ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT: The SEC & Big Ten are looking to each have 4 automatic bids to the playoff when the next contract begins in 2026, per @CFBHeather

This is getting further away from a playoff, now. It's more like an invitational tournament. We were told that the playoff would open things up for more teams to play for a championship but now you're really just having a B1G vs. SEC tournament with a couple of other schools that hopefully boost ratings because there are a couple large fan bases they haven't poached yet.
There is truth to this.

Reactions: pittdan77
This is getting further away from a playoff, now. It's more like an invitational tournament. We were told that the playoff would open things up for more teams to play for a championship but now you're really just having a B1G vs. SEC tournament with a couple of other schools that hopefully boost ratings because there are a couple large fan bases they haven't poached yet.

Yeah, I don't disagree. At the same time, it's hard for me to argue that a conference with Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Ole Miss, LSU, etc. shouldn't get more bids. But watching them have their cake (stacking the conference, making big time money) and eating it, too (still getting a quota of teams to the playoffs despite the more blemished records) kind of does make it feel like we're just being pacified.

I mean, I personally think 4 and 2 is more than fair. But I'm just saying if it gets any more drastic than that then it'll just feel like college football feudalism.

Yeah, I don't disagree. At the same time, it's hard for me to argue that a conference with Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Ole Miss, LSU, etc. shouldn't get more bids. But watching them have their cake (stacking the conference, making big time money) and eating it, too (still getting a quota of teams to the playoffs despite the more blemished records) kind of does make it feel like we're just being pacified.

I mean, I personally think 4 and 2 is more than fair. But I'm just saying if it gets any more drastic than that then it'll just feel like college football feudalism.
I mean more teams ARE getting a chance. In the past few years, at least 1 if not 2 of the P5 conference champs were left out. That won't happen now. And the G5 gets a seat at the table every year.

but 100% expected...
actually expected worse

No disagreement but let's just get past the unnecessary steps and just shut everyone else out and make it a two conference tournament. Sooner we do that, the sooner everyone else can settle in and create a second tier. All we're doing is protecting investor revenue, particularly what ESPN and Fox and the other partners have invested in CFB. When those TV contracts get closer to the options running out, they're just going to drop everyone else and move on.

No disagreement but let's just get past the unnecessary steps and just shut everyone else out and make it a two conference tournament. Sooner we do that, the sooner everyone else can settle in and create a second tier. All we're doing is protecting investor revenue, particularly what ESPN and Fox and the other partners have invested in CFB. When those TV contracts get closer to the options running out, they're just going to drop everyone else and move on.

Yeah, I don't disagree. The waiting/slow burn is the hardest part.

The only thing I'm curious about is what will become of the Indianas and Northwesterns of the world. But that might also be self-fulfilling. They're going to receive a lot of money from now until some of these contracts are up. So as long as they're spending it like street-walking sugar babies who just got put up in some CEO's penthouse and adorning a countenance that says "we're serious about football," then perhaps they will be fine.

Yeah, I don't disagree. The waiting/slow burn is the hardest part.

The only thing I'm curious about is what will become of the Indianas and Northwesterns of the world. But that might also be self-fulfilling. They're going to receive a lot of money from now until some of these contracts are up. So as long as they're spending it like street-walking sugar babies and adorning a countenance that says "we're serious about football," then perhaps they will be fine.
Yeah, I've been wondering how that's going to go down. Those schools don't bring anything to the table when it comes to big revenue and they never will. Especially now that the blue bloods will eventually demand unequal shares in the B1G and SEC. That's coming and I'll enjoy watching the X fan boys get triggered as their second and third tier schools get relegated to much lower revenue models after they've been actively rooting for the ACC to fail. The rich will get much, much richer and will do everything then can to shut anyone else out. No idea how sustainable that model will be but that's their problem. Pitt will be in that second tier and I'm pretty okay that we're not in a conference where we'll have to be the gloating whipping boys for the blue bloods.

I will repeat my way, way out proposal.

1) Notre Dame currently has one path to the playoff. If they join a league, they have at least 2 paths.

2) Every school has a price, even ND. This policy of remaining independent will lose appeal if they cant get to the playoff.

3) I tell all ACC members, 1 million a year....maybe 1.5 per year, into a pool that is given to ND. Thats anywhere from 15-25 mill per year, and they keep their TV contract of course. If a school says no, they are out...but no school will walk away from this.

4) It will be a painful hit to each schools bottom line, but ND in the league not only enhances the TV deal down the road but also gives rise to more interest, better recruiting, better in season games, with several schools that have been great at football with a better chance of elevating again.

5) FSU has likely spent millions on their lawsuit. Clemson likely the same. That money given to ND would produce a far better outcome than what they have seen so far.

I know its out there. But i think we all agree, ND saves the league and likely keeps the league together.

Before the league bends over and just accepts their demise, I would at least throw a haymaker. It could possibly land.....

Well, yes, it IS an invitational tournament. The NCAA doesn't run this tournament, the Power 4 do....but now really its just the Power 2 who run it because they feel they dont need the ACC and B12. So, yes, its absolutely an SEC/Big Ten Invitational where they invite the ACC Champ, B12 Champ, G6 champ, and Notre Dame.

I will repeat my way, way out proposal.

1) Notre Dame currently has one path to the playoff. If they join a league, they have at least 2 paths.

2) Every school has a price, even ND. This policy of remaining independent will lose appeal if they cant get to the playoff.

3) I tell all ACC members, 1 million a year....maybe 1.5 per year, into a pool that is given to ND. Thats anywhere from 15-25 mill per year, and they keep their TV contract of course. If a school says no, they are out...but no school will walk away from this.

4) It will be a painful hit to each schools bottom line, but ND in the league not only enhances the TV deal down the road but also gives rise to more interest, better recruiting, better in season games, with several schools that have been great at football with a better chance of elevating again.

5) FSU has likely spent millions on their lawsuit. Clemson likely the same. That money given to ND would produce a far better outcome than what they have seen so far.

I know its out there. But i think we all agree, ND saves the league and likely keeps the league together.

Before the league bends over and just accepts their demise, I would at least throw a haymaker. It could possibly land.....
Honestly ND has really dumbed down their schedule. That's 10-2 most years which will mostly get them ranked in the top 12 somehow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT