ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT: Seton La Salle Recruiting

If they play in another class thats fine. But private schools have no business competing against public schools, even though the best public schools are also recruiting. Even still almost all of the teams winning state Championships are private.
Back in the early 90s
I can say new castle was recruiting
not only did a couple kids from Texas somehow ended up moving to new castle - but a few of the best players from Shenango, Union , mohawk etc were openly asked to move into the city district to raise their profile for colleges
And of course cherry-picking kids from George junior republic- usually to add size

If they play in another class thats fine. But private schools have no business competing against public schools, even though the best public schools are also recruiting. Even still almost all of the teams winning state Championships are private.

For sure they should be in another class.

I definitely think if you move into a school district, you should be eligible for all activities in that school district. If you moved there to play football or baseball, so be it. If someone from that school recruited to play a sport, so be it. So, I guess I don't have a problem with recruiting, but as you said there are currently rules against it so those who violate them deserve punishment until the rules change.

In a perfect world, I guess all transfers would always be eligible and that would save everyone a lot of headaches. In that same world though, schools without geographic boundaries (privates) would not compete in the same leagues as public schools. Let them have their own leagues. Otherwise, it is just club sports. Why not let AAU teams sign up for the WPIAL basketball playoffs then? Same difference as a private school that recruits a bunch of AAU players from all over the place to play on the same high school team.

I definitely think if you move into a school district, you should be eligible for all activities in that school district. If you moved there to play football or baseball, so be it. If someone from that school recruited to play a sport, so be it. So, I guess I don't have a problem with recruiting, but as you said there are currently rules against it so those who violate them deserve punishment until the rules change.

In a perfect world, I guess all transfers would always be eligible and that would save everyone a lot of headaches. In that same world though, schools without geographic boundaries (privates) would not compete in the same leagues as public schools. Let them have their own leagues. Otherwise, it is just club sports. Why not let AAU teams sign up for the WPIAL basketball playoffs then? Same difference as a private school that recruits a bunch of AAU players from all over the place to play on the same high school team.
My perfect world (won’t happen):
3 classes
pro/rel
For team sports:
Lowest: section only
Middle: section and district
High: section, district and state titles

For individual sports, teams have pro/ rel for section titles. District and state titles are point based. One championship per district. One state championship.

If the family’s primary residence is in the school district, then there should be no restrictions on the student’s academics or athletics within that school district. The same should apply if the family pays for a private school education.

If the family’s primary residence is in the school district, then there should be no restrictions on the student’s academics or athletics within that school district. The same should apply if the family pays for a private school education.
You'll have the family who rents a cheap apartment during football season but doesn't live there but if the family claims they really are living there, you have to take their word unless the WPIAL hires a someone to stake them out which they would be stupid to do.

if a family completely uproots itself and moves why on earth should they be handicapped?

the issue i have is when a kid moves in with auntie or uncle to get into a school district for a year or 2. even then there are valid reasons for the move in some cases though

I know this, whoever is doing a good job recruiting in high school needs to help out Jeff Capel. Because we ain't doing so good for Pitt basketball.

Reactions: PeetWeet1
You'll have the family who rents a cheap apartment during football season but doesn't live there but if the family claims they really are living there, you have to take their word unless the WPIAL hires a someone to stake them out which they would be stupid to do.

I had a parent once who tried to get his kid to play at our school by renting out an apartment in our district. I asked him if he was going to live there. He said "me personally?" "No, I'm going to keep a few of my pit bulls up there."

I just shook my head and said maybe your son is better off at your home school. lol...

I had a parent once who tried to get his kid to play at our school by renting out an apartment in our district. I asked him if he was going to live there. He said "me personally?" "No, I'm going to keep a few of my pit bulls up there."

I just shook my head and said maybe your son is better off at your home school. lol...
Yea but as long as you say you are living there and it cannot be proven definitively that you arent, I dont know how a kid can be ruled ineligible. Like I said, if the WPIAL hired a PI to stake out the apartment and it was determined no one was living there, fine, but is that really necessary?

Yea but as long as you say you are living there and it cannot be proven definitively that you arent, I dont know how a kid can be ruled ineligible. Like I said, if the WPIAL hired a PI to stake out the apartment and it was determined no one was living there, fine, but is that really necessary?

In Maryland at least where I was coaching, if there was reasonable suspicion, they would monitor a families residence. I know several families who got busted. Usually they get ratted out and the county would investigate.

Maryland's red tape in athletics is way thicker than PA's.

The transfer rules are extremely rigid.

That's why publics and privates are separated in that state.

It doesn't solve the problem of recruiting though. It actually makes things worse. The MPSSAA (MD's version of the PIAA) and the MIAA (private schools) are completely separate entities. Neither have jurisdiction over one another. So the MIAA schools openly recruit with no penalties. I've said for years that PA does not want that model. If anything play those schools throughout the regular season and separate for playoffs.

Reactions: Mikefln
In Maryland at least where I was coaching, if there was reasonable suspicion, they would monitor a families residence. I know several families who got busted. Usually they get ratted out and the county would investigate.

It doesn't solve the problem of recruiting though. It actually makes things worse. The MPSSAA (MD's version of the PIAA) and the MIAA (private schools) are completely separate entities. Neither have jurisdiction over one another. So the MIAA schools openly recruit with no penalties. I've said for years that PA does not want that model. If anything play those schools throughout the regular season and separate for playoffs.

If the PIAA wants to waste money to hire PI's to stake out apartments, that is fine. If not, then every kid whose family says is living in the new apartment HAS TO be eligible unless it can be proven without a doubt they are not and that would be impossible to do without a PI.

If the PIAA wants to waste money to hire PI's to stake out apartments, that is fine. If not, then every kid whose family says is living in the new apartment HAS TO be eligible unless it can be proven without a doubt they are not and that would be impossible to do without a PI.
Or, just let a kid that goes to a school play for the school.

Yep
Why this gets any more complicated than that - I don’t know .
Because for some strange reason, people feel if a kid grows up in a certain neighborhood, he belongs to that neighborhood/school. They act like that student is the schools property instead of a free citizen able to do what is best for their life. It is a strange attitude to say the least.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Because for some strange reason, people feel if a kid grows up in a certain neighborhood, he belongs to that neighborhood/school. They act like that student is the schools property instead of a free citizen able to do what is best for their life. It is a strange attitude to say the least.
I don't think that is the issue. It's not about an individual kid making a choice to go somewhere. It's that in aggregate, if a school's roster is full of recruited kids from all over the place, then that is an AAU team. Why are they playing in a league designed for community-based teams from local school districts?

Simple question - should an AAU basketball team like the WPA Bruins be allowed to enter a team in the WPIAL basketball playoffs tournament?

I don't think that is the issue. It's not about an individual kid making a choice to go somewhere. It's that in aggregate, if a school's roster is full of recruited kids from all over the place, then that is an AAU team. Why are they playing in a league designed for community-based teams from local school districts?

Simple question - should an AAU basketball team like the WPA Bruins be allowed to enter a team in the WPIAL basketball playoffs tournament?
Key word is school, not community. However, I can tell you that the NA Cavemen have been welcomed into some grade school BB tournaments. The world didn’t end.

I know this. If I moved my family into a district, and had to pay the taxes, and my kid would be ruled ineligible, I would sue anyone and everyone based on the fact that if I am paying taxes, then it shouldn't matter what the kid transferred to that district for.

I know this. If I moved my family into a district, and had to pay the taxes, and my kid would be ruled ineligible, I would sue anyone and everyone based on the fact that if I am paying taxes, then it shouldn't matter what the kid transferred to that district for.

Yea me too. The PIAA is so messed up. I can't stand it.

The PIAA, NCAA, and US Soccer Federation. 3 organizations that cant get out of their own way.

Why would the PIAA do anything. Most schools have attendance officers that do that type of thing daily.

In Maryland, they wouldn't just ask for an address. There was utility verification at both residences. But, most times those students were ratted out and then the county would investigate.

That is interesting. I covered high school sports in Maryland (Frederick Co and west, although we would go into Carroll, Montgomery & Howard Co a little too) and I recall watching a kid play football for one team, starting a basketball season for the same team. Being kicked off the basketball team, and transferring schools and finishing the year at a rival school in the county, while leading them deep into the state playoffs.

I think that a lot of what Maryland (MPSSAA) does in high school sports would be great for the WPIAL and PIAA to embrace, but I always viewed Maryland's transfer and eligibility rules to be very lax.

There are too many people on this forum and in this world who think amateur athletes need to be restricted more than any other student

It’s assinine

Reactions: Saboteur II

Is the aau team plaayeee. inside one school district where those kids reside ?
Then yes

what are we talking about here? Certain schools always have better teams than others - for a variety of reasons .

if little Timmy is sad because his school’s team lost badly to a different team-
Tell Timmy life ain’t fair and learning to lose is part of life

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Is the aau team plaayeee. inside one school district where those kids reside ?
Then yes

what are we talking about here? Certain schools always have better teams than others - for a variety of reasons .

if little Timmy is sad because his school’s team lost badly to a different team-
Tell Timmy life ain’t fair and learning to lose is part of life
I don't think anyone is complaining about a team that's just better. My son goes to a school which is very good at wrestling but they do not recruit wrestlers. They have won by developing kids from elementary on up. They have placed multiple times in the last 5 years but several catholic schools have added kids from all over the country and now they pretty much dominate. There is no way my son's school can consistently compete with a school which brings kids in from nj georgia and ohio along with the best in pa. Those kids should be able to compete in the individual state tournament because it's a individual tournament but the team tournament shouldn't include any teams that are able to recruit. Football is really similar

That is interesting. I covered high school sports in Maryland (Frederick Co and west, although we would go into Carroll, Montgomery & Howard Co a little too) and I recall watching a kid play football for one team, starting a basketball season for the same team. Being kicked off the basketball team, and transferring schools and finishing the year at a rival school in the county, while leading them deep into the state playoffs.

I think that a lot of what Maryland (MPSSAA) does in high school sports would be great for the WPIAL and PIAA to embrace, but I always viewed Maryland's transfer and eligibility rules to be very lax.

I am not one to vote against a player transferring but you hit on something I am against. Once the season starts, there should be very strict guidelines that keeps a player eligible, I do not (and we all should not want) to see midseason transfers. There is a need to stop a player from switching teams mid-season. And after x amount of games (I would argue 25%) played, no player should be eligible to play at new school for that season.

I will never forget back in the early 2000's when the tea-bagging incident happened at PCC and the school pulled themselves out of the playoffs. There was like 3 games left in the season and Andrew Johnson transferred to North Hills and everyone was petitioning for him to play that season. If he wanted to play basketball that year , no problem in my mind, but transfer with most of the season played and expect to play the last few and playoffs, GTFO of here with that crap.

Reactions: KR519
Well, all the schools in the Pittsburgh area aren't recruiting, so the ones that are should be punished. Bigger picture, the privates schools should play in their own league or all have to play in the largest classification like PCC does. Too many privates schools recruiting players to teams then pounding their chest about the section and WPIAL Championships they win like they did anything other than rig the game in their favor.

Also, it is disappointing that faith-based schools are willing to compromise morals and ethics for high school sports.
Recruiting kids to a better school is very moral and ethical. Saves money for the taxpayers,too.

Which tax payers?
Seems zero sum
No, I think he makes a good point there. If the kids goes from public school to private school, the public school he left doesn't have to pay any of his educational expenses (books, sports equipment, bunsen burners) but still gets his parents tax$.

Unfortunately his 'better school' is partially off. if the private school they go to is Sewickley Academy or Shadyside Academy or a few others then probably they are going to a better school. but the catholic schools in our area that are the ones mostly doing the recruiting, they way overrate their own educational value and their facilities are mostly crap. I'd much rather go to pine-richland, NA, hampton, upper st clair, etc than serra or canevin or seton.

If the kids goes from public school to private school, the public school he left doesn't have to pay any of his educational expenses (books, sports equipment, bunsen burners) but still gets his parents tax$.

So do they refund that money back to the taxpayers, or do they find something else to spend it on?

catholic schools in our area that are the ones mostly doing the recruiting, they way overrate their own educational value and their facilities are mostly crap. I'd much rather go to pine-richland, NA, hampton, upper st clair, etc than serra or canevin or seton.

As an Alum of Canevin who spent first 2 years at Seton, I agree and disagree. I can't speak about Serra a but the other 2 have really upgraded their academic facilities over the past decade.

Are the public schools you mentioned better funded still? Yes, but the gap is not as large as you think. Plus the chance for more individual instruction is greater at the Catholic schools due to class size. At the end of the day I think they are equal with those top schools you mentioned at worst a step beneath them.

But not all public schools are like the ones you mentioned. For every school you mentioned (and the few others you didn't SF, MT Lebo) that rate high there are multiple public schools that rate average or worse, where the Catholic school option is the better option.

Reactions: KR519
As an Alum of Canevin who spent first 2 years at Seton, I agree and disagree. I can't speak about Serra a but the other 2 have really upgraded their academic facilities over the past decade.

Are the public schools you mentioned better funded still? Yes, but the gap is not as large as you think. Plus the chance for more individual instruction is greater at the Catholic schools due to class size. At the end of the day I think they are equal with those top schools you mentioned at worst a step beneath them.

But not all public schools are like the ones you mentioned. For every school you mentioned (and the few others you didn't SF, MT Lebo) that rate high there are multiple public schools that rate average or worse, where the Catholic school option is the better option.
Be careful with better/ worse. It has much more to do with fit, imo. A kid that loves being in musicals but isn’t good enough to be a professional should not go to NA. One that is that good would be well served by NA, CAPA or Lincoln Park.

No, I think he makes a good point there. If the kids goes from public school to private school, the public school he left doesn't have to pay any of his educational expenses (books, sports equipment, bunsen burners) but still gets his parents tax$.

Unfortunately his 'better school' is partially off. if the private school they go to is Sewickley Academy or Shadyside Academy or a few others then probably they are going to a better school. but the catholic schools in our area that are the ones mostly doing the recruiting, they way overrate their own educational value and their facilities are mostly crap. I'd much rather go to pine-richland, NA, hampton, upper st clair, etc than serra or canevin or seton.
But tax payers are paying the same taxes at each school
Hence zero sum

There are too many people on this forum and in this world who think amateur athletes need to be restricted more than any other student

It’s assinine
Worse than that. I think there are too many 60 year old Bosco's, living in Ampipe's glory days, get mad when the best player in that district decides he can have better opportunities at a Central Catholic. Parents of current players, I get it, it is emotional it is your kid. Adults who have no real skin in the game, I don't.

And here's what blows my mind. Isn't the idea of high school is to prepare yourself for life, to give you opportunities, mostly for college, that hopefully leads to a better job. So if a parent decides to move, or even own an apartment to live in or pay tuition to a private school to give their kid a better chance to succeed whether it is a math and science program, a music program or yes, sports. As long as they are living in the district and paying school or wage taxes, or in the case of private schools, tuition, that should be the end of it.

It’s assinine

I'm generally in favor of college transfers because you aren't beholden to a school based on where you live. I have mixed emotions about HS because there are supposed to be somewhat strict rules that seem to be applied differently and arbitrarily all the time. I've always had a bug up my backside about private, wealthier, schools that pluck athletes from the surrounding area in order to build all-star teams and then proceed to kick the snot out of everyone until somewhat deep into the playoffs. Again, lets have rules that are clear and enforceable so that everyone knows what the rules are and make it clear. If you can't do that, get rid of the rule because this is a dumb way to do it.

I am not one to vote against a player transferring but you hit on something I am against. Once the season starts, there should be very strict guidelines that keeps a player eligible, I do not (and we all should not want) to see midseason transfers. There is a need to stop a player from switching teams mid-season. And after x amount of games (I would argue 25%) played, no player should be eligible to play at new school for that season.

I will never forget back in the early 2000's when the tea-bagging incident happened at PCC and the school pulled themselves out of the playoffs. There was like 3 games left in the season and Andrew Johnson transferred to North Hills and everyone was petitioning for him to play that season. If he wanted to play basketball that year , no problem in my mind, but transfer with most of the season played and expect to play the last few and playoffs, GTFO of here with that crap.
Fair points. With regard to facilities, I was speaking mostly of athletic facilities since we were talking about choosing schools based on athletics. My niece went to Seton and they did not have a pool or a football field, which was mostly fine to her since she didn't play football and didn't want to have swim class with a bunch of teenage boys. But she was a cheerleader/dancer and they just practiced on a patch of grass outside the school or something. I know North Catholic just got all those new school facilities and PCC built some amazing STEM center so I didn't mean to be too hard on the Catholic schools, and they are certainly better choices than some public school districts. But I looked into a couple of Catholic high schools for my children a few years back and the staffs at both where really over the top making it seems like they offered "Harvard" educations and our public school (Char Valley) was community college by comparison. We went the public school route and one graduated GA Tech and the other is at Pitt now, was just fine for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT