ADVERTISEMENT

Stallings officially set this program back 7 seasons…

That kid from Imani by way of 🇸🇸 is at Pitt every game it seems. Saw him again last night. Here's an article saying we are in Top 5. Still would like to know his story. Says he lives in Baldwin. Who is his guardian/handler?

Yes, Alier & Thomas are crucial. Parham would be nice, still growing into his body. Not sure he is a huge difference maker, but is someone that would probably do well

Richmond isn’t even open or opening lol.

The only logical job he could leave for would be Georgia Tech. And in a lot of ways, he’s a better fit there than here. But I believe that’s Ryan Odom’s job to turn down. Although it should be Ron Hunter
Does Georgia Tech have similar recruiting restrictions in basketball that they do in football? I know that’s not an easy place to win in football. There’s a reason why they were a triple team for so long.

Does Georgia Tech have similar recruiting restrictions in basketball that they do in football? I know that’s not an easy place to win in football. There’s a reason why they were a triple team for so long.

They dont have easy majors where you can hide kids. I'm sure they'll take anyone but the easiest major they have is the business school and that's not easy for a kid who might have scored 900 on SAT's. Even Pastner last night said that their injured players dont make road trips due to the "rigorous" coursework.

I think they can get pretty much anyone in. They had Stephon Marbury for a year for God’s sake. But it has lost its luster since Cremins left. Maybe Odom could bring back the magic.

Reactions: pittchagg
I think they can get pretty much anyone in. They had Stephon Marbury for a year for God’s sake. But it has lost its luster since Cremins left. Maybe Odom could bring back the magic.
Paul Hewitt had one really special post-season run where the Jackets made it all the way to the NCAA title game. He also landed Thaddeus Young a couple of years after that. Overall though, his tenure was mediocre and bland. Only 5 NCAA tourney appearances in 11 years, all early exits except the one magic carpet ride.

I dunno I’ll go ask his parents and guardians who have had them in Baldwin since he was 2 years old?

So the family has lived in Baldwin since he was 2? I thought he was brought over by a handler like last year. Good to know. That makes me think we have a decent chance at him. The dude is at every game. I was walking behind him yesterday. Trying to figure out how tall he is. 6'7-6'8. Needs to grow (and I'd imagine the thought is he will) if he's going to be become that 6'11/7'0 freak

And it was a loooooooong seven seasons. First 20-win campaign since 2016. Officially cleansed of the muck brought on by Scott Barnes.

Congrats to the team and Coach Capel, as well as us fans. Now we need to pick up a big win against Syracuse on Saturday and carry this momentum into March! H2P.
Actually 7 years ain’t bad compared to football… Bozik sent the football program adrift for 27 years (1983-2008) and Pederson added another 10 years (2011-2020)….

Leadership at the AD position Is the key to success….

And it was a loooooooong seven seasons. First 20-win campaign since 2016. Officially cleansed of the muck brought on by Scott Barnes.

Congrats to the team and Coach Capel, as well as us fans. Now we need to pick up a big win against Syracuse on Saturday and carry this momentum into March! H2P.
Would still be counting if not for COVID, the transfer portal, free transfer rules and coaching changes at the two top programs in the ACC. Needed all of the above to make this season happen.

And none of that is intended to diminish what Capel did this year with a near-dead program. He had to overcome a ton of obstacles even with all
that to make this happen. Shows what having a couple guys that can really play and shoot the ball does for you.

It’s gonna feel damned good to be relevant in March again. A middling seed and a tournament win or two would go a long way right about now.

The short answer is no - I wasn’t excited. I’ll type a longer answer tomorrow.
I remember your reaction when you heard from your sources who it was going to be, before you named him on the board. To say you were not excited doesn’t really capture it. I believe your comment was to the effect that you were hoping against hope that it wasn’t who you heard it was going to be.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
So the family has lived in Baldwin since he was 2? I thought he was brought over by a handler like last year. Good to know. That makes me think we have a decent chance at him. The dude is at every game. I was walking behind him yesterday. Trying to figure out how tall he is. 6'7-6'8. Needs to grow (and I'd imagine the thought is he will) if he's going to be become that 6'11/7'0 freak
I dunno how long. It’s been a while. He’s not gonna go to Pitt.

Would still be counting if not for COVID, the transfer portal, free transfer rules and coaching changes at the two top programs in the ACC. Needed all of the above to make this season happen.

And none of that is intended to diminish what Capel did this year with a near-dead program. He had to overcome a ton of obstacles even with all
that to make this happen. Shows what having a couple guys that can really play and shoot the ball does for you.

It’s gonna feel damned good to be relevant in March again. A middling seed and a tournament win or two would go a long way right about now.
Good perspective. Not only did he have to overcome them, but he found a way to leverage those obstacles to his advantage.

Capel deserves to be ACC Coach of the year. He actually made the tough decisions that saved the season (move on from Hugley and suspend Dior). While it's not always pretty, this team has played hard and with a lot of energy on most nights. Kudos to him and his staff.

I'm still highly doubtful he's going to work out long term. I think his contract runs through 2027. It will be interesting to see how Pitt plays it this off-season and how Chapel plays it.
Agree with pretty much all of this.

I think the real question we should all be asking is why Sheldon Jeter wasn't allowed to transfer to Pitt!!

Jeff Capel isn’t leaving Pitt to go to Ga Tech period .

He’s not leaving Pitt for a very long time if he continues to to have success in identifying portal pieces that fit as he’s done this year .

He’s bringing in two very talented freshman , he has Fede and the twins to go along with Hinson and Dior . The future looks bright .

Will they become a power in the ACC yr in and yr out no they won’t, but no one expects the Pitt program to rival Duke , Virginia and UNC every yr .

He’s won more ACC games this yr than JD ever did . Look forward not backwards Panther fans .

Does anyone really expect a big bidding war for JC when his contract comes up for renewal ? Where Pitt bows out …it will never come to it as Pitt will extend him just like they did with PN .

Like it or not he’s found a home and he’s doing a damn good job right now and I for one want him to stay now that’s he’s found a formula that’s working .

All of you out there that think they know bb better than the coaches he’s proving you that you don’t know sh.t , with the right players he’s an excellent coach as he’s showing us this year . Get use to JC as HC because he’s going to be here awhile .

ps …Pitt demise wasn’t do to Stallings it was 100% on Barnes and the boosters who pushed JD out and hired him.
Played golf with a Vandy grad recently and he said the fan base celebrated when Pitt bought him out .

He’s not leaving Pitt for a very long time if he continues to to have success in identifying portal pieces that fit as he’s done this year .

He’s bringing in two very talented freshman , he has Fede and the twins to go along with Hinson and Dior . The future looks bright .

Will they become a power in the ACC yr in and yr out no they won’t, but no one expects the Pitt program to rival Duke , Virginia and UNC every yr .

He’s won more ACC games this yr than JD ever did . Look forward not backwards Panther fans .

Does anyone really expect a big bidding war for JC when his contract comes up for renewal ? Where Pitt bows out …it will never come to it as Pitt will extend him just like they did with PN .

Like it or not he’s found a home and he’s doing a damn good job right now and I for one want him to stay now that’s he’s found a formula that’s working .

All of you out there that think they know bb better than the coaches he’s proving you that you don’t know sh.t , with the right players he’s an excellent coach as he’s showing us this year . Get use to JC as HC because he’s going to be here awhile .

ps …Pitt demise wasn’t do to Stallings it was 100% on Barnes and the boosters who pushed JD out and hired him.
Played golf with a Vandy grad recently and he said the fan base celebrated when Pitt bought him out .
Why is it PERIOD he isn’t leaving for GT?

1) I don’t think GT would want him this time but for argument sake let’s say they did

2. His good friend Andrew Slater put on Twitter Capel wanted to win and get out

Do you really think Capel isn’t gonna shop himself this year? His stock will never be better than this year. If he wanted to reset his clock and finish his career at a HM he either forces an extension (not happening, no chance in hell) or he moves on

1) I don’t think GT would want him this time but for argument sake let’s say they did

Do you really think Capel isn’t gonna shop himself this year? His stock will never be better than this year. If he wanted to reset his clock and finish his career at a HM he either forces an extension (not happening, no chance in hell) or he moves on
Guess we’re going to have to wait and see , but I think he’s fully committed to Pitts success . Anything you post in regards to him I view as just gibberish .

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

Yep. He has to cash in on this season. That's just business. He would be stupid to leave millions on the table by not pushing for an extension.

If Pitt refuses to extend, he should absolutely shop himself around, aggressively. I don't think he would be high on any P6 list, but coaching searches are fluid, and schools rarely land the first few names on their wish list. You just never know.

I think Pitt should give a one year roll over. If you extended him previously based on the belief in stability and faith that better results will follow, I don't think it's wise to tell him to go pound sand when he actually delivers tangible results.

Yep. He has to cash in on this season. That's just business. He would be stupid to leave millions on the table by not pushing for an extension.

If Pitt refuses to extend, he should absolutely shop himself around, aggressively. I don't think he would be high on any P6 list, but coaching searches are fluid, and schools rarely land the first few names on their wish list. You just never know.

I think Pitt should give a one year roll over. If you extended him previously based on the belief in stability and faith that better results will follow, I don't think it's wise to tell him to go pound sand when he actually delivers tangible results.
I don’t think any sort of extra years are coming this year.

What the hell are you talking about? The jury is definitely still out on Capel.

Capel deserves to be ACC Coach of the year. He actually made the tough decisions that saved the season (move on from Hugley and suspend Dior). While it's not always pretty, this team has played hard and with a lot of energy on most nights. Kudos to him and his staff.

I'm still highly doubtful he's going to work out long term. I think his contract runs through 2027. It will be interesting to see how Pitt plays it this off-season and how Chapel plays it.
Personally, I think Hugley leaves but Dior stays. I feel like using the transfer portal this past recruiting cycle was the only way to save him from being on the hot seat, and it did. We can find another big body forward to go with Fede and the twins, who should be in the weight room as soon as the season ends.

Say Capel does in fact get out at year's end. What better time to hire Rick Pitino after the CBS sportsline article on him yesterday? I kid, but not fully.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT