ADVERTISEMENT

Seat selection next week

thom67

Senior
Jul 4, 2001
seat selection for this season’s tickets begins Monday. I decided to look at the process as I select Wednesday AM. I went on the seat selection site to check out my choice of seats for the upcoming season. Imagine my surprise to find out that 1600 seats have already been selected before any of us season ticket holders even get a chance to select our seats. Almost all good seats that I would have selected are already taken! I called ticket office to see what is happening only to be told these seat are taken by 200 Pitt people and sponsors. That works out to 8 tickets per person selecting. I complained bitterly, but they said “sorry”, but nothing they can do about it. This means that many people with high priority points are going to select very early and find their good seats from last year are already gone.

seat selection for this season’s tickets begins Monday. I decided to look at the process as I select Wednesday AM. I went on the seat selection site to check out my choice of seats for the upcoming season. Imagine my surprise to find out that 1600 seats have already been selected before any of us season ticket holders even get a chance to select our seats. Almost all good seats that I would have selected are already taken! I called ticket office to see what is happening only to be told these seat are taken by 200 Pitt people and sponsors. That works out to 8 tickets per person selecting. I complained bitterly, but they said “sorry”, but nothing they can do about it. This means that many people with high priority points are going to select very early and find their good seats from last year are already gone.
New season ticket purchases made prior to May 31 will be eligible to participate in the reseating process of the Petersen Events Center and can also split payments over three months (May, June, July). Season tickets purchased after May 31 will be allocated seats in late July after the conclusion of the PEC reseating. New purchasers are encouraged to select the Price Level they desire their seats to be in.

Im not sure if this pertains to the issue.

New season ticket purchases made prior to May 31 will be eligible to participate in the reseating process of the Petersen Events Center and can also split payments over three months (May, June, July). Season tickets purchased after May 31 will be allocated seats in late July after the conclusion of the PEC reseating. New purchasers are encouraged to select the Price Level they desire their seats to be in.

Im not sure if this pertains to the issue.
Not really. I am stating that 1600 tickets are already gone before the seat selection actually starts.

Not really. I am stating that 1600 tickets are already gone before the seat selection actually starts.
Was it announced that selection starts Monday? I thought it started a few days ago.

Had you paid for your tickets and made any preliminary seat selection per the contents of this email that I got from one of the Pitt ticket office account executives back on 4/22? (Email text copied below)

“In addition to sharing the reseat timeline, I am reaching out with an important step in our selection process. Please take a look at the information that we are looking to collect and submit your responses through the form below.

Submit Your Seating & Parking Request

·Seating Preferences (Mandatory)

oUp to 5 preferences

oBe as specific as possible about the location of your desired seats

§Include section, row, and seats if possible

§Include seats specific information (aisle seats, middle of the row, close to the court, top of the section, center court, behind the basket, etc.)

·Parking Preferences (Optional)

oOnly accounts with season parking should submit a request

oUp to 3 preferences

§Include name of desired lot or garage

Please contact me directly to set up group seating requests! Group seating requests allow fans to average their Panther Club priority points and ranking in order to receive the same seat selection date and time.

**Please note that submitted requests are not exempting you from the reseating process, but are being collected in the event that you miss your selection time and we are unable to reach you. Additionally, seating and parking are selected on availability, therefore requests are not guarantees.**”

Yes I have paid for tickets already. Been through the process. Actually met with the ticket office a month ago to prepare and look at seats at the Pete that I would have a chance at getting. All the seats that I looked at are already taken. When I stated that 1600 seats are already gone, that only represented lower bowl seats. There are about 3-4 hundred upper bowl seats also gone.

What map r u looking at that shows these seats taken?
I looked at the site and can't see any seats designated as gone

"thom67" ...... let me tell you what I know ......

1) You probably already know that the reseat order of picking is based on what Group you are in and there are 4 Group's (A,B,C, and D) ..... all fans in Group A pick before anyone in Group B picks and then everyone in Group B picks before anyone in Group C picks and then everyone in Group C picks before anyone in Group D ...... Group A is 2018-2019 season ticket holders who are current Panther Club members and are placed in order by priority point rank ..... Group B is 2018-2019 season ticket holders who are not in the Panther Club and they are ordered by renewal date ....... Group C is 2019-2020 new season ticket holders who are current Panther Club members and Group C is ordered by priority point rank ...... Group D picks last and are 2019-2020 new season ticket holders not Panther Club members and are ordered by purchase date.

2) So last month (June) more or less as a courtesy to their top donors, they called the Top 200 Group A donors in rank order and let them pick their seats ..... these 200 donors in Group A were going to be the first 200 fans to get to choose their seats no matter when the process started so no one jumped ahead of anyone in this process.

3) I suspect the "sponsors" took a significant number of seats out of the 1,600 based on the seat availability when I was called in June (there were definitely many great seats available to me but there were a couple sections where a number of seats were already taken).

Last edited:
How about just becoming a group A member or quit going back and forth about it because it's not going to bring seats back so get your ticket and enjoy the games! Sheesh! Have a great weekend guys.

Silly how complicated they this. More so how odd some Pitt fans are. Maybe they should just have seat licenses so some can keep them under their pillows.

Reactions: bobfree
If 1600 are gone....and the biggest donors pick first, it would seem to me that the sections behind the club seats on the floor would be the first to go. Where all the big donors can always be found

Not unlike the past seasons at the Pete.

That would leave plenty of good opportunities in the lower bowl.

If one assumes that the OP is not a top 200 donor, it appears there are good choices left,

And it comes across as entitled whining.......

What will be hilarious is looking at the lower bowl during the games and seeing all of those empty seats that the "big donor" blowhards bought. Then during the regular season, seeing that those seats are taken by fans from visiting teams. It happened in previous years and it's going to happen again this year.

Actually this seens like this could be as much a function of moving the student section and flipping the court as seats being sold early to biggest donors.

What will be hilarious is looking at the lower bowl during the games and seeing all of those empty seats that the "big donor" blowhards bought. Then during the regular season, seeing that those seats are taken by fans from visiting teams. It happened in previous years and it's going to happen again this year.

It's always been that way. They donated and built their status, so they're entitled to do what they want with their seat. The "big donor blowhards", as you put it, are more important than you.

How about just becoming a group A member or quit going back and forth about it because it's not going to bring seats back so get your ticket and enjoy the games! Sheesh! Have a great weekend guys.

I am in group A! I pick at #400. 1600 seats are taken before the official seat selection even begins.

I am in group A! I pick at #400. 1600 seats are taken before the official seat selection even begins.
Accept your place in line already.
Selection does not start Monday, even though you would like it to. It already started with the top donors and corporate packages, as it should.

If I had to guess, i would say that those donors that have endowed scholarships may be given preferred treatment?!

My thought is, the scholarship money is there, or pledged , versus the whims of donors who may give one year and not the next

Just a thought

Reactions: bubba31
Where did you see the map that even has the seats available?

They sent out an email to season ticket holders a couple days ago that had a link that gets you there. The other way to see it, assuming you are a season ticket holder and didn't save that email, would be to log into your ticket account. There should be a link there to get to the map.

Loyality means nothing its all about the dollar and this surprises anyone !
We've been through this a million times - concurrent donation years ARE factored in, but so are total donations in dollars. Both matter, but $$ reigns supreme. I'm not sure why anyone thinks PITT should act differently than every other University out there.

Pitt's richest fans buy up chunks of tickets in football and basketball but only go to a handful of games per year. To be in the Top 200, you have to be donating, what like $50K per year? That pretty much means you are making at least $1 million/year. These folks buy what they are allowed to, just get the invoice in the mail and their secretary sends the check in. If they can make some games, if not, oh well. This is why you see so many empty club seats in football and basketball. They are sold but nobody goes and they are too rich to care about selling them on Stubhub
LOL - not even close. PITT should be that lucky.

LOL - not even close. PITT should be that lucky.

Obviously the numbers will change over time, but if you go by the chart on the web site if someone who has zero points right now donated $50,000 per year it would take six year for them to be in the top 100 donors. They don't give a points total for 200th place on the list, but an educated guess would be that it would take five years, and perhaps even only four years, to make the top 200. And that's actually pretty pathetic.

Obviously the numbers will change over time, but if you go by the chart on the web site if someone who has zero points right now donated $50,000 per year it would take six year for them to be in the top 100 donors. They don't give a points total for 200th place on the list, but an educated guess would be that it would take five years, and perhaps even only four years, to make the top 200. And that's actually pretty pathetic.
Right now, if someone were to donate $50K/year to PITT for 5 straight years I'd put them in the top 200 also. It IS pretty pathetic how bad our donation level is compared to the rest of the ACC. If dangling better hoops tickets entices more $$, it's all good. I'm happy to have them jump over us on the list.

Having said that, I know a few people in the top 200 and they definitely don't donate $50K/year. Not even close.

I called the office because I misunderstood what they said in the letter. I was guaranteed that after 52 years of being a ticket holder that we would have no problem getting our seats back in the "disabled" section again. But, on Wednesday I'll find out. If I lose those seats then I will have to make do with what I get.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I called the office because I misunderstood what they said in the letter. I was guaranteed that after 52 years of being a ticket holder that we would have no problem getting our seats back in the "disabled" section again. But, on Wednesday I'll find out. If I lose those seats then I will have to make do with what I get.
Please post after Wednesday. I have a hard time getting around a guarantee for your particular seats. That would upset me.

Was it announced that selection starts Monday? I thought it started a few days ago.

Yes. It was announced that seat selection begins at 10 am today(Monday). I just received the email from the ticket office.
By the way my seats that I have had since the Pete opened are already taken. I had planned to improve my seats, but better seats are already taken.

Yes. It was announced that seat selection begins at 10 am today(Monday). I just received the email from the ticket office.
By the way my seats that I have had since the Pete opened are already taken. I had planned to improve my seats, but better seats are already taken.

Were your old seats where the student section is now?

Same happened to us. Crazy that they are only in the low 200's rank and a lot of options are GONE.

Some may have very limited seating options.
Don't worry the game is piped into this seating area?
Beverage service is not available.
Hadrian_ElitePlus_HR.jpg

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Same happened to us. Crazy that they are only in the low 200's rank and a lot of options are GONE.

There were 200 donors/sponsors who selected seats weeks ago before the selection process even began. Those 200 took 2000 seats or 10 seats per selector.
As I think about it, I believe the reason for this reseating is to get medium donors out of their good seats so that the sponsors etc can now get the best seats away from the long time season ticket holders.

Reactions: Chaos
I don’t know if I’m looking at something wrong but the only seats showing up in ‘red’ in my view are the student sections and a handful of club seats. I don’t see 1,600 regular seats gone.

Reactions: Pittnerski
I am a season ticket holder and logged into the site per the instructions. Only the student section and a few other seats are red.

Then you aren't doing it right.

Go to your account on the Pitt web site and log in. There will be a link there (after you are logged in) in the upper right that gets you to the actual selection map.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT