ADVERTISEMENT

Sacred Heart Game & Other Dribbles ...

Agree with your general premise that Pitt should almost always be better in hoops than PSU analogous to the reasons PSU should almost always should be better than Pitt in football--inherent advantages.

On the other hand, the post-Dixon sorry state of Pitt basketball is a function of several factors that discouraged any interest by coaches who could have produced immediate quality results. Some are:

Perception (or reality/) that Dixon was forced out.

Coaching candidates not wanting to have their level of success measured against Dixon's entire tenure.

Incompetent AD with no sense of the attitudes/wants of the Pitt fan base.

Hiring of a washed-up coach who had never had Dixon's consistent level of success.

New hire's inability to keep the best inherited roster talent and immediately add a competent point guard and plug other holes in the roster to plateau the program as a base on which to rebuild vs blowing it all up (or letting it self destruct) rather than starting from zero.

Other issues that added to the overall toxicity that has continued?
The only thing that talks is $$$$$$$. That other crap is utter nonsense. Do you honestly believe a huge ego coach seeking a job is worried about how they will be compared to Jamie Dixon? Lousy Colorado football just picked up the hottest coach in football by paying big bucks. Money talks. Nothing else matters.

The only thing that talks is $$$$$$$. That other crap is utter nonsense. Do you honestly believe a huge ego coach seeking a job is worried about how they will be compared to Jamie Dixon? Lousy Colorado football just picked up the hottest coach in football by paying big bucks. Money talks. Nothing else matters.
I don’t think that’s entirely true
I agree nobody now at this point is worried about Dixon -
But it’s not money above all else’-
If we hire a coach only looking for a pay check we get a Kevin stallings type result

We need a coach who wants to prove himself .

prime just went from the HC at Jackson State for 3 years to a power 5 job . Do you honestly think it’s about money for him?
I don’t - since he has so much . He’s proving himself and the doubters wrong he can succeed as a HC

If we hire a coach only looking for a pay check we get a Kevin stallings type result

prime just went from the HC at Jackson State for 3 years to a power 5 job . Do you honestly think it’s about money for him?
I don’t - since he has so much . He’s proving himself and the doubters wrong he can succeed as a HC
A coach to prove himself and money to pay can be congruent.
Money can attract a large enough pool of coaches (you have to pick the right one) that want to prove themselves and have the ability to do it.
The point is we have more than enough money to get a coach that can turn this around quickly but it's about picking that right guy is the harder part.

Results matter. Period. However, this staff has demonstrated, somewhat, the ability to assemble pieces in today’s revolving roster world. It’s no longer a lucky happenstance that Mo ended up here. Can’t say that the new players this year fell into Pitt’s lap. That’s something going forward if you ask me. But…results will matter even if this staff is no longer lazy in acquiring pieces. Just win.

Especially now that multiple coaches have now come in after the legend, and repositioned Pitt as a low grade program. Nobody but our fans now remember Pitt as a power any longer. There are new (more difficult) pressures to rejuvenate a loser, but no longer any concern about “Living up To Jamie”. That’s dead and gone.

I’ve watched both teams, and I’m really not sure if Penn State is any better than we are. I really wish we would have had them in the challenge this year; I think we would have won.

Reactions: Drew1208

It’s all about money and publicity for Prime.

I’ve watched both teams, and I’m really not sure if Penn State is any better than we are. I really wish we would have had them in the challenge this year; I think we would have won.
I mean, besides having a better record, a tougher schedule, beating better teams and being way better in the KenPom they aren’t…

Reactions: Pav9870
A coach to prove himself and money to pay can be congruent.
Money can attract a large enough pool of coaches (you have to pick the right one) that want to prove themselves and have the ability to do it.
The point is we have more than enough money to get a coach that can turn this around quickly but it's about picking that right guy is the harder part.
If money wasn’t an issue he’d been fired after last season .

I’m obviously in the fire capel camp if there is no NCAA and I will give you my reason why:
Penn State.

Penn State was a dormant program, it hasn’t been to an ncaa in a LONGGGGG time and has zero advantages over Pitt. As of December 11th, they are in the NCAA field after demolishing a top 15 team on their home court in conference during year 2 of Shrew (who I pushed after Hurley passed, btw). This is the impact a great coach who has a vision and has solid assistants can have. He also has the 30th class last year after having the 27th class last year. I know his assistants and staff. They are good, but not great. I know his staff budget. Not even close to ours. The BJC is a joke for a basketball game. State College is obviously not a hoops town (although I bet they start to draw for big games).

That is all to say there is absolutely no reason Pitt should be worse than Penn State in basketball. None. Which may sound arrogant or whatever but it’s the same approach they take to us in football. And it’s 100 percent the right take. We have better resources, a more conducive environment to attract recruits, better history and better fans. And frankly, right now, we have an easier conference to win in.

But Penn State identified a coach who they thought could build a program, they killed in the portal, they killed it in HS recruiting and in just year 2 they have a shot at the NCAA and will go to at least the NIT. There is no excuse for not being in one NCAA per 5 years with the portal. It should be impossible.
I’m not in the fire Capel camp because if he’s fired that will have meant this ended up being another rough losing season.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I’m not in the fire Capel camp because if he’s fired that will have meant this ended up being another rough losing season.
There’s more evidence to point to that he will be less successful in retaining and acquiring new talent thru the portal than a splashy new hire that will have some new coach bump, imo.

Should’ve beat VCU and Vandy. If so, we’re singing a different song at this point
We would have beat Vandy if we could defend. 9 seconds left and we couldn't stay in front of our man long enough to force a contested jump shot. Instead we get beat off the dribble, Fede came to help, and we leave a weak side dump off for a layup, which of course we didn't give up due to a foul. We have to dig deeper there. You can't get beat for a layup with 9 seconds left. These guys have to want it more, and be resolute to play shut down D. We will be in that situation again, so here is to hoping the staff and players have discussed that 9 seconds of basketball and learned from it.

There’s more evidence to point to that he will be less successful in retaining and acquiring new talent thru the portal than a splashy new hire that will have some new coach bump, imo.
I’m not questioning that nor am I saying I am confident we are going to have a successful enough season to retain him. At this point I just want the fairly successful (NIT) season. If that doesn’t happen, that’s a different story.

I mean, besides having a better record, a tougher schedule, beating better teams and being way better in the KenPom they aren’t…

His numbers translate into them having about a 70% chance to beat us on a neutral court right now.

He has them squarely in between West Virginia and Michigan in his rankings. How did it turn out when we played those two?

His numbers translate into them having about a 70% chance to beat us on a neutral court right now.

He has them squarely in between West Virginia and Michigan in his rankings. How did it turn out when we played those two?
Yeah we may beat them or may not beat them but it’s hard to say they’re not a better squad than us currently and have a brighter future, unfortunately.

Fortunately, they’ll have a steeper hill to climb in the big ten than we will in the ACC

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I’m not questioning that nor am I saying I am confident we are going to have a successful enough season to retain him. At this point I just want the fairly successful (NIT) season. If that doesn’t happen, that’s a different story.
So you think an NIT season is worthy of retaining at this point?

I don't disagree and not what I was arguing.
I was saying we offer very competitive salaries to new coaches
The head coach makes about a million more and the assistant pool is about 300k higher than PSU’s budget, for example. We can land a quality Head Coach who will be able to land quality assistants and not his retired friends and brother.

Reactions: Drew1208 and BFo8
I honestly do
Because it’s progress
But we will be losing almost all of the contributors. I have a feeling Hugley will be in portal regardless this off-season (which isn’t a loss at this point). If Dior comes in and kills it and they make NIT and you have a core of Dior/Hinson/Fede going into next year it’s a different story.

Not disagreeing it wouldn’t be progress, just wondering how he could ever make the NCAA’s if he can’t with his best team that is one of the older rosters in Pitt history.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
I will say this much - I think it WILL get him retained.
Gotcha. Can’t say I agree with that decision but my job ain’t on the line with him. Unfortunately, I feel like that will make it that much harder when we eventually do part ways with him as most of the hot candidates I know would take it will probably be snatched up by then. Oh well

Gotcha. Can’t say I agree with that decision but my job ain’t on the line with him. Unfortunately, I feel like that will make it that much harder when we eventually do part ways with him as most of the hot candidates I know would take it will probably be snatched up by then. Oh well
Remember- we actually have to MAKE the NIT.

I don’t know. Really how much worse can a coach do. There is a little more joy So Far watching this team then all the other Capel’s team. But yesterday was flat out annoying not joyful. And I find that feeling with Capel’s teams too often. If he can’t make the NIT this year you guys him.

What’s he difference between a Stallings team and Capel team? You get a little more joy but in the end your season still lacked any meaning.

Disagree strongly--If a coach sees this as a career-ender with no future money--he doesn't take the job. In fact, coaches told Pitt thanks but no thanks after Stallings was canned and it wasn't due to more money elsewhere. It was because they believed it would be easier to be successful elsewhere for the same or similar money.

Especially now that multiple coaches have now come in after the legend, and repositioned Pitt as a low grade program. Nobody but our fans now remember Pitt as a power any longer. There are new (more difficult) pressures to rejuvenate a loser, but no longer any concern about “Living up To Jamie”. That’s dead and gone.
That there is no longer any concern about “Living up To Jamie” is certainly true now. However, it wasn't at the time of the Stallings hiring and firing. Instead, it is now a perception that the Pitt job is a dead end job--very sadly similar to Boston College's situation.

This subject being debated aside, IMHO Capel is kept, given the incoming recruit class and the portal to be mined, if he has a winning season (17 or more wins). Needing to make the post season (NCAAs or NIT) would not be the minimum retention criteria. At least that would be my view if I were the AD at this moment in time.

Also, as fans we can dream that Dior will be playing in January and Hugley will finally return to last seasons levels by then as well. If so, that could be enough to get to the NIT perhaps.

Last edited:
If this team falls apart, you have to make a change, whatever the cost, at year end.

If this team battles, stays together and has a chance at an NCAA bid, even a longshot, and "wins the offseason", ie., retains recruits, adds some good pieces, there is no way you make a change.

A key for next year....who is the point guard ? Nelly was a great pickup, man we could have used him for a few years. A really good point guard is so crucial to keeping a team together I have never seen Dior play, have no idea if he is the buy if he is here. lots of ifs on Dior, no matter how you look at it. we need a Nelly-like point guard for next year. Solid citizen, unselfish, smart, high motor, leader kill to win..... you need at least one guard like that on your team, ever year.

Does Big John bounce back ? do our spanish twins develop ? they are fun to watch.

Hopefully, Coach Capel has sustainable momentum. for some "fans", nothing is enough. ie, see Coach Dixon haters, the poor name calling. JIG ? the unbelievable stupidity of always wanting to fire the coach, after what we have gone through in hoops and football.

If this team falls apart, you have to make a change, whatever the cost, at year end.

If this team battles, stays together and has a chance at an NCAA bid, even a longshot, and "wins the offseason", ie., retains recruits, adds some good pieces, there is no way you make a change.

A key for next year....who is the point guard ? Nelly was a great pickup, man we could have used him for a few years. A really good point guard is so crucial to keeping a team together I have never seen Dior play, have no idea if he is the buy if he is here. lots of ifs on Dior, no matter how you look at it. we need a Nelly-like point guard for next year. Solid citizen, unselfish, smart, high motor, leader kill to win..... you need at least one guard like that on your team, ever year.

Does Big John bounce back ? do our spanish twins develop ? they are fun to watch.

Hopefully, Coach Capel has sustainable momentum. for some "fans", nothing is enough. ie, see Coach Dixon haters, the poor name calling. JIG ? the unbelievable stupidity of always wanting to fire the coach, after what we have gone through in hoops and football.
Agree 100%. The last thing I want to see is Pitt becoming a coaches graveyard. Hope Capel can really show people this year that he can get it done.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Disagree strongly--If a coach sees this as a career-ender with no future money--he doesn't take the job. In fact, coaches told Pitt thanks but no thanks after Stallings was canned and it wasn't due to more money elsewhere. It was because they believed it would be easier to be successful elsewhere for the same or similar money.
What makes it easier to be successful elsewhere? Pitt has good facilities and was very successful for about 15 years prior to Stallings.

Reactions: mo cheeks
What makes it easier to be successful elsewhere? Pitt has good facilities and was very successful for about 15 years prior to Stallings.

Why would you even want a coach that looks at what Pitt has to offer and how much Pitt puts into the program as far as salaries go and says, nah, I've got to find someplace easy for my next job?

A good coach could absolutely be successful at Pitt. And good coaches know that.

Why would you even want a coach that looks at what Pitt has to offer and how much Pitt puts into the program as far as salaries go and says, nah, I've got to find someplace easy for my next job?

A good coach could absolutely be successful at Pitt. And good coaches know that.
Yes , and most likely that coach will be sought after by other programs that would offer a better chance of success .

Pitt offered Hurley more money and he’s coaching the Huskies .

If Heather can pull a Ben Howland out of a school like NAz God bless her .

I wasn't really thinking for me. I enjoyed the game enough. I was making more of a commentary about our overall fan base in general.
The overall fan base really has no clue. We have a few hundred who know what they are talking about with respect to the college basketball landscape and the rest live in a vacuum.

Pomeroy rankings

National Rank- 78
Offensive Efficiency Rank- 66
Defensive Efficiency Rank- 87

ORTG Player Ranks

Hinson-118
Elliot-117
Fede-128
Burton-112
Cummings-108

( This 5 above for the whole season now looks good on offense efficiency wise and we have improved on offense)

Hugley-99
Diaz Graham-99
Sibande-93

G Diaz Graham-84
Santos- 67

A few thoughts on this.

1) Had we had these numbers above with 1) Dior and no legal issues and 2) Last years Hugley, we would be looking at a team that in my opinion is 9-2 instead of 7-4.

2) Our team depth currently is weak / not consistent as it stands, much weaker than anticipated preseason.

3) The offense has been at a minimum "decent" the last 5 games combined. I think the offense can be better as time goes on this season. The defense outside NC State is still a problem. Not having Burton multiple games is going to make our defense look worse.

Torvik currently projects Pitt to go 10-10 in the ACC. Would we take that as its much better than it has been? The league is lousy and our schedule isnt all that tough. Per Torvik, we still have 10 games against teams outside the Top 100. Torvik is projecting 17 regular season wins. If we hit 20 and overachieve with this weak schedule, what happens then with Capel? Like you said above, Im not sure on a lot of things either. I still think the schedule and the wins remaining hinge on the defense. The defense clearly failed at Vanderbilt and we lost. Part of that is turnover problems on our own part.
Turnovers and Foul shooting killed us at Vandy. Not mention rebounding!

But we will be losing almost all of the contributors. I have a feeling Hugley will be in portal regardless this off-season (which isn’t a loss at this point). If Dior comes in and kills it and they make NIT and you have a core of Dior/Hinson/Fede going into next year it’s a different story.

Not disagreeing it wouldn’t be progress, just wondering how he could ever make the NCAA’s if he can’t with his best team that is one of the older rosters in Pitt history.
You asked a question so I answered it
If you didn’t want contrary opinions then just make it a statement

Yes , and most likely that coach will be sought after by other programs that would offer a better chance of success .

Pitt offered Hurley more money and he’s coaching the Huskies .

If Heather can pull a Ben Howland out of a school like NAz God bless her .

We might as well just close the doors if all we can ever do is resign ourselves to the kind of basketball Jeff Capel and your hero have given us.

Fortunately, the people running things don't think like you.

Thank god.

We might as well just close the doors if all we can ever do is resign ourselves to the kind of basketball Jeff Capel and your hero have given us.

Fortunately, the people running things don't think like you.

Thank god.
Then explain why he still is employed ?

Once again you fail to read posts very well . I’ve said for awhile now he should’ve been let go already if Pitt values winning over money , which they obviously don’t .

You always like to go back to your fallback position regarding KS , but just like in this case you twist facts to fit your narrative. It must kill you to be so wrong .

Then explain why he still is employed ?

Once again you fail to read posts very well . I’ve said for awhile now he should’ve been let go already if Pitt values winning over money , which they obviously don’t .

You always like to go back to your fallback position regarding KS , but just like in this case you twist facts to fit your narrative. It must kill you to be so wrong .

It certainly does not kill me that Kevin Stallings' biggest supporter, who thought that he should keep his job until about three minutes before he got the ax, doesn't agree with me about coaches.

It also doesn't kill me that someone who thinks that Pitt can't really do any better than the last two guys doesn't agree with me either.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Ok it's cheaper next year. That's a sad excuse for a big time program. You sound like the Pirates.

Pitt needs a coach that can actually coach. Capel will never win enough here. If he makes the tournament this year. Then by all means he gets to stay.

No tournament he needs to go and start correcting the direction of your program.

Bballinsider is 100 percent correct. Look at PSU as an example how fast the program can change.

It certainly does not kill me that Kevin Stallings' biggest supporter, who thought that he should keep his job until about three minutes before he got the ax, doesn't agree with me about coaches.

It also doesn't kill me that someone who thinks that Pitt can't really do any better than the last two guys doesn't agree with me either.
Well by your logic Pitt should be able to do better, but, we f-d up the last two hires. What makes you so sure there is somebody ready to take this job and pull an immediate turnaround like Shrewsbury has done at Ped. St?? I am for canning Capel if and only if this team comes apart again. Contrary to many's beliefs, we did not have coaches knocking down our door, when Stallings was given his pink slip. It amazes me that because we had a solid decade of success under Howland/Dixon that so many think we are entitled to more of that success.

Anybody who is actively rooting against Pitt so we can replace Capel is playing with fire. This team has a chance to see the post-season, even if not great. Let's see what happens before we usher this guy out the door, because when we do, the next hire will have to be the correct one. F-ing up a 3rd time can't happen, because this program may never recover, but, I don't have a lot of faith that Pitt would get that next hire right.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr

Let’s see Pitt forced out its best coach in the modern history of the program , then hired a guy who blocked a transfer from attending Pitt , who was about to be fired . Next they identified the man they wanted and all he did was use them as leverage for the job he wanted . Accepting less money to boot . Then they hired JC giving him a contract they can’t afford to eat . Do I have any confidence in them making a good decision now , only a fool would .

I didn’t think Pitt would pony up the money to fire KS is different than supporting the guy . I understand that’s far too complicated for you to comprehend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT