ADVERTISEMENT

Say what you want about Duzz but he at least recognized the problem and made a change

To me, what is modern is seeing specific personnel groupings like 10/11 personnel (1 back / no TE) (1 back / 1 TE) that have limited run scheme. The "modern" run game imo - is Inside Zone and Counter G/H. The "modern" tempo seems to be faster as a whole. The "modern" drop back pass game seems to be more 1 read progressions. If you're going fast - you're limited in multiplicity. When you're a 10 personnel team, you have to put the read element into the run game in order level the #'s in the box. This requires have a mobile QB. With 11 personnel, you can essentially become a 20 personnel team and now you can be a little more diverse in the run game. I think odd fronts give 11 personnel issues at times because the run fits make it difficult to find leverage. This is where 12 personnel (1 back / 2 TE's) comes into play. Put 2 TE's on the field and now the safeties have to play very sound football - see Gronk/Hernandez vs the Steelers.

The older pro-style schemes were based in 21 personnel groupings that featured a more diverse run game. When you have 2 backs whether one is an H or a FB leads to more diversity as a whole. San Fran bases from 21 personnel and has no problem getting into both heavy sets 13/22/23 personnel but at the same time will get into 10/11 personnel. Kyle has borrowed a ton from his dad and other mentors but I think the biggest thing he's done is that he has new ways to set up receivers in the play action game. I'm not sure they do much RPO. From what I've seen, I don't think so.

In terms of teams running a "modern" attack, I usually think of Buffalo. Tons of pressure on the QB to play well in order for the offense to be successful where a team like San Fran is more of the sum of parts instead of the whole and that takes pressure off of Purdy.
So, Buffalo is the only offense you'd call modern?

It would be nice if he played better so there would be no need to make excuses for him.
Since there is currently no reasonable alternative to him, they have to devise an offensive system that he can thrive in.

He obviously needs to be a "system" QB. Operate in his comfort zone, and limit mistakes and do what is asked from him.

The hope is the new OC will recognize this, an tailor the offense to accomplish this.

The same could be said for Rudolph, or any other similarly situated QB.

A QB with the arm, savvy and skillset to be a true franchise QB like Mahomes, Allen, Stroud, or similar is outside of the Steelers reach and essentially not available.
Have to make the best of what you have.

Since there is currently no reasonable alternative to him, they have to devise an offensive system that he can thrive in.

He obviously needs to be a "system" QB. Operate in his comfort zone, and limit mistakes and do what is asked from him.

The hope is the new OC will recognize this, an tailor the offense to accomplish this.

The same could be said for Rudolph, or any other similarly situated QB.

A QB with the arm, savvy and skillset to be a true franchise QB like Mahomes, Allen, Stroud, or similar is outside of the Steelers reach and essentially not available.
Have to make the best of what you have.
Maybe a losing season would be good, to be able to roll the dice on a top 10 draft pick QB and hopefully luck into another Ben, or not, if that's a bust try again.

I guess so, people here can't name who plays a modern offense.
well modern offenses are what ever the latest trends are..

RPO's of course which we all know and love, Criss crossing pre-snap motions is the newest craze and of course Romo talking about it every week is kind of annoying..

more specialized backs with little "one back" system.. bigger pass per attempts across the board and of course more passing vs running..

That's all i got. i'd say more shotguns but that's kind of been the case for 20 years..

Maybe a losing season would be good, to be able to roll the dice on a top 10 draft pick QB and hopefully luck into another Ben, or not, if that's a bust try again.
I hear this as a knock on Tomlin all the time, but how do you do that??

Intentionally lose games?? Isn't that what they asked the Miami coach to do that ended up in a lawsuit?
How do you tank on purpose??

Tomlin's curse is also his strength. He seems to get a lot out of even a weak hand. Hence the "Never had a losing season" mantra, like that's a bad thing???

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I hear this as a knock on Tomlin all the time, but how do you do that??

Intentionally lose games?? Isn't that what they asked the Miami coach to do that ended up in a lawsuit?
How do you tank on purpose??

Tomlin's curse is also his strength. He seems to get a lot out of even a weak hand. Hence the "Never had a losing season" mantra, like that's a bad thing???
good post freeport. agree, he makes bad teams above average. that is a good thing. it screws us over come draft day but again, making bad rosters decent teams is a positive trait..

it's just that he seems to make really good rosters average or slightly above average teams too. taking a 5-11 roster and going 9-8 is good. taking a 12-5 roster and going 9-8, not soo good..

Not many of any significance!
Depends? Significant enough to get into the playoffs a lot of years.
Something a lot of other franchises, the ones that change coaches like changing underwear, would love to do!

good post freeport. agree, he makes bad teams above average. that is a good thing. it screws us over come draft day but again, making bad rosters decent teams is a positive trait..

it's just that he seems to make really good rosters average or slightly above average teams too. taking a 5-11 roster and going 9-8 is good. taking a 12-5 roster and going 9-8, not soo good..
I agree with this to a certain extent.
However, you have to dive deeper into some of those underachieving years to see what happened.

One thing for sure, Tomlin didn't benefit so much from Roethlesberger because the super bowl Ben didn't hold up as well.
Also, it seemed like when the Steelers were poised to make a run, they would get the inevitable injury to a key player or two?

Also when Heath Miller retired, he was Ben's go to guy and they had a lot of trouble replacing him.
Same with the defense when Shazier had to quit. They could never find an adequate replacement.

Then the soap opera, which Tomlin could be blamed for, or lauded for keeping the circus moving forward, with Bell, Brown and JuJu.

Say what you will about the guy, but he manages to keep winning in spite of a lot of things that make another coach fold like a cheap kite.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I'll be honest, they could run the wing-t and I'd be fine with it if the Steelers managed to win a playoff game.
It's always a pecking order though.
There are teams that did win playoff games that are no better off than the Steelers are now.
Unless you can make a run and win several playoff games, in the same season, you're really no better off, and perhaps less because you get worse draft picks.

Reactions: pittdan77
3 playoff wins in 10 years lol, dear lord that's pathetic. and yet people in this city still defend mediocre mike.

crazy..
hanging you hat on wining a single title in the weakest of the power 5 conferences against the traditional powerhouse that is the fighting Brian Piccolos in a three loss season not exactly the greatest comparison model to go with...

hanging you hat on wining a single title in the weakest of the power 5 conferences against the traditional powerhouse that is the fighting Brian Piccolos in a three loss season not exactly the greatest comparison model to go with...
my post was about mike tomlin. Brian Piccolo?

Seinfeld Jerry Seinfeld GIF - Seinfeld Jerry Seinfeld What The Hell Are You Talking About GIFs

But to Pitt that was epic, like winning a Super Bowl, nothing that great has been done by Pitt in almost 50 years.

So, Buffalo is the only offense you'd call modern?
I was just giving an example. I used them because I watched them recently. I do not watch a lot of NFL football like I used to. I find it to be pretty boring in this day and age.

I did find a stat a few weeks ago that might blow some people's minds when it comes to X's and O's and modernity. When everyone says we now live in a passing era where the premise for volume is an absolute must, I read that in today's game we average 33.7 attempts per game. You would think this would be drastically different 30 years ago. However, the league average in 1993 was 32.2 attempts!!!! In 1995 the average was 34.8 attempts per game.

A long time coach friend of mine said the biggest difference in offensive football, is that coaches today have found "easier" ways to score points but the actual QB/WR play hasn't really improved. He blames rules, scheme advances, lack of practice time, and a general lack of fundamentals. Tom Brady recently said the current QB play we've seen is not very good.

I was just giving an example. I used them because I watched them recently. I do not watch a lot of NFL football like I used to. I find it to be pretty boring in this day and age.

I did find a stat a few weeks ago that might blow some people's minds when it comes to X's and O's and modernity. When everyone says we now live in a passing era where the premise for volume is an absolute must, I read that in today's game we average 33.7 attempts per game. You would think this would be drastically different 30 years ago. However, the league average in 1993 was 32.2 attempts!!!! In 1995 the average was 34.8 attempts per game.

A long time coach friend of mine said the biggest difference in offensive football, is that coaches today have found "easier" ways to score points but the actual QB/WR play hasn't really improved. He blames rules, scheme advances, lack of practice time, and a general lack of fundamentals. Tom Brady recently said the current QB play we've seen is not very good.
So many plays are designed to get PI called.
And then you have the pic plays that are either legal or illegal depending on which way the wind blows, or how clever the WR can be to disguise it.

So there are ways to design plays to make it easier to get open, throw and score? IMO this is where the Steelers Way is lacking, they don't seem to put a lot of thought into pass routes and schemes.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
So there are ways to design plays to make it easier to get open, throw and score? IMO this is where the Steelers Way is lacking, they don't seem to put a lot of thought into pass routes and schemes.
Never seemed to have a problem getting Hines, Brown, or JuJu open?

Never seemed to have a problem getting Hines, Brown, or JuJu open?
Could be they've figured out how to defend those patterns, or the current players aren't talented, or the obvious one, no QB with any talent to get the ball there.

Could be they've figured out how to defend those patterns, or the current players aren't talented, or the obvious one, no QB with any talent to get the ball there.
Yes things definitely change. People are always figuring out new things, then others figure out how to counter that.......and so it goes!!

Yes things definitely change. People are always figuring out new things, then others figure out how to counter that.......and so it goes!!
That's a problem for an autistic organization obsessed with extreme stability at all costs and never changing anything.

The Steelers with Ward used a ton of compressed formations and motions to pry those recievers open. I don't see it as much anymore.

I think it would fit kenny well because he can't drive the outside the hashes like Ben used to.

That's a problem for an autistic organization obsessed with extreme stability at all costs and never changing anything.
That's where you miss the genius of it.
IF everyone is designing defenses to stop the new thing, then the old thing will work perfectly against it!

That's where you miss the genius of it.
IF everyone is designing defenses to stop the new thing, then the old thing will work perfectly against it!
I hope your joking? Because they already know how to stop the old thing and just implement it that week.

Yet NFL teams seem to think he knows something about defense
The defense last year stunk

Listen - I like Flores - the coach is said it -
But let’s be honest
The Vikings stunk the year before and improved to below average last year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT