ADVERTISEMENT

Should be Pitt vs ASU and Miss St vs Nevada

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Not that it matters a ton, but when you are assembling a bracket, the highest seeded team should always be seeded vs the lowest seeded team. #1 Miss St should play #4 Nevada, not #2 Pitt. I always say, if you have to play in the First Four, the best spot to get is the #3 spot, because you get thr easiest matchup in theory, playing #4. #2 gets the worst draw playing #1.

It matters little. All these teams are close and the committee isn’t good enough at seeding to get teams in the right order.

Arizona State has played in the first four in 3 of the past 5 years. Talk about living on the bubble.

I think it’s a good matchup and Pitt should win. Miss St had a losing record in Conference.

I think it’s a good matchup and Pitt should win. Miss St had a losing record in Conference.
If they play defense Tuesday night the way they have played for weeks Pitt is probably not winning.

So, last night we saw what I'm talking about. Nevada was clearly the worst at-large team. In the eyes of the committee, Mississippi State was the best. It is simple common sense that the best team should be rewarded by playing the worst team. That is how tournament bracketing work. I know the committee thinks all these teams are close so it doesnt really matter, but they assign true rankings to them. Should have been #43 Miss St vs #46 Nevada and #44 Pitt vs #45 Arizona State. Mississippi State really got screwed here, just missing out on bye and then having to play the #44 team instead of #46.

For the 16 seeds, Corpus Christi was clearly the best, having won the Southland regular season and tournament and having a NET of 175. Texas Southern was clearly the worst, finishing 8th in the SWAC and having 20 losses. Texas Southern lost but they should have been given a tougher opponent than 19-15 Fairleigh Dickinson.

So, last night we saw what I'm talking about. Nevada was clearly the worst at-large team. In the eyes of the committee, Mississippi State was the best. It is simple common sense that the best team should be rewarded by playing the worst team. That is how tournament bracketing work. I know the committee thinks all these teams are close so it doesnt really matter, but they assign true rankings to them. Should have been #43 Miss St vs #46 Nevada and #44 Pitt vs #45 Arizona State. Mississippi State really got screwed here, just missing out on bye and then having to play the #44 team instead of #46.

For the 16 seeds, Corpus Christi was clearly the best, having won the Southland regular season and tournament and having a NET of 175. Texas Southern was clearly the worst, finishing 8th in the SWAC and having 20 losses. Texas Southern lost but they should have been given a tougher opponent than 19-15 Fairleigh Dickinson.
I don’t disagree with anything you said.

Worked out for Pitt though. Wouldn’t have wanted to play ASU the way they shot last night. The extra days rest is helpful too.

Haven't they made it so matchups are more geographical in the tourney now!!?

I don’t disagree with anything you said.

Worked out for Pitt though. Wouldn’t have wanted to play ASU the way they shot last night. The extra days rest is helpful too.

I was impressed with ASU when I watched them vs USC. I thought Miss St was a good matchup because they couldnt shoot and we don't guard anyone but when I heard Fede was out, I didnt like our chances. I do think ASU is better than Miss St though

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT