ADVERTISEMENT

Say what you want about Duzz but he at least recognized the problem and made a change

pittbb80

Chancellor
Oct 9, 2004
Dont know if Bell is the answer but at least Duzz recognized he needed to modernize the approach on the offensive side of the ball.

Mediocre Mike on the other hand is stuck on the play it close to the vest for four quarters and hope to pull it out at the end. The Smith hire is incredibly uninspiring. Whats BS is the media is blaming KP for the hire. The Faclons QB room is even worse. Heck Pitts QB room doesnt fit the new OC. Using the state of the QB room to make excuses for this hire is BS

I’ll wait for the results because a Low D1 guy recruiting low d1 midgets doesn’t inspire confidence

My money is on Tomlin having more success -
Because he has proven to not fall off a cliff like Nardyinzi

Reactions: kma0043
Dont know if Bell is the answer but at least Duzz recognized he needed to modernize the approach on the offensive side of the ball.

Mediocre Mike on the other hand is stuck on the play it close to the vest for four quarters and hope to pull it out at the end. The Smith hire is incredibly uninspiring. Whats BS is the media is blaming KP for the hire. The Faclons QB room is even worse. Heck Pitts QB room doesnt fit the new OC. Using the state of the QB room to make excuses for this hire is BS
TOTALLY AGREE!! And that huge head idiot on The Fan implying that a coach wouldn't take a promotion because of the quarterback is beyond stupid!

Reactions: Lchertik

Tomlin has the national media cheering his style. Why should he make a change? Nobody is going to criticize it that is of any consequence.

Reactions: pittbb80

I don’t forgive Duzz for being Head Coach for only 1/3 of the football team.
That was inexcusable.

Totally agree with you.
Tomlin doesn't want anyone who would be the center of attention or out shine him. He is so insecure and lives in his fears. Why couldn't we wait for Kubiak with the 49'ers?
Narduzzi woke up to reality and changed. I give him credit regardless of how Bell turns out.

And with the hire all you see are the Steelers media sch just quoting Mike and Art saying they wanted a guy who had previous play calling experience. But they fail to point out the other things Tomlin said about a guy who makes it hard for defenses to figure out and who can help the QBs and other details that Artie just does not get high grades on.

And yes, the first thing I thought of yesterday when Smith was named was that Duzz actually went against form for his selection. And I think Duzz is way more stubborn than Tomlin is.

Reactions: DORT
And with the hire all you see are the Steelers media sch just quoting Mike and Art saying they wanted a guy who had previous play calling experience. But they fail to point out the other things Tomlin said about a guy who makes it hard for defenses to figure out and who can help the QBs and other details that Artie just does not get high grades on.

And yes, the first thing I thought of yesterday when Smith was named was that Duzz actually went against form for his selection. And I think Duzz is way more stubborn than Tomlin is.
Pitt was coming off of a disastrous 3-9 season.
Steelers made the playoffs and won 10 games.

The level of "desperation" are light years apart.

We'll see if the Bell thing works out, but if it doesn't take an NFL draft-caliber quarterback to operate then it's probably a good idea. Especially in the NIL age.

We'll see if the Bell thing works out, but if it doesn't take an NFL draft-caliber quarterback to operate then it's probably a good idea. Especially in the NIL age.
QB play has kind of gone south, anyway. You are seeing more and more preference towards athletic guys at the college level. Not many pure passers anymore. QB's won't be going under center as much.

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
When is Duzz going to recognize how badly he needs another defensive tackle who can stop the run?

The expectations between the two organizations are light years apart as well. That is unless the standard isn’t the standard

Absolutely correct!!!!!

I don't see how any rational person can compare Tomlin and Narduzzi in any way. The only thing they have in common is their jobs. Tomlin, for all of his alleged issues, is a highly competent, well-organized, well-spoken coach that commands enormous respect from his peer group and from many many players in the league in which he coaches. PN is none of those things.

Was going to write the same thing. I'll give him a plus-one over Tomlin on this one.

These are completely different decisions. Bell is a huge reach, but given the various limitations of the position here, was probably the best that PN could do. People are complaining about Smith because he isn't a reach, he's just not one of the sexy new candidates that pops up every year. Given KP's own limitations, it would have made no sense to go out and get a passing whiz to install an offense that KP can't run. While it's not an exciting hire, Smith makes perfect sense, and he's a known quantity.

The problem is not the Smith hire. The problem is the KP draft pick, which doesn't appear as of now to be a good one.

You are correct. Unfortunately, you've provided another outlet for the haters to chime in.

wait til tomlin brings Sullivan back as a QB coach, lol. that will go over well with steeler nation..

I don't see how any rational person can compare Tomlin and Narduzzi in any way. The only thing they have in common is their jobs. Tomlin, for all of his alleged issues, is a highly competent, well-organized, well-spoken coach that commands enormous respect from his peer group and from many many players in the league in which he coaches. PN is none of those things.
PN isn't respected by his players?

Despite your allegations, every time I see PN on the ACC network, he is very well-spoken. He seems organized beyond your expectations. And I see him as more than competent.

These are completely different decisions. Bell is a huge reach, but given the various limitations of the position here, was probably the best that PN could do. People are complaining about Smith because he isn't a reach, he's just not one of the sexy new candidates that pops up every year. Given KP's own limitations, it would have made no sense to go out and get a passing whiz to install an offense that KP can't run. While it's not an exciting hire, Smith makes perfect sense, and he's a known quantity.

The problem is not the Smith hire. The problem is the KP draft pick, which doesn't appear as of now to be a good one.
Why is Bell a reach? An offensive system is very translatable from one division to another.

PN isn't respected by his players?

Despite your allegations, every time I see PN on the ACC network, he is very well-spoken. He seems organized beyond your expectations. And I see him as more than competent.
Yup and he’s highly respected in his field. Pro defensive coordinators have studied Pitt’s defense.

His Achilles heal has been the offensive coordinator Picks.

Truth is for the limitations at Pitt he’s done a decent job.

Yup and he’s highly respected in his field. Pro defensive coordinators have studied Pitt’s defense.

His Achilles heal has been the offensive coordinator Picks.

Truth is for the limitations at Pitt he’s done a decent job.
The defense stunk year , too

He’s the actual mediocre coach in this thread .
He had on fluke season and then got rid of the OC who had an actual track record and experience

He had on fluke season and then got rid of the OC who had an actual track record and experience

Interesting.

How many good years did Whipple have at Pitt? How many good years has he had since leaving Pitt?

What is Whip doing now?

Yet NFL teams seem to think he knows something about defense

IMO, Smith was a solid hire.

Tomlin is prone to hiring ... well Matt Canada. The thing I thought he most needed was a guy, not someone he would tower over, and Smith is a guy.

I get that he wasn't what a lot of fans want, but that does not make it a bad hire. He as a successful NFL OC who leveraged that to get a HC gig. The Athletic reported he had 8 NFL teams reach out to him about their OC spots.

His style also aligns with that the Steelers want to do, but unlike Canada he actually knows the NFL game, and he won't play as horizontal as Canada did. For example those horrific pass plays where the right handed QB rolls to his left and only can complete a four yard pass - which would run a couple times a game most games.

Smith isn't going to waste time with that stupidity.

I wanted someone a little more proficient in the pass game, but he checks a lot of boxes that needed checked.

He looks like a total hipster doofus when he spends the entire game writing down notes in that little notebook and looks up with that stupid Leonard from The Big Bang Theory look on his face.... You said I could say what I want.

• Haha
Reactions: FreeportPanther

Bell is a bit of a reach--not a "huge reach".

A real reach was hiring a guy nobody else wanted with a long track record of mediocrity from a moribund program with a completely lackluster offense and expecting him to be better at Pitt. Now that was a reach.

At least Duzz has something accomplished in the last decade. I'm not a hater of Tomlin but he's a good coach who hasn't won anything in a long time.

Reactions: 303vND
At least Duzz has something accomplished in the last decade. I'm not a hater of Tomlin but he's a good coach who hasn't won anything in a long time.
Tomlin's won quite a few football games. I think we can all recognize that in their respective spheres, Tomlin has been far more successful than PN.

So, what's Modern, you guys been telling me that the good NFL offenses, especially SF aren't modern, can you give an example of an NFL team that has a modern offense? Anyone?

And Steelers are abnormal and dysfunctional, as an organization they are on a spectrum, autistic, they have extreme fear of change, can't change the coach, the offensive philosophy, the defense, the QB even the tiniest thing, even the punter! Going back decades it's impossible for them to make any substantial change ever. They have this extreme OCD behavior, they need stability as they call it, to the point that anything new or any tiny change terrifies them.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
So, what's Modern, you guys been telling me that the good NFL offenses, especially SF aren't modern, can you give an example of an NFL team that has a modern offense? Anyone?
To me, what is modern is seeing specific personnel groupings like 10/11 personnel (1 back / no TE) (1 back / 1 TE) that have limited run scheme. The "modern" run game imo - is Inside Zone and Counter G/H. The "modern" tempo seems to be faster as a whole. The "modern" drop back pass game seems to be more 1 read progressions. If you're going fast - you're limited in multiplicity. When you're a 10 personnel team, you have to put the read element into the run game in order level the #'s in the box. This requires have a mobile QB. With 11 personnel, you can essentially become a 20 personnel team and now you can be a little more diverse in the run game. I think odd fronts give 11 personnel issues at times because the run fits make it difficult to find leverage. This is where 12 personnel (1 back / 2 TE's) comes into play. Put 2 TE's on the field and now the safeties have to play very sound football - see Gronk/Hernandez vs the Steelers.

The older pro-style schemes were based in 21 personnel groupings that featured a more diverse run game. When you have 2 backs whether one is an H or a FB leads to more diversity as a whole. San Fran bases from 21 personnel and has no problem getting into both heavy sets 13/22/23 personnel but at the same time will get into 10/11 personnel. Kyle has borrowed a ton from his dad and other mentors but I think the biggest thing he's done is that he has new ways to set up receivers in the play action game. I'm not sure they do much RPO. From what I've seen, I don't think so.

In terms of teams running a "modern" attack, I usually think of Buffalo. Tons of pressure on the QB to play well in order for the offense to be successful where a team like San Fran is more of the sum of parts instead of the whole and that takes pressure off of Purdy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT