ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Davis anonymous coaches chatter

JD1976

Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2005
Here’s what was said to him about Pitt by an anonymous ACC coach

Pittsburgh

“They remind me of the old Ben Howland/Jamie Dixon teams. Their physicality can really mess you up. They’re an old team, and Jeff Capel lets them take a lot of ownership. They are very serious about it. They communicate to each other, and they hold each other accountable. Jamarius Burton is very strong. You have to have somebody in the gap on him. You have to take away Blake Hinson’s 3s, make him put it on the floor. A defender with length can disrupt his shots because he’s not that big. They don’t have an inside presence. They’ve had a favorable league schedule to this point. They don’t score the ball in the post, but they’re sharing the ball. Nelly Cummings has been an unbelievable addition.”

I too didn’t get the favorable schedule comment. Their first 5 games of the season were back-to-back road games at NC ST and Cuse and then a three-game homestand with UNC, UVA and Clemson. Hardly favorable.

The only favorable point that I could see argued is the fact that Pitt has had UNC, UVA, Miami, Wake and Clemson at home.

Pittsburgh

“They remind me of the old Ben Howland/Jamie Dixon teams. Their physicality can really mess you up. They’re an old team, and Jeff Capel lets them take a lot of ownership. They are very serious about it. They communicate to each other, and they hold each other accountable. Jamarius Burton is very strong. You have to have somebody in the gap on him. You have to take away Blake Hinson’s 3s, make him put it on the floor. A defender with length can disrupt his shots because he’s not that big. They don’t have an inside presence. They’ve had a favorable league schedule to this point. They don’t score the ball in the post, but they’re sharing the ball. Nelly Cummings has been an unbelievable addition.”
Not sure I agree with Nelly. He has been a solid addition at eat and has helped us win a few games. Let’s see how he does come in tourney time.

• Haha
Reactions: joeydavid
Not sure I agree with Nelly. He has been a solid addition at eat and has helped us win a few games. Let’s see how he does come in tourney time.
they don’t beat UNc in chapel hill without Nelly for sure. He rescued them at a time when it looked like UNc could pull away. They need him and he’s been a great addition.

If you take Burton off this team they’re a bad team. If you take nelly/Nike/Elliot off this team they prob have lost 3 more games.

Burton is invaluable but I definitely wouldn’t diminish the other 3 who have all stepped up when Pitt needed it

I think it depends on how you look at the definition of "favorable". We have maybe 1 game left, maybe 2, where we can get a win that will be highly impactful to our ranking, NET, whatever you want to call it. Beating L'ville won't move the needle. Maybe beating VT. But the rest of the schedule is not exactly strong. So the rest of the schedule is not favorable for us in that definition. But it is favorable for us to get wins.

Pittsburgh

They left out the final sentence for the sake of protecting the anonymity of the ACC coach..."Nelly Cummings has been an unbelievable addition. In this current state of affairs you get what you pay for and Pitt must have ponied up big time for this kid"...

Outside of playing the Big 12 and having it count against our conference record, I'm not sure what more we could have done to this point. This hardly feels like a cheap record.

Reactions: Ski11585
I agree that Nelly has been a very good addition. I also agree that our front court presence is the team's weakness. However, I'd argue that Fede has been as unbelievable of an addition as Nelly. Imagine where we would be right now without him?

Outside of playing the Big 12 and having it count against our conference record, I'm not sure what more we could have done to this point. This hardly feels like a cheap record.
If the losses to WVU and Michigan were by say... 8-10 points instead of 20+ points.... our NET rating would be much higher.

The NET takes into account scoring margins. Pitt has a lot of CLOSE wins. And 2 of our losses are by massive blowouts.

The NET needs to be changed to put less emphasis on margin of victory and more on actual victory/loss. Margins can be skewed by playing walkons at the end of game or garbage time scoring on outcomes that are not in doubt.

If Pitt played their starters in the final 2 minutes against WVU and turns that into say... a 12-15 point loss... it might've helped their NET ranking a little bit. And that's stupid.

I think all of the comparisons back to the Dixon era teams are pretty lazy. Yes the guards are physical and experienced but what else is similar?
How old and physical they are and how ownership is given to those 5 players in their 5th or 6th year that run the show and play their best in the final minutes. It's the same reason, given all or most of those old guys are gone after this season (Hinson being the only of the 5 that can return), why some fans question whether this remarkable, awesome, unexpected season so far is simply a one off. Or, hopefully, a sign of things to come.

If the losses to WVU and Michigan were by say... 8-10 points instead of 20+ points.... our NET rating would be much higher.

The NET takes into account scoring margins. Pitt has a lot of CLOSE wins. And 2 of our losses are by massive blowouts.

The NET needs to be changed to put less emphasis on margin of victory and more on actual victory/loss. Margins can be skewed by playing walkons at the end of game or garbage time scoring on outcomes that are not in doubt.

If Pitt played their starters in the final 2 minutes against WVU and turns that into say... a 12-15 point loss... it might've helped their NET ranking a little bit. And that's stupid.

But that's not at all what I'm talking about. A coach said we've benefited from a favorable league schedule. I disagree.

I have no idea how NET and quads are calculated, but I find it all stupid. I'm shocked by how many people talk about it like it isn't some dumb formula some jackass came up with in his basement.

Most of us watch nearly every game. We shouldn't pay much attention to coaches or announcers who have only seen Pitt play a handful of times. They are generally accurate but get occasional details wrong.

Reactions: NCanton Panther

Pittsburgh

They have had a league schedule to this point? The person who said that is nuts!

Bingo - why not just weigh outcomes based on something simple, like outcome of >=10 or <10?

they don’t beat UNc in chapel hill without Nelly for sure. He rescued them at a time when it looked like UNc could pull away. They need him and he’s been a great addition.

If you take Burton off this team they’re a bad team. If you take nelly/Nike/Elliot off this team they prob have lost 3 more games.

Burton is invaluable but I definitely wouldn’t diminish the other 3 who have all stepped up when Pitt needed it
Agree. I am just saying Nelly on his own is not the difference for our turnaround. Up until a few games ago nobody here wanted Nelly to shoot. And he was a high turnover guy.

Agree. I am just saying Nelly on his own is not the difference for our turnaround. Up until a few games ago nobody here wanted Nelly to shoot. And he was a high turnover guy.
They've all contributed and won games for us. I'd argue without Federiko we lose the second UNC game and Miami game. But I can do that with a bunch of our guys. Without Burton, without Nelly or Elliott or Hinson.

Bingo - why not just weigh outcomes based on something simple, like outcome of >=10 or <10?

Because its efficiency based and every possession matters the same to a certain extent. Vegas is looking at which teams are better not necessarily who wins games. Its why a school like TCU is 30 spots higher in NET than RPI.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
I don't even like that. A 74-65 game could've been 70-50 with 2 mins to go and the loser made it look better against the winner's walk-ons. Conversely a 81-70 game could have been 73-70 with a minute to go and FTs made the margin >10.

A win is a win and a loss is a loss. The scoring margin should have almost nothing to do with how valuable a win is or how costly a loss is.

Because its efficiency based and every possession matters the same to a certain extent. Vegas is looking at which teams are better not necessarily who wins games. Its why a school like TCU is 30 spots higher in NET than RPI.
What Vegas looks at and what the tournament committee looks at should NOT be the same metric.

Reactions: FireballZ
What Vegas looks at and what the tournament committee looks at should NOT be the same metric.

I agree but RPI was very flawed also. If they just use NET how they are supposed to (as in only to make the quads) then its fine. But you just cant seed a team like UNC ahead of Pitt because they're 12 spots higher in NET when they lost twice and they are 1-7 in Q1 compared to Pitt's 4-2

Reactions: jpklein
Have you not watched TCU at all over the past few years? Dixon has evolved, just like any successful coach does.
I dont watch non Pitt games often- the comparison wasn't made to TCU though. This team is being compared to Dixons Pitt teams. Jamie Dixon of 2008 or 2009 would call timeout and remove Hinson from the game when he pulls up and shoots an NBA 3 with 17 on the shot clock.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Have you not watched TCU at all over the past few years? Dixon has evolved, just like any successful coach does.
When I’ve watched TCU I’ve noticed that Dixon micromanages in much the same way he did at Pitt. If he’s slowed down it’s because he is older.

Pittsburgh

Good stuff other than the favorable schedule. It’s not hard to see that we have had one of the hardest conference schedules to this point.

Reactions: PittPoker
Good stuff other than the favorable schedule. It’s not hard to see that we have had one of the hardest conference schedules to this point.
And 1 of the easiest going forward - only 2 games against teams with winning conference records, Syracuse and Miami, and we have beat both of them already. Just have to take care of business these last 8 games.

At some level, sure they should. The committee is supposed to be picking the best teams, and you simply cannot do that if you pay no attention to margin of victory. When you start doing that you end up with metrics like the RPI, which made no sense what so ever. It was literally something some guy made up in his basement.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT