ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Attn Tomlin apologists and Tomlin haters

What's Mike Mcdaniel won? He just lost to Tennessee at home?

Payton is about the same as Tomlin.
Yeah Payton and McCarthy are essentially Mike Tomlin. I started making that comparison last year and got blasted here for it.

I do love the “Tomlin will get hired in 5 minutes” take if he got fired in Pittsburgh. Well we can all name 10 other coaches who would also get hired in 5 minutes, and all those guys have won playoff games in the last 7 years.

And if Tomlin went elsewhere and wins, it doesn’t mean people were wrong about him. It just means that a change of scenery was needed.

I’ve defended Tomlin and ripped Tomlin over the past 3-4 years here. But as it turns out, the naysayers were right. They’ve won me over. I still say Tomlin is a fine coach though. If he starts surrounding himself with pedigreed coaches on his staff, he could be really good again.

Reactions: Dan1911
Again, he’s had the last 6-7 years to fix it. No ceo gets 10 years to turn an organization around, especially one he ran into the ground in the first place.

Well, they were 12-4 in 2020. That's recent. They were headed to the playoffs this year with KP and perhaps even division title. It's s not like the team is going to finish with the worst record.

Tomlin would get hired in 5 minutes but so would 7-8 other current head coaches if they were let go. Let’s try and remember that Tomlin is a good coach and not a great coach. He’s a good coach who has just gotten stale in his outdated concepts of football.

And he is a brutally poor talent evaluator when it comes to assistant coaches.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Well, they were 12-4 in 2020. That's recent. They were headed to the playoffs this year with KP and perhaps even division title. It's s not like the team is going to finish with the worst record.
The 2020 Steelers were called the worst 11-0 team ever and were exposed late in the season. They were winning this year yet did not look like a team capable of winning a playoff game. I'm still not sure if they win the last two games with PIckett. They got their butts kicked in both games.

Lol yup. It’s all gone right out the window. Does Ben realize the franchise existed before 2004? I liked him as a player but man does he say some Narduzzi level nonsense at times.

Yeah Payton and McCarthy are essentially Mike Tomlin. I started making that comparison last year and got blasted here for it.

I do love the “Tomlin will get hired in 5 minutes” take if he got fired in Pittsburgh. Well we can all name 10 other coaches who would also get hired in 5 minutes, and all those guys have won playoff games in the last 7 years.

And if Tomlin went elsewhere and wins, it doesn’t mean people were wrong about him. It just means that a change of scenery was needed.

I’ve defended Tomlin and ripped Tomlin over the past 3-4 years here. But as it turns out, the naysayers were right. They’ve won me over. I still say Tomlin is a fine coach though. If he starts surrounding himself with pedigreed coaches on his staff, he could be really good again.
Not that my rankings are that special but I would put these guys at:

1) Payton
2) Tomlin
3) McCarthy

I think there’s a decent sized distinction between #1 and #2, and between #2 and #3 as well.

Tomlin is like the Doc Rivers of the NFL. He needs a ton of talent absolutely everywhere to win. Makes bad tactical decisons in-game (worst in the league by far on 4th down decisions and challenges). Never really exceeds expectations because he is not a teacher or an innovator. He's just a guy who motivates his All-Stars and tells them to go play. Unfortunately, the Steelers are down to 2 All-Stars (both on defense) and one of them has been hurt a lot this year.

I can see Tomlin winning a lot in a place like Buffalo that has a pretty good roster. But if he stays here or goes to DC the results will be the same.

The Steelers have a developing roster (to put it charitably). They need someone who understands what each player does well/poorly and then coaches accordingly. Just like you don't ask Marty Schottenheimer to get you over the top, you do not ask Mike Tomlin to build a 7-9 team into a 12 win team. It just ain't gonna happen.
Always been my assessment of him.

Mostly just going along for the ride.1

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Do you know how hard it is to do what's he's done? So hard that no other person has ever achieved it?

It's not a coincidence as soon as Tom Brady stops taking a discount the pats haven't won shit. Kansas City is 8-5.

The last two games have been awful. And not moving on from Matt Canada was a terrible decision that might wreak his tenure here. But the dudes legit.
Hoodie won 6 SBs with Brady and a rolling collection of cast offs and misfits.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and Dan1911
What counts all depends on your agenda.

The brand went 26 years between championships from 1980 to 2006. Was that my father's Steelers or my grandfather's?
Even Chuck Noll was not immune to over staying his time.

The Steelers were literally .500 for the 80s.

But, the Cowher hire immediately reinvigorated them, and he reinstituted the tough, physical mentality that Noll brought in the 70s, with a more updated defensive scheme and power run game. Ran off 5-6 division titles in a row. He wasn't perfect, fell flat in too many AFC championship games, but once he had Ben was finally able to the franchise back to winning SBs.

MT hit the powerball, took over a team one year removed from winning the SB with a franchise QB going into his prime and one of the best defenses of the last few decades in the league, and won his SB with them, and Cowhers coaches to boot.

His big years came mostly with the players, schemes and normative system he inherited.

That team was lucky as hell, cheap shotted Carson Palmer in game 1 of the playoffs, had a miraculous tackle by Big Ben to save the Colts game, then literally had the refs hand them the Super Bowl where Ben had hilariously bad stats
That was all beautiful, I always tell Seattle fans that I'm happy the refs cheated for the Steelers, that bothers them more than if you try to rationalize it :)

And it should be totally obliterated, and I mean the whole conservative offense, establish the run, win with defense GARBAGE, that CRAP should be put into a dumpster and set on fire.
jaylen warren is pretty much our best offensive player. we got dionte that runs backwards, pickens that takes plays off and to quote merrill hoge, a tight end in friermuth that when he tries to block, it looks like turtles humping so i think abandoning the run game right now isnt a good strategy..

• Love
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Tomlin has earned the chance to right the ship. Just like Narduzzi.
The problem with this statement is that the Steelers, as a franchise, have very different goals than Pitt does. I mean, one exists purely for the sake of winning football games and the other has a football team because that's what big universities do.

You also seem to suggest that the ship just went sideways pretty recently. Hardly the case. I think Tomlin. like the Hoodie, have benefited from having the kind of QB's and role players that can carry a franchise. Of course one capitalized on it and the other just talked in circles about his failings.

The biggest issue with saying Tomlin earned the right to fix this is that, by his own words and actions, Tomlin doesn't really see the ship as being off course. The fact he brought Canada back for another season is pretty much all of the evidence you need. It was a lazy to even promote the guy in the first place because there really didn't seem to be an authentic search done to look at anyone outside of the organization. And he's done that a couple of times. So if what you're doing isn't working and your guy has never concluded that you need to inject something fresh and different to solve the problem, it's pretty unlikely he's going to change his ways. I mean, I give Duzz some credit in that he is at least smart enough to realize that what he's been doing offensively isn't working and is going for something completely new. It may fail spectacularly and blow up in his face but you can at least give him some credit for trying something outside of his comfort zone. I don't see Tomlin doing something like that because I don't think he's capable of admitting that just kind of getting by isn't good enough to win a championship.

The problem with this statement is that the Steelers, as a franchise, have very different goals than Pitt does. I mean, one exists purely for the sake of winning football games and the other has a football team because that's what big universities do.

You also seem to suggest that the ship just went sideways pretty recently. Hardly the case. I think Tomlin. like the Hoodie, have benefited from having the kind of QB's and role players that can carry a franchise. Of course one capitalized on it and the other just talked in circles about his failings.

The biggest issue with saying Tomlin earned the right to fix this is that, by his own words and actions, Tomlin doesn't really see the ship as being off course. The fact he brought Canada back for another season is pretty much all of the evidence you need. It was a lazy to even promote the guy in the first place because there really didn't seem to be an authentic search done to look at anyone outside of the organization. And he's done that a couple of times. So if what you're doing isn't working and your guy has never concluded that you need to inject something fresh and different to solve the problem, it's pretty unlikely he's going to change his ways. I mean, I give Duzz some credit in that he is at least smart enough to realize that what he's been doing offensively isn't working and is going for something completely new. It may fail spectacularly and blow up in his face but you can at least give him some credit for trying something outside of his comfort zone. I don't see Tomlin doing something like that because I don't think he's capable of admitting that just kind of getting by isn't good enough to win a championship.

Concerning rumors now that Eddie Faulkner will be promoted from RB coach to OC after the season. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if that happened and I think it would cause me to get off the Steelers train for the first time in my life.

They simply can't hire internally after having a train-wreck offense for 3+ years. Can't happen.

Concerning rumors now that Eddie Faulkner will be promoted from RB coach to OC after the season. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if that happened and I think it would cause me to get off the Steelers train for the first time in my life.

They simply can't hire internally after having a train-wreck offense for 3+ years. Can't happen.
that would be the epitome of a true Tomlin hire.

jaylen warren is pretty much our best offensive player. we got dionte that runs backwards, pickens that takes plays off and to quote merrill hoge, a tight end in friermuth that when he tries to block, it looks like turtles humping so i think abandoning the run game right now isnt a good strategy..
All I'm saying, is if you want to build something into the future, build something modern, running the ball would be a part of it, but not like pounding the Bus up the gut over and over again, more like what Miami does or KC or SF, look to coaches like McDaniel or Shanahan, not with the intent of minimizing mistakes, but looking to pile up mountains of TDs fast and often with chunk plays downfield in the pass game as much as you can. No offense (pun intended :) ), but your post is like Tomlin's attitude, only looking ahead as far as the next game and never beyond at a bigger picture.

All I'm saying, is if you want to build something into the future, build something modern, running the ball would be a part of it, but not like pounding the Bus up the gut over and over again, more like what Miami does or KC or SF, look to coaches like McDaniel or Shanahan, not with the intent of minimizing mistakes, but looking to pile up mountains of TDs fast and often with chunk plays downfield in the pass game as much as you can. No offense (pun intended :) ), but your post is like Tomlin's attitude, only looking ahead as far as the next game and never beyond at a bigger picture.
dude, jerome bettis hasnt played in close to two decades. wtf are you talking about? we were putting up video game numbers with Ben, Bell and AB, ben was throwing 500 yards in back to back games, 5 TD passes, over 5k yards in 2018. Bell running deep patterns as a RB out of the backfield. AB was putting up 1600 yards, did you miss the steelers between 2010 - 2018?

seriously, did you just not watch for the better part of a decade? You bring up jerome bettis as your example, f'in dude retired 19 years ago. you say stupid crap all the time, ben played conservative is the best. He's top 15 in highest YPA in NFL history.

make a good point, one valid point and please quit being a clown..

Last edited:

that would be the epitome of a true Tomlin hire.
Zeldas nailed it. Not really a surprise at all and that's exactly why Tomlin doesn't deserve to have time to "right the ship". I'm convinced that he doesn't think the ship is headed the wrong way.

A couple of examples at the weakest area of the team.

Influential in taking Najee Harris or Pat Freiermuth over All-Pro center Creed Humphrey. RB and TE are the two least valuable positions on offense.

Played Kevin Dotson away from his natural position, which he admittedly struggled to adjust. He lost his starting position and they traded him. LA plays him at his natural position and he's one of the best guards in the league.

Also, Keeanu Benton has been one of the best players on the Steelers defense and he saw his snap count limited in favor of less productive players. He was finally named starter this week.

Minkah Fitzpatrick has been playing as a box safety more than centerfield limited his big play ability. For a defense that needs splash plays to succeed, they've taken this away from him.
Great post!! Spot on!!

Reactions: Burgh15
Zeldas nailed it. Not really a surprise at all and that's exactly why Tomlin doesn't deserve to have time to "right the ship". I'm convinced that he doesn't think the ship is headed the wrong way.
I’ve said repeatedly I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t hire his buddy Faulkner

I’ve said repeatedly I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t hire his buddy Faulkner
It wouldn't be shocking at all. The test for if it makes sense is, would any other club be approaching the Steelers to talk to Faulkner about being an OC and the answer is, hell no, but Tomlin will do it without giving it much thought. Was the same thing with Canada. There isn't a single HC or GM that would have wanted that guy as an OC when the Steelers hired him and I doubt anyone thinks that his genius just hasn't been appreciated. Heck of a way to run a team.

Let's see who he hires for OC. He should be on the chopping black if the wrong decision is made and they don't get better.

dude, jerome bettis hasnt played in close to two decades. wtf are you talking about? we were putting up video game numbers with Ben, Bell and AB, ben was throwing 500 yards in back to back games, 5 TD passes, over 5k yards in 2018. Bell running deep patterns as a RB out of the backfield. AB was putting up 1600 yards, did you miss the steelers between 2010 - 2018?

seriously, did you just not watch for the better part of a decade? You bring up jerome bettis as your example, f'in dude retired 19 years ago. you say stupid crap all the time, ben played conservative is the best. He's top 15 in highest YPA in NFL history.

make a good point, one valid point and please quit being a clown..
Even with Ben it was too conservative, they usually started games conservative, fell behind, and maybe Ben would be allowed to fully open up near halftime, they never had aggression the whole game, like maybe open the game no huddle and try to score in 3-4 plays on the first drive. Ben is 3rd all time behind only Brady and Peyton in 4th quarter comebacks, a lot of that is the same as Kenny having 4th quarter comebacks, they didn't truly let Ben play the whole game. The let him cut it loose only when there was no other choice.

The Steeler Way went down the drain when Tomlin let Antonio Brown stay at a hotel during training camp when every other player was at the Saint Vincent campus. Nobody should care about the achievements of a coach from 8 or 9 years ago. Look at the entire body of work from the last 3 or 4 seasons and draw your own conclusions.

There is a reason that CEO's of public traded companies only stay 10 to 12 years. There is a reason that the President of a university only stays 10 years or so. They get stale and the board decides its time for a change. No shame in that.

I still look at Tomlins coaching tree and he just doesnt produce assistants that move up the ladder carrer wise.

Its time for a new leader with a new voice.
If there ever was such a a thing as the steeler way it went down well before that. See Harrison, James.

I always was a Tomlin supporter. Their record was good, and I admit a personal bias that he and especially his wife I know of doing some good things locally that predisposed me towards him. But mostly I think he had a good tenure.

But every coach can outlast their time at a team. It's best for both the Steelers and Mike Tomlin to move on. He's made millions of dollars and can get a job elsewhere; I don't really feed bad for these guys when they're let go. And the Steelers need a fresh approach with a coach that has urgency to rebuild the roster more aggressively.

Do you think there’s any substance to rumors at this point in the season about Faulkner or whomever being promoted to OC? I sure wouldn’t bet any $ on it.

Do you think there’s any substance to rumors at this point in the season about Faulkner or whomever being promoted to OC? I sure wouldn’t bet any $ on it.
Anything that sounds stupid is possible with idiots like Rooney and Tomlin running the show.

I don't know. I do know that not doing a serious search in the market and then promoting an unqualified person from within the coaching staff is their MO recently so I have no reason to doubt the rumors.

Last edited:
the brand, the steeler "way", the tradition, whatever you want to call it, it's over..

Shall we count the anti steeler way things that Ben provided? Lol. GMAFB Gene.

There is no steeler way! Unless you count hanging onto coaches in spite of themselves as the steeler way.

I could probably list 10 things in any given two year period that was anti steeler way. Let’s start with Harrison, Martavus, Ben, Blount, AB, and Lev Bell circa 2017-2018. That ought to keep us busy for a while.

But by the steeler way, if Ben means “winning”, well we can go there too. Hey Ben you won 3 of your last 10 playoff games in your prime. Is that the steeler way?

In any event I’m late to this and there’s another page of posts I have yet to read. If my points are redundant I apologize.

But let’s blame Kenny!! Yinzers are so illiterate when it comes to football IQ. Well any IQ really. Lol.

If Rooney sits down with Tomlin at years end and asks him his plans for the offense…and Tomlin went on to discuss Eddie being the OC, Rooney needs to break into his best Vince McMahon you’rrrrrre fired” voice.

Shall we count the anti steeler way things that Ben provided? Lol. GMAFB Gene.

There is no steeler way! Unless you count hanging onto coaches in spite of themselves as the steeler way.

I could probably list 10 things in any given two year period that was anti steeler way. Let’s start with Harrison, Martavus, Ben, Blount, AB, and Lev Bell circa 2017-2018. That ought to keep us busy for a while.

But by the steeler way, if Ben means “winning”, well we can go there too. Hey Ben you won 3 of your last 10 playoff games in your prime. Is that the steeler way?

In any event I’m late to this and there’s another page of posts I have yet to read. If my points are redundant I apologize.
Ben calling out the steeler culture changing is quite hilarious. Considering his prima Donna attitude was a big part of why the locker room and lack of leadership is what it is.

The guy was a great qb but leadership skills were pretty much non existent.

Reactions: Dan1911
Ben calling out the steeler culture changing is quite hilarious. Considering his prima Donna attitude was a big part of why the locker room and lack of leadership is what it is.

The guy was a great qb but leadership skills were pretty much non existent.
Why's Ben getting called out when Warren and Johnson both said players took the Cardinals too lightly and didn't focus enough in practice or Minkah Fitzpatrick calling out teammates for expecting to win just by putting on the black and gold. Or how about other retired players such as Clark, Ward, Greene, Bleier, etc. who have all called the team out in recent years.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Why's Ben getting called out when Warren and Johnson both said players took the Cardinals too lightly and didn't focus enough in practice or Minkah Fitzpatrick calling out teammates for expecting to win just by putting on the black and gold. Or how about other retired players such as Clark, Ward, Greene, Bleier, etc. who have all called the team out in recent years.
he's not getting called out. Ben is calling out the steelers culture and tradition are gone and calling out this team's leadership, or lack therof.

And i think it's ironic coming from him when his poor leadership was a BIG reason for the decline of tomlin running a disciplined locker room.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT