ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford - Coronavirus fatality rate under 45 almost 0%

I think the best comparison for young healthier folks is the military data. So far, there have been about 12501 active duty cases. About half have recovered so far, with about 300 hospitalizations, and only 3 fatalities. Assuming these were athletic types with likely no medical conditions, given the strict military enlistment criteria, it is very low odds of death in young healthy folks.

By comparison, the DoD lists about 2600 cases among their civilian employees with about 22 deaths. For contractors about 9 deaths for 1100 cases. Likely in worse overall health versus active duty peers.

So by analogy, for D1 football and basketball combined this year if all players were to contract, we should probably hear about 300 players needing hospitalization and about 2 players would die.

However, America is not healthy. We had an 11 year old with pre-existing conditions pass in Miami yesterday. I have had a friend who lost both of his parents within a week. I have also know people with mild cases thankfully and asymptomatic people through contact tracing. But if the vector seeds are the young folks who work in all essential businesses like grocery stores, banks, restaurants, wal-mart’s, hospitals, etc., it is only a matter of time before it hits the elderly. So for D1 athletes, minimal deaths, for older coaching staff, food vendors, and families, slightly elevated risk...

Last edited:
This was a very sad story I was following. I figured once he wasn't making improvement after a few months, it was just a matter of time. The truth of the matter is, even though its a small percentage, there HAVE been healthy people under 45 that have died from this (I am sure someone will come on here and say the odds of you getting struck by lightning at this age or dying in a car crash are higher). Situations like this are definitely the exception, but what makes this so scary. Some people show no symptoms and some get so sick.

Personally, my biggest concern in that age group is long term impacts. There are a lot of people who can not smell/taste months later, lung damage, and strokes/heart attacks that can result from getting Covid. A lot of people who didn't die in 9/11 immediately, had long term damage to their lungs and died earlier than they would have, had they not been involved.

As other smart people have pointed out, it is myopic to only focus on the fatality rate. A stay in the ICU is no joke. Quarantining from everyone - even your family - for 2+ weeks is no joke. Potentially permanent lung damage is no joke. Lots of bad things can happen to you when you get infected with COVID, some of them irreversible. Let's not be cavalier about this.

As other smart people have pointed out, it is myopic to only focus on the fatality rate. A stay in the ICU is no joke. Quarantining from everyone - even your family - for 2+ weeks is no joke. Potentially permanent lung damage is no joke. Lots of bad things can happen to you when you get infected with COVID, some of them irreversible. Let's not be cavalier about this.
That's the problem with the "numbers". Cases versus deaths is one look but problems that never go away seem to be an after thought to those who want to play with the numbers. Permanent damage is nothing to cast aside as you pointed out!

"...were not hospitalized for their illness, yet have been feeling sick for months after their initial flu-like respiratory symptoms subsided. According to an internal survey within the group, members – the vast majority of whom are under 50 – have experienced symptoms including facial paralysis, seizures, hearing and vision loss, headaches, memory loss, diarrhea, serious weight loss and more."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/06/coronavirus-covid-19-mild-symptoms-who

yeah haven’t we pretty much always known this? Doesn’t change anything does it? Is it ok to get the virus and spread it to kill old people at a 5% clip? Just wear a mask... everyone when they are anywhere near others not in their family. Pretty simple. Hundreds of other countries have mastered it
All we have to do is wear a mask and end the transmission of diseases. Why haven't we been doing this forever?

"...were not hospitalized for their illness, yet have been feeling sick for months after their initial flu-like respiratory symptoms subsided. According to an internal survey within the group, members – the vast majority of whom are under 50 – have experienced symptoms including facial paralysis, seizures, hearing and vision loss, headaches, memory loss, diarrhea, serious weight loss and more."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/06/coronavirus-covid-19-mild-symptoms-who
What percentage have experienced these?

Isn't that the disclaimer on every pharmaceutical commercial? With this standard we must ban all medicine.

Reactions: Farnox
All we have to do is wear a mask and end the transmission of diseases. Why haven't we been doing this forever?

5e5d2aa1fee23d10847a28f8

Yes, exactly. Having a side affect from taking life-improving, or even life-sustaining medication is the same as experiencing the symptom of a disease.
But those are symptoms of a disease at likely the same frequency.

But you will have no news that goes against your ideology. Nothing will satisfy you but all people following the orders of your leaders.

So very Soviet of you.

Reactions: pitt90seven
Because we have too many proudly ignorant people -
Who think it’s asking too much to think about others instead of themselves
You are ignorant to my comment. Don't be so ignorant while you call others ignorant. That makes you the stupidest of all.

Not only stupidest, but also very dangerous. Your hunger to control others without really understanding the whole of the consequences makes you akin to the greatest fools in history.

You are ignorant to my comment. Don't be so ignorant while you call others ignorant. That makes you the stupidest of all.

Not only stupidest, but also very dangerous. Your hunger to control others without really understanding the whole of the consequences makes you akin to the greatest fools in history.

Mah freedum!

Why are we still doing this?

I suspect some people just want to be entertained with sports and this justifies it in their minds. It’s clear that some people see the athletes only as vessels for their amusement. I don’t know if they should or shouldn’t play but I do know it’s not just as simple as they’re young they’ll be fine. Even if none die anyone getting infected potentially (and likely) has implications far beyond themselves.

https://www.talentsmart.com/articles/8-Ways-Smart-People-Act-Stupid-1501075892-p-1.html

Reactions: TJFAIRLIE

that can go both ways. Maybe those who are overwhelmed with fear should stop asking others to accommodate their lifestyles for ones fears. I have sent 10-15 people for testing today. None had symptoms and all were scared about exposures. Common sense is gone. I care about severity of disease. I’m looking for COVIF positive patients who have the cough of an 80 yr old smoker since he was 3. I haven’t seen that for over a month. What I have seen is URI symptoms over the last month that appears to be a watered down common cold. To say they are mildly sick is an exaggeration

that can go both ways. Maybe those who are overwhelmed with fear should stop asking others to accommodate their lifestyles for ones fears. I have sent 10-15 people for testing today. None had symptoms and all were scared about exposures. Common sense is gone. I care about severity of disease. I’m looking for COVIF positive patients who have the cough of an 80 yr old smoker since he was 3. I haven’t seen that for over a month. What I have seen is URI symptoms over the last month that appears to be a watered down common cold. To say they are mildly sick is an exaggeration
You are correct. Such fearful people overreact and not just about this. They emote through life. The problem is that these overreactions are leading to consequences for everyone.

Collective consequences sounds like some commie gobbledygook. That’s because it is.

I’m just amazed at all of the people rushing to get tested today. The reasons are scratchy throat, runny nose, I heard a friend is quarantined, my job wants me tested even though I do not have symptoms, etc, etc.

I haven’t seen a sick person of concern in over a month. The common cold symptoms are worse than what I’m seeing now. Quit focusing on number of cases and actually look at symptoms and hospitalizations. This currently isn’t even close to the flu right now. The flu kills young people. What we have hear is a virus without symptoms. Maybe things will change but I can definitely say this COVID has changed dramatically and the biggest issue now is fear of exposure. The actually disease is unremarkable

Reactions: FireballZ
I’m just amazed at all of the people rushing to get tested today. The reasons are scratchy throat, runny nose, I heard a friend is quarantined, my job wants me tested even though I do not have symptoms, etc, etc.

I haven’t seen a sick person of concern in over a month. The common cold symptoms are worse than what I’m seeing now. Quit focusing on number of cases and actually look at symptoms and hospitalizations. This currently isn’t even close to the flu right now. The flu kills young people. What we have hear is a virus without symptoms. Maybe things will change but I can definitely say this COVID has changed dramatically and the biggest issue now is fear of exposure. The actually disease is unremarkable

Most people are tested to find disease so that those people do not transmit the disease to others who are at risk. That is the correct thing to do. Protect others even if you care not for yourself. Same as why to wear a mask. Those of you who think this disease is like the flu have never been in an ICU on a ventilator. This disease is nothing like the flu. I agree that deaths are not an important statistic about Covid. Hospitalizations is the most important statistic.

130k excess deaths isn’t “unremarkable”.

And it’s not binary - there are quite a few people with permanent issues that survived

(And I phrased it as excess deaths because I don’t have the energy to argue the nuance of what counts and what doesn’t)

The thing about the flu is that it also has “asymtomic” and “mildly symptomatic” cases that have not been studied that closely. But what that means is that the flu death rate is likely overstated, even as low as it is. So even if this is sub .5%....and it might be...the difference between it and flu is still likely in the order of 10x. And that’s a big deal when scaled and a huge deal when impacting old people p

I don’t think Covid has changed - I think the people it’s infecting has. And thats a mitigating factor and long as it doesn’t get to the vulnerable.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

Hospitalizations are back up to 37,000 nationally - about the same as we were mid-May. But things have basically flipped and the states that were hit hardest right off the bat are now much lower (New York at same # as Mid-March) and other states which were initially spared have exploded (Texas is at 8,100....almost 1 in 4 hospitalizations in the US is in Texas; Arizona at 3,100; North Carolina and Georgia are at all-time highs).

Glad you are seeing easier cases, but the numbers in the South are dire. And people down there absolutely should be afraid of exposure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT