ADVERTISEMENT

SMF Proclamation regarding the Clemson game

They bought better coaches.
And players.

They had one of the best promoters in the game, Bruce Pearl, who has been responsible for resurrecting 3 programs. Tennessee, who has a strong NIL game in hoops. Auburn, where he's exceeded what he did at Tennessee, and also Alabama. Because his success and accolades at Auburn suddenly made Alabama care a whole lot more about basketball.

Clemson I think should be a top 20 team and based on their size and shooting, will remain so all year. If not, then indeed we are in trouble. But I think both NET and an AP poll have them around 16th-17th. It narrows our window a bit but no need for SMF hyperbole.

If we lose, we wont make the NCAAT. Tonight's loss was absolutely devastating for our tournament chances. We already have a Q3 loss meaning and we can only have 2. Because we play in the ACC 12 (+Duke, UVa, UNC), its a glorified mid-major league with many Q3 games and not enough opportunities for Q1/2 wins. If we lose to Clemson, we need to be nearly perfect the rest of the way meaning winning every game that is winnable and losing only to Duke x2, @ Miami, @ UVa, ams say @ NC St. We'd need to go 14-5 the rest of the way if we lose to Clemson and that's not happening.

Total devastation tonight. Cant sugarcoat. This loss very likely keeps us out of the NCAAT and I know people will say look at last November. Those werent Q3 losses. And we won 20 of our next 25. 20-5 from Nov 18-Feb 28. That's just about impossible for a program like ours and its not happening again. We cant lose to Clemson and then expect a miracle run like last year.

This is it folks. The season is on the line, Sunday. Lose it and we are done. Still could be a semi-fun season though and the NIT is a realistic option now for the P6s.

I am 2 for 2 the last 2 years though the NCAAT didn't hinge on this one game this year. Last year, I said the winner of Pitt/Wake in Jan makes it and the loser does not. Turns out, we made it by that one game.

I am 2 for 2 the last 2 years though the NCAAT didn't hinge on this one game this year. Last year, I said the winner of Pitt/Wake in Jan makes it and the loser does not. Turns out, we made it by that one game.
Yet you won't even acknowledge that your prediction about them making the NIT was hot garbage. I told you in a thread 3 weeks ago this awful team won't make any postseason tournament but you kept claiming I was wrong and they would definitely make the NIT.

Don't see you owning that horrible prediction. I wrote on the pay board around the same time Pitt would finish bottom 4 and was told no way and blah blah blah. I knew after watching them play Florida and Missouri and struggle against FGCU this team blows.

Yet you won't even acknowledge that your prediction about them making the NIT was hot garbage. I told you in a thread 3 weeks ago this awful team won't make any postseason tournament but you kept claiming I was wrong and they would definitely make the NIT.

Don't see you owning that horrible prediction. I wrote on the pay board around the same time Pitt would finish bottom 4 and was told no way and blah blah blah. I knew after watching them play Florida and Missouri and struggle against FGCU this team blows.

I already "owned" the bad NIT prediction.

If we lose, we wont make the NCAAT. Tonight's loss was absolutely devastating for our tournament chances. We already have a Q3 loss meaning and we can only have 2. Because we play in the ACC 12 (+Duke, UVa, UNC), its a glorified mid-major league with many Q3 games and not enough opportunities for Q1/2 wins. If we lose to Clemson, we need to be nearly perfect the rest of the way meaning winning every game that is winnable and losing only to Duke x2, @ Miami, @ UVa, ams say @ NC St. We'd need to go 14-5 the rest of the way if we lose to Clemson and that's not happening.

Total devastation tonight. Cant sugarcoat. This loss very likely keeps us out of the NCAAT and I know people will say look at last November. Those werent Q3 losses. And we won 20 of our next 25. 20-5 from Nov 18-Feb 28. That's just about impossible for a program like ours and its not happening again. We cant lose to Clemson and then expect a miracle run like last year.

This is it folks. The season is on the line, Sunday. Lose it and we are done. Still could be a semi-fun season though and the NIT is a realistic option now for the P6s.
As usual a cogent and well thought out analysis. You wannabee SMFs would be well advised to follow his model

Okay, if the Carolina Panthers do not win their first game in 2024 then I am calling it right now: They won't win the Super Bowl.

And if they do, you can just wave it away by saying that you had no idea at the time that they'd have some free agent or draft pick from this spring, so you weren't really wrong.

Just like him saying that losing the game to Clemson would be the difference between making the NCAA tournament or not. It wasn't (or I guess you have to say it won't be) but somehow he still thinks he got it right.

2 years in a row where I was right with my in-person prediction. In 2023, I said the winner of Pitt/Wake would make the NCAAT and the loser would not. Turns out we made the NCAAT by 1 game last year and missed it by 1 game this year.

It would be nice if we'd actually make an effort to sell season tickets or ask the ACC to not schedule us opposite the Steelers so we have more than 3000 fans in the building for absolutely crucial Nov/Dec basketball games. The place was dead for Mizzou and Clemson.

Full disclosure: I did say Pitt would make the NCAAT after they won on Thursday so do with that what you will.

2 years in a row where I was right with my in-person prediction. In 2023, I said the winner of Pitt/Wake would make the NCAAT and the loser would not. Turns out we made the NCAAT by 1 game last year and missed it by 1 game this year.

It would be nice if we'd actually make an effort to sell season tickets or ask the ACC to not schedule us opposite the Steelers so we have more than 3000 fans in the building for absolutely crucial Nov/Dec basketball games. The place was dead for Mizzou and Clemson.

Full disclosure: I did say Pitt would make the NCAAT after they won on Thursday so do with that what you will.
Another victory by SMF

So they lost because of lack of fans in the building? :)

It’s silly to discount the other chances we had since then AND the incompetency of the selection buildup and process.

So no, it’s not over in November ANY year.

But one thing we need to takeaway. We need to have a legit home environment for these early season games. Capture how you are feeling right now and go to the games.

It’s silly to discount the other chances we had since then AND the incompetency of the selection buildup and process.

So no, it’s not over in November ANY year.

But one thing we need to takeaway. We need to have a legit home environment for these early season games. Capture how you are feeling right now and go to the games.
I don't think that is realistic. College basketball is pretty much an afterthought everywhere until conference play starts in January.

I don't think that is realistic. College basketball is pretty much an afterthought everywhere until conference play starts in January.

Then maybe Pitt needs to go on the road OOC a little more and capture some of those dead environments. Then get credit for a nice “road” win.

And just a few days ago you proclaimed WE'RE IN. I guess when you are on both sides of every fence you can declare anything you want and maybe someone other than yourself will believe you . Maybe but not likely. WE'RE IN. How wrong can you be just days before the selection????

So they lost because of lack of fans in the building? :)

Probably not. I think homecourt advantage is overrated. But, the Mizzou game was friends and family only. Perhaps if we made an attempt to sell season tickets coming off an NCAA Tournament, there's 8000 in the house that night and the crowd noise rushes a Mizzou shot or 2. Again, I doubt it. But a good crowd is worth SOMETHING. How much? I dont know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT