but might have had a little more budget or just focus on Florida, where he landed some good mid level gems.

It's felt like Narduzzi has sunk a decent amount of focus into Ohio and Michigan for very little gain. This year's Florida load a pretty big departure. Hoping the Florida shift works out, it's obviously way too early to say, but most teams are built with at least 50% "local" kids so...

Yes.... And how many stars did they have coming out of high school?

Obviously the coach can:

1. ID the right players for his system.
2. Can develop the players he has recruited.

That IS coaching...

I am not buying that Pitt has better players than App St. I didn't watch App St/PSU but App St will win the Sun Belt, a league Pitt would not win (sorry). Perhaps Pitt is deeper but if you look at who Pitt starts (ie their best 22), very few of those players had offers that were far and away better than App St-level. Someone mentioned only Bookser had more than 1 P5 offer of our starting offensive linemen....and these are our best 5. I would highly doubt they are better players than App St's OL.

We have nothing at TE and very little at WR (mostly G5 recruits). On D, we have 3 5th year senior MLBs who were all G5 level recruits, as was one of our safeties.

The difference between a low 3 star (which we get a lot of) and a 2 star (what schools like App St gets) is minimal. They have had a better "hit rate" on their 2 stars and low 4 stars than we have had.

For the record, most of those recruits are not at the star level you reference. Ford was a 247 composite 4 star, not a 5-star.

Warren, Pine, Drake, and McKee were composite 3 stars on 247. Pugh was also a 3-star composite.

The hit rate with the 3-stars is about what you'd expect.

There are other recruiting services that has rated them 4 Stars. Check Rivals, ESPN and 24/7. One is not better than the other....

We've had this discussion before, but you refuse to even acknowledge it, because it doesn't fit your narrative...

@ChrisDokish - Sep 11

No. 15 TCU 29.7

PITT 34.3

No. 6 Wisconsin 36.7
No. 24 Oklahoma St 38.7
No. 17 Boise St 58.7
No. 18 UCF 59.0

Hamlin - 4 Stars
Hendrix - 4 Stars
McKee - 4 Stars
Davis - 4 Stars
Drake - 4 Stars
Warren - 4 Stars
Ford - 5 Stars
Pine - 4 Stars

Coleman - DB
Smith - WR
Butler - WR
Wheeler - DT
Miller - transferred
Garner- DB

Camp - 4 Stars
Watts - 4 Stars

Weaver - low 3 Stars
Pinnock - low 3 stars
Jones - 2 Stars

If the recruiting season finished right now, the three year average for Pitt would be 40 and falling. Based on recent commits and the crystal ball predictions, that's going to get worse. So far as the Costal is concerned, VT, UNC, and Miami are all doing much better in recruiting. The three year average (including this year) for those schools is 23 and rising. Yes, you have to win on the field but you're at a severe disadvantage in talent right out of the gate going forward.

What Dokish and other apologists fail to understand is that Pitt has been recruiting at a similar level since they joined the ACC so showing what looks like a respectable average (including the one year Pitt finished 4th in the conference) is meaningless in the context of performance on the field and performance versus the rest of the conference in recruiting.

There simply isn't enough talent at Pitt to consistently compete for the Coastal and the talent that is there is being squandered.

But hey, Tim Salem sleeps in his office and makes his wife change light bulbs! WOW!!!

The dirty little secret is that our staff's "hit rate" with 4 star players has to be among the worst in the nation. Not only do we not get enough, the ones we get don't even come close to living up to their 4 star billing. I cannot think of a single 4 star that Narduzzi has recruited that has lived up to it. That's scary. Am I forgetting someone?

You have to hire recruiters. You have to be a closer.

The dirty little secret is that our staff's "hit rate" with 4 star players has to be among the worst in the nation. Not only do we not get enough, the ones we get don't even come close to living up to their 4 star billing. I cannot think of a single 4 star that Narduzzi has recruited that has lived up to it. That's scary. Am I forgetting someone?

I’m not so sure of that.
I think the problems are:

1. A decent amount of our 4* players under Narduzzi have been transfers. Many transfers have already proven to be busts.

2. Most of our 4* have a barely average 4* player rating. If anything below an .89 is a 3* talent on 247 and we’re taking a bunch of .89something 4* guys, these are fringe 4* players. The bust rate of those players is going to be higher than say a .94 rated 4* guy.

@ChrisDokish - Sep 11

No. 15 TCU 29.7

PITT 34.3

No. 6 Wisconsin 36.7
No. 24 Oklahoma St 38.7
No. 17 Boise St 58.7
No. 18 UCF 59.0

Hamlin - 4 Stars
Hendrix - 4 Stars
McKee - 4 Stars
Davis - 4 Stars
Drake - 4 Stars
Warren - 4 Stars
Ford - 5 Stars
Pine - 4 Stars

Coleman - DB
Smith - WR
Butler - WR
Wheeler - DT
Miller - transferred
Garner- DB

Camp - 4 Stars
Watts - 4 Stars

Weaver - low 3 Stars
Pinnock - low 3 stars
Jones - 2 Stars

Whiff, again. What is important is your recruiting relative to your competition. Great list of examples of schools who have recruit at a higher level than their competition. THEN you still have to have great coaching to actually succeed.

Reactions: pittdan77

I’m not so sure of that.
I think the problems are:

1. A decent amount of our 4* players under Narduzzi have been transfers. Many transfers have already proven to be busts.

2. Most of our 4* have a barely average 4* player rating. If anything below an .89 is a 3* talent on 247 and we’re taking a bunch of .89something 4* guys, these are fringe 4* players. The bust rate of those players is going to be higher than say a .94 rated 4* guy.

If you are a 4 star and you transfer out, chances are you were a bust.

Hafley. Exactly the type of coach Narduzzi needed to hire when he was looking for coaches during the off season. Early results say he swung and missed on the 3 coaches he hired in the off season
Bingo. And we have essentially conceded the DMV and have been awful in Ohio. But, man, we sure are going to do well with Michigan leftovers!!!1!

Nate Peterman is the only 4 star Narduzzi has brought in that has really contributed here, and he was a transfer. So far Hamlin has been bad, Ford can't get on the field, Davis barely plays, Salahuddin hasn't played yet. Reeves transferred. Hill had to retire due to health. Amir Watts has been ok I guess, but not really playing like a 4 star stud. Is that the whole list? Wow is that bad.

EDIT: Forgot about Flowers, who did nothing then transferred. LOL

Not only wanny, but ultimately the results show that Chryst brought in better players.

Edit: hell, I would kill to even have a guy like ray vinnopal playing safety on this team.

Last edited:
I'm not a "stars don't matter" guy but in year 4 I don't care what star rankings you are bringing in if no one is panning out. The results have shown that Pat Narduzzi is definitely NOT finding diamonds in the rough. Honest to God has ONE guy been a solidly above average player that Pat has brought in? In 4 years he can't bring in ONE game changer? It's pretty obvious the guy can't identify talent.

Dude, I'm making your argument for you, but you don't realize it. I didn't quote the separate, 247 ranking. I quoted the composite ranking, which combines 247, Rivals, and ESPN.

You don't think, maybe, that 3 data points are better than one? I suppose the answer is "only if it fits your narrative", correct?

Reactions: Jpripper88
Whiff, again. What is important is your recruiting relative to your competition. Great list of examples of schools who have recruit at a higher level than their competition. THEN you still have to have great coaching to actually succeed.

You wanna go at again???

You wanna be embarrassed again?

I had some pity on you and laid off because you were clearly outgunned...

But if you wanna slap leather with the Meister again then load up your pea shooter and bring it, you four eyed water moccasin!!!

What is Wisconsin's recruiting relative to their competition? Are they on the same scale as Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State? Yet they have had much better success.

You wanna go at again???

You wanna be embarrassed again?

I had some pity on you and laid off because you were clearly outgunned...

But if you wanna slap leather with the Meister again then load up your pea shooter and bring it, you four eyed water moccasin!!!

What is Wisconsin's recruiting relative to their competition? Are they on the same scale as Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State? Yet they have had much better success.

You can't, on one day of the week, deride Chryst and Wisconsin as only having success because they play in a terrible division with a powderpuff schedule, and then on another day use them as an example as having greater success than Michigan or OSU or PSU. That is, if you wish to be taken seriously.

Why? The composite will tell me what the collective view of all of them is.

I look at them individually, but if you want to use them as a measuring stick then ok with that. We'll use 24/7 as the measuring stick as well going forward, provided we stick with it...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT