ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits or Portal

Lock Haven is a great place to go to college ,especially if you are from a small school environment. Ask Kolat and Marsteller how they liked it. Oh,and they did OK wrestling and became successful family men and citizens with great futures.

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
His coach at Iowa did not get fired. He was a big time recruit. You would think nd he could go to a better program than LH.
LHU is a great place to wrestle,and a great place to become a good citizen. Ask Kolat and Marsteller what LHU did for them.

LHU is a great place to wrestle,and a great place to become a good citizen. Ask Kolat and Marsteller what LHU did for them.
Both Marstellar and Kolat had had issues not related to wrestling ability ie as academics. That is why they went to LH. You are correct that LH was a great place for both of them. I am still surprised that Henson did not go to a better program or school.

Reactions: Jagdish
Both Marstellar and Kolat had had issues not related to wrestling ability ie as academics. That is why they went to LH. You are correct that LH was a great place for both of them. I
i can think of many schools that are better place to wrestle than LHU Including Pitt. Kids that need some help with issues may certainly benefit from a school ie as LHU. Some kids do not have the academics to deal with certain schools like Pitt and PSU. Those kids will benefit from a school that allows them to flourish.

LOL, Nothing wrong with LHU. Noto placed 4th and will be a great training partner for Henson. LHU has quality light weights to train with, and have been recruiting well. Will most likely find a spot at NCAA's out of MAC also.

Transfer portal sucks but it will help revive some of the smaller programs in same fashion it did with football when scholarships were limited. For Wrestlers that want to see the mat and not just be on a great team, these schools are perfect and they arent going to recruit over you every single year making places like LHU prime for transfers.

There are also many reasons why kids choose the schools they do, and in many cases, we wouldnt understand or give their reason credence. Sometimes it is as simple as mat time and team chemistry, not location or perception of how great the program is or was.

Thom67- no,there are not a lot of better places to wrestle than the Haven.First compare the number of national champions,then understand that kids go there because they love the environment -academics at the Haven are very good(if you have a child,you can trust them to your LHU teacher)

Reactions: _DBHoops
Thom67- no,there are not a lot of better places to wrestle than the Haven.First compare the number of national champions,then understand that kids go there because they love the environment -academics at the Haven are very good(if you have a child,you can trust them to your LHU teacher)
We will have to agree to disagree on that. I would rather have my son wrestle at Cornell, Penn, or Harvard. Pitt and PSU are way ahead of LHU for academics. As well as many other schools. Some students have need of help in their academics and LHU may meet their needs which is important.

We will have to agree to disagree on that. I would rather have my son wrestle at Cornell, Penn, or Harvard. Pitt and PSU are way ahead of LHU for academics. As well as many other schools. Some students have need of help in their academics and LHU may meet their needs which is important.
Are you trolling or serious? Yea, I want my sons to go to the best possible school where they will be successful both on the mat and in the classroom. One piece you're missing, a school/program has to also want you if you are going to receive any type of financial assistance. One can always walk on but the schools you mention are anywhere from $40k-$90K per year. Most arent going to pay that kind of money to take a chance to earn a scholarship and put in the time it takes to be a D1 Athlete. Not to mention, with the Ivy League schools it is based on how much your family earns as they dont provide sports scholarships. If a family earns 100-150K annually, depending on the school, they receive no aid and would have to foot the entire tuition bill.

I know of a couple very successful HS wrestlers who are currently in the portal and are not receiving the attention they received coming out of HS and are finding it to be a difficult path and humbling. There also has to be an opening or an interest at that wrestlers weight for a school to want them and take the risk.

Yeah, you're alone on this one. You clearly have some issue with either Henson or LHU since you keep sneaking in pointless jabs at both of them.

Are you trolling or serious? Yea, I want my sons to go to the best possible school where they will be successful both on the mat and in the classroom. One piece you're missing, a school/program has to also want you if you are going to receive any type of financial assistance. One can always walk on but the schools you mention are anywhere from $40k-$90K per year. Most arent going to pay that kind of money to take a chance to earn a scholarship and put in the time it takes to be a D1 Athlete. Not to mention, with the Ivy League schools it is based on how much your family earns as they dont provide sports scholarships. If a family earns 100-150K annually, depending on the school, they receive no aid and would have to foot the entire tuition bill.

I know of a couple very successful HS wrestlers who are currently in the portal and are not receiving the attention they received coming out of HS and are finding it to be a difficult path and humbling. There also has to be an opening or an interest at that wrestlers weight for a school to want them and take the risk.
I agree with all that you have stated. I only stated that I was surprised that a big time recruit like Henson ended up at LHU. That got all this discussion started. He has left 2 schools in 2 years, regardless of the reasons.

Speaking of Marstellar everyone do yourself a favor and watch the three match series he just had with Burroughs. Plenty of controversy throughout but that was highly entertaining

Good for him. Should plug in right away at 157. Solid guys at clarion although not sure what happened with Joey Fischer hopefully he bounces back

Lock Haven hasn't had a national champion since Cary Kolat...over 25 years ago. Before him, you have to go back almost another 3 decades to the glory years in the 60s. Before that, mostly they were won in the NAIA. I'm not sure what that has to do with the current program.

It's a great wrestling tradition and history for a small school though. Frankly, I'm worried about whether the school is going to survive.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwh05 and jctrack
Kade Brown with a nice weekend with multiple ranked wins to take 6th at Fargo. His younger brother also did very well, hopefully have the inside track on him. Looking like he will be highly ranked
Kade made a big jump to 7th in Willie’s top 20 weight class ranking (138 weight class)

Just googled Limbert. Division II Ohio State champion at 113 from Medina. 45-1 senior year with only loss in a dual when he wrestled up a class. Watched state final on YouTube. Dominated with a 9-1 win.
Thanks for the info!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT