So who makes the playoffs?

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
1. Michigan - lock
2. Washington - lock
3. Bama/Texas
4. FSU

Texas did beat Bama, so I think they would need to favor Texas for that 3rd spot.

And we can't have a weird Georgia vs. Bama rematch for 5 vs. 6, so they will stick OSU vs. Bama for that game. Then Georgia gets the 7th spot.

Kind of a mess, but ultimately the lack of parity has led to this result. I'm rooting for FSU being left out because they meddled when the ACC was trying to expand.

1 Michigan vs 4 Alabama
2 Washington vs 3 FSU

Washington vs Alabama
Alabama wins.

How do you leave an undefeated FSU team out? Texas beat Bama AT Tuscaloosa. If it comes down between those two it has to be Texas. But guess what? The committee will figure out how to leane FSU out, and it'll be Michigan (1) Washington (2) Texas (3) Alabama (4).

And I will watch men's figure skating instead

Reactions: pittbb80 and 303vND
In my opinion, the only correct order should be:

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Florida State (or Texas)
4. Texas (or Florida State)
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7. Ohio State
8. Oregon

Losses need to matter. Texas earned their CFP bid due to the H2H win over Alabama. I’d be OK if they finished ahead of FSU, but the Seminoles absolutely deserve the opportunity to play in the playoffs.

1. Michigan
2. Washington
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7. Ohio State
8. Oregon

Losses need to matter. Texas earned their CFP bid due to the H2H win over Alabama. I’d be OK if they finished ahead of FSU, but the Seminoles absolutely deserve the opportunity to play in the playoffs.
You really believe they are going to leave the sec out? No chance

1. Michigan
2. Washington
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7. Ohio State
8. Oregon

That is how I see it; but as I commented above I can see the committee elevating both Texas and Alabama. How could they leave them both out? Washington benefited from beating Oregon twice, I guess.

Can you imagine someone from the committee calling Saban and telling him his team is out? And if they take FSU and Alabama what do they say to the Texas staff, AD, et al?

Somebody has to have the balls to call the SEC and tell them that they had a great year but they'll have to wait until 2024 to get a team into the playoffs

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think it will be….
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Texas
4. Alabama

FSU deserves to get in, but I think they will get shafted.

Does FSU claim a national championship if they get left out and the following happens?

- FSU beats Georgia in the Orange Bowl.
- One of Alabama or Texas win the CFP, meaning FSU is the only remaining P5 undefeated.
Now that’s a good thought. Tell me there’s not a Pitt fan out there that wouldn’t claim the same thing if it was Pitt in that position instead of FSU.

What I would do

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. FSU
4. Texas

What I think the commitee will do

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Alabama
4. FSU

Who I think are the actual 4 best teams playing right now

1. Michigan
2. Georgia
3. Alabama
In any particular order

4. Washington

Reactions: FireballZ
Sugar
(1) Skunkbears 13-0 vs (4) Alabama 12-1
Rose 🌹
(2) Washington 13-0 vs (3) Texas 12-1

Orange 🍊
FSU 13-0 vs Georgia 12-1
Fiesta 🪅
Oregon 11-2 vs Ohio State 11-1
Cotton
Missouri 10-2 vs Oklahoma 10-2
Peach 🍑
Penn State 10-2 vs SMU 11-2

Reactions: USN_Panther
Sugar
Rose 🌹

Orange 🍊
FSU 13-0 vs Georgia 12-1
Fiesta 🪅
Cotton
Peach 🍑
I’d feel awfully bad for the Liberty football team if they get snubbed from a NY6 bowl… but I’m partial to SMU since they’re joining the ACC next year. Also, please give me that Cotton Bowl matchup… the Big 8 is alive and well!

What I would do

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. FSU
4. Texas

What I think the commitee will do

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Alabama
4. FSU

Who I think are the actual 4 best teams playing right now

1. Michigan
2. Georgia
3. Alabama
In any particular order

4. Washington
Michigan and FSU have the best defenses. FSU's second string QB should be available by the time the playoffs start. Alabama beat a beatable Georgia team, and by a miracle win over a terrible Auburn team are even in the conversation. Washington hasn't played anyone outside of the PAC 12 and won all of their big games by a TD or less. Texas is playing well and beat Alabama. If ever there was a year where more than 4 teams should be in the playoffs this is it

I’d feel awfully bad for the Liberty football team if they get snubbed from a NY6 bowl… but I’m partial to SMU since they’re joining the ACC next year. Also, please give me that Cotton Bowl matchup… the Big 8 is alive and well!

Liberty is 13-0 but woof their SoS is 130th of 132 to brutal to justify a NY6 spot AAC is just a better conference and SMU won it. I will be disappointed if they don’t get in. I don’t know all the details of the picks.
Cotton might like Missouri vs SMU
It’s been said that the Peach would select Penn State and I think that they pick last in the order.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
Sugar
Rose 🌹

Orange 🍊
FSU 13-0 vs Georgia 12-1
Fiesta 🪅
Cotton
Peach 🍑
I wouldn't bet against this; I'd prefer to see MI vs FSU and WA vs Texas in the first two games. OSU vs Bama in the Orange with Oregon vs Georgia in the Fiesta. The MO vs OK in the Cotton Bowl would command the highest scalper tickets 😀. Penn State sucks

Michigan and FSU have the best defenses. FSU's second string QB should be available by the time the playoffs start. Alabama beat a beatable Georgia team, and by a miracle win over a terrible Auburn team are even in the conversation. Washington hasn't played anyone outside of the PAC 12 and won all of their big games by a TD or less. Texas is playing well and beat Alabama. If ever there was a year where more than 4 teams should be in the playoffs this is it
Yeah, no one is mentioning that miracle win last week of Alabama over Auburn. If Auburn doesn't completely shit the bed we are talking about Georgia/Texas/FSU and no way would Georgia be left out in that scenario. Alabama is the luckiest damn sons of bitches all of the time.

Reactions: 303vND and latz66
Sugar
Rose 🌹

Orange 🍊
FSU 13-0 vs Georgia 12-1
Fiesta 🪅
Cotton
Peach 🍑
Those are all really good games. I would binge watch all of that.

People want to put Alabama in over FSU but let's not forget Alabama should have 2 losses if it weren't for the dumbest defensive alignment in college history in the Auburn game. FSU is undefeated and has to get in with that defense alone.

1. Michigan - lock
2. Washington - lock
3. Bama/Texas
4. FSU

Texas did beat Bama, so I think they would need to favor Texas for that 3rd spot.

And we can't have a weird Georgia vs. Bama rematch for 5 vs. 6, so they will stick OSU vs. Bama for that game. Then Georgia gets the 7th spot.

Kind of a mess, but ultimately the lack of parity has led to this result. I'm rooting for FSU being left out because they meddled when the ACC was trying to expand.
Alabama wouldn’t even be in the discussion without a miracle 4th down completion against Auburn. People have short memories.

Reactions: 303vND
Mich, Wash, Texas, Bama. Both B12 and SeC harder than ACc. Texas should get rewarded for playing at Bama. Bama should not get punished for losing to a playoff team in September. FSU needed to throttle Pitt. They didn’t. Hence they are out. And for the Bama got lucky, FSU beat BC by 2, Miami by 7, and got to play UF who had an injured QB. Louisville lost to Kentucky, which was throttled by Georgia. FSU has the nice LSU win, but it’s not the same team without Travis. The committee can and should make that argument. No one wants to see FSU get blown out. Bad for ratings. If they leave out both Texas and Bama, then big teams won’t want to play each other any more due to implications for playoffs. Reward the harder schedules and increase ratings.

Last edited:
I’ve got Mich vs FSU and Wash vs Bama. Bama beats Mich.
My thoughts on the seeding was the undefeated teams had to be 1-3 with Michigan at 1. That automatically means that Washington and FSU were 2-3. I also think that Michigan is overrated because of their strength of schedule and should have to play Alabama in the semis.

Michigan
Washington
Florida State
Texas

That's my final guess
That is what it should be, but this could happen:

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Alabama
4. Georgia

I hope I am wrong. There will be too much SEC bias. Georgia was the previous 2 time Champs. They were number 1. Alabama beat the number 1 team. They are not going to leave either team out.

FSU beat LSU on a neutral site and Florida on the road in their OOC schedule. If they don’t get in as an undefeated P5 team, no one should ever schedule another P5 OOC team.

FSU beat LSU on a neutral site and Florida on the road in their OOC schedule. If they don’t get in as an undefeated P5 team, no one should ever schedule another P5 OOC team.
The win against LSU was with a different QB. They beat Florida who was without their starting QB. No comparison to what Texas and Bama did.

What if Texas doesn't get in for scheduling and beating the SEC Champ at their place?

If Georgia makes it, this sport is pointless.

Their OOC schedule was embarrassing, the two decent wins they have (Missouri, and ole miss) didn’t beat anybody outside of conference besides Kansas St. LSU is about on par with those teams and got smoked by FSU.

It doesn’t matter what they did the last 2 seasons. They already were rewarded for that with bids to the last 2 playoffs.

Texas clearly has to be above Bama.

The only question is between FSU and Bama for the 4th spot. FSU should get it but CFB is corrupt so I’d bet on Bama.

The SEC publicly whining that it won’t be a playoff without the SEC is a disgrace. How many times have other conferences been left out in favor of them and you know they’ll throw a tantrum if the role is reversed.

I’d feel bad for the team that has to play Liberty. Unless it’s, PSU in which case I would be OK with.

Michigan
Washington
Florida State
Texas

That's my final guess
Same
Does FSU claim a national championship if they get left out and the following happens?

- FSU beats Georgia in the Orange Bowl.
- One of Alabama or Texas win the CFP, meaning FSU is the only remaining P5 undefeated.
FSU will be in but they'd definitely get final AP poll votes if that scenario happened. Their state legislature would probably pass a bill claiming it too.

1) I strongly disagree with factoring injuries and point differentials in. Only the bodies of work - your wins and your losses - should mean anything.

2) That would mean the order would be:

Washington
Michigan
FSU
Texas

But I know that they have goofy things in their "mission statement" that go beyond #1, so if they want to go Michigan, Washington, Texas, FSU then fine.

3) If those aren't the four teams, they've invalidated this whole process. If we're going by subjective measures, then let's pretend like Oregon and Georgia won. They were favored by good margins over Washington and Bama just this past weekend, so they must be better teams. Ohio State would be favored over Washington on a neutral field, so what the hell - throw them in while we're at it.

4) If FSU is left out, I wonder if that makes recruiting at an ACC school that much more difficult. Omitting an undefeated conference champion is the ultimate show of disrespect. I know they're going to 12 with auto bids, but that's still a slap in the face. I also wonder what the hissy fit would be like this offseason by FSU over the grant of rights.

5) If the SEC gets left out, you have to wonder if Sankey goes scorched Earth mode in these next few months. And you have to wonder if the fear of that is something the committee might consider.

1) I strongly disagree with factoring injuries and point differentials in. Only the bodies of work - your wins and your losses - should mean anything.

Hypothetically, if FSU announced before the game yesterday that all 22 starters were suspended for the season and they beat Lou 3-0, should they be in?

If Michigan announced all 22 starters were suspended for the season and they lost to Iowa 10-0 (still cant see Iowa scoring more than 10), should they be in at 12-1?

The win against LSU was with a different QB. They beat Florida who was without their starting QB. No comparison to what Texas and Bama did.
The thing mist nonsensical about your rationale is discounting FSUs win over FLA because FLA didn’t have their starting QB. HELLO, FSU has won the last how many games with their 2nd or 3rd QB, including against FLA.

Hypothetically, if FSU announced before the game yesterday that all 22 starters were suspended for the season and they beat Lou 3-0, should they be in?

If Michigan announced all 22 starters were suspended for the season and they lost to Iowa 10-0 (still cant see Iowa scoring more than 10), should they be in at 12-1?
Even for you, that’s a pretty stupid example

Reactions: MTkeeper23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT