ADVERTISEMENT

Single or double bye in ACCT?

MartyInLawrenceville

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2012
What to root for? Does Pitt help itself out by only getting a single buy, and having to play an extra game in the ACT? I’m guessing it would be easier to win two games in the tournament that way. Or, would it be more beneficial for the Panthers to get the double bye, and take advantage of the extra day off?

If Pitt NEEDS a win to get in the tournamnt, I would think that a single buy game would be easier to win. You will likely have a stronger oponent with a double bye. Best would be to win 2 games.

It should theoretically, be easier to beat a team that is playing back to back days, but not sure how much that really affects college athletes….There is no benefit in beating a Q3/4 team and only harm can come. It also depends who the opponent would be. If they are 4th, they likely play Clemson or Wake and could be one and done. If they are 5th, they could play Cuse, wake, or Clemson. I think if the loss can come to UNC or Duke, that is best as the expectations would be a loss. I wouldn’t want to risk a blowout to Clemson, wake, or uva and even though people may say UvA won’t do that, all these teams can do it on any night. They just can’t do it consistently. As a 6th seed, they could get ND, or possibly NCST or VT, depending how remaining games turn out. It would not be fun playing back to back games against NcST. VT also had a lot of foul trouble with Pitt. I’m not sure how easy that is to replicate as a game plan.

If Pitt NEEDS a win to get in the tournamnt, I would think that a single buy game would be easier to win. You will likely have a stronger oponent with a double bye. Best would be to win 2 games.
It’s the quality quad 1/2 win they need. Risks of a Q3 loss outweigh a win. I mean they would need to win by like 20 on a neutral site to move the net some…

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
A double bye gets you closer to winning it. Then we don’t have to worry about any of this.
Yes if they are going to be the 5 seed than I’d rather be 4 and not play an extra game. But if Virginia will be 3rd then being 6th is likely better than facing wake or Clemson again.

So what is the path to double bye?
Option 1:
Clemson beats Cuse tonight
GT wins at Wake tonight
Wake beats Clemson Saturday
Pitt would be 12-8, Clemson 11-9, Wake 11-9, Cuse 11-9

Option 2:
GT wins at Virginia Saturday
Wake would be 12-8, Pitt 12-8, Virginia 12-8. I think Pitt would win second place tiebreaker in that trio as wake and Pitt would both be 2-1 versus each other and Virginia 1-2. If GT also beat Wake tonight, it would open up 3 seed?

Am I missing any paths?

Beating like ND or Ga Tech isn’t helping their tournament chances- much more risk than reward .

Win out - earn a double bye and play Wake or Cuse or UVA is much more beneficial.

Depends. Would you like to play a game with absolutely nothing to gain and absolutely everything to lose, or would you prefer a game with little to lose and a lot to gain?

Also, I agree that we should set our sights on actually advancing in/trying to win the ACC Tournament, so common sense dictates the double bye is better.

I mean, there are probably theoretical examples where the double bye could be worse, but if you're just playing it out on paper then it's double bye all day.

What determines if it’s a 2 game bye or 1, do they have to win out with help for the 2 game bye or do they have to lose one of 2 remaining regular season games to get single game bye. Which is it?

So what is the path to double bye?
Option 1:
GT wins at Wake tonight
Pitt would be 12-8, Clemson 11-9, Wake 11-9, Cuse 11-9

Option 2:
GT wins at Virginia Saturday
Wake would be 12-8, Pitt 12-8, Virginia 12-8. I think Pitt would win second place tiebreaker in that trio as wake and Pitt would both be 2-1 versus each other and Virginia 1-2. If GT also beat Wake tonight, it would open up 3 seed?

Am I missing any paths?
We have the tiebreaker over Wake in most scenarios, so we don't need to have a better record than them

Reactions: SteelBowl70
I dont want to play Clemson again. Terrible matchup for us. I'd almost rather get not get a double bye and play UVa or Wake in the quarters than get a double bye but have to face Clemson in the quarters.

Double bye no doubt. Blowout our quarterfinal opponent and enjoy our name in lights on Selection Sunday.

I honestly don’t think it matters, if they get the double buy, 1 more win gets them in. If they don’t get the double bye, a Louisville/GT/ND win doesn’t help, so I’d imagine in that case, we need two wins. I think winning out, then winning our round of 8 game is the formula to get in, so we probably want the double bye for the extra day of rest

double bye. All day long....

1.) Step closer to winning tournament (which is the goal)
2.) Opportunity for revenge on Clemson / Wake (most likely matchup)

win last two, and beat Clemson or Wake and I firmly believe they will get in

double bye. All day long....

1.) Step closer to winning tournament (which is the goal)
2.) Opportunity for revenge on Clemson / Wake (most likely matchup)

win last two, and beat Clemson or Wake and I firmly believe they will get in
I don't want any part of Clemson or Wake.

What to root for? Does Pitt help itself out by only getting a single buy, and having to play an extra game in the ACT? I’m guessing it would be easier to win two games in the tournament that way. Or, would it be more beneficial for the Panthers to get the double bye, and take advantage of the extra day off?
all of these suppositions should be prefaced with "assuming Pitt wins their final two"

Well if that's the case then you don't belong in the NCAAT. My point is that is a "prove it" game for Pitt. - winning would help show the committee they deserve a bid

Pitt isn't a top 25 team and Clemson is. That doesn't mean we don't belong in the tournament, resume wise. They're a bad match up for us. I mean I'm not expecting to win a national title in 2024, but Pitt is on track to do enough to get a chance to dance.

Wake is a weirder one: 15-0 at home, 2-9 on the road, 1-2 on neutral site. May not be so tough this time. Also Clemson is two games better overall.

Reactions: FireballZ
Pitt isn't a top 25 team and Clemson is. That doesn't mean we don't belong in the tournament, resume wise. They're a bad match up for us. I mean I'm not expecting to win a national title in 2024, but Pitt is on track to do enough to get a chance to dance.

Wake is a weirder one: 15-0 at home, 2-9 on the road, 1-2 on neutral site. May not be so tough this time. Also Clemson is two games better overall.
Wake can be tough, but the likelihood of Pitt mimicking their last game is super low. Pitt had a game score of 13. They had a score of 9 against Duke at home and 23 against Cuse at home. They had a score of 86 in their win over wake. If they hit that again there is a good chance they win on a neutral site.

If remaining key games go chalk (Clemson over SU, Wake over Clemson, UVA over GT), then Pitt and Wake are tied at 12-8 and I thought Pitt had the tiebreaker to finish 4th.

Pitt and Wake both lost to UNC and split with Duke. Pitt is 1-0 vs UVA and Wake is 1-1.

Win Percentage against the 1st place team(s) from the regular season (including tied teams). If still tied, apply the tiebreaker using the 2nd place team(s), proceeding through all teams in the conference if necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
If remaining key games go chalk (Clemson over SU, Wake over Clemson), then Pitt and Wake are tied at 12-8 and I thought Pitt had the tiebreaker to finish 4th.
They do. That’s my point is that it isn’t far fetched for Pitt to be the #4 and they should absolutely want the double bye

First of all, in that three way tie the records won't be 2-1, 2-1 and 1-2, if for no other reason than that is not theoretically possible. In a three way tie, Pitt is 2-1, Wake is 2-2 and Virginia is 1-2. So in a three way tie for third or fourth between those three teams, Pitt comes in first, Wake second and Virginia last.

Secondly, because of that, yes, Wake losing tonight could open up the three seed. As could Wake winning tonight. If we want to finish third, the most important games (besides our two) is Virginia losing to Georgia Tech and Syracuse losing to Clemson.

I really like our chances against Wake if we end up playing them on Thursday, Revenge for the loss of the season on a neutral floor (they are really night/day away from home) with the winner most likely clinching a bid. Love it.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT