ADVERTISEMENT

Staff

When they were KS's guys, they sucked and he couldn't recruit. Now they're "our" guys, and they can all play suddenly. The mental gymnastics people do on these boards to justify their positions and flip-flopping is amazing.

PSA: I'm happy we have Capel. It's not about pining for KS, but wow how the perspective on these kids has changed since February.

They're still bad and we will lose a lot of games this year.

As mentioned earlier, Bazley's going to the G-League pulled the carpet out from under this Syracuse class, and they had to fill a spot with a big body. Even Duke is lamenting the fact that they don't have desirable upperclassmen experience and leadership because of one-and-done players. Golden certainly looks to be a 4 year player that will grow with a team.

Seems like a lot of speculation on your part. Don’t understand the insane need to minimize or downplay whatever offers or interest these guys get from other schools.

Wasn't "downplaying" or "minimizing" them...just pointing out that they were not recruits Nova and Cuse would normally be looking to bring in. Those schools had late post season openings and these guys are now available. As far as "speculation " goes..... of course, isn't that what most posts here are?

"

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier, Bazley's going to the G-League pulled the carpet out from under this Syracuse class, and they had to fill a spot with a big body. Even Duke is lamenting the fact that they don't have desirable upperclassmen experience and leadership because of one-and-done players. Golden certainly looks to be a 4 year player that will grow with a team.

They also had the Matt Moyer transfer, which opened up another 'ship.

Reactions: TreesHero
Capel is out there at Pirate games..Penguin games...huge Steeler fan. Point being he is getting out and spreading Pitt !!
stallings never even wanted to be here.

Reactions: TheDeanofPgh
Man, ain't that the truth. Everyone wants to keep Carr, Stewart, and Brown and is disappointed we're losing Golden (and Stevenson and even Davis). It's amazing. When they were KS's guys, they sucked and he couldn't recruit. Now they're "our" guys, and they can all play suddenly. The mental gymnastics people do on these boards to justify their positions and flip-flopping is amazing.

PSA: I'm happy we have Capel. It's not about pining for KS, but wow how the perspective on these kids has changed since February.
This is a lie and complete mischaracterization. TD loves Stallings but hasn't posted about it for 2 years while he absolutely destroyed our program.

Reactions: below0w
This is a lie and complete mischaracterization. TD loves Stallings but hasn't posted about it for 2 years while he absolutely destroyed our program.

Hey, if a couple of people have an opinion then clearly that is the opinion of the whole board. And then at a later date if a couple of different people say something different then it clearly means that the whole board has changed it's standards.

Cause that's the way that the internet works.

Way too soon to tell what his ceiing is.

Pitt doesn't tend to land a lot of high impact talent that can hit the floor and play from day one.
Way too soon? He enrolls somewhere in a month or two.

I'm surprised we aren't still interested, but he isn't near a difference maker. At best he is Ryan Luther and a nice player to have.

I like Stallings. He's a good coach. I think he could have ultimately made Pitt a program that could get to the NCAA tourney most years and be a little more fun to watch.

I didn't post about Stallings for 2 years because it was obvious Pitt wasn't going to be worth watching for a few years. He was pretty clear about gutting it and rebuilding with his guys. I am interested to see how some of the guys he signed develop. That includes the players here and the ones that left.

Pitt decided they wanted to scrap that and go with the guy who can supposedly recruit blue choppers. We will see how that goes. I see some reasons for optimism and also a lot of reasons for doubt.

I like Stallings. He's a good coach. I think he could have ultimately made Pitt a program that could get to the NCAA tourney most years and be a little more fun to watch

He couldn't even get Vandy to the tournament most years in a much, much weaker conference.

I didn't post about Stallings for 2 years because it was obvious Pitt wasn't going to be worth watching for a few years. He was pretty clear about gutting it and rebuilding with his guys. I am interested to see how some of the guys he signed develop. That includes the players here and the ones that left.

So he's a good coach and he inherited a team that should have at least been on the tournament bubble, but you knew that Pitt wasn't going to be worth watching in advance? That seems incongruous. Are you sure that the real reason you didn't post about him is because it was immediately apparent that he was a fraud?

Pitt decided they wanted to scrap that and go with the guy who can supposedly recruit blue choppers. We will see how that goes. I see some reasons for optimism and also a lot of reasons for doubt.

There's no supposedly about it, Capel has consistently proven that he can recruit blue chippers. He also proved that he can coach at VCU. What he hasn't proven is that he can coach at a level needed to succeed in the ACC, but the uncertainty in that regard is at least better than the conclusive proof that Stallings couldn't.

Reactions: PANTHERAN
He couldn't even get Vandy to the tournament most years in a much, much weaker conference.

So he's a good coach and he inherited a team that should have at least been on the tournament bubble, but you knew that Pitt wasn't going to be worth watching in advance? That seems incongruous. Are you sure that the real reason you didn't post about him is because it was immediately apparent that he was a fraud?

There's no supposedly about it, Capel has consistently proven that he can recruit blue chippers. He also proved that he can coach at VCU. What he hasn't proven is that he can coach at a level needed to succeed in the ACC, but the uncertainty in that regard is at least better than the conclusive proof that Stallings couldn't.

All he proved at VCU is that he is very mediocre. Anthony Grant did a much better job and it isn't even close.

He inherited a team that was weak inside and had no PG. And they were hard to watch the year before.

below0w, The Big 12 was a weak conference when Capel was there.

Honestly, just how good can a conference be when the same team wins it EVERY year?

All he proved at VCU is that he is very mediocre. Anthony Grant did a much better job and it isn't even close.

He inherited a team that was weak inside and had no PG. And they were hard to watch the year before.

Anthony Grant inherited a program that Jeff Capel had elevated. When Capel took over in 2003, VCU hadn't made the tournament since 1996. When Grant took over in 2006, he was lucky enough to have the best player in VCU history for all 3 years. Capel recruited Eric Maynor, but only got to coach him for his freshman season. You have no credibility whatsoever if you think Capel was mediocre at VCU. Say whatever you want about his stint at OU, but he did a good job at VCU. That is a fact.

Stallings inherited a team with no PG, but more than enough talent elsewhere to at least be on the bubble. He won 4 ACC games. No coach worth a damn is going to inherit a roster with multiple future pros, including a current NBA player, and go 16-17 with 4 conference wins. Then he chose to blow it all up and go for a long-term rebuild. Ignoring that he had done nothing to earn the goodwill necessary for such an endeavor, the simple fact of the matter is that he lacked the recruiting chops to ever make that a reality. I'm not just talking about his lack of charisma either, his talent evaluation was subpar as well. This is the guy, after all, who chose Payton Willis over Carsen Edwards. Out of his depth, out of his mind and out of time. It's really hard to believe that you can rationalize calling Capel mediocre at VCU while maintaining that Stallings was a good coach.

I like Stallings. He's a good coach. I think he could have ultimately made Pitt a program that could get to the NCAA tourney most years and be a little more fun to watch.

Maybe he can get this one...
2004-BMS-Choppers-Blue-Crush-Warrior-4.jpg

What do you think he is going to be as a junior or senior?
I'd say his floor (assuming no issues off the court) is about what Ryan Luther was as a JR. A Luther/Mooney type player. Very useful as a 4th big on a good team or 3rd big on an average team. His ceiling maybe slightly higher than that as a 12 and 8 type player on a good team and your 5th best starter or a really good 3rd big.

I'd say his floor (assuming no issues off the court) is about what Ryan Luther was as a JR. A Luther/Mooney type player. Very useful as a 4th big on a good team or 3rd big on an average team. His ceiling maybe slightly higher than that as a 12 and 8 type player on a good team and your 5th best starter or a really good 3rd big.
A knowledgeable guy I know was NEVER high on Golden. Speed and athleticism may be lacking to be an ACC rotation player on a top-half team.

All I have seen of him has been highlight films. At this point, I think he IS Ryan Luther as an incoming freshman.

We know what Luther developed into, a solid, ACC rotation player on a lower half ACC team. But, a LOT of people were very skeptical when Dixon signed him. Many thought his ceiling might be more A-10 than ACC. To his credit, he definitely improved.

What we don't know is where Golden will be in years 3 and 4.

I saw Luther get outplayed at a Beaver Valley all-star game by Elijah Minnie. At that point, I was pretty skeptical myself. He proved me wrong.

Golden would have fit on Stallings' roster. I don't think he is worse than Peace, Kene or Samson. But, I don't think he is better than Brown, either.

Pitt hired Capel because they thought he would IMPROVE upon where Stallings has us. He needs BETTER players to do that.

By all accounts, Capel never reached out to Golden. It looks like if he didn't think he could do better, he would have tried to keep Golden.

He reached out to Tre Mitchell.
He reached out to Oscar Tsheibwe
He reached out to Ethan Morton
He reached out to Brandon Stone
He reached out to Maceo Austin.

Maybe he's wrong. Maybe he's right. Maybe we won't know for a few years.
I might have done it differently. But, Pitt is paying Jeff Capel to make these decisions, not anonymous message board schlubs like us.,

Last edited:
They ignore button is wonderful for a special few select posters.

Those who use Ignore features on internet message boards are over sensitive, thin skinned whiners just like the spoiled college brats looking for a safe space.

Why waste your time on a internet message board.

The purpose of a message board is to listen to many viewpoints, not only those that you agree with or support.
That's called something else which resembles a circle, and I don't want to explain that on this board!

It's nice to read posts from posters who you agree with but alot of the benefits/fun of message boards comes from reading the posts from posters who have different or the opposite opinion.

That's called new information! Take it in and do what you want with it who knows you might learn something new!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Will you please stop and quit doubling and tripling down on stupid.

You are the only person, other than Stallings immediate family, that isn't saying Pitt upgraded here.

Okay. Maybe. Maybe not.

Stallings took 9 of his 25 teams to the NCAA Tourney. 36% of the time. That includes Illinois St & Pitt. Capel is at 33%.

Capel signed a kid out of Oklahoma named Blake Griffin while he was at OU. His ONLY other attraction is his association with Duke.

Can you give me something with a little more substance as to why I should be excited about this hire?

Reactions: DC_Area_Panther
Those who use Ignore buttons on internet message boards are over sensitive, thin skinned whiners just like the spoiled college brats looking for a safe space.

Why waste your time on a internet message board.

The purpose of a message board is to listen to many viewpoints, not only those that you agree with or support.
That's called something else which resembles a circle, and I don't want to explain that on this board!

It's nice to read posts from posters who you agree with but alot of the benefits/fun of message boards comes from reading the posts from posters who have different or the opposite opinion.

That's called new information! Take it in and do what you want with it who knows you might learn something new!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!
It's good for using on trolls. Not everyone brings information to the table. And not every opinion is equal.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Okay. Maybe. Maybe not.

Stallings took 9 of his 25 teams to the NCAA Tourney. 36% of the time. That includes Illinois St & Pitt. Capel is at 33%.

Capel signed a kid out of Oklahoma named Blake Griffin while he was at OU. His ONLY other attraction is his association with Duke.

Can you give me something with a little more substance as to why I should be excited about this hire?

Yeah, he signed Blake Griffin. You know the background and details already, and don't need me to rehash them.

You aren't going to be excited because you think keeping Kevin Stallings was a good option. He's officially retired, but unofficially retired a few years ago.

Yeah, he signed Blake Griffin. You know the background and details already, and don't need me to rehash them.

You aren't going to be excited because you think keeping Kevin Stallings was a good option. He's officially retired, but unofficially retired a few years ago.

Not at all. But coaches with better resumes than Stallings and Capel don't seem to be interested in coaching at Pitt.

I'm not talking about Stallings. What has you sold on Capel, other than he is somebody other than Stallings.

For full disclosure, I don't have high expectations for Pitt basketball. I grew up a Pitt football fan. Pitt became my cute little 2nd team during the Howland era. If Stallings had built Pitt to the level he had Vandy, I would have been cool with it.

As you can probably tell, I don't think Capel can coach a lick. And I have huge doubts if he can recruit to Pitt half as well as he did at OU. And that didn't go very well.

Not at all. But coaches with better resumes than Stallings and Capel don't seem to be interested in coaching at Pitt.

I'm not talking about Stallings. What has you sold on Capel, other than he is somebody other than Stallings.

For full disclosure, I don't have high expectations for Pitt basketball. I grew up a Pitt football fan. Pitt became my cute little 2nd team during the Howland era. If Stallings had built Pitt to the level he had Vandy, I would have been cool with it.

As you can probably tell, I don't think Capel can coach a lick. And I have huge doubts if he can recruit to Pitt half as well as he did at OU. And that didn't go very well.
Then why do you even care ?

BTW, was it discussed on here that Pitt and Stallings settled? I was out of town when it happened.

Better recruiter with east coast ties and familiar with the ACC.

Had success as a very young coach and also tasted failure. I actually think going back to Duke and learning from K was a good thing. Still relatively young so he can draw from experience and adapt.

He seems to be very outgoing and has a personality that will fit in well around here.

Played for and coached on national championship teams. He's a winner.

Will you please stop and quit doubling and tripling down on stupid.

You are the only person, other than Stallings immediate family, that isn't saying Pitt upgraded here.
Maybe he wants to impress Canadian recruits with his knowledge of hockey.

You have a wierd way of showing you like Pitt.
Yeah. This guy slivered out of the sanitation plant right around the time Pitt fired Stallings. He's example 500 of why I will never give the publisher of this site a dime. If he kept the clear trolls off of here, I'd support it. He's not a Pitt proponent.

I’d bet my posting future Capel recruits really well here.

I think eventually he will land prospects as good as we were landing early in Dixon’s tenure.

By "eventually," hopefully you mean begining this November (2018) and kicking into high gear by the following November (2019). If not, it might never happen. Any new coach's window for selling the program to quality recruits is time limited if there is little or no on the court success to for a selling point.

I’d bet my posting future Capel recruits really well here.

I think eventually he will land prospects as good as we were landing early in Dixon’s tenure.
He is going to have to do much, much better than that or this will have been a whiff of a hire.

He is going to have to do much, much better than that or this will have been a whiff of a hire.

I don’t know, I think Dixon had some highly ranked classes in the beginning. The Blair team had 10 top 150 players on the roster. Capel can win with that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT