ADVERTISEMENT

Right Guard

Oct 25, 2021
No, not the deodorant - though I might carry a spray can of it with me next time I ride the T to combat the stank. It can't be BJ Williams again, can it? And Collier didn't hold his own against Wofford. Sooooo....

1) Put Goncalves at guard and play Baer at tackle

2) Put Terrence Moore at center and move Kradel to guard

Neither of these are without a "cons" side. Doubt you want a redshirt freshman making his first start on the road against a rival. And I'm not sure you want Moore handling center duties in such a loud environment. But what else can you do? Moore at guard, maybe? Somebody else at guard? We're in a tough spot.

No, not the deodorant - though I might carry a spray can of it with me next time I ride the T to combat the stank. It can't be BJ Williams again, can it? And Collier didn't hold his own against Wofford. Sooooo....

Neither of these are without a "cons" side. Doubt you want a redshirt freshman making his first start on the road against a rival. And I'm not sure you want Moore handling center duties in such a loud environment. But what else can you do? Moore at guard, maybe? Somebody else at guard? We're in a tough spot.
If I felt I needed to do that, Baer at tackle is preferable to me. Kradel is fine at Center. Goncalves hasn't played guard but it shouldn't be a big deal. Kind of where I'd see him playing in the NFL -- if he made it -- anyway. You could also move Baer inside, I suppose.

Reactions: 4upmc
If I felt I needed to do that, Baer at tackle is preferable to me. Kradel is fine at Center. Goncalves hasn't played guard but it shouldn't be a big deal. Kind of where I'd see him playing in the NFL -- if he made it -- anyway. You could also move Baer inside, I suppose.

Goncalves has played a good bit of guard over the last few years, though. I just don't know how we could go with Williams again. I watched Peak's podcast thing, and he said PFF gave him a 9 (!!!!) as a pass-blocking grade. A 70 is what's considered just decent.

I didn’t realize how big of a loss Ryan Jacoby was. I don’t think he would’ve been Marcus minor, but he would’ve been much better than what we have now. Plus we lost all that continuity of those guys playing together in the spring and fall.

Right? I brushed his loss off as no big deal at all. Turns out it has our season in a headlock.

Goncalves has played a good bit of guard over the last few years, though. I just don't know how we could go with Williams again. I watched Peak's podcast thing, and he said PFF gave him a 9 (!!!!) as a pass-blocking grade. A 70 is what's considered just decent.
My memory is failing me but I wasn't thrilled with Collier being the starter. Zubovic has stretches where he is iffy at times, too.

Another option could be to move Moore over to Guard.

My memory is failing me but I wasn't thrilled with Collier being the starter. Zubovic has stretches where he is iffy at times, too.

Another option could be to move Moore over to Guard.

Yeah - Collier, Kradel, Zubovic, and Williams have all been bad this year. I just did not expect this. I thought OL was the best position group on the team.

And it's making me seriously worry about the future if:

1) Williams, who had an awful game, has already passed so many guys on the depth chart

2) Goncalves, our best lineman, is leaving

3) No one can displace Zubovic while he's playing like this. Maybe even Kradel, for that matter.

Reactions: ECpittfan

I don't think we will move Gonclaves so playing Baer seems the most likely!

I don't think we will move Gonclaves so playing Baer seems the most likely!

They've said they want Baer to focus on tackle, so I'm not sure if they would just plug him in at guard or put him a tackle of move Goncalves in. Either way, I hope they're playing musical linemen in practice this week, because something has to be done.

They've said they want Baer to focus on tackle, so I'm not sure if they would just plug him in at guard or put him a tackle of move Goncalves in. Either way, I hope they're playing musical linemen in practice this week, because something has to be done.
Yeah I was just going to bring that up. I'm not sure why they won't at least try Bear at guard. He got some snaps against Wofford at LT and seemed to pass protect well, although it was Wofford.

Gonclaves is playing for an NFL contract and he would not be too happy moving him imo. Duzz said Baer can play G but did not want him to be a jack of all trades and master of none. In my view I say we play Baer at G and leave Gonclaves at T. We will find out Saturday night!

Yeah I was just going to bring that up. I'm not sure why they won't at least try Bear at guard. He got some snaps against Wofford at LT and seemed to pass protect well, although it was Wofford.

I watched a Baer interview in August where he seemed to express some confusion with learning both positions. I could see them looking ahead to next season when Goncalves is gone and not wanting to mess with that development in taking over at tackle in 2024.

At least that's the glass half full version of why he's not playing...

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Gonclaves is playing for an NFL contract and he would not be too happy moving him imo. Duzz said Baer can play G but did not want him to be a jack of all trades and master of none. In my view I say we play Baer at G and leave Gonclaves at T. We will find out Saturday night!
Don't see Goncalves playing Tackle in the NFL so it won't hurt him to play Guard.

the idea that sitting on the bench as a backup tackle is better for your development than getting actual game time at guard is beyond stupid.

the idea that sitting on the bench as a backup tackle is better for your development than getting actual game time at guard is beyond stupid.

To an extent, but it's about where you're practicing, the playbook and assignments/protections you're learning, etc. If this was backyard football, then sure. But if you want him to be your starting left tackle next season, it might not hurt to just master that.

I watched a Baer interview in August where he seemed to express some confusion with learning both positions. I could see them looking ahead to next season when Goncalves is gone and not wanting to mess with that development in taking over at tackle in 2024.

At least that's the glass half full version of why he's not playing...
The issue with PITT is the lack of information that is available. Did Williams supplant Moore based on preformance or is Moore hurt. Is Baer staying at tackle because Taylor is on a short lease or is Baer either comfortable at OG or trying to learn both had him thinking too much and not playing at full speed.
My other question is why did they switch the two tackles and guards from right to left against Cincy and not do it for at least a half or so against Wofford

The issue with PITT is the lack of information that is available. Did Williams supplant Moore based on preformance or is Moore hurt. Is Baer staying at tackle because Taylor is on a short lease or is Baer either comfortable at OG or trying to learn both had him thinking too much and not playing at full speed.
My other question is why did they switch the two tackles and guards from right to left against Cincy and not do it for at least a half or so against Wofford

Well Williams took over for Collier, although I would think it's possible that Moore (who I assume will be next years center) would also be in the mix at guard.

Taylor has been talked about a lot by the players and staff. They believe he's going to be a good one and he apparently works his tail off. He's going to be fine. Baer is probably staying at Tackle because if they have to make any moves, it might be more desirable to sub him there rather than at Guard.

I didn't get to watch Saturday but what I've seen of the offense since Cignetti arrives doesn't really keep the defense guessing. You can sit at home and just about predict what's coming at times. I'm certain the opposing DC's have figured that out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT