ADVERTISEMENT

Stallings officially set this program back 7 seasons…

Does Georgia Tech have similar recruiting restrictions in basketball that they do in football? I know that’s not an easy place to win in football. There’s a reason why they were a triple team for so long.
Jeff Capel isn’t leaving Pitt to go to Ga Tech period .

He’s not leaving Pitt for a very long time if he continues to to have success in identifying portal pieces that fit as he’s done this year .

He’s bringing in two very talented freshman , he has Fede and the twins to go along with Hinson and Dior . The future looks bright .

Will they become a power in the ACC yr in and yr out no they won’t, but no one expects the Pitt program to rival Duke , Virginia and UNC every yr .

He’s won more ACC games this yr than JD ever did . Look forward not backwards Panther fans .

Does anyone really expect a big bidding war for JC when his contract comes up for renewal ? Where Pitt bows out …it will never come to it as Pitt will extend him just like they did with PN .

Like it or not he’s found a home and he’s doing a damn good job right now and I for one want him to stay now that’s he’s found a formula that’s working .

All of you out there that think they know bb better than the coaches he’s proving you that you don’t know sh.t , with the right players he’s an excellent coach as he’s showing us this year . Get use to JC as HC because he’s going to be here awhile .

ps …Pitt demise wasn’t do to Stallings it was 100% on Barnes and the boosters who pushed JD out and hired him.
Played golf with a Vandy grad recently and he said the fan base celebrated when Pitt bought him out .
Vandy fan base annual group photo:

abandoned-bleachers-in-front-of-a-baseball-court-in-tuscany-italy-2FK0G1G.jpg

What the hell are you talking about? The jury is definitely still out on Capel.
Yeah , you’re right the guy has his team that everyone has all but buried in position to win the ACC . One unnamed poster said this team was equal to Stallings 2 team in talent ! His team has won more games than any other Pitt team in the ACC . He has two young studs coming in . He has enough returning talent to be optimistic that this isn’t a one time fluke yr .

Capels going nowhere get use to it .

He should’ve been let go last yr and wasn’t and now Heather looks like a genius to have believed in him ( I’m sure his contract came into play ) . Another decent season and he’s extended again if not sooner .

The thing about Capel and this year, compared to the last 2-3 years is, he's been turning over his team every year and bringing in transfers every year, it's not like he rebuilt the program as much as that he brought in the right combination of transfers this time.

Once again you ruin all your credibility with this kind of gibberish.

ps ..Hugley was hurt when when you made this idiotic proclamation.
Bro a healthy Hugley playing and this team wouldn't even be sniffing 2nd place and a most likely NCAA Tournament berth. He would be demanding the ball over and over, the rest of the team would eventually get fed up and the chemistry would suck and Hugley also can't defend. It was fortunate that he was hurt and left the team because Fede emerged. And that is the kind of big the team needed.

Bro a healthy Hugley playing and this team wouldn't even be sniffing 2nd place and a most likely NCAA Tournament berth. He would be demanding the ball over and over, the rest of the team would eventually get fed up and the chemistry would suck and Hugley also can't defend. It was fortunate that he was hurt and left the team because Fede emerged. And that is the kind of big the team needed.
Stop making sense of what I predicted 2 years ago!

Reactions: PittPoker
You’re clueless. Hugley of last year this team is significantly better

The John hugley hatred is really weird. I don’t understand how adding a guy that averaged 15 and 8 last year would make them worse.

His style of play is simply not conducive to this team and what this team does best. In short, he would make others around him worse.

He was just horribly out of shape when he gave it a go early in the year. He was a total just a tot liability. You saw the games.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
His style of play is simply not conducive to this team and what this team does best. In short, he would make others around him worse.

He was just horribly out of shape when he gave it a go early in the year. He was a total just a tot liability. You saw the games.
I’m talking about if he was at last years level

The John hugley hatred is really weird. I don’t understand how adding a guy that averaged 15 and 8 last year would make them worse.
Because it wasn’t an efficient PPG, with the amount of minutes he played 7 rebounds should fall in his lap, and he was THE. WORST. POST. DEFENDER.

His post game DOES NOT translate to what we are doing now. Space and pace. Not dinosaur ball. If you’re going to play dinosaur ball you need to have someone extremely efficient.

I don't know a nice way to say it but you're right and people who disagree don't really understand modern basketball. This is like people who thought Luke Garza could be a great NBA player because of his college play despite his style.

I don't know a nice way to say it but you're right and people who disagree don't really understand modern basketball. This is like people who thought Luke Garza could be a great NBA player because of his college play despite his style.
I think he’s a useful piece for the game situations that call for it. Kinda like Mylyjeal Poteat was at VT on Saturday. But he’s not a centerpiece for a good team. Maybe in the Big Ten, but not in the ACC.

sometimes addition by subtraction. WVU became better when they let go of leading scorer Drew Schifino years back. Not saying these situations are any way similar as by all accounts Hughley seems to be a great team mate. But maybe he would fit better somewhere else.

sometimes addition by subtraction. WVU became better when they let go of leading scorer Drew Schifino years back. Not saying these situations are any way similar as by all accounts Hughley seems to be a great team mate. But maybe he would fit better somewhere else.
Yeah he's such a great teammate he hasn't been on the bench at all since early January.

Why is it PERIOD he isn’t leaving for GT?

1) I don’t think GT would want him this time but for argument sake let’s say they did

2. His good friend Andrew Slater put on Twitter Capel wanted to win and get out

Do you really think Capel isn’t gonna shop himself this year? His stock will never be better than this year. If he wanted to reset his clock and finish his career at a HM he either forces an extension (not happening, no chance in hell) or he moves on

Capel would absolutely listen to what GT offered. He's 2 bad seasons away from being fired here. That sounds mean but that's just reality. GT resets his clock. That said, with what he has lined up next year, he may feel his coaching future is brighter at Pitt. I dont think GT offers him. Too much risk on their part. I also dont think he would take GT but he'd listen.

What’s Georgia Tech’s level of investment like? We know that Pitt is one of the top 25 spenders in college basketball (or close). I would be very surprised if Georgia Tech was close to that.

Capel would absolutely listen to what GT offered. He's 2 bad seasons away from being fired here. That sounds mean but that's just reality. GT resets his clock. That said, with what he has lined up next year, he may feel his coaching future is brighter at Pitt. I dont think GT offers him. Too much risk on their part. I also dont think he would take GT but he'd listen.
Seriously I doubt GT would be interested in Capel. What has he shown? He sucked here for 4 seasons and yes he deserves credit for this team but I don't think that would garner interest from many P5 programs. There needs to be a few seasons of good basketball before that would happen.

Seriously I doubt GT would be interested in Capel. What has he shown? He sucked here for 4 seasons and yes he deserves credit for this team but I don't think that would garner interest from many P5 programs. There needs to be a few seasons of good basketball before that would happen.
He did turn them down before they settled on Pastner though. So maybe he’s not option 1, but maybe option 4?

I think you’re underestimating how dumb ADs are
In their defense, coaching searches are tough. You have a limited amount of time to make a hire, and fielding tons of calls, a lot from candidates just using your school for leverage. Also, there are the monied boosters working in the background. The AD rarely gets to make the final decision. They just walk the new coach to the podium and are sometimes on the hook for it if things don't pan out.

In their defense, coaching searches are tough. You have a limited amount of time to make a hire, and fielding tons of calls, a lot from candidates just using your school for leverage. Also, there are the monied boosters working in the background. The AD rarely gets to make the final decision. They just walk the new coach to the podium and are sometimes on the hook for it if things don't pan out.
Oh really? Was the Stallings hire tough? Todd Turner bribed Barnes and it was done quick.

Oh really? Was the Stallings hire tough? Todd Turner bribed Barnes and it was done quick.
Highly doubt Stallings was the first choice. It probably became apparent Pitt wasn't going to get their top line choices and they looked elsewhere. Stallings resume was probably as good or better than anyone else on their second tier.

Let's be honest here, if Stallings had 5 or 6 years, he would probably had at least as much success as the current regime. That's not saying much, but his resume says as much.

Highly doubt Stallings was the first choice. It probably became apparent Pitt wasn't going to get their top line choices and they looked elsewhere. Stallings resume was probably as good or better than anyone else on their second tier.

Let's be honest here, if Stallings had 5 or 6 years, he would probably had at least as much success as the current regime. That's not saying much, but his resume says as much.
Why do you shill for stallings so much

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg

Complete Bull. He had Artis and Young and Cam Johnson and Sheldon Jeter and he finished with a losing record. The players hated him. They tuned him out. If he had 5 or 6 years the basketball program wouldn't be able to beat division 3 schools and there would be 200 people on avg going to the Pete for games. Unless it was Duke when they'd bring thousands of their fans. Not sure what is up with your love affair of Stallings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT