ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated Picks...

Pitt79

Board of Trustee
Oct 3, 2005
- Oklahoma State for the 4 team Playoff. I didn't realize they where that good.

- Penn State at #8.

Complain about Rice and YSU all you want, but this OOC schedule is definitely hard, we'll be lucky to come out of it without losing those 2 games. We beat PSU last year, but now it's at their place. OK ST we almost beat, but they must be improved to be ranked that high.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
YSU won 12 games last year and played in the FCS championship, so they aren't bad either. Going to be a brutal out of conference schedule.
Forgot about that! I watched the YSU semi final of those playoffs, was a great game. They won't be a pushover.

If Browne doesn't play well, Pitt could very easily start out the season 0-4.

The OOC scheduling has been really stupid. Part of that is they need name schools to help sell tickets but OSU isn't really going to sell more tickets than illinois,purde, kansas, iowa state etc etc and they are going to be a much tougher game. We probably got a bit unlucky in that they are probably going to have a two year stretch were they are better than there average but still its not a smart addition to the schedule. Right now Pitt should be looking for one OOC matchup that moves the needle as far as selling tickets(psu,nd,wvu even a TN) if they need to do a home and home with someone thats a power 5 school schedule a rutgers

Reactions: Jpripper88
YSU was so good last year because they had two NFL DE's, and they lost both guys. Dont see PITT losing that game
...and, Pitt's offense "went vanilla" last year. (Ask last year's unprepared Nit players...)

I don't see Pitt losing to YSU, but I don't expect a pushover either. With nothing to lose and everything to gain, YSU will be one of those teams that will be tougher than it should be.

- Penn State at #8.

Complain about Rice and YSU all you want, but this OOC schedule is definitely hard, we'll be lucky to come out of it without losing those 2 games. We beat PSU last year, but now it's at their place. OK ST we almost beat, but they must be improved to be ranked that high.

Remember 1999? Coming off a 2-9 season. PSU was top 5, Lavar the star, etc. Game at happy valley and everyone thought it would be a total blow out. Came within a blocked FG in that one on the final play.

So Mauti, TD_Franklin, Recruits and all the others here with extreme PSU envy might not want to bet the mortgage on their beloved blue & white.

But I do agree it was dumb scheduling to have OSU in the same year and immediately following the PSU game. Would much rather be facing Purdue or Rutgers that week.

Remember 1999? Coming off a 2-9 season. PSU was top 5, Lavar the star, etc. Game at happy valley and everyone thought it would be a total blow out. Came within a blocked FG in that one on the final play.

So Mauti, TD_Franklin, Recruits and all the others here with extreme PSU envy might not want to bet the mortgage on their beloved blue & white.

But I do agree it was dumb scheduling to have OSU in the same year and immediately following the PSU game. Would much rather be facing Purdue or Rutgers that week.

Wasn't that the punter hunter game?

Reactions: Pittnerski

- Penn State at #8.

We kept the Nits out last year. OKSt's turn this year.

Reactions: caleco's
I thought that was the year prior
It was the punter hunter game .... Paterno (no lie look it up) was quoted as saying he didn't see the play... the asshole didn't see much ever I guess...LaVar should've been tossed out of the game .... if Poteat gets that final return the whole way Pitt probably wins that day.

LaVar was the only ne who blocked the FG which would have tied it interestingly enough

2 and 2 out of the shoot would be an accomplishment. Pulling off an upset of either PSU or OKst is not likely but is possible. My guess is we stand a better shoot at home against OKst and I do not expect a win at Crappy Valley. Must win is YSU and then big game against GT is most important of all. If we get into ACC play at 2 and 2 with a win at GT, then I believe this team will solidify and grow into a strong finish. All of this lays at the feet of Max Browne and the QB play. If he is the "real deal", then I think we have a chance to be really good.

Reactions: p45

- Penn State at #8.

Sports Illustrated is notorious for making off the wall predictions. OK ST is a loooong shot to make the playoff. That entire conference is a long shot for a playoff berth.
I believe the odds of Pitt beating OK ST are much better than the Pokes making the playoff.

Our former head coach from Gundy's day visited Fall camp an said we had six receivers who will make an NFL roster some day . Wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the fact that he left OSU to coach TEs in the NFL for nearly a decade. He knows his stuff.

Last edited:

- Penn State at #8.

Only 2 comments:

1. Who is complaining about YSU and Rice? Ive literally not seen a single person complain.

2. How could one not realize OKSU is the best game we have this year? They were a horrible and inaccurate call at an end of a game from being in the championship last year

2. How could one not realize OKSU is the best game we have this year? They were a horrible and inaccurate call at an end of a game from being in the championship last year

I just watch Pitt, I don't follow all of college football, I don't know what their record was last year, I knew they where good, but didn't think good enough to be in the playoff.

We would have beat Penn State last if it was at their place. Pitt was the better football team. Happy Valley is not a tough place to play. With our key guys out this year it will be an upset but they have to play the game

We would have beat Penn State last if it was at their place. Pitt was the better football team. Happy Valley is not a tough place to play. With our key guys out this year it will be an upset but they have to play the game

The eternal Pitt optimist strikes again!

With the dismissals and suspensions no game will be a "push over."
The guys coming back after suspension wont be at top "game speed" right out of the penalty box.
We wont be playing well until game six which is spotting everyone alot.
Prior to the disappointing dismisals, suspensions, and injuries which arent done yet I had us at 10-2 optimistic, probably 9-3, maybe 8-4.
Now 8-4 optimistic, probably 7-5, and maybe 6-6 if things dont go well!
Plus we reduce our chance to upset the Nitters and OSU two highly ranked teams!

Its great to be optimistic but fans must deal with the facts and live in "realville" which hasnt changed much for PITT since the Wanny days.

Same stuff all over again just different AD's, Chancelors, and coaching staffs!

State College is NUTS. Our kid will be overwhelmed by the crazy fans. All of you were at Death Valley. I assume most to the Cesspool. Hello.

OSU was scheduled years ago when they were middle of the pack. We did not just schedule them.

With so many new players starting this year the YSU keeps taking on more meaning. Meaning in terms of who will start and not will we win. We will roll in this game!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT