ADVERTISEMENT

Running back recruiting---too many "misses"

PITT PRIDE

Redshirt
Gold Member
Oct 28, 2008
I’ve been following Pitt football as an ardent fan for a long long time and can discuss their running backs going back to the early 60s with Paul Martha and Rick Leeson or the late 60s with Denny Ferris and Tony Esposito

In the ensuing 50-60 yrs, while there have been a few isolated years where we were below average in running the ball, Pitt through the decades compared to its peers has generally had a good ground game. In 2019 and 2020 , however, we are faced with two consecutive years in which we have been simply abysmal at running the ball. I cannot recall any similar two year stretch in Pitt history where we have been this bad compared to peers.

Running back is probably the single easiest position for freshman to come in and get early playing time, and therefore, of all the position groups , this is the one where you have the deepest pool of players to choose from .The fact of we have had two such a dismal consecutive seasons speaks to the general failure of our recruiting that position over a 4-5 year period .Here’s what we’ve generated on the recruiting trail over the past five years

2020 -- Izzy ( jury still out)
2019 ---Daniel Carter and Vince Davis
2018 ----Mychale Salahuddin
2017 ----AJ Davis and Todd Sibley
2016----Chantez Moss
To put it bluntly we have yet to "hit" on one of these guys . To many "misses" at this position in consecutive years .

Now here’s the five-year period immediately before that.
2015--- Darrin Hall
2014 ---Chris James and Quadree Ollison
2013 ---James Conner and Rachid Ibrahim
2012---- Rushel Shell
2011-----Issac Bennett, Malcolm Crockett, Cory Davis

In that five year period we “hit“ on four guys ( Bennett, Conner, Ollison and Hall)

Given that a good running back can be your workhorse for 3 to 4 years, if we had "hit" on just one of our recent recruits over the past five years (and had the good fortune of keeping them healthy) we would’ve had a different season last year and our prospects looking ahead for the rest of you this year would be brighter.In short, we are paying the price for five consecutive years of subpar recruiting at the running back position

If you look back a little further, your point is even stronger. I like what I have seen from Izzy and Carter, just need to see more. Other guys are clearly more complimentary backs.

Not so sure anymore about freshmen coming in right away and making impacts. Today’s game is not power fullback-led offenses. Backs have to have the complete package including blitz pick-up don’t we all know. But freshmen should see the field in certain situations. Parrish was a big miss this past year. Not sure if he got off running in Kiffin’s offense if that’s where he ended up. Only the very top recruits in the very best programs get plugged in right after high school.

If you look back a little further, your point is even stronger. I like what I have seen from Izzy and Carter, just need to see more. Other guys are clearly more complimentary backs.
Carter seems to always be hurt.

Izzy looked easily discouraged Saturday after he had been hit a couple of times.

Like him or not V.Davis is tough. We will have no running back if he goes down.

Haven’t liked our RB recruiting in a long time. No elusiveness. We recruit straight-ahead speed guys, not lateral moves, which works a lot better in HS.

Our guys would work okay with a top Oline. Trouble is, we have a mediocre, at best, Oline.

Call Wanny — we need a Ray, a Dion, or a Shady...

Go Pitt.

I'm not sure that it is necessarily a "size" thing ( Remember, Dorsett was 160-165 lbs as a freshman)---we just dont have aback that hits the hole with force and has the ability to breaK a tackle. diffinitely have struck out on the recruiting

I’m also very discouraged in the RB but honestly I find it hard to imagine LeSean McCoy having success with this OLINE. Vincent Davis honestly impresses me. If he was a third down scat back everyone would love him and he would be perfect in that roll. For as far as I’m concerned, just put DJ Turner in the backfield at this point and see what he can do.

Haven’t liked our RB recruiting in a long time. No elusiveness. We recruit straight-ahead speed guys, not lateral moves, which works a lot better in HS.

Our guys would work okay with a top Oline. Trouble is, we have a mediocre, at best, Oline.

Call Wanny — we need a Ray, a Dion, or a Shady...

Go Pitt.

who was the late decommit in this class? Didn't he end up at ole Miss?

I say it’s time to give Paris Ford the ball several times a game, especially in the red zone

Reactions: 303vND
Are they all truly misses? Or possibly it’s a development issue within this program once getting here for RBs & OL? Or maybe the running back by committee approach is another issue?

I’ve been following Pitt football as an ardent fan for a long long time and can discuss their running backs going back to the early 60s with Paul Martha and Rick Leeson or the late 60s with Denny Ferris and Tony Esposito

In the ensuing 50-60 yrs, while there have been a few isolated years where we were below average in running the ball, Pitt through the decades compared to its peers has generally had a good ground game. In 2019 and 2020 , however, we are faced with two consecutive years in which we have been simply abysmal at running the ball. I cannot recall any similar two year stretch in Pitt history where we have been this bad compared to peers.

Running back is probably the single easiest position for freshman to come in and get early playing time, and therefore, of all the position groups , this is the one where you have the deepest pool of players to choose from .The fact of we have had two such a dismal consecutive seasons speaks to the general failure of our recruiting that position over a 4-5 year period .Here’s what we’ve generated on the recruiting trail over the past five years

2016----Chantez Moss
To put it bluntly we have yet to "hit" on one of these guys . To many "misses" at this position in consecutive years .

2015--- Darrin Hall
2012---- Rushel Shell

In that five year period we “hit“ on four guys ( Bennett, Conner, Ollison and Hall)

Given that a good running back can be your workhorse for 3 to 4 years, if we had "hit" on just one of our recent recruits over the past five years (and had the good fortune of keeping them healthy) we would’ve had a different season last year and our prospects looking ahead for the rest of you this year would be brighter.In short, we are paying the price for five consecutive years of subpar recruiting at the running back position

Its the O line more then anything else, the opposing team D line is in Pitts backfield the same time the RB gets the handoff, the last 3 years, they either run block well and can't pass block one year and the next year it's the opposite, but they can't do both well in the same year, this year they just flat out can't run block

I'm still not sure why Todd Sibley has not been given more carries. It is truly bizarre. He couldn't possibly be worse than the guys who have played. He is bigger and stronger than Vince and faster than AJ. He looked good in the wildcat everytime I have seen. Please can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Reactions: MajorMajors
Its the O line more then anything else, the opposing team D line is in Pitts backfield the same time the RB gets the handoff, the last 3 years, they either run block well and can't pass block one year and the next year it's the opposite, but they can't do both well in the same year, this year they just flat out can't run block
All backs pretty much look the same when there isn’t any holes to run thru.

2016----Chantez Moss

2015--- Darrin Hall
2012---- Rushel Shell

How can you call Vince Davis not 'hitting'? He is starting. Also, Carter and Izzy jury is still out. Obviously, however, you are completely right when comparing the classes as you did. I think even Chris James would be the starter on the current Pitt team.

I think Izzy or Carter will be the starter by years end.

2016----Chantez Moss

2015--- Darrin Hall
2012---- Rushel Shell

I’m also very discouraged in the RB but honestly I find it hard to imagine LeSean McCoy having success with this OLINE. Vincent Davis honestly impresses me. If he was a third down scat back everyone would love him and he would be perfect in that roll. For as far as I’m concerned, just put DJ Turner in the backfield at this point and see what he can do.
If Addison was healthy, I would be in complete favor of using Addison.

He is strong, elusive and can catch the ball out of the backfield.

His arm was limp after being injured. I hope it was not as bad as it looked.

Reactions: President Stache
A strong offensive line can make any running back look good. I will agree Pitt hasn't had a playmaker at the position in some time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT