ADVERTISEMENT

Rosen - Best QB in the Draft

It’s going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. I have that feeling Cleveland will be heavily criticized for their pick for years.

and a btw...

I was at the Rose Bowl when Rosen orchestrated that improbable 34 point comeback over A&M with a little over 17 minutes remaining. I’ve seen plenty of live sporting events, that ones right up there...It’s something I’ll never forget in my lifetime.

I like Darnold as well, but Rosen the best.

Rosen has to prove he is a leader and guys will go to the mat for him.

Physical talent isn't enough in the league. This clearly is a main reason the Browns took Mayfield. Say what you want, but his offense at OU played for him.

Reactions: bubba31
Rosen has to prove he is a leader and guys will go to the mat for him.

Physical talent isn't enough in the league. This clearly is a main reason the Browns took Mayfield. Say what you want, but his offense at OU played for him.
I’m not sure about the Mayfleld pick at #1 to that franchise in particular,, but he’s a gamer for sure. More so than Darnold and Rosen put together. Rosen is very polished, and I think he will be a good NFL starting QB, but he’s not physically gifted, especially mobility-wise, and plays a bit soft. That said, the same criticisms were said of Tom Brady when he was drafted. Who knows.

Reactions: bobfree
The Steelers will lose one of the two games they play the Browns next season.

I see Rosen, at his best as a Stafford, puts up numbers but just doesn't have "it" Good but something missing

I see Rosen, at his best as a Stafford, puts up numbers but just doesn't have "it" Good but something missing
He sure had “IT” in one of the greatest comebacks in college football history. Stafford is a good pro QB and one of the wealthiest to boot. Not bad.

He sure had “IT” in one of the greatest comebacks in college football history. Stafford is a good pro QB and one of the wealthiest to boot. Not bad.
i agree not bad, but just lacking something, and that comeback was great, but his career left you wanting more. Much more

He’s nowhere near as physically talented as Stafford, who has one of the strongest arms in the NFL and can move and improvise when necessary. Stafford’s weakness is the team he plays on and his horrible O line that can neither protect him nor generate any kind of running game to take some of the burden off him.

You know your O line is bad when you draft a center in the first round and you don’t have any RBs.

Reactions: BFo8
The Steelers will lose one of the two games they play the Browns next season.

Doubtful, and if they do it won't be because of Mayfield. It would need to be a Ben meltdown 4/5 INT game with multiple returned for TDs.

Regarding Mayfield, this is why the Browns are the Browns. More self inflicted stupidity.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Doubtful, and if they do it won't be because of Mayfield. It would need to be a Ben meltdown 4/5 INT game with multiple returned for TDs.

Regarding Mayfield, this is why the Browns are the Browns. More self inflicted stupidity.
yeah to me the mayfield pick is why the browns are the browns. Its a very risky pick with no more upside(not as much as darnold or allen) as rosen. Maybe they finally get it right and mayfield becomes a HOF QB but there are way to many red flags.
First he just isn't big enough. His size is way below NFL average. Likely to get hurt more as well as struggle to see the field/more passes batted down.
Second there are definitely some off the field issues, maybe not Manziel level of the field stuff but its not a safe pick in regards to off the field stuff.
Big part of his game was moving around and I don't see his speed as translating to being able to do that in the NFL. He was able to outrun college DL and stay away from college LB, but many NFL DL will be faster than him and all NFL LBer's will be. I just don't think this part of his game translates well to the NFL and the whole not very big part comes into play here as he is going to take hits.

I respectfully disagree, I would have said the same thing before the draft prep, but he seems to always have a chip on his shoulder during his interviews. Seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and is driven.

I predict Darnold will have the best career of any QB drafted this year.

UCLA won 8, 4, and 6 games, but keep cherry picking one game moron

Elway was 20-23 at Stanford. Matt Hasselbeck was 9-14 at BC. Jay Cutler had a horrible record at Vandy but maybe that was actually his fault haha.

Anyway, good quarterbacks on bad college teams still might have the tools to be good pros.

I probably would have had it Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield. In that order.

Hall of Fame GM, Bill Polian used a certain criteria when evaluating QB's. Besides the physical attributes, they had to have accomplished the following:
  1. Had to be a two year starter in college.
  2. Had to have a winning record as a starter.
  3. In each of his years as a starter, he had to have completed at least 60% of his passes.
  4. Stay out of trouble.
He would then rank them per that criteria. Everything else he felt can be taught... Based on that, here is how I would rank the QB's in the draft...
  1. Baker Mayfield
  2. Mason Rudolph
  3. Sam Darnold
  4. Josh Rosen
  5. Lamar Jackson
  6. Josh Allen
Mason Rudolph, number 2? Yup, Ourlads had him ranked #1

Look up their stats and do your own comparison.

Hall of Fame GM, Bill Polian used a certain criteria when evaluating QB's. Besides the physical attributes, they had to have accomplished the following:
  1. Had to be a two year starter in college.
  2. Had to have a winning record as a starter.
  3. In each of his years as a starter, he had to have completed at least 60% of his passes.
  4. Stay out of trouble.
He would then rank them per that criteria. Everything else he felt can be taught... Based on that, here is how I would rank the QB's in the draft...
  1. Baker Mayfield
  2. Mason Rudolph
  3. Sam Darnold
  4. Josh Rosen
  5. Lamar Jackson
  6. Josh Allen
Mason Rudolph, number 2? Yup, Ourlads had him ranked #1

Look up their stats and do your own comparison.

The completion percentage stat is so important. Prospects typically drop 10% or more from college to the NFL. Josh Allen's college completion percentage was ~ 56%. 56% isn't even average in the NFL! Hate to pan someone who has never played a down, but there is just zero chance that Josh Allen was worth trading up for the 7th pick.

The completion percentage stat is so important. Prospects typically drop 10% or more from college to the NFL. Josh Allen's college completion percentage was ~ 56%. 56% isn't even average in the NFL! Hate to pan someone who has never played a down, but there is just zero chance that Josh Allen was worth trading up for the 7th pick.

Mayfield and Rudolph were three year starters and were very productive. They had high completion rate and had winning records. I could easily switch Darnold with Rosen, their profiles are similar. Jackson had the most upside but like Allen, he has passing accuracy problems. So they are iffy at best...

Mayfield and Rudolph were three year starters were very productive. They had high completion rate and had winning records. I could easily switch Darnold with Rosen, their profiles are similar. Jackson had the most upside but like Allen, he has passing accuracy problems. So they are iffy at best...

Agree. I have no issue with Mayfield (Rudolph probably should have gone much higher and the Steelers are lucky to have gotten him where they did), Darnold, or Rosen, or where they went. I also would have taken Lamar Jackson - after trading back at least 15 spots - over Josh Allen. I have no confidence at all in Josh Allen. Hell, last year an Army RB had more rushing yards that Allen had passing yards. Sucks for Shady, Allen is going to be ripping screens 4ft over his head for the twilight of his career.

I like Rosen and I like mason Rudolph. Lamar Jackson is a wild-card to me, could be a guy that is productive but people wonder how the hell he went in the first round, or he could be a game changer making Baltimore one of the best offenses in football.

I don't like baker mayfield, too short IMO, and I don't know a la drew Brees that he can make up for it with a rocket arm. The kid's a gamer so he could surprise me, I still hated the pick at #1 though and it is the browns so any chance he had may have gone out the window.

I also really, really don't like sam darnold. Just another Ryan leaf IMO. Maybe he turns out to be great, but he needs a lot of work to get there. Every time I watched him play last season he failed to make throws that pro backups should easily make. Did not look anything like the kid we saw in 2016. There's talent there, but I think he's a ways off.

Not at all. Darnold is a total punk. He's very cocky and is full of himself. He's on social media all the time and is a locker room cancer.

You're still butt hurt that I find Marcus Allen to be a cocky punk I see...it is what it is.

You shouldn't let other peoples opinions upset you so much.

Not at all. Darnold is a total punk. He's very cocky and is full of himself. He's on social media all the time and is a locker room cancer.
Sure. Best to be humble and gracious like Rosen. I’m sure the Cardinals veterans were real impressed with his post-draft interview:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...o-josh-rosen-the-best-quote-in-the-nfl-draft/

Honestly all I’ve ever read is the opposite of what you say. Rosen is the selfish prima Donna who lacks work ethic and whose own teammates don’t like, and Darnold is a strong leader and competitor.

Sure. Best to be humble and gracious like Rosen. I’m sure the Cardinals veterans were real impressed with his post-draft interview:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...o-josh-rosen-the-best-quote-in-the-nfl-draft/

Honestly all I’ve ever read is the opposite of what you say. Rosen is the selfish prima Donna who lacks work ethic and whose own teammates don’t like, and Darnold is a strong leader and competitor.
I was just kidding on the Darnold post, just mocking that "danimals" idiot.

As for Rosen, I thought that throughout his college career as well. His pre draft interviews though he was showing a moxie you would kinda want for a QB. The only QB I want to succeed out of this draft is Rudolph!!!

Reactions: vietvet1

Exactly my thoughts when I read his post.

Again, Darnold and Mayfield are the only QBs I would have drafted in the 1st round. Rudolph in the 3rd is fine. I think the rest will be below average starters or complete bums like Allen and Jackson. I am extremely happy the Ravens drafted Lamar Jackson.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
I think Rosen has bust written all over him. He was a loser in college and his numbers weren't that good. Mayfield will be better than Rosen, but Cleveland basically threw away the #1 pick on him. Why wouldn't you trade down if Mayfield was your guy?

Darnold is the best prospect in my opinion. Lamar Jackson will be a disaster in the NFL at QB.

Reactions: HunterHemsley
I think Rosen has bust written all over him. He was a loser in college and his numbers weren't that good. Mayfield will be better than Rosen, but Cleveland basically threw away the #1 pick on him. Why wouldn't you trade down if Mayfield was your guy?

Darnold is the best prospect in my opinion. Lamar Jackson will be a disaster in the NFL at QB.
If you think Mayfield is your guy and there are lots of teams targeting QBs, you take him. You can't risk he gets taken at 1, 2, or 3.

I think Darnold is the safest bet, but a Stafford-esque ceiling. Mayfield has the highest ceiling with at least a chance to be a competitor and average starter and the chance to be quite good.

I agree on Rosen and Jackson. Allen, too. I think Allen has essentially no chance to succeed. The talk like this was a great QB class was crazy to me. There is so much bust potential. Even Darnold could bust and be a below average QB IMO.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
If you think Mayfield is your guy and there are lots of teams targeting QBs, you take him. You can't risk he gets taken at 1, 2, or 3.

I think Darnold is the safest bet, but a Stafford-esque ceiling. Mayfield has the highest ceiling with at least a chance to be a competitor and average starter and the chance to be quite good.

I agree on Rosen and Jackson. Allen, too. I think Allen has essentially no chance to succeed. The talk like this was a great QB class was crazy to me. There is so much bust potential. Even Darnold could bust and be a below average QB IMO.
I see a lot of poormouthing of Matt Stafford on this board. As a Detroiter and longtime Liedowns season ticket holder I feel compelled to come to his defense. He’s a really good QB on a really bad team. He has a cannon arm, he’s a strong leader that has the utmost respect of his teammates and coaches,, he’s tough as nails, and he’s really smart. Plug him into a team with a good O-line, a competent running game and some good receivers and he would be a playoff regular. Problem is he’s running for his life the second the ball is snapped, he has no running game at all to keep the D honest and back off the pass rushers, and he’s suffered through a series of pathetic coaches while playing for the sorriest excuse for a pro football franchise ever. Any of these QBs drafted this year will be had dinner pressed to get to his level as a pro.

Rosen is definitely not humble...
No $hit. He’s a well-known a$$hole.

It’s one thing to be cocky and have swagger like Mayfleld. It’s another to be a self-centered “me me me” dickhead like this guy.

I love his quote that he’s not going to walk into the Cardinals locker room “acting like my $hit doesn’t stink”. I’m sure the Cards veterans like Fitz are very reassured to hear that. What a jagoff.

Reactions: BFo8
I see a lot of poormouthing of Matt Stafford on this board. As a Detroiter and longtime Liedowns season ticket holder I feel compelled to come to his defense. He’s a really good QB on a really bad team. He has a cannon arm, he’s a strong leader that has the utmost respect of his teammates and coaches,, he’s tough as nails, and he’s really smart. Plug him into a team with a good O-line, a competent running game and some good receivers and he would be a playoff regular. Problem is he’s running for his life the second the ball is snapped, he has no running game at all to keep the D honest and back off the pass rushers, and he’s suffered through a series of pathetic coaches while playing for the sorriest excuse for a pro football franchise ever. Any of these QBs drafted this year will be had dinner pressed to get to his level as a pro.
I mean that as a semi-compliment. Any franchise would have to be happy to find a Stafford. Now, you have to build a really good team around a Stafford comp to have a chance at a championship because once you pay him the franchise QB numbers, you are kind of screwed. He isn't good enough, at that point, to win a championship, unless you get other worldly lucky. You still have a very good QB and a chance to be a perennial playoff team with solid management. I think that is the ceiling for Darnold. I think Mayfield can be a bit better. I don't think any of the others have a shot of getting to that level or even close.

Sounds like the Jets and Patriots both had Mayfield #1 on their boards, too.

Seems the people whose livelihoods depend on these evaluations disagree with you. They have him 5th best.

“Experts”

The most any of these experts got on the 1st round was 8 correct picks.

Rosen will be the best NFL QB I’m with the OP.

“Experts”

The most any of these experts got on the 1st round was 8 correct picks.

Rosen will be the best NFL QB I’m with the OP.
I’m talking about the team player personnel guys and the people that do the drafting, not the talking heads. Most of Those clowns had Rosen the #2 QB taken behind Darnold. The football people whose livings depend on making the right selections picked 3 QBs before him.

Rosen is polished and has a lot of talent, and I’m not sold on any of the guys who went ahead of him, so Rosen may end up being the best of the bunch. Then again, so might some guy drafted in the mid rounds. Certainly Mason Rudolph accomplished a lot more and won a lot in his college career than Rosen. Who knows. A lot of it also depends on what team you end up on. Rosen has a significant advantage over the other 3 there.

He missed 6 games his So. year and they went 1-5 in those games. He had very good Fr. and Jr. seasons. They had a horrible defense. You are the moron.

Lol. I'm a moron for saying Rosen is good, but missing "it" The fact is he did leave everyone wanting more during his career. Sure some of it was injury, some poor team, but some of the blame falls on him.

And his stats were good, but in today's college football not all that special. He was never even the best QB in his conference. And like I said, if he can remain healthy he will be a good QB, not sure how any of that makes me a moron. Let me guess, you said something stupid on here and I called you out for it. So now you're eager to do the same, but you're not smart enough

Reactions: Jpripper88
Lol. I'm a moron for saying Rosen is good, but missing "it" The fact is he did leave everyone wanting more during his career. Sure some of it was injury, some poor team, but some of the blame falls on him.

And his stats were good, but in today's college football not all that special. He was never even the best QB in his conference. And like I said, if he can remain healthy he will be a good QB, not sure how any of that makes me a moron. Let me guess, you said something stupid on here and I called you out for it. So now you're eager to do the same, but you're not smart enough
And it seems absolutely 0 NFL teams had Rosen #1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT